New Topic Respond to this Topic
Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 15:07:12 Reply

Hopefully Family Guy and American Dad will be cancelled soon.

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 15:11:01 Reply

At 4/19/13 11:19 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 4/18/13 01:57 AM, Phobotech wrote:
At 4/18/13 01:42 AM, Darthdenim wrote:
If that's true we know what's next.
Family Guy but with the Flinstones.

I think College Humor summed up the Seth MacFarlane formula nicely.

Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 15:14:11 Reply

Not surprising really, I mean Seth already has a Family guy duplicate. He can't just make another duplicate and hope it does better.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
ZeldaFreak701
ZeldaFreak701
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 15:47:37 Reply

At 4/17/13 11:44 PM, Darthdenim wrote: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2013/04/prime-time-an imation.html

Come share your indifference to this news.

Sounds like it was more MacFarlane's decision than Fox's. Though I could be wrong. Though I find it interesting that this article points out the fact that MacFarlane signs off on every creative decision for Family Guy but not American Dad! That puzzles me because I found American Dad! to be way funnier and more well put together than Family Guy. But Family Guy, when it was MacFarlane's primary show in the late 1990's-early2000's, was much better than it is today. So I don't get it. How did the tables get turned? How did having complete control and good stuff turn into having complete control and crap stuff?

PSN ID: Zeldafreak701 | Gamertag: Zeldafreak701 | 3DS friend code: 0301-9780-8157
You shouldn't have done that....
Sig by BlueHippo <3

BBS Signature
Demonbrunch
Demonbrunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 20:58:11 Reply

Well fuck that shit. I liked that show.

I can edit my signature at will, but I can't edit my post. The hell, Newgrounds?

SneakyGameBoy
SneakyGameBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 21:14:37 Reply

So does this mean Cleveland is going back to Family Guy?

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature
Piemix
Piemix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 22:02:40 Reply

Awwwhhhh naaawwwwwhhhhh!!!!! :'O

Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Movie Buff
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 22:12:47 Reply

Fucking A! Lets try to get a show that's not by Macfarlane this time

I have a penis

BBS Signature
Jeffyx
Jeffyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 22:14:03 Reply

They should make Cleveland and his family move in next door to Peter in Quahog or something. I don't want this to be the end of Cleveland.

"Life is a bitch, so learn how to fuck it" | Become my NG fan! | #teamsuckdick

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 22:21:42 Reply

And it took this long to cancel that shit because...?

Viper
Viper
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 22:50:27 Reply

At 4/19/13 10:14 PM, Jeffyx wrote: They should make Cleveland and his family move in next door to Peter in Quahog or something. I don't want this to be the end of Cleveland.

It'd be better than just getting rid of him entirely.
Though if Cleveland comes back to Family Guy will he act the way he did before or the way he did in The Cleveland Show?

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 23:06:35 Reply

At 4/19/13 10:50 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 4/19/13 10:14 PM, Jeffyx wrote: They should make Cleveland and his family move in next door to Peter in Quahog or something. I don't want this to be the end of Cleveland.
It'd be better than just getting rid of him entirely.
Though if Cleveland comes back to Family Guy will he act the way he did before or the way he did in The Cleveland Show?

That introduces an interesting theory. Is it possible to have two protagonists and their families? Can they expand the show by providing the story of both families going on and off of one each week and having them interact occasionally in the same setting of Quahog? You may say that's crazy but one of McFarlane's better qualities when he's not pushing his liberal agenda down American's throat is to experiment and push the boundaries of a sitcom. (ex: Bank Vault Episode, lesser extent, the Thanksgiving episode) I wouldn't mind it all that much, truth be told, simply on the basis of seeing how he would do it.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
LDAF
LDAF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 23:13:15 Reply

At 4/17/13 11:46 PM, Bryan wrote: Good. I'll never forgive it for trying to fill the timeslot of King of the Hill. It was just a less-funny, more racially-stereotypical version of Family Guy.

First post nails it

been on Neogaf too much :(

Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 23:13:57 Reply

At 4/19/13 11:06 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: That introduces an interesting theory. Is it possible to have two protagonists and their families? Can they expand the show by providing the story of both families going on and off of one each week and having them interact occasionally in the same setting of Quahog? You may say that's crazy but one of McFarlane's better qualities when he's not pushing his liberal agenda down American's throat is to experiment and push the boundaries of a sitcom. (ex: Bank Vault Episode, lesser extent, the Thanksgiving episode) I wouldn't mind it all that much, truth be told, simply on the basis of seeing how he would do it.

That would be an interesting idea. Though it might end up being just The Cleveland Show but in Quahog if they had it so one week it was regular Family Guy, and then next week it was Family Guy but centered around Cleveland. But it would also be interesting if they somehow managed to have both of em working together as one show, but with two protagonists and their families.
Or maybe they could try both of em and see which one turns out better if they end up bringing Cleveland back.

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
redfield95
redfield95
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Art Lover
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-20 02:56:04 Reply

It's about fucking time. I never really liked the show in the first place.

Special thanks to illicit for making the most badass sig ever!
My Steam (Feel free to add me)

BBS Signature
kcnh
kcnh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-20 05:17:19 Reply

I like american dad more than Cleveland show and family guy.

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-20 05:27:57 Reply

At 4/19/13 02:57 PM, Phobotech wrote: Here's a fun game to play, kids! Look at the pattern of Seth MacFarlane's show formula

I bet Seth and Seth fuck all the time.

BBS Signature
Lolzer
Lolzer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-20 05:46:11 Reply

Well it had a good run. *Hats Off* Good bye Cleveland, will miss you, maybe a bit.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Movie Buff
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-20 11:23:49 Reply

I was just saying how this was a show that I personally didn't like. I'm so happy! I have honestly been watching it lately because there has been nothing else on and I can at least now make fun of it. Since the show was dumb and had nothing to do with Cleveland (as it changed his whole family) it deserved it. How many fat dads, hot moms, and awkward kids are there for Macfarlane to work with?!

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

GameChild214
GameChild214
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Filmmaker
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-07 17:06:50 Reply

Lol this was posted on my 18th birthday

Proletarians of the World Unite!

Grammar-Nazi
Grammar-Nazi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-07 20:13:57 Reply

At 4/17/13 11:46 PM, Bryan wrote: Good. I'll never forgive it for trying to fill the timeslot of King of the Hill. It was just a less-funny, more racially-stereotypical version of Family Guy.

You have no idea how much I agree.

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-07 20:50:37 Reply

I think we should all know what show the jewel of the crown is by now.

Cleveland Show cancelled.

BBS Signature
GameChild214
GameChild214
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Filmmaker
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-07 22:33:55 Reply

At 10/7/13 08:50 PM, CosmicRainbow wrote: I think we should all know what show the jewel of the crown is by now.

Agreed, family guy has gotten stale.

Proletarians of the World Unite!

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-07 22:57:27 Reply

At 10/7/13 08:50 PM, CosmicRainbow wrote: I think we should all know what show the jewel of the crown is by now.

That show is okay. I certainly wouldn't call it great.

When I watch Macfarlane's shows I'm always distracted by how creatively bankrupt they are.

He's more of an imitative person than a creative one, in my opinion.

Viper
Viper
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Musician
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-07 23:37:56 Reply

At 10/7/13 10:33 PM, GameChild214 wrote:
Agreed, family guy has gotten stale.

When wasn't Family Guy "stale"?

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 00:12:54 Reply

Seth comes up with every single idea on the show. That's why he total doesn't have a pretty big writing and directing cast for each individual episode.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 02:04:01 Reply

At 4/19/13 03:47 PM, ZeldaFreak701 wrote: How did the tables get turned? How did having complete control and good stuff turn into having complete control and crap stuff?

The simple answer is that American Dad is significantly better than Family Guy ever was, even in its pre-cancellation prime, and you might be giving MacFarlane a little too much credit. Though to be fair (especially since I'm spending the rest of my post shitting on him) there are always a handful of good bits in even the worst episode of Family Guy, I really liked Ted, and I didn't think his Oscar hosting gig was the disaster everyone made it out to be. MacFarlane is a funny guy (and FWIW a pretty great voice actor) but he's very hit or miss and, more importantly, he has no restraint.

Family Guy isn't a fundamentally different show now than it was before it was cancelled, it's just that now MacFarlane and his writers have free reign to indulge their worst tendencies because the show is a huge juggernaut and nobody is going to say "no" to them. So we get all the cheap shock humor, the lazy pop culture references, the repetitive anti-jokes that go on and on for an interminable amount of time.

I also think (and for whatever reason this doesn't come up as often when people talk about the show) that Family Guy's runaway success over the past decade has inflated MacFarlane's ego to the point where rather than just pay homage to All in the Family in his show's opening credits (and in Peter and Lois's voices; hell, look at how much they're drawn to look like Edith and Archie Bunker in the show's original pilot from 1995), he now actually fancies himself the second coming of Norman Lear (which explains The Cleveland Show in the first place: it's MacFarlane's The Jeffersons).

So now because of that attitude Family Guy does all these bullshit "social issue" episodes where we're suddenly expected to take the characters seriously (when previously they had just been interchangeable joke dispensers) and become invested in whatever themes MacFarlane wants to discuss even though the show has done nothing to earn it. Really this is the biggest difference between "new" Family Guy and Family Guy pre-cancellation. Thing is, MacFarlane is no Norman Lear, and for every didactic "issue" episode that tries to shed a sobering light on some bigotry or injustice, there are literally dozens of jokes that baldly reinforce them.

Basically, the difference between then and now is that now MacFarlane has even more complete control, and he also seems to be under the impression that his show is important, which only makes things worse.

Seriously. American Dad is brilliant. Too bad neither MacFarlane nor FOX recognize that and they're putting it out to pasture on TBS, while Family Guy is probably going to drag on forever like The Simpsons. Fuckers.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 11:23:11 Reply

American Dad better than Family Guy? I disagree. While Family Guy is mediocre, I think American Dad is just absolute shit. I find it to be terrible.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
vannila-guerilla
vannila-guerilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 11:26:23 Reply

Maybe there will be new King of the Hill

Be Billy's FriendlBe Billy's Followerl Wii U name: Billy_Martin l PSN: Opackersfan

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 11:37:09 Reply

At 10/8/13 11:26 AM, vannila-guerilla wrote: Maybe there will be new King of the Hill

That would be weird what with Britanny Murphy dead.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature