00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jesspionic just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Being a girl = More success on NG?

4,783 Views | 53 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ok, so right off the bat I am not sexist, I know thats a extreme but lets just put that in a box in the corner.

I enjoy listening to songs from people I've never heard of before, especially those with not so many fans because I think thats where you find the gems on the audio portal.
Over the past few weeks I've noticed a trend, one perhaps others have noticed too.

Being female on the audio portal at least (I don't check Flash/Art portals so I can't say) will pull in quite a audience to your songs, but not just in views.
I've noticed that female artists will get more reviews, ratings, fans, blog replies and I've talked to a few of the female composers I know here and they often get PMs that are more "Hey how are you?" as opposed to "Commission" or stuff like that.

So what I'm just saying is, am I the only one who notices this?
I'm not making this thread to like talk about a solution, it isn't a problem ergo it doesn't need to be fixed. Its just a observation.

Its no secret that NG since its humble beginnings has attracted a lot of very young children and teens. Hell when I was 15 or so we used to bunch around the PCs in the classroom watching madness videos and laughing our asses off.
I reckon it could just be a youth thing. Paying more "attention" to female composers for the sake of them being girls.

I dunno...is it just me who sees it?

Let me know...its a interesting topic I think.

Kkthnx!

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 01:58:39

At 4/18/13 01:56 AM, Braiton wrote: I'm getting a "hello, you must be new to the internet" vibe here.
No offense intended right.

Umm well no, I've obviously been sitting on my arse on the internet for an extremely long time but I mean, are you acknowledging that you know its going on?

I'm literally just wondering am I going crazy or do others notice what I notice O.o

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 02:01:35

At 4/18/13 01:48 AM, LazyBucks wrote: Being female on the audio portal at least will pull in quite a audience to your songs, but not just in views.
I've noticed that female artists will get more reviews, ratings, fans, blog replies

Ha
Ha
Hahahahaha

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 02:02:17

At 4/18/13 02:01 AM, alternativesolution wrote:
At 4/18/13 01:48 AM, LazyBucks wrote: Being female on the audio portal at least will pull in quite a audience to your songs, but not just in views.
I've noticed that female artists will get more reviews, ratings, fans, blog replies
Ha
Ha
Hahahahaha

I don't get the joke :L

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 02:03:12

At 4/18/13 02:01 AM, alternativesolution wrote: Ha
Ha
Hahahahaha

I have been absent for a while, but still

ha

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 02:05:28

At 4/18/13 02:02 AM, LazyBucks wrote: I don't get the joke :L

I guess it's not more of "being a girl = more success on NG" but rather "hey look I'm a girl isn't that unusual here = more success on NG"
plus a multitude of other factors like talent, self-marketing, and blah blah blah

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 02:06:45

At 4/18/13 02:05 AM, alternativesolution wrote:
At 4/18/13 02:02 AM, LazyBucks wrote: I don't get the joke :L
I guess it's not more of "being a girl = more success on NG" but rather "hey look I'm a girl isn't that unusual here = more success on NG"
plus a multitude of other factors like talent, self-marketing, and blah blah blah

Yeh, I guess thats a interesting way to look at it.

Self-marketing on NG isn't really a thing, you can't promote on the forums and news posts just get washed away in the sea of news posts, but I get what your saying.

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 02:16:12

At 4/18/13 01:48 AM, LazyBucks wrote: I dunno...is it just me who sees it?

I think the female artists get noticed on NG because there aren't many of them, but I don't think being a female helps much. After all, last I checked, there are still far far far more successful male artists on NG than female artists.

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 02:21:25

I'm not sure having hundreds of horny teenagers send you PMs asking for tits should really be considered "Success".

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 02:29:05

At 4/18/13 02:16 AM, HalcyonicFalconX wrote:
After all, last I checked, there are still far far far more successful male artists on NG than female artists.

Yeah, so I don't really get the whole female-gets-more-attention-thing.
On a side note, what I find annoying is that you actively have to appear like a girl for people to consider the possibility of you being one, which I've never actually aimed or not aimed for... >.>

like do we need to talk that different or what?

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 02:35:40

At 4/18/13 02:29 AM, alternativesolution wrote:
like do we need to talk that different or what?

Nope. Just post up a profile pic with bewbs and dat's enuff! :P

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 02:39:36

uhh it sounds from you post that it's more "being a moderate to high profile female artist on the internet= disgusting neckbeards become hapless sycophants".

the only way it makes a difference is if you're a female who flaunts the whole "omg i'm a gurl who makes fruityloops isn't that unique" angle, and that shit is well overdone on NG haha

also paragonX9 is probably a dude

p.s. i am gay

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 03:19:19

Hm... Next time I see a new guy posting in the forum asking how to get more exposure, I'll tell him to talk like this.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 03:26:17

At 4/18/13 03:19 AM, Step wrote: Hm... Next time I see a new guy posting in the forum asking how to get more exposure, I'll tell him to talk like this.

Oh joy! xD

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 05:04:59

Um no. And I say this from experience.

I had just as much sporting chance on NG as anybody when it came to the NGADM (which is probably the most high-profile thing I'd say). I wound up getting third, losing to Waterflame mind you. I had a fairly average number of supporters for having joined in 2011 -- maybe a little higher than most who joined in 2011, but there were still people who outright beat me by a few hundred.

If such were really the case, LazyBucks, we'd expect to have all NG's female artists under the spotlight. I can easily name a few. That being said, I don't know of anyone that does send me PMs asking me how I am, and the only PMs I get which say "How are you?" are PMs from people who have devoutly supported me; never from first-timers. Also, I NEVER get PMs about commissions, which, in a nutshell, should explain my most-of-the-time-awful luck with making music for outstanding Flash submissions. There are people who do ask if they can use my music (read: for free), and I get those PMs more often than anything... I respond according to whether their project is non-profit or otherwise.

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 06:39:33

It's not just a Newgrounds thing, it's just about everything that's been dominated by males in the past. A prime example is to just look at the way females are marketted, and market themselves. It's rarely about "listen to my music, it's really good", but rather "look at my body, I'm a girl".

Regardless, males will tend to be more apt to listen to a track, and take the time to contact the artist / review if the artist is female. It mostly boils down to men being men.

That being said, just because you're a female artist, in any aspect, doesn't mean that you're using your sex to market and push your music (although one couldn't really blame you for it as long as the music is a priority), but don't be surprised if you get more attention because you're female.

As a male, I will admit, that I would be mroe likely to want to talk to a female who has something in common, especially music making, than I would be to want to talk to a dude the majority of the time. That being said, I don't discriminate, and always will say it how it is, but I see it happen all of the time where being female plays into the success more than the quality and talent of their art.

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 09:07:07

At 4/18/13 06:39 AM, Ryskie wrote: ...It mostly boils down to men being men.

Yup that sums it up pretty good.
For someone to support an artist they have to empathize with him and not just like their music, at least i wont follow a good musician that acts like an ass...and for males empathizing with females is far more easy because....well hormones and stuff...men being men!

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...

Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 09:13:09

At 4/18/13 09:07 AM, DivoFST wrote:
At 4/18/13 06:39 AM, Ryskie wrote: ...It mostly boils down to men being men.
Yup that sums it up pretty good.
For someone to support an artist they have to empathize with him and not just like their music, at least i wont follow a good musician that acts like an ass...and for males empathizing with females is far more easy because....well hormones and stuff...men being men!

Wonder what that says about us girls, who normally empathise with everybody...... (emphasis on "normally")

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 09:18:21

Well I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who engaged in this discussion.

I was honestly expected someone to get mad at me for making this thread but you all raised some awesome points.
I think I got what I was looking for, some interested views on the matter.

Thanks guys!

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 09:38:34

@alternativesolution: You don't count, you have no girly anime profile picture. ;D

At 4/18/13 05:04 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Um no. And I say this from experience.

I had just as much sporting chance on NG as anybody when it came to the NGADM (which is probably the most high-profile thing I'd say). I wound up getting third, losing to Waterflame mind you. I had a fairly average number of supporters for having joined in 2011 -- maybe a little higher than most who joined in 2011, but there were still people who outright beat me by a few hundred.

Well, that's a contest. But a contest does not equal getting fans and PMs on this page, it gives you recognition from other artists (apat from a spotlight). I sometimes see profiles of "girls" with 10 or more fans who haven't posted anything yet (when I search for profiles with girly anime pictures!11). That's rarely the case if you're a guy and don't post anything.

All of this is not surprising, though - It's just the internet.

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 09:44:15

At 4/18/13 09:38 AM, wandschrank wrote:
At 4/18/13 05:04 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Stuff
More stuff

To be perfectly fair, some guys are guilty of that too :P

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 12:03:36

At 4/18/13 09:13 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 4/18/13 09:07 AM, DivoFST wrote:
Wonder what that says about us girls, who normally empathise with everybody...... (emphasis on "normally")

It has less to do with music and art than one would think, it's more along the lines of males (can only speak for myself for certain) tend to be attracked to females (or males) who share the same interests, and in this case, music.

However what I tend to see happen is females tend to get more attention, but will be placed into the 'kid sister' role more often than not among male peers in the music industry, where as males either get the full peer treatment or 'big brother' role. I personally try to not place roles on people based on sex, as who really cares if your male or female when it comes to art. Sure I may take a larger personal interest in a female who does music, but as far as the actual business or music itself, I will help or take help from anyone as long as they are an honest respectful person.

It does have it's advantages being female in almost any industry, but it also has it's disadvantages (same as being male). But over the last 10+ years I've been doing music, I have started to see things change to where it's a more level playing field if you will, but being a female in a male 'dominated' place or industry will always help you stand out.

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 12:41:25

Being a female on Newgrounds is going to make you stand out. I'm sure dudes have realized this, and set their gender to female, added fancy feminine pics instead of a lion fighting a shark as their profile pic, while making sure to add plenty of emoticons to their posts as to reinforce the illusion.

I think DJBjira first uncovered the Paragon9x conspiracy, and I tend to agree with him here.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 13:17:08

why do you think so many regs here get sex changes lol

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 13:43:29

At 4/18/13 11:51 AM, Elitistinen wrote: To be honest, female musicians are more talented than male, mainly because most of them can sing.

Hahaha

BBS Signature

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 13:46:37

At 4/18/13 01:17 PM, jpbear wrote: why do you think so many regs here get sex changes lol

The OP mentioned it first. But if you notice a trend such as... "Wow, people are paying more attention to the girls on Newgrounds. I want to be famous." then, is it not logical to jump on that bandwagon? I'm not saying this is the case, but I am saying that it very well could be the case.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 13:52:52

At 4/18/13 09:38 AM, wandschrank wrote:
At 4/18/13 05:04 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Stuff
More stuff
To be perfectly fair, some guys are guilty of that too :P

.. that's true.

@Elitistinen:
Yay, let's get a NG SEXCHANGE! lol ^-^ jk (or not??) Wait you pick a female anime avatar for me and I pick one for you! =)

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 14:13:48

Insert ParagonX9 who is one of the oldest members of Newgrounds and one of the oldest contributors to the Audio Portal. Back in 2001 when any female found on the Internet was demanded for tits. Yet her music has been featured in a multitude of games here on Newgrounds and has achieved her own success.

By the way if this was true, then why doesn't LadyArsenic have more followers to her music then? She's a woman. Having tits apparently should garner her success, you know instead of any form of skill right?

You may not be sexist, but you still have a shallow mind OP.

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 14:25:17

At 4/18/13 02:13 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Insert ParagonX9 who is one of the oldest members of Newgrounds and one of the oldest contributors to the Audio Portal. Back in 2001 when any female found on the Internet was demanded for tits. Yet her music has been featured in a multitude of games here on Newgrounds and has achieved her own success.

No one said you couldn't be succesful and get featured in games when you're a female. ParagonX9's success would actually "prove" OP's point.

By the way if this was true, then why doesn't LadyArsenic have more followers to her music then? She's a woman. Having tits apparently should garner her success, you know instead of any form of skill right?

Over 200 is quite a lot. Okay, she started posting songs in 2006, but "Classical" is not one of the more popular genres. Well, in this audio forum it is, but not overall.

Plus, to defend OP again, he never said you don't need skill if you're a female.. that would be absolute rubbish. He just assumed females get more views and fans on NG for their music, which of course is as good as the music of the male members. I also got that impression, and like I've said, it's hardly surprising - It's the internet. And it's NG, full of content which appeals to a pubescent male audience. ;)

Response to Being a girl = More success on NG? 2013-04-18 14:26:57

most artists on here are male.

they just put female because of paragonx9. LOL

lel

BBS Signature