quabs
quabs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Critiques for my Drawings Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 04:51 PM Reply

Hi all,
I've always loved to draw and on pen and paper, im pretty good (If i do say so myself.) Anyway, i recently got into drawing with Paint Tool Sai, and i would like some honest criticism for my work.

Here is one of my latest works, once again, i appreciate your honestly and don't hold back!

If you want to see more to critique or comment on, please visit my deviant art page and tell me how i can improve. Thanks again.

http://johnajodah.deviantart.com/

Critiques for my Drawings

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Critiques for my Drawings Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 05:14 PM Reply

At 4/17/13 04:51 PM, quabs wrote: i appreciate your honestly and don't hold back!

Alright man. I don't know how old you are so I can't really give you advice based on experience or whatever, so I'll just be general about it.
This is very, very far from perfect. I don't mean to offend you but I personally would not even consider it good.
Anime is an unoriginal style that has been done over and over, beat to death by would be "artists" all over the damn world. And this falls short even in that category.
The anatomy of the character is very off, even by traditional anime standards. The head is way too simple of a shape to look like a head. The head and body are the same width.
The design of the character lacks detail, the mouth is a single line way too close to the chin, the ears are just a colored in outline, the axe looks like two flat shaped glued together.
The lack of reasoning behind the shading makes the whole thing look flat. Try to imagine the placement of a solid light source when adding shades. I do enjoy the color scheme, but the character design itself is pretty generic. If you're going to draw anime, one of the most important things to accomplish is giving your character personality.
To be honest I think you just need more practice and some studying. You display an understanding of what you wish your art to accomplish, so you have the mentality to improve, and there's much room for improvement.
Of course this is a cartoon and you can play with the features as you wish, but if you're trying to improve the quality of your art you might want to spend more time and thought on your work.

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Critiques for my Drawings Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 06:42 PM Reply

At 4/17/13 05:14 PM, 372 wrote:
Alright man. I don't know how old you are so I can't really give you advice based on experience or whatever, so I'll just be general about it.

yes, you should add your age at your user page

This is very, very far from perfect. I don't mean to offend you but I personally would not even consider it good.

thats a bit harsh, the body its ok for the style he is looking for. the head is the main thing to fix

Anime is an unoriginal style that has been done over and over, beat to death by would be "artists" all over the damn world. And this falls short even in that category.

many styles are done to death, i havent seen any modern artist with a completely new style, if he likes anime style, let him do it

The design of the character lacks detail, the mouth is a single line way too close to the chin, the ears are just a colored in outline, the axe looks like two flat shaped glued together.

the body mostly respects anime standards, the axe is a bit off, yes

The lack of reasoning behind the shading makes the whole thing look flat.

most anime styles have little to none shading, more simple = more cute, thats what anime looks for

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Critiques for my Drawings Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 06:56 PM Reply

Age is irrelevant, one of the best and actually successful artists we have from the forum used to be one of our youngest regular posters.
and style is not an excuse to avoid critique, if it looks wonky, it looks wonky, its not going to compromise any artistic vision to make the head a bit smaller, or make the torso a bit shorter.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Critiques for my Drawings Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 06:57 PM Reply

At 4/17/13 06:42 PM, kakalxlax wrote:
At 4/17/13 05:14 PM, 372 wrote:
yes, you should add your age at your user page

thats a bit harsh, the body its ok for the style he is looking for. the head is the main thing to fix

many styles are done to death, i havent seen any modern artist with a completely new style, if he likes anime style, let him do it

the body mostly respects anime standards, the axe is a bit off, yes

The lack of reasoning behind the shading makes the whole thing look flat.
most anime styles have little to none shading, more simple = more cute, thats what anime looks for

I disagree. I stick 100% of what I said. And for the record I am a fan of countless modern artists with unique styles. When trying to use Anime in art, not animation, it's expected to be much more detailed. And I said the reasoning behind his shading, not the amount of it. I also have never seen a good looking anime character without" any shading"

It's pretty rude to comment just trying to undermine my advice.

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Critiques for my Drawings Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 4/17/13 06:57 PM, 372 wrote:

i apologize, i didnt try to say your critics were wrong (in fact i agree with them), i just thought you were being too strict, and criticizing anime style more than the drawing itself

i speed fixed some stuff, didnt looked much into it and didnt make a very detailed fix, but this should show you where to begin with

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Critiques for my Drawings Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 07:20 PM Reply

At 4/17/13 07:05 PM, kakalxlax wrote:
At 4/17/13 06:57 PM, 372 wrote:
i apologize, i didnt try to say your critics were wrong (in fact i agree with them), i just thought you were being too strict, and criticizing anime style more than the drawing itself

He said be honest. And all I said about anime is that it's unoriginal. Which In my opinion, it is.

I also good fix of the head size

Nempatriarch
Nempatriarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critiques for my Drawings Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 08:33 PM Reply

My opinion is that you are struggling with too many things at the same time. Going for anime or manga right from the start will slow you down. I'd let go the manga style for a while and focus in the basics of drawing such as proportions and anatomy.
Then you can go and transform the body as you please and it will look much better. Make it manga or whatever style that uses different proportions.

And about using sai, its the same thing. For starters drawing in pencil is different from drawing in a tablet since a lot of your skill comes from your muscular memory. Your skill wont be transfered from one media to the other just like that, it will take you time to get used to it. So focus in only one, and i'd recommend pencil since digital programs are way to much to handle if you want to focus on basics.

Otherwise, its not bad at all, but i recognize some things that are common in the people that jump right into manga like drawing one eye and covering the other with hair because you cant just get it right.

In any case, just practice, use photos for references and dont stop drawing.

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Critiques for my Drawings Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 02:42 AM Reply

Salutations fellow artist. Welcome to the Art Forum. I hope you enjoy your stay here, and maybe become a part of our community. I know others have said that you shouldn't practice anime and that it is not a very good start at art. Fair enough. Although I would have to politely disagree with the good folks before me, since any start is as good as any other. I happen to think that anime is a good start especially if your a novice in art. Anime is an art style easily accessible to everyone, therefore it would not come as a shock to beginners.

Studying the complicated stuff like anatomy would usually be great but not really recommended to be tackled right away since it could lead to stunted growth. We all have our own pace, and being forced to advance a step unprepared would only lead to bad comsequences. I would advise you to start at the very basic for of anatomy and proportion, which is shapes. Shapes are extremely beneficial to drawing since literally everything can be simplified into easy to read shapes. Shapes would also spare you the strain of worrying about details as it is like I said, simplified.

i have to say the the shading is moderately good. Especially around the scarf. This shows that you possess basic knowledge about contrast and shadows. That's a good foundation to build upon. I really think that you'll turn out to be a good artist if you keep passion, enthusiasm and humility. And with that I say; very good job.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature