Be a Supporter!

Explosions in Boston Marathon

  • 21,576 Views
  • 521 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 51
Game Developer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 10:23:02 Reply

At 4/16/13 04:11 AM, Dr-Worm wrote:
At 4/16/13 01:00 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: Who cares if people make jokes about this shit, guess what, it's protected speech.
He's not saying you don't have the legal right to make these kinds of jokes, he's saying that it's ethically wrong, inconsiderate, insensitive, myopic, selfish and juvenile, which it is.

And this is a private website, there is no "protected speech."

Cry all you want about being offended and bad taste, humor is humor
No, it's only humor when it's funny. Cracking a lazy, intentionally bad pun about a violent tragedy mere hours after it occurs isn't humor, and it certainly isn't funny. It's just a crass, pathetic attempt to appear aloof and edgy and get attention.

and I for one don't care for those that wish to impose limits on peoples rights to say as they wish.
Don't be an ass. We're talking about empathy, compassion and basic human decency, not censorship.

Who said anything about empathy? I'm not knocking the people that ran towards a bomb site, I've got nothing but respect for them; however, if I find it funny that someone wants to say "I heard the Boston Marathon was a blast!" who's to say that I can't find it funny, or shouldn't? What about 9/11 jokes, are these by people lacking empathy?

Saying that something is ethically wrong is just an appeal to whatever system of ethics you happen to adhere to, I want people to make all the politically incorrect jokes they can, if people would stop reacting and start engaging with things then maybe they might learn something about the situation at hand.

At 4/16/13 01:12 AM, Ryanson wrote:
At 4/16/13 01:00 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: Who cares if people make jokes about this shit, guess what, it's protected speech.

Freedom of speech also includes the right to point out what terrible people you are for making jokes like that.
And that they're worthless pieces of shit that will never amount to anything in their life

You can make claims like that all you want and I won't stop you from doing it, call me terrible all you want, if I find something funny I'll laugh at it, humor is subjective. Your further claim that people that make these kinds of jokes will "never amount to anything" is hilarious to me, as all I have to do is point out the careers of people like George Carlin, Tarantino, and Mitch Hedberg, who all have made livings off of the obscene.


BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 10:30:01 Reply

At 4/16/13 10:23 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: Who said anything about empathy? I'm not knocking the people that ran towards a bomb site, I've got nothing but respect for them; however, if I find it funny that someone wants to say "I heard the Boston Marathon was a blast!"

How is that funny though? It's like the LEAST clever thing you can say. There isn't an ounce of wit in it at all. It just shows how shit of a person you are for laughing at such a shit joke about a shit situation.


.

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 10:35:41 Reply

Deepest condolences to anybody affected by this.


BBS Signature
Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 51
Game Developer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 10:35:44 Reply

At 4/16/13 10:30 AM, Zachary wrote:
At 4/16/13 10:23 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: Who said anything about empathy? I'm not knocking the people that ran towards a bomb site, I've got nothing but respect for them; however, if I find it funny that someone wants to say "I heard the Boston Marathon was a blast!"
How is that funny though? It's like the LEAST clever thing you can say. There isn't an ounce of wit in it at all. It just shows how shit of a person you are for laughing at such a shit joke about a shit situation.

Allow me to reiterate what I said in the rest of that post; humor is subjective, ever laugh at a 9/11 joke? If you want to make judgments about my character and person based on an opinion I hold over humor then so be it, if I'm to be a "shit person" in your eyes because of it then I could care less. Thanks for your inquiry or lack thereof.


BBS Signature
BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 10:37:59 Reply

yeah this is getting off topic though


I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 10:40:39 Reply

At 4/16/13 10:35 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote:
At 4/16/13 10:30 AM, Zachary wrote:
At 4/16/13 10:23 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: Who said anything about empathy? I'm not knocking the people that ran towards a bomb site, I've got nothing but respect for them; however, if I find it funny that someone wants to say "I heard the Boston Marathon was a blast!"
How is that funny though? It's like the LEAST clever thing you can say. There isn't an ounce of wit in it at all. It just shows how shit of a person you are for laughing at such a shit joke about a shit situation.
Allow me to reiterate what I said in the rest of that post; humor is subjective, ever laugh at a 9/11 joke? If you want to make judgments about my character and person based on an opinion I hold over humor then so be it, if I'm to be a "shit person" in your eyes because of it then I could care less. Thanks for your inquiry or lack thereof.

The thing is, I doubt you would even say that in real life. It's easy to be "that guy" behind a computer screen, but in real life no one would even dare say that. Why? Because they are afraid of the consequences (as what my friend Etienne said up there,). Now you'll probably say something along the lines of, "But I would say that in real life! I bench 350 pounds I don't care!", but the reality of the situation is you wouldn't because you'd be afraid to get your glass jaw rocked.


.

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 10:42:14 Reply

At 4/16/13 10:40 AM, Zachary wrote: but in real life no one would even dare say that.

And by "dare say that" I mean not in front of just your group of friends. Out in public is what I was getting at.


.

BBS Signature
All-American-Badass
All-American-Badass
  • Member since: Jul. 16, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 10:48:01 Reply

At 4/16/13 09:04 AM, Chdonga wrote: And it looks like 4chan has fucked itself over again.

I was on /mu/ (the music forum) the other day and an anonymous user asked everyone's favorite band. One anonymous user responded "If anyone says Bon Jovi, I'm going to explode a building". Someone cleverly said Bon Jovi, and so the anon responded "15/4. Never forget."

This post was at 11 AM, about four hours before the explosion.

Oh boy 4chan making vague threats at the wrong time, like that's never happened before. That aside it's deplorable what happened in Boston yesterday because some fucking whackjob decide he needed to make a goddamn name for himself more than likely, if we find that fucker and he's proven guilty in a court of law, i hope he get's the firing squad.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 11:36:03 Reply

At 4/16/13 10:40 AM, Zachary wrote: The thing is, I doubt you would even say that in real life. It's easy to be "that guy" behind a computer screen, but in real life no one would even dare say that.

Of course they wouldn't, the beauty of the Internet is that it provides a cover of anonymity for us to crack jokes that would be considered in bad taste anywhere else. Because of that anonymity in most places on the net, you're allowed and even encouraged to make sick jokes off of other people's misfortunes, hell, the Bastards section on NG does just that to an extent.

Is the jokes in poor taste?, maybe so, but this is the Internet and shit like this is everywhere.

Why? Because they are afraid of the consequences (as what my friend Etienne said up there,). Now you'll probably say something along the lines of, "But I would say that in real life! I bench 350 pounds I don't care!", but the reality of the situation is you wouldn't because you'd be afraid to get your glass jaw rocked.

Once again, no one with half a brain would say such a thing without getting rocked for a good reason, especially given the timing. Even without the protection of the Internet, there are still people who get a kick out of dark themed humor, and to them, they always try to find the joy out of a disaster like this, as some sort of schadenfreude or sadism if you will. Not to mention with Freedom of Speech, no one has the right to stop them from saying what they want to say, just as you have the same right to disagree with the same vitriol as the person who made the joke.

Freedom of Speech isn't a one-way street.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 51
Game Developer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 11:58:30 Reply

At 4/16/13 11:36 AM, orangebomb wrote:
At 4/16/13 10:40 AM, Zachary wrote: stuff
orangebomb wrote more stuff

I want to make it clear that I don't harbor any ill will toward anyone for holding a different opinion than I do, Zachary disagrees with me and that is fine.

That being said, I don't really see the need to post in this topic anymore, as my detractors don't seem interested in discussing anything of substance, and would rather make accusations about my person.


BBS Signature
KyyninenPeikko
KyyninenPeikko
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 12:58:18 Reply

Bigger bomb is going to go off at London marathon.

Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Writer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 13:15:17 Reply

At 4/16/13 12:58 PM, KyyninenPeikko wrote: Bigger bomb is going to go off at London marathon.

Remember all the conspiracies that the 2012 Olymypics was going to get blown up ? It had to do something with the Illuminati game and Big Ben


Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 13:33:49 Reply

I just want to say one thing about the Saudi national who was taken for questioning yesterday. As easy as it is for some to assume he was involved it's just as easy to assume he was brought in by some meathead yelling "Muslim!" and tackling him. Let's not be reactionary assholes whichever direction we lean in.


I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Baby-Bottle-Bob
Baby-Bottle-Bob
  • Member since: Feb. 29, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 13:49:58 Reply

this is why you dont eat beef burrito's before afternoon stretching


9

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 14:00:23 Reply

Oh look... Someone bombed the americans again...
Woo...

I feel the instant need to make my government say its illegal to make bombs and... Gun control is failing... And we should go off to war again... And this was the north Korean's or the some other terrorist group bent on causing havoc...

Its not like the rest of the world thinks that its just the americans bombing them selves to cause fear that drives the American people now... No that would be heartless of me... Tox... You should feel sorry for these people... These athletes died.. And a kid to!

Up yours america. Bother me when you want to declare WW3 and us canadians will do what we always have... Sit back and "lean up the freaking global mess after everyone that wants to fight dies and the survivors need assistance


call me toxie 0.~

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Melancholy

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 15:06:01 Reply

At 4/16/13 02:58 PM, Dromedary wrote: http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/48093470152/two-explosi ves-went-off-at-the-boston-marathon-on

love the american public

funny how we claim we're tolerant and then some shit happens


I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
SamWellsDay
SamWellsDay
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 15:06:11 Reply

At 4/16/13 02:58 PM, Dromedary wrote: http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/48093470152/two-explosi ves-went-off-at-the-boston-marathon-on

love the american public

Sounds like a good idea, we round up all these inbred white trash, arm them with a couple of sticks and go send them to the middle east.

what a fine show it will be, fucking cowards.


"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven" - John Milton

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 15:07:35 Reply

At 4/16/13 02:58 PM, Dromedary wrote: http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/48093470152/two-explosi ves-went-off-at-the-boston-marathon-on

love the american public

Internet. Brings out the dumb ones the fastest


call me toxie 0.~

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 15:15:15 Reply

At 4/16/13 02:58 PM, Dromedary wrote: http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/48093470152/two-explosi ves-went-off-at-the-boston-marathon-on

Really tragic.

Why can't we all just get along?

Explosions in Boston Marathon


BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Member since: Jan. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 15:18:12 Reply

I agree with Putin in calling for international intelligence agencies to come closer together in collaboration, some of these problems could be a lot smaller than they need to be. I also think Russia's intelligence agencies will be taking these threats one step further with Sochi 2014 coming up.


BBS Signature
triplenoob
triplenoob
  • Member since: Feb. 1, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 16:10:07 Reply

At 4/16/13 02:58 PM, Dromedary wrote: http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/48093470152/two-explosi ves-went-off-at-the-boston-marathon-on

love the american public

I loled at "time to bomb the fuck outta the dirty ass sand monkeys in the Middle East." How can you say something like that and get away with it?


[My Art] Sig made by me PM me if you want one just as sexy, or request one here

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 16:20:29 Reply

At 4/16/13 04:06 PM, FBIpolux wrote:
At 4/16/13 02:58 PM, Dromedary wrote: http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/48093470152/two-explosi ves-went-off-at-the-boston-marathon-on

love the american public
Hahaha, and this, people, is what the whole world believes United Statians are all like.

How ironic.


.

BBS Signature
Lumber-Jax12
Lumber-Jax12
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 17:18:15 Reply

Or it could be ironic (though not really in a literal sense because then that would mean it's an occurrence that's unexpected, and from what I've seen from you, I would expect this) that you now sit back and call those people ignorant for making such comments, while you yourself sit back and make similar comments/jokes about the misfortune of these people.

Really, to default on such a spineless stance on morality and claim there is none, just shows how deeply your ignorance is ingrained to your person. You make these bold claims sitting behind a desk, or on your bed, or whatever clearly sheltered environment it is you are, because you have never been in a situation like one such as this, you can bullshit all you want about your understanding of 'empathy', but if you truly had even a sliver of an experience as these people had you would think twice before you make such a foolish, and childish reply.

And in all honestly, if someone here even did find any of these 'jokes' funny, which again I doubt (though now I can't wait to see all the smartass replies claiming they did find it funny, only in an attempt to get a rise out of me) than for you to laugh at such a calamity, just shows your ignorance, or even better, immaturity.

And for those who want to prove me wrong, here's a thought go to your parent's or any respected adult you may know and slip in such a joke, and see the reaction on their face, I can guarantee it'd be anything but a smirk, and if it is, then I guess we know where the apple fell.

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Member since: Apr. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 18:55:29 Reply

At 4/16/13 10:23 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: if I find it funny that someone wants to say "I heard the Boston Marathon was a blast!" who's to say that I can't find it funny, or shouldn't? What about 9/11 jokes, are these by people lacking empathy?

Fine, okay, let me rephrase it. Finding those kinds of jokes funny doesn't necessarily mean you lack empathy, it could just mean you're stupid. "Humor" based solely around shock value is the cheapest, laziest, lowest form of humor there is. Fundamentally it's no different from a preschooler laughing at the mere mention of the word "poop," only in practice it's much worse because here it involves mean-spiritedly making light of other people's very real misery, not to mention that you're (presumably) an adult and you should know better.

Saying that something is ethically wrong is just an appeal to whatever system of ethics you happen to adhere to

Why don't we just cut through the pseudo-philosophical bullshit and get to the point? You have a family and friends, you live and function in a civil society, right? Zachary is totally right. You wouldn't fucking dare make, laugh at, or defend these kinds of jokes in public, in real life, and you know it, and you know why.

I want people to make all the politically incorrect jokes they can, if people would stop reacting and start engaging with things then maybe they might learn something about the situation at hand.

But this is the exact opposite of that. These jokes are a deliberate refusal to engage with what's happened, an immature attempt to keep it at arm's length so you don't have to deal with the gravity of the event.

Your further claim that people that make these kinds of jokes will "never amount to anything" is hilarious to me, as all I have to do is point out the careers of people like George Carlin, Tarantino, and Mitch Hedberg, who all have made livings off of the obscene.

That's totally different. The "obscene" humor of the likes of Carlin, Tarantino and Hedberg (was he really all that obscene?) is pointed and clever and subversive. They actually have something to say, not just "look at me! Look at how shocking I am!" This is why Louis C.K. can navigate certain comic minefields that Daniel Tosh can't.

But it's not a cut-and-dry, black-and-white thing. People just have to actually think before they speak and make a judgment call for themselves about what is and is not worth saying.

At 4/16/13 10:40 AM, Zachary wrote:
Now you'll probably say something along the lines of, "But I would say that in real life! I bench 350 pounds I don't care!", but the reality of the situation is you wouldn't because you'd be afraid to get your glass jaw rocked.

I'll actually give him the benefit of the doubt and say that guilt, respect, and basic politeness and awareness of social rules are probably factors in that too, not just fear of reprisal.

The Internet gives us a buffer zone of detached anonymity, but it's an artificial barrier. When it comes down to it, behind every avatar sits a real, flesh-and-blood human being. I try not to forget that when I'm writing my posts, and I'll readily admit that I'm not always successful, but especially in sensitive times like this I think it's important that we take a step back before we post and at least try.

There are probably quite a few people on here from Boston, and many more who have family or friends there. To brazenly dismiss their feelings for the sake of cheap shock humor is ignorant and selfish.

At 4/16/13 10:35 AM, FBIpolux wrote: It seems to me that all you people are just looking for any excuse to jump at each other's throats

Y'know, I'll admit that to a certain extent you're probably right. Because these events make me sad and angry and confused and frustrated, and I honestly have no idea where to direct these feelings. But that's a real, human response to this kind of insanity, and a hell of a lot healthier than giggling like a fucking wannabe sociopath.


NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature
372
372
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 18:57:42 Reply

At 4/16/13 06:55 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: a bunch of people got their legs blown the fuck off in a terrorist attack and this guy writes an essay on when and why it's okay to make jokes about it

you suck

Explosions in Boston Marathon

372
372
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 19:12:13 Reply

See tryhards, here's the thing about joking about tragedies like this. Sure, if you make a genuinely funny joke, albeit a bit morbid, I will defend you to no end. However, when all you're doing is elementary school level puns that rely almost entirely on shock factor, you're nothing more than an annoying cunt who wants attention.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Psycho666
Psycho666
  • Member since: Aug. 6, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 19:12:36 Reply

I hate to sound dark, but, I find the chaos created by these kind of events to be extremely interesting. Even though there will be little evidence, or none at all, someone is going to be blamed. This incident is small enough, yet known enough, to create a huge mystery. The bomb was small enough for the entire crime to be carried out by just one extremist element, though people will fantasize about large groups conspiring against them.

I won't presume to know anything at all beyond knowing two bombs went off and a lot of people were hurt, but, I think this is our first experience with independent extremism: psychopaths that take it upon themselves to commit acts of terrorism with nobody else involved. That's just an opinion though.


BBS Signature
notYert
notYert
  • Member since: May. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to Explosions in Boston Marathon 2013-04-16 19:15:08 Reply

boston tnt party


BBS Signature