New Topic Respond to this Topic
CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 24th, 2013 @ 04:26 PM Reply

hey guys here is a one panel strip I came up with. What do you think of it? cheers!

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 24th, 2013 @ 04:28 PM Reply

At 4/24/13 04:26 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: hey guys here is a one panel strip I came up with. What do you think of it? cheers!

oops forgot it, my bad

The artbook of The Micheal Murray!

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 24th, 2013 @ 04:51 PM Reply

I don't really understand how you can go from such epic art from your first two posts to this...

Anyway I'm not really understanding this feminist comic strip. Is she standing over a skull? Why is the stage lopsided? Why does everyone have an incomplete set of teeth? And why doo they all look deformed and identical?

I just feel you didn't put much effort into this, and even if there was effort the idea itself isn't presented with much coherency. I also feel that if you need to elaborate on the picture for me to get it, then it failed in delivery.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 03:22 AM Reply

At 4/24/13 04:51 PM, Absinthe wrote: I don't really understand how you can go from such epic art from your first two posts to this...

Anyway I'm not really understanding this feminist comic strip. Is she standing over a skull? Why is the stage lopsided? Why does everyone have an incomplete set of teeth? And why doo they all look deformed and identical?

I just feel you didn't put much effort into this, and even if there was effort the idea itself isn't presented with much coherency. I also feel that if you need to elaborate on the picture for me to get it, then it failed in delivery.

First off thanks for the compliments on my first posts. I'm just trying something new though.
Before I answer your questions, how much have you looked into the Feminist movement itself?

No, she is standing over a male head to signify supremacy. The stage is lopsided because that was a mistake and it isn't meant to be like that. Everyone has incomplete sets of teeth because it is a stylistic choice I decided to go for when doing this strip. In what way deformed? Obviously proportions etc aren't logical to the normal anatomy, but I've gone for a cartoon style in this not meant to totally follow the rules of realistic proportions. The reason they look identical is because it is to represent them being like sheep if you get me.

Cheers

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 03:34 AM Reply

At 4/25/13 03:22 AM, CharacterDesigner wrote: how much have you looked into the Feminist movement itself?

How much have you?

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 03:10 PM Reply

At 4/25/13 03:34 AM, M-Vero wrote:
At 4/25/13 03:22 AM, CharacterDesigner wrote: how much have you looked into the Feminist movement itself?
How much have you?

Enough to do this drawing, read a good few articles, discussions boards aswell, discussed it with people also. Plus I know both anti and pro feminists. So yeah. :P

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 26th, 2013 @ 12:39 AM Reply

At 4/25/13 03:10 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: Enough to do this drawing, read a good few articles, discussions boards aswell, discussed it with people also. Plus I know both anti and pro feminists. So yeah. :P

According to WIKIPEDIA, feminism is defined as "a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment." I don't know what feminists you're talking about that stand atop dead people, but I'm pretty sure that most of them aren't out to trump men, they're out to gain women some of those equal rights everybody wants these days.

Anyways, even disregarding any personal perspectives, whatever idea you're trying to communicate is not being communicated effectively (I agree with Absinthe). It seems like a weak stab at feminism with no real merit behind it. Also, you say you're going for a cartoon style and so the people aren't realistic, well duh! Cartooning is fun to do, and people are gonna realise that you aren't trying to make anatomically correct humans here. However, they still look lumpy/deformed. Stylised drawings of people will generally follow guidelines based on the way people really look.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 26th, 2013 @ 12:50 AM Reply

At 4/24/13 04:28 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote:
At 4/24/13 04:26 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: hey guys here is a one panel strip I came up with. What do you think of it? cheers!
oops forgot it, my bad

What is this, a flashback cartoon from 1973?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 26th, 2013 @ 12:20 PM Reply

So people weren't too impressed with my last strip so hopefully what im working on now will impress some people some more.

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 26th, 2013 @ 05:42 PM Reply

At 4/26/13 12:20 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: So people weren't too impressed with my last strip so hopefully what im working on now will impress some people some more.

Here is an update to that t rex drawings, inks soon!

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 27th, 2013 @ 12:00 PM Reply

Here is some inks over that T-Rex drawing I was doing, decided to do traditional inks again, was going to do them digitally but when I sat down to I much preffered doing traditional instead, so thats what I did.

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 27th, 2013 @ 06:06 PM Reply

Here is a progress shot of me inking some pencils of Loki by Jimbo Salgado, an amazing artist! Hope you all like it :D

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 27th, 2013 @ 06:33 PM Reply

link!Decided to put up some more ink work another spiderman pencil by Jimbo Salgado again! original pencils :

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 28th, 2013 @ 08:24 AM Reply

At 4/27/13 06:33 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: link!Decided to put up some more ink work another spiderman pencil by Jimbo Salgado again! original pencils :

Just noticed, the link I put up is for the original pencils, don't know why it went to the start..

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 01:53 PM Reply

At 4/28/13 08:24 AM, CharacterDesigner wrote:
At 4/27/13 06:33 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: link!Decided to put up some more ink work another spiderman pencil by Jimbo Salgado again! original pencils :
Just noticed, the link I put up is for the original pencils, don't know why it went to the start..

I'm on my mobile right now so can't upload any art but what I can say is that I have some new art uploaded onto my profile so if you wanna take a look that would be really appreciated, I only have 4 inked works right now, but more will be coming. Sorry to bump like this and I know you have peeves on clicking links etc. but I just wanted to give that update :D (sorry mods if I broke a rule or something)

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! May. 1st, 2013 @ 04:34 PM Reply

here is a logo in progress im doing for a guy. Its going to be on a print banner for his signing on free comic book day!! Anyway, tell me what you think so far :3 Cheers

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jun. 16th, 2013 @ 04:47 PM Reply

Been a long while since I posted due to being busy with exams, but I was finally reunited with my tablet, and this is what I have sketched this evening, enjoy! :) Any crits, comments etc just post em up!

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jun. 16th, 2013 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 6/16/13 04:47 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: Been a long while since I posted due to being busy with exams, but I was finally reunited with my tablet, and this is what I have sketched this evening, enjoy! :) Any crits, comments etc just post em up!

His right arm is broken

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jun. 17th, 2013 @ 07:40 AM Reply

At 6/16/13 06:08 PM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 6/16/13 04:47 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: Been a long while since I posted due to being busy with exams, but I was finally reunited with my tablet, and this is what I have sketched this evening, enjoy! :) Any crits, comments etc just post em up!
His right arm is broken

terse good. :P
Eh I don't really see where you're are coming from, anybody else think that his right arm looks broken as Jonny put it?

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jun. 17th, 2013 @ 08:10 AM Reply

At 6/17/13 07:40 AM, CharacterDesigner wrote:
At 6/16/13 06:08 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: His right arm is broken
Eh I don't really see where you're are coming from, anybody else think that his right arm looks broken as Jonny put it?

Try to replicate that position yourself, and you'll see what I mean.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jun. 17th, 2013 @ 09:03 AM Reply

At 6/17/13 07:40 AM, CharacterDesigner wrote: terse good. :P

Jonny is correct, it doesn't make sense the way it is. I'm pretty sure his arms are just too long altogether. I compiled some reference images for you, and although the poses aren't exactly the same, they're similar enough that they may help you head in a better direction.

At 6/17/13 08:10 AM, bigjonny13 wrote: Try to replicate that position yourself, and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah, this is a good point. Maybe try taking a picture of yourself in the pose you want to draw, and then use that photo to help guide your ninja dood!

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jun. 17th, 2013 @ 10:32 AM Reply

At 6/17/13 09:03 AM, Spags wrote:
At 6/17/13 07:40 AM, CharacterDesigner wrote: terse good. :P
Jonny is correct, it doesn't make sense the way it is. I'm pretty sure his arms are just too long altogether. I compiled some reference images for you, and although the poses aren't exactly the same, they're similar enough that they may help you head in a better direction.

At 6/17/13 08:10 AM, bigjonny13 wrote: Try to replicate that position yourself, and you'll see what I mean.
Yeah, this is a good point. Maybe try taking a picture of yourself in the pose you want to draw, and then use that photo to help guide your ninja dood!

Cheers for the reference bases, but I was using reference poses already :P This is what I was using as a base, think you can tell which one I was using, I shall fix that arm. :P poses with swords ;P

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Artist
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jun. 17th, 2013 @ 10:55 AM Reply

Lets use this picture your referenced as a starting point, if you compare the two you will see how far out you are with proportions. i tried to scale it 1:1 with the legs, so the legs are spot on ish. the arms are way out, remember that the arm is spilt into two equal parts, so having one half longer then the other is odd unless your doing foreshortening or a very stylised picture.

this picture below shows you that the top half is lengthened and how the arm is stretched to match your reference.

when working like this make sure you sketch out all the areas first before filling in details as if the original sketch is out the rest of your work will be too.

speaking from experience here

Also i did a little doodle to show you what your guy would look like in that same form as the first.

hope this helps

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jun. 17th, 2013 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 6/17/13 10:32 AM, CharacterDesigner wrote: Cheers for the reference bases, but I was using reference poses already :P This is what I was using as a base, think you can tell which one I was using, I shall fix that arm. :P poses with swords ;P

Oh, well, in that case, just adjust the elbow.
The way you drew it makes it look like the elbow is at the back and bending backwards, whereas the reference has the elbow facing the viewer.

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jun. 26th, 2013 @ 05:25 AM Reply

So anyway trying to get on this comic book project and this was a test page I had to ink. Sent it off and now hopefully I make the cut, and I thought I may as well post it up here for you all to see! Enjoy my friends :)

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jun. 29th, 2013 @ 07:39 AM Reply

here is another page I inked. I'm submitting to another person to try and get work on a comic as an inker. I am open to ink stuff, like posters, images, etc. If interested email me at michealmurrayart@yahoo.com, and we can talk Since Summer has come I'm throwing my services out there! here is some more of my inks at

I do have a portfolio at deviant art, but I know newgrounders hate links. But I'll just leave it here, and if you dont wanna click it, don't click it. No harm, no foul :) http://michealmurrayart.deviantart.com/gallery/43191579

(only had to ink 3 panels for this particular submission btw. so thats why the last two are blank)

Spac3case916
Spac3case916
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jul. 1st, 2013 @ 08:27 PM Reply

At 4/27/13 12:00 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: Here is some inks over that T-Rex drawing I was doing, decided to do traditional inks again, was going to do them digitally but when I sat down to I much preffered doing traditional instead, so thats what I did.

nice!
in some cases the pencil to ink stage can take away from the original pencils (at least that's something that i deal with). in this one there was a huge jump in quality from pencil to ink stage. good work!

[-----free like clouds-----]
Artzzzzz

BBS Signature
CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 06:32 PM Reply

At 7/1/13 08:27 PM, Spac3case916 wrote:
At 4/27/13 12:00 PM, CharacterDesigner wrote: Here is some inks over that T-Rex drawing I was doing, decided to do traditional inks again, was going to do them digitally but when I sat down to I much preffered doing traditional instead, so thats what I did.
nice!
in some cases the pencil to ink stage can take away from the original pencils (at least that's something that i deal with). in this one there was a huge jump in quality from pencil to ink stage. good work!

cheers man! Glad you like it! Primarily I am an inker rather than penciller. Here is something else I have been commissioned to ink. Original drawing by Lloyd Cheatham Jr

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jul. 6th, 2013 @ 05:11 PM Reply

hey guys an update on that piece I was working on. Do you think this is of a high enough standard to turn in yet? Anything that can be improved upon it? Thanks everyone, appreciate it!

CharacterDesigner
CharacterDesigner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to The artbook of The Micheal Murray! Jul. 6th, 2013 @ 07:47 PM Reply

decided to give a side by side aswell!