New Topic Respond to this Topic
AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 12th, 2013 @ 03:23 PM Reply

Is this a thing already? I've mean where say you can sidechain a 1khz tone to say a lead synth and it would only affect that frequency rather than all the frequencies of my lead, I think it would really helpe getting a nice precise clear sound and I wouldn't have to use so many EQs :P

I don't know too much about compressing so sorry if this is a simple thing to do

Also, I found some frequency specific sidechain compression tutorials but they only told the compressor to home in on the frequency range manually when I want the compressor to do that

Proctra
Proctra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 12th, 2013 @ 03:28 PM Reply

At 4/12/13 03:23 PM, AeroMusic wrote: Is this a thing already? I've mean where say you can sidechain a 1khz tone to say a lead synth and it would only affect that frequency rather than all the frequencies of my lead, I think it would really helpe getting a nice precise clear sound and I wouldn't have to use so many EQs :P

I don't know too much about compressing so sorry if this is a simple thing to do

Also, I found some frequency specific sidechain compression tutorials but they only told the compressor to home in on the frequency range manually when I want the compressor to do that

In Ableton there is a featuere like this, it's in the compression plug in by default. It side chains the sound based on the incoming frequency of the channel you are designating it too. Though I'm certain you can use it universally, without a specified channel

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 12th, 2013 @ 04:34 PM Reply

ah silly me, I need to learn alot more about compression :P

Ryskie
Ryskie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 12th, 2013 @ 05:14 PM Reply

At 4/12/13 04:34 PM, AeroMusic wrote: ah silly me, I need to learn alot more about compression :P

If you use FL I can hook you up with a nifty .flp to show you how to 'sidechain' certain frequencies, as well as my tecnique for handling sidechain effects, which is different, but I find it to be easier and more versatile.

Deepshade
Deepshade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 12th, 2013 @ 05:19 PM Reply

I'd LOVE to have that .flp aeromusic, i havent been able to figure out an efficient way myself yet :)

Deepshade
Deepshade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 12th, 2013 @ 05:23 PM Reply

or i guess you could hook up a peak controller to a certain band on a parametric eq, that should work aswell.

Ryskie
Ryskie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 12th, 2013 @ 06:21 PM Reply

At 4/12/13 05:19 PM, Deepshade wrote: I'd LOVE to have that .flp aeromusic, i havent been able to figure out an efficient way myself yet :)

That was me who's hooking yas up with it. Also, here yas are. Any questions just post here or pm me.

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 10:45 AM Reply

At 4/12/13 06:21 PM, Ryskie wrote:
At 4/12/13 05:19 PM, Deepshade wrote: I'd LOVE to have that .flp aeromusic, i havent been able to figure out an efficient way myself yet :)
That was me who's hooking yas up with it. Also, here yas are. Any questions just post here or pm me.

I'm using ableton :( can you explain what you do please

-I think I'm looking for a multiband compressor that can sidechain (looking at the waves c6 but god are their plugins expensive)

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 10:47 AM Reply

and do compressors definitely scrutinise freqencies? because I could use the compressor's filter and manually set it but what if the tone has like 3 other harmonic peaks - only way I can think is setting multiple sidechain single compressors filtered to those freqs. or using a multiband

again, I get the feeling I have no clue what I'm on about :P
Ryskie
Ryskie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 10:59 AM Reply

At 4/13/13 10:47 AM, AeroMusic wrote:
again, I get the feeling I have no clue what I'm on about :P

I wouldn't be able to help much when it comes to Ableton, but if you check on youtube there should be some good tutorials on how to set up sidechain effects. As far as frequency specific sidechaining though, not too sure. Unless you split the channel into two, then make one only the low end (or the freq you want to sidechain) and the other the rest minus the low end, and just sidechain the low end as per normal.

I'm sure there must be a more efficient way of handling it in Live though.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 11:05 AM Reply

At 4/13/13 10:47 AM, AeroMusic wrote: and do compressors definitely scrutinise freqencies? because I could use the compressor's filter and manually set it but what if the tone has like 3 other harmonic peaks - only way I can think is setting multiple sidechain single compressors filtered to those freqs.

no no no no no no no no no no no no

or using a multiband

yes

basically just peak control the threshold/gain of one band on a multiband compressor, doesn't matter which one.

p.s. i am gay

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 12:28 PM Reply

ehh not sure about ableton's exact features,

but get some type of a peak controller, make its highest possible value 50 (peak base level), and chain it to the gain of the specific band's level in the EQ you're messing with.

Or just automate the band's volume by hand,

theres a famous plug in made specifically for frequency sidechain as well, but my brain is blanking out on the name

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 03:59 PM Reply

There is an interesting plugin that can do his thing, pretty cheap.
TrackSpacer is an audio plug-in (available in VST, VST3, AU, and RTAS formats / Mac and Windows) that creates space in the mix for an instrument, voice, or other audio by performing automatic, multiband equalization on a channel. In real-time it analyzes the audio frequency content in a track/bus via sidechain, and applies an intelligent 32-band EQ to subtract those frequencies from the channel/bus where TrackSpacer is inserted.

http://plugins.wavesfactory.com/

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 04:59 PM Reply

Thanks very much everyone for the replies

I'll research in depth all the methods people have said - @jpbear that sounds like it would do the trick but then what if there are multiple freq. areas (e.g. 5K-5.1K and 3.2K-3.5K) that I want to lower

In ableton it looks like there is not peak controller but i've seen that you can use the gate plugin the same way- and @sorohanro this at first looked like the perfect plugin, but I'll have to get the demo to see if it can EQ more than one band

(I drew a picture cause I was worried I'm using the wrong terms and not explaining myself very well :P http://s16.postimg.org/7t2pf8p6d/freqthing.jpg)

I should totally be revising, I'll research everything once me exams are over
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 10:46 PM Reply

Well there's a funky trick I do with fruity filter and the peak controller where I set it at a frequency, and just modify the volume knob in the mixer... works for me at least, you can also further modify it so that it can go up and down specific frequencies if you want it to do so. really not much different from doing a standard Fruity Compressor + Peak Controller sidechain, but ofc not everyone uses FL Studio so my advice may be moot...

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 14th, 2013 @ 12:31 AM Reply

At 4/13/13 04:59 PM, AeroMusic wrote:
I'll research in depth all the methods people have said - @jpbear that sounds like it would do the trick but then what if there are multiple freq. areas (e.g. 5K-5.1K and 3.2K-3.5K) that I want to lower

just use seperate bands on the EQ?

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 14th, 2013 @ 06:28 AM Reply

Using reverse phase and side-chain compression you can make a dynamic effect that gets rid of a certain frequency, yes. It's a pain in the ass though, you're better off using a deesser.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 14th, 2013 @ 12:40 PM Reply

At 4/14/13 12:31 AM, jpbear wrote:
At 4/13/13 04:59 PM, AeroMusic wrote:
just use seperate bands on the EQ?

Does a peak controller give out various signals or is an on/off thing?

Because if I could figure out a way of using one in ableton then I could make this controller detect the loudness of frequency areas and make it lower the gain on a bell EQ or something (at the same set freqs. obv)?

Okay, a peak controller looks perfect and then I can just set it from the gain of sound 1 to the gain of the EQ in sound2 and just automate the frequencies of the bands as the pitch changes

but I can't find any thing about a peak controller in ableton wahhh - is there one in 9? If there is that and an LFO anything controller than I might consider upgrading

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Frequency Sidechain Compression? Apr. 14th, 2013 @ 06:56 PM Reply

Try out the demo for this sidechain compressor which has low-cut and high-cut parameters.