New Topic Respond to this Topic
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-13 04:49:07 Reply

It's with great pleasure that I introduce to you my album, Only Shadows Touch.
I've spent the past 2 years or more working on these songs in some way or another, recording, mixing, organising singers... And finally it's here.

The genre goes from hard rock to touching on symphonic metal with a big does of heavy metal in the middle, even a little thrash. I recorded all the guitar and bass myself then found some guys from all over the world to do the vocals for me including from the USA, France and Sweden. They're a talented bunch, I can tell you that much.

I'm proud of how it turned out and I'd love for you to have a listen. It doesn't cost anything to listen online, but the album is on sale for £4.50, which is around $7 (a bit less actually).

P.S. I hope the image shows up properly...

Only Shadows Touch

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Ryskie
Ryskie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-13 06:58:19 Reply

Took a listen through, and I have to say it's actually quite good. Not my personal preference in genre, but it definately has a style that's unique, and really does a good job at tying a story together. My on critique is on the audio quality itself, there's room for improvement on the recording quality, but that being said, working with restrictions can not always be helped. But as far as the content goes, really some fantastic work here.

Congrats on getting it completed!

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-13 07:22:04 Reply

Yes, it's hard to get the same quality and feel in every song when every person who contributes has their own microphone, their own recording space and their own approach to doing things. Plus, taking so long to finish it means some of the songs have a slightly different sound to them as my own style evolved over the years.
Thanks for the great feedback and kind words!

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Ryskie
Ryskie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-13 07:55:52 Reply

At 4/13/13 07:22 AM, MetalRenard wrote: Yes, it's hard to get the same quality and feel in every song when every person who contributes has their own microphone, their own recording space and their own approach to doing things.

That's exactly the thing, but it's the fact that you got it finished and that the quality of the content that matters the most. If you're ever in need of any orchestral stuff to be done using EWQL Orchestral let me know. :)

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-13 16:09:41 Reply

Sounds pretty good. I'm not a fan of a lot of the vocals though... Would be cool if you included instrumental versions.

Good work either way.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-13 17:46:13 Reply

Thanks! And I will upload instrumentals later on, in a week or so. That was always the plan. :)

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-13 18:23:05 Reply

Currently listening to it. Burden of Dreams' intro especially caught me. It's not my genre, but what I'm hearing is solid stuff. For songs like these, chords are what draw me to listen -- and I love how varied they are.

Are you not sharing the lyrics in the separate song descriptions (are you intentionally reserving that for the album download)?

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-14 03:30:29 Reply

You did a great job dude. The tracks have this kind of 80's, mid 90's metal vibe to them. The vocals just are from a different time period. Please release the instrumentals, I really think these tracks would be a lot cooler if you had different vocalists on it who could write vocals that are a bit catchier. Sending a PM, asap!

////Never stop making music.

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-14 10:01:01 Reply

Good album man. I can hear why you have been so busy. Must've been difficult to mix, with so many instruments and all of the reverb. You made the instruments sound very full. My brother likes this kind of music a lot. I think he'll appreciate this as well. I'll send him the link.

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-14 17:19:26 Reply

Hey thanks everyone. :)
For the lyrics I just didn't type them up on the site, no reason in particular. I mean, if someone's really that interested in the songs' lyrics then I think it would be really great if they could buy them, sure, but I'm not trying to be vindictive or anything. ^^

At 4/14/13 03:30 AM, frootza wrote: Sending a PM, asap!

I didn't get a PM...

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-21 13:14:21 Reply

I thought I'd let you know that the instrumentals are now available as so many people asked me for them.
Feel free to have a listen on Bandcamp. Once again, there's an epic bonus track for those who buy the whole thing which I've been told is the best song on there by others who bought it. ^^
The tracks are £0.65 each, which is $1.
:)

BBS Signature
lasse
lasse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-22 18:46:21 Reply

bullet point review
+couple of neat solos
+good singing in parts
+most songs end right before or a bit after overstaying their welcome
-bad singing in more parts
-flat mixing
-fadeouts
-many songs feel like imitations of other bands
-uninspired riffing
-album art made me throw up in my mouth a little
-nothing unique

fav tracks: chaos confined
least fav tracks: last day alive, burden of dreams, whispers in the air
2.8/10 would not relisten or recommend

BBS Signature
alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-22 19:01:27 Reply

At 4/21/13 01:14 PM, MetalRenard wrote: I thought I'd let you know that the instrumentals are now available as so many people asked me for them.
Feel free to have a listen on Bandcamp. Once again, there's an epic bonus track for those who buy the whole thing which I've been told is the best song on there by others who bought it. ^^
The tracks are Ã'£0.65 each, which is $1.
)

Oh, I like the Chaos Confined instrumental. This type of sound interests me the most. The guitar work in Burden of Dreams is pretty great, too! I think I prefer the instrumentals, at least at first, because it's easier to listen to, overall. After that I'll probably move on to the vocals.
I also find the album art pretty intriguing... props to the artist on that one!

------->>> Post a random word

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-22 19:16:04 Reply

lasse - I know you have a thing against me since the last thread we "met" and your general attitude towards me, so I don't really mind. ^^

alternativesolution - Thanks mate, I'm glad you enjoyed a few. Chaos Confined is also one of my Favourites. It actually got featured on the front page of Newgrounds!

BBS Signature
lasse
lasse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-22 19:24:41 Reply

At 4/22/13 07:16 PM, MetalRenard wrote: lasse - I know you have a thing against me since the last thread we "met" and your general attitude towards me, so I don't really mind. ^^

sure, play it off as "haters gonna hate" since your music is clearly objectively perfect in every way, but that was an unbiased review based on my first impression, (even if in my personal opinion anyone who unironically uses an anthro fox as his avatar anywhere is disgusting that did not go into account when rating this)

also what thread, all i remember is calling you out on the album really being an EP and if you see that as trolling or being an asshole you really need a bit of a reality check

best wishes
lasse

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-22 20:49:13 Reply

lol... here we go again. >_<

Anyway, congrats on the first album release; always an awesome feeling when the first one goes up. Hope you're actually getting sales unlike me... gave up and made all mine free. :D

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Only Shadows Touch 2013-04-22 21:20:21 Reply

At 4/22/13 08:49 PM, samulis wrote: lol... here we go again. >_<

Haha I know right? XD

At 4/22/13 08:49 PM, samulis wrote: Anyway, congrats on the first album release; always an awesome feeling when the first one goes up. Hope you're actually getting sales unlike me... gave up and made all mine free. :D

Yeah it really is nice to finally have finished it after all that time. I'm a bit disappointed with one aspect which is that there's a song missing! It never got finished because one of the singers took over a year to do it and still hasn't sent me a final cut of their vocals. Because of that I had to do some heavy reorganisation. We'll release it as a single now.
Thanks very much for the kind words!!! Also, send me a PM with a link to your album, I'd love to have a listen. :)

BBS Signature