New Topic Respond to this Topic
MortalPoet
MortalPoet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Color Theory & Composition Class Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 12:38 PM Reply

I am currently coloring backgrounds for my newest short, and I'm struggling (as I always do) with color choices. I thought it'd be a good idea for me to review Color Theory with you guys, and if you have any tips or tricks you've learned, please share it with the class! :D

WHAT I'VE LEARNED

âEU¢ A background should never compete with your main characters or foreground action. De-saturated, cooler colors recede into the background, while warmer saturated colors pop into the foreground.

âEU¢ Darker colors should be closer to the viewer, while lighter colors will be in the back. This is called atmospheric perspective, and is a very effective way to show depth.

âEU¢ Color schemes are necessary and hard to decide on and stick with. Use sites like https://kuler.adobe.com/ and http://www.colourlovers.com/ to help you decide what color schemes to work with. Pinterest is also a great place to look for inspiration for color and composition!

âEU¢ Composition is a huge topic, but the most basic concept is to learn your "Rule Of Thirds". Instead of placing things in the dead-center, try placing it in the third's of your layout. It automatically becomes more interesting to look at. Unless you have a good reason for placing something in the center, try not to do it. MUST READ: Composition How-To

âEU¢ White space is your friend. As artists who like to draw, it's easy to fill everything with detail and stuff going on. But as story-tellers, it's most important to tell your story in a clear way. Use empty space to give importance to the art needed to tell the story.

I will try to keep posting to this topic to share whit you guys what I learned in my short career as an animator and illustrator.
I am by no means an expert, but we are all always learning, so let's share with each other what we know and try to improve!

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Color Theory & Composition Class Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 03:33 PM Reply

seems solid, keep on goin brudda

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Color Theory & Composition Class Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 12:02 AM Reply

Thanks for posting! Color theory and composition are both huge topics, so I really appreciate you starting a thread on it. a few notes:

-Atmospheric perspective isn't about value (light/dark) so much as it is about a decrease in saturation as space recedes, and colors not only fade in saturation but will shift toward the background color. With most landscapes, this color is light blue.

-When picking color schemes, you can't top a proper understanding of the color wheel and knowing how to draw from it. When i have more time (someday maybe) i'll write up a tutorial for it, but this link communicates a bunch of the relationships that are good to memorize. Plus this one is also good.

-As far as whitespace goes, i think it's better to think of it as negative space, since you aren't always working on white surfaces. Also, huge blank voids are terrific when properly activated (coughcoughorncough), but rather than negative space being intrinsically your friend, I'd say being mindful of your negative space is your friend.
I'm thinking particularly of so many works Ive seen where artists drew a character and left the character totally floating in this unoccupied void, because they were thinking only about their subject and not the composition of the work as they drew. It's not a successful approach unless all you're trying to communicate is character design.

I think though your point was all about clarity of composition, and I agree that this is essential.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Color Theory & Composition Class Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 07:39 AM Reply

Here's a nice little pdf om colour theory if you want to give it a read through, see if there's anything else you may have missed

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Color Theory & Composition Class Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 07:52 AM Reply

At 4/17/13 12:38 PM, MortalPoet wrote: WHAT I'VE LEARNED

what I've learned is I now have three new links to add to my tutorial and tools folders.
So to return the favor. here is Color designer 3

Carry on...

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature