New Topic Respond to this Topic
Vyill
Vyill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 03:30 PM Reply

So there's this bass/vocoded thing from this borgore tune, and I REALLY wanna know how to make it. It starts at 1:04. It sounds like "YEA YEA YEA"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5WxZNIpszs

I know it's not modern talking or anything, and I've tried downsampling some sines but no work. help?

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 03:36 PM Reply

At 4/18/13 03:30 PM, Vyill wrote: So there's this bass/vocoded thing from this borgore tune, and I REALLY wanna know how to make it. It starts at 1:04. It sounds like "YEA YEA YEA"

I know it's not modern talking or anything, and I've tried downsampling some sines but no work. help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pliFwbiWNbc

Vyill
Vyill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 05:20 PM Reply

At 4/18/13 03:36 PM, wandschrank wrote:
At 4/18/13 03:30 PM, Vyill wrote: So there's this bass/vocoded thing from this borgore tune, and I REALLY wanna know how to make it. It starts at 1:04. It sounds like "YEA YEA YEA"

That's close, but still not really what I'm looking for. The sound I'm looking for sounds really "human." Is there some downsampling I need to do that I'm not getting?

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 05:25 PM Reply

At 4/18/13 05:20 PM, Vyill wrote:
That's close, but still not really what I'm looking for. The sound I'm looking for sounds really "human." Is there some downsampling I need to do that I'm not getting?

I'd simply play around with filters & effects until I achieve that specific sound, it still does not sound too "human" to me.. I think it's possible with massive and a few effects.

There are songs with "talking basses" which sound a lot more human, and people keep discussing how to reproduce them - Vocal samples, talk boxes and so on.

Vyill
Vyill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 05:49 PM Reply

At 4/18/13 05:25 PM, wandschrank wrote:
At 4/18/13 05:20 PM, Vyill wrote:
I'd simply play around with filters & effects until I achieve that specific sound, it still does not sound too "human" to me.. I think it's possible with massive and a few effects.

There are songs with "talking basses" which sound a lot more human, and people keep discussing how to reproduce them - Vocal samples, talk boxes and so on.

The thing with this borgore bass I'm trying to get is it doesn't sound like the typical "YOY" or "YAH" sound you usually get out of talker basses. It sounds almost like an actual "YEAH." I have WOW, which is a good talkbox, but still, I can't achieve it, even with that video...

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 05:57 PM Reply

At 4/18/13 05:49 PM, Vyill wrote:
The thing with this borgore bass I'm trying to get is it doesn't sound like the typical "YOY" or "YAH" sound you usually get out of talker basses. It sounds almost like an actual "YEAH." I have WOW, which is a good talkbox, but still, I can't achieve it, even with that video...

Try using the performer in Massive instead of a LFO to achieve different vowels / "words". The Yay and Yoys and Wows and Lols are the easiest to make, though. My newest, unfinished track also has a "talky" bass, but it sounds very different from the one you posted, so it won't be of any help if I sent you the preset. :/

Anyhow, maybe someone else can help you out more. I'd have to try around for a while, and I sadly don't have the time for that due to exams. :/

Vyill
Vyill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 06:26 PM Reply

At 4/18/13 05:57 PM, wandschrank wrote:
Try using the performer in Massive instead of a LFO to achieve different vowels / "words". The Yay and Yoys and Wows and Lols are the easiest to make, though. My newest, unfinished track also has a "talky" bass, but it sounds very different from the one you posted, so it won't be of any help if I sent you the preset. :/

Anyhow, maybe someone else can help you out more. I'd have to try around for a while, and I sadly don't have the time for that due to exams. :/

No problem! I didn't know about that performer tip for vowels (I knew what the performer was tho, obviously :b). Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll just sit here, tweaking my basses, hoping for more help from somebody.

Vyill
Vyill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 01:01 AM Reply

Still nobody who can help me get this sound?

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 02:25 AM Reply

its not bitcrushed/downsampled, its just super lazy filtering that gets so crackly it almost sounds bitcrushed.

just mess with the cutoff on the scream filter in massive, should take about 30 seconds of thinking.

Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 03:16 AM Reply

At 4/18/13 05:57 PM, wandschrank wrote:
The Yay and Yoys and Wows and Lols are the easiest

I'd love to hear a bass LOL during a drop lol

BBS Signature
Vyill
Vyill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 09:52 AM Reply

At 4/20/13 02:25 AM, jpbear wrote: its not bitcrushed/downsampled, its just super lazy filtering that gets so crackly it almost sounds bitcrushed.

just mess with the cutoff on the scream filter in massive, should take about 30 seconds of thinking.

But see, the bass isn't that simple. It's not your typical talker. Yes I know it's crazy filter, but messing with the scream filter on massive isn't cutting it. I don't think it's that simple to make.

frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Musician
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 10:36 AM Reply

Have you tried slappin da bass?

Slappin da bass.

I couldn't resist. I say keep tweaking wandschrank's suggestion until you make your own unique sound.

Check it! :) //// Never stop making music. Play MOTORJOUST!!!Check it! :)

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 10:39 AM Reply

to be honest you can't get a 100% accurate sound unless if you ask the dude who made it
so yeah, wanderworld's and jpbear's suggestions are probably the closest thing you can get

AetherX
AetherX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Anybody know how to do this bass? Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 02:53 AM Reply

Don't get too caught up with Massive. Although you can probably get close, I would bet money that this was made with FM synthesis. I made something really similar with Sytrus in about thirty seconds.

To make stuf go YEA YEA instead of YOY YOY or the like, envelope shape is key. The YEA sound should just be a ramp up and not down, more saw than triangle.

Even if you don't use FL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O86Q4SfTLto

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--
Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!