New Topic Respond to this Topic
BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 03:06 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 02:58 PM, Dromedary wrote: http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/48093470152/two-explosi ves-went-off-at-the-boston-marathon-on

love the american public

funny how we claim we're tolerant and then some shit happens

I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 03:06 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 02:58 PM, Dromedary wrote: http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/48093470152/two-explosi ves-went-off-at-the-boston-marathon-on

love the american public

Sounds like a good idea, we round up all these inbred white trash, arm them with a couple of sticks and go send them to the middle east.

what a fine show it will be, fucking cowards.

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 03:07 PM Reply

love the american public

Internet. Brings out the dumb ones the fastest

call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 03:15 PM Reply

Really tragic.

Why can't we all just get along?

Explosions in Boston Marathon

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 03:18 PM Reply

I agree with Putin in calling for international intelligence agencies to come closer together in collaboration, some of these problems could be a lot smaller than they need to be. I also think Russia's intelligence agencies will be taking these threats one step further with Sochi 2014 coming up.

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 04:06 PM Reply

love the american public

Hahaha, and this, people, is what the whole world believes United Statians are all like.

triplenoob
triplenoob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 04:10 PM Reply

love the american public

I loled at "time to bomb the fuck outta the dirty ass sand monkeys in the Middle East." How can you say something like that and get away with it?

[My Art] Sig made by me PM me if you want one just as sexy, or request one here

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 04:20 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 04:06 PM, FBIpolux wrote:

love the american public
Hahaha, and this, people, is what the whole world believes United Statians are all like.

How ironic.

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 04:29 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 04:20 PM, Zachary wrote:
At 4/16/13 04:06 PM, FBIpolux wrote:

love the american public
How ironic.

It is quite ironic indeed. Still, shows how all the bad stuff takes over all the good stuff in the eyes of the public.

Lumber-Jax12
Lumber-Jax12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 05:18 PM Reply

Or it could be ironic (though not really in a literal sense because then that would mean it's an occurrence that's unexpected, and from what I've seen from you, I would expect this) that you now sit back and call those people ignorant for making such comments, while you yourself sit back and make similar comments/jokes about the misfortune of these people.

Really, to default on such a spineless stance on morality and claim there is none, just shows how deeply your ignorance is ingrained to your person. You make these bold claims sitting behind a desk, or on your bed, or whatever clearly sheltered environment it is you are, because you have never been in a situation like one such as this, you can bullshit all you want about your understanding of 'empathy', but if you truly had even a sliver of an experience as these people had you would think twice before you make such a foolish, and childish reply.

And in all honestly, if someone here even did find any of these 'jokes' funny, which again I doubt (though now I can't wait to see all the smartass replies claiming they did find it funny, only in an attempt to get a rise out of me) than for you to laugh at such a calamity, just shows your ignorance, or even better, immaturity.

And for those who want to prove me wrong, here's a thought go to your parent's or any respected adult you may know and slip in such a joke, and see the reaction on their face, I can guarantee it'd be anything but a smirk, and if it is, then I guess we know where the apple fell.

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 06:55 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 10:23 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: if I find it funny that someone wants to say "I heard the Boston Marathon was a blast!" who's to say that I can't find it funny, or shouldn't? What about 9/11 jokes, are these by people lacking empathy?

Fine, okay, let me rephrase it. Finding those kinds of jokes funny doesn't necessarily mean you lack empathy, it could just mean you're stupid. "Humor" based solely around shock value is the cheapest, laziest, lowest form of humor there is. Fundamentally it's no different from a preschooler laughing at the mere mention of the word "poop," only in practice it's much worse because here it involves mean-spiritedly making light of other people's very real misery, not to mention that you're (presumably) an adult and you should know better.

Saying that something is ethically wrong is just an appeal to whatever system of ethics you happen to adhere to

Why don't we just cut through the pseudo-philosophical bullshit and get to the point? You have a family and friends, you live and function in a civil society, right? Zachary is totally right. You wouldn't fucking dare make, laugh at, or defend these kinds of jokes in public, in real life, and you know it, and you know why.

I want people to make all the politically incorrect jokes they can, if people would stop reacting and start engaging with things then maybe they might learn something about the situation at hand.

But this is the exact opposite of that. These jokes are a deliberate refusal to engage with what's happened, an immature attempt to keep it at arm's length so you don't have to deal with the gravity of the event.

Your further claim that people that make these kinds of jokes will "never amount to anything" is hilarious to me, as all I have to do is point out the careers of people like George Carlin, Tarantino, and Mitch Hedberg, who all have made livings off of the obscene.

That's totally different. The "obscene" humor of the likes of Carlin, Tarantino and Hedberg (was he really all that obscene?) is pointed and clever and subversive. They actually have something to say, not just "look at me! Look at how shocking I am!" This is why Louis C.K. can navigate certain comic minefields that Daniel Tosh can't.

But it's not a cut-and-dry, black-and-white thing. People just have to actually think before they speak and make a judgment call for themselves about what is and is not worth saying.

At 4/16/13 10:40 AM, Zachary wrote:
Now you'll probably say something along the lines of, "But I would say that in real life! I bench 350 pounds I don't care!", but the reality of the situation is you wouldn't because you'd be afraid to get your glass jaw rocked.

I'll actually give him the benefit of the doubt and say that guilt, respect, and basic politeness and awareness of social rules are probably factors in that too, not just fear of reprisal.

The Internet gives us a buffer zone of detached anonymity, but it's an artificial barrier. When it comes down to it, behind every avatar sits a real, flesh-and-blood human being. I try not to forget that when I'm writing my posts, and I'll readily admit that I'm not always successful, but especially in sensitive times like this I think it's important that we take a step back before we post and at least try.

There are probably quite a few people on here from Boston, and many more who have family or friends there. To brazenly dismiss their feelings for the sake of cheap shock humor is ignorant and selfish.

At 4/16/13 10:35 AM, FBIpolux wrote: It seems to me that all you people are just looking for any excuse to jump at each other's throats

Y'know, I'll admit that to a certain extent you're probably right. Because these events make me sad and angry and confused and frustrated, and I honestly have no idea where to direct these feelings. But that's a real, human response to this kind of insanity, and a hell of a lot healthier than giggling like a fucking wannabe sociopath.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: O Lucky Man! (Anderson, 1973, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 06:57 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 06:55 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: a bunch of people got their legs blown the fuck off in a terrorist attack and this guy writes an essay on when and why it's okay to make jokes about it

you suck

Explosions in Boston Marathon

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 07:12 PM Reply

See tryhards, here's the thing about joking about tragedies like this. Sure, if you make a genuinely funny joke, albeit a bit morbid, I will defend you to no end. However, when all you're doing is elementary school level puns that rely almost entirely on shock factor, you're nothing more than an annoying cunt who wants attention.

All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Psycho666
Psycho666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 07:12 PM Reply

I hate to sound dark, but, I find the chaos created by these kind of events to be extremely interesting. Even though there will be little evidence, or none at all, someone is going to be blamed. This incident is small enough, yet known enough, to create a huge mystery. The bomb was small enough for the entire crime to be carried out by just one extremist element, though people will fantasize about large groups conspiring against them.

I won't presume to know anything at all beyond knowing two bombs went off and a lot of people were hurt, but, I think this is our first experience with independent extremism: psychopaths that take it upon themselves to commit acts of terrorism with nobody else involved. That's just an opinion though.

BBS Signature
notYert
notYert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 07:15 PM Reply

boston tnt party

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 07:12 PM, Psycho666 wrote: I hate to sound dark, but, I find the chaos created by these kind of events to be extremely interesting. Even though there will be little evidence, or none at all, someone is going to be blamed. This incident is small enough, yet known enough, to create a huge mystery. The bomb was small enough for the entire crime to be carried out by just one extremist element, though people will fantasize about large groups conspiring against them.

I don't think it's fantasy, it's just reality. Normally, we see groups doing bombings like this for whatever reason they may have (usually political). It's just the odds are greater for it to be a group than a single person. Obviously a single person can have a motivation (clearly), but it just isn't as common.

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 07:27 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 06:57 PM, 372 wrote: you suck

Hey dude, I'm just riding on this crazy train, JmdMagic and Ganon-Dorf are the ones who laid down the tracks. Myself and others like Zachary and Ryanson have tried to be more succinct about it, but he was being stubborn, and then everybody else got into talking about it, so whatever, I decided to go more in-depth with my thoughts on the matter. What's so bad about that?

It's not like I read the news about this event and the first thing I thought was "oh boy, I can't wait to get into arguments on the Internet with self-centered brats about kindergarten-level etiquette!" I've already been expressing my grief over what happened and my respect for the amazing people who are out there helping elsewhere, like in real life. In lieu of any more concrete information about what happened, what would you prefer we talk about on here? We're all just stalling for time.

At 4/16/13 07:12 PM, RacistBassist wrote: See tryhards, here's the thing about joking about tragedies like this. Sure, if you make a genuinely funny joke, albeit a bit morbid, I will defend you to no end. However, when all you're doing is elementary school level puns that rely almost entirely on shock factor, you're nothing more than an annoying cunt who wants attention.

Pretty much, yeah. I'd still have my reservations about cracking jokes so soon after the tragedy occurred, but if the joke was actually remotely clever I probably would have just ignored it.

At 4/16/13 07:12 PM, Psycho666 wrote: I won't presume to know anything at all beyond knowing two bombs went off and a lot of people were hurt, but, I think this is our first experience with independent extremism: psychopaths that take it upon themselves to commit acts of terrorism with nobody else involved. That's just an opinion though.

Sadly, this is far from our first experience with that, but it is taking on a new dimension now. Like you said it's too early to make any real educated guesses about who did this, but the future of terrorism is trending towards the kind of thing you're talking about, with young, disenfranchised Muslims in Western countries being radicalized individually through the Internet.

Sad, scary stuff. But again, we don't even know if this was an instance of Islamist terrorism or something else entirely. It could just as easily be some other radical political organization or some far-right or far-left extremist or just a single loon with no ideological goals at all.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: O Lucky Man! (Anderson, 1973, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 07:58 PM Reply

The Pressure Cooker still has the Serial Number/Bar Code on it. This could be helpful evidence into catching this guy, but the problem with the News reporting this is that now people in the future will remove the barcodes in the future.

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 08:00 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 07:58 PM, TheKlown wrote: The Pressure Cooker still has the Serial Number/Bar Code on it. This could be helpful evidence into catching this guy, but the problem with the News reporting this is that now people in the future will remove the barcodes in the future.

It's not like tracing stuff with serial numbers is new. Nor is removing them to not be traced. Still, it could be a helpful oversight.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 08:23 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 07:12 PM, RacistBassist wrote: See tryhards, here's the thing about joking about tragedies like this. Sure, if you make a genuinely funny joke, albeit a bit morbid, I will defend you to no end. However, when all you're doing is elementary school level puns that rely almost entirely on shock factor, you're nothing more than an annoying cunt who wants attention.

Well said, especially when those who made some lame throwaway jokes about the tragedy pretty much did so to sound "edgy" and you have to admit, it is a good way to gain attention which is just sad, like that idiot's "Boston TNT Party" (though I almost smiled a bit when I was typing this...)

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Lumber-Jax12
Lumber-Jax12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 08:27 PM Reply

You gotta wonder whether or not freedom of information is a good thing.

Sure if a government fucks up and people die as a result of that, or they commit shady deals/acts, then that's something we need to know.

But with the News trying to get all this information, especially after seeing the Press Conference where some reporters almost seemed to demand answers, you have to ask why?

I mean giving that information to the public could be harmful, if the culprits caught wind that someone so much as fitting their description is given they'd flee the country immediately, where they may have stayed put somewhere across the state originally. Now I'm not saying they would, I'd assume they'd be smart and/or paranoid enough not to stick around, but sometimes you got to leave the public in the Dark, to get things done in the Dark.

I mean watching some of the report almost seemed like they were giving guidelines, one reporter/pundit talked about using some chemical that apparently wasn't even in these bombs, so now some future nut job could be on the lookout for that chemical to use.

Hell the information of how to make bombs themselves would be a knowledge best left out of the hands of the public lest we end up in another scenario such as this.

I mean knowledge is power afterall

Noble-Rayne
Noble-Rayne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 08:44 PM Reply

love the american public

Don't people realize this could of been domestic???? This is not a time for even more hatred.

dx5231
dx5231
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Musician
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 08:58 PM Reply

love the american public

I actually lol'd at the "THANKS, OBAMA!" crowd. These people must be trolling, no way all of these posts are real.

BBS Signature
Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 09:10 PM Reply

And just when you thought you couldn't respect Canada any less...you browse through the posts at the tail end of this thread.

I don't step up on my soap box to spout some amateur sociopolitical nonsense when you guys have a moose massacre or have a maple syrup shortage, eh?

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 09:14 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 09:10 PM, Timmy wrote: I don't step up on my soap box to spout some amateur sociopolitical nonsense when you guys have a moose massacre or have a maple syrup shortage, eh?

You wouldn't dare poke fun at the Yukon Moosacre of '97 in real life, you coward.

BBS Signature
Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 09:15 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 09:14 PM, Dr-Worm wrote:
At 4/16/13 09:10 PM, Timmy wrote: I don't step up on my soap box to spout some amateur sociopolitical nonsense when you guys have a moose massacre or have a maple syrup shortage, eh?
You wouldn't dare poke fun at the Yukon Moosacre of '97 in real life, you coward.

Damnit - "Moosacre"

I really missed an opportunity there.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
YomToxic
YomToxic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 09:25 PM Reply

At 4/15/13 11:43 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 4/15/13 08:12 PM, YomToxic wrote:
At 4/15/13 08:09 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 4/15/13 08:00 PM, YomToxic wrote: So, why are christfags and fundies celebrating?
Link?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Mx5qbgeNo&feature=player_em bedded

Some comments down there about a load, gay people, rebels, and shit.
You do realize that's YouTube and the comments sections generally breeds idiots who knew that as long they're behind the screen, they can spew out crap right?

If they are real, I wouldn't be surprised if it's those WBC Youth members since they are generally unhinged.

You're straight on the mark this time.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/16/westboro-bap tist-church-thanks-god-boston-bombs-vo/

... I still dont get what this'll earn them. A few firebombs? More hate?

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 09:35 PM Reply

To be fair, they were bathing in a river where gold is panned, do you want dirty creatures dirtying up the gold?

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
triplenoob
triplenoob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 09:40 PM Reply

At 4/16/13 09:35 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
To be fair, they were bathing in a river where gold is panned, do you want dirty creatures dirtying up the gold?

Wouldn't want to have to deport them, better kill them all and let the meat go to waste, no less.

[My Art] Sig made by me PM me if you want one just as sexy, or request one here

BBS Signature