Be a Supporter!
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
16-Bit Gems Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 06:57 AM Reply

From Clan of the Gray Wolf comes the hit retro show 16-Bit Gems! Looking back at the classic underrated video games of the past for the 16-Bit Consoles. The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, and TurboGrafx-16.

A lot of games and consoles have already been discussed. Some which I am happy got some recognition like Secret of Evermore and Aladdin. While others I have learned about like Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Clock Tower. It is more of an informational show than a review show. The humor is also quite dry and the show's host Roo is a bit shaky in the earlier episodes. If you haven't checked out this show yet and love retro video games then check it out. I'll be updating this thread with newer episodes.

#1: Illusion of Gaia
#2: E.V.O.: Search for Eden
#3: Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
#4: ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
#5: Secret of Evermore
#6: Zombies Ate My Neighbors
#7: Mega Man: The Wily Wars
#8: ActRaiser
#9: Aladdin
#10: EarthBound - A History
#11: EarthBound - The Review
#12: TurboGrafx-16 Retrospective & Ninja Spirit
#13: Star Trek: The Next Generation
#14: Legend of the Mystical Ninja
#15: Terranigma
#16: Alien Soldier
#17: Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
#18: Liberty or Death
#19: The Lost Vikings
#20: BS Zelda (& Satellaview Retrospective)
#21: North & South
#22: Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
#23: seaQuest DSV
#24: Pulseman
#25: Soul Blazer
#26: Super Adventure Island II
#27: Sunset Riders
#28: Clock Tower
#29: Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures
#30: Rise of the RPG - A History
#31: Dragon Quest VIII
#32: Dragon Quest I & II


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 07:08 AM Reply

I don't think Toe Jam and Earl, Mystical Ninja, or Zombies Ate My Neighbors are quite underrated. They're pretty popular. They should do Super Ninja Boy and Gain Ground. Those were fantastic games that nobody seems to remember.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 07:23 AM Reply

At 4/10/13 07:08 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't think Toe Jam and Earl, Mystical Ninja, or Zombies Ate My Neighbors are quite underrated. They're pretty popular. They should do Super Ninja Boy and Gain Ground. Those were fantastic games that nobody seems to remember.

Well I know Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Mystical Ninja weren't underrated. However I never even heard of that ToeJam and Earl game. I am waiting for him to review Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen though.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 07:25 AM Reply

At 4/10/13 07:23 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 4/10/13 07:08 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't think Toe Jam and Earl, Mystical Ninja, or Zombies Ate My Neighbors are quite underrated. They're pretty popular. They should do Super Ninja Boy and Gain Ground. Those were fantastic games that nobody seems to remember.
Well I know Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Mystical Ninja weren't underrated. However I never even heard of that ToeJam and Earl game. I am waiting for him to review Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen though.

Another underrated 16 bit game is Kartia. It's a really good RPG for the PS1. And Wonder Boy in Monster Land should be there, too.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 18
Musician
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 07:32 AM Reply

I like the show a lot, but it's too bad he doesn't update it to regularly. They do a pretty cool little live podcast every once in awhile too

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 05:35 PM Reply

At 4/10/13 07:25 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Another underrated 16 bit game is Kartia. It's a really good RPG for the PS1. And Wonder Boy in Monster Land should be there, too.

He has brought up Wonder Boy in his Super Adventure Island II review. I don't know if Kartia would be reviewed since it is on the PS1, then again the TurboGrafx-16 got a pass even though it's not technically a 16-Bit console.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
SmashLuigiFan1
SmashLuigiFan1
  • Member since: Feb. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Gamer
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 09:14 PM Reply

I don't really care for the comedy in a review as it doesn't really matter to me, especially when the point of his is to expose games that weren't noticed or to defend games that were bashed unfairly. Something I've always liked about Roo is that he doesn't really seem to have a bias, especially for the Aladdin reviews as he doesn't just praise the SNES version for being made by capcom or hate the other just because it's on Genesis (I'm looking at you Game Grumps).
And I wholeheartedly agree with him about Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures as that game gets way too much hate for being different.
Also, I'm hoping he'll get around to a Ristar review.


"It's easier to talk about the bad than to understand the good." - Jirard Khalil
"This was a mistake." - Jirard Khalil, 2013
"WELCOME TO THE FANTASY ZONE! GET READY. . ."

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 09:44 PM Reply

I really enjoy 16-Bit Gems and CotG as a whole, Roo and the Commodore seem like really great guys. I would complain about the space between uploads of Roo's videos, but I'm sure if they were more frequent there would be a big loss of quality. You can definitely tell that guy puts a lot of time and effort into his videos. Commodore's Weekly Wringer videos are nice to watch every once and a while, but I would like to see him try making something a bit more ambitious than rambling about a subject each week.


Movie of the Week: Angel's Egg (1985)

BBS Signature
Freaki-boy92
Freaki-boy92
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Gamer
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 11:44 PM Reply

At 4/10/13 07:25 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 4/10/13 07:23 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 4/10/13 07:08 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't think Toe Jam and Earl, Mystical Ninja, or Zombies Ate My Neighbors are quite underrated. They're pretty popular. They should do Super Ninja Boy and Gain Ground. Those were fantastic games that nobody seems to remember.
Well I know Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Mystical Ninja weren't underrated. However I never even heard of that ToeJam and Earl game. I am waiting for him to review Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen though.
Another underrated 16 bit game is Kartia. It's a really good RPG for the PS1. And Wonder Boy in Monster Land should be there, too.

Kartia is 32-bit because it was on the ps1
16 bit refers to 3 consoles in particular: the SNES, the Mega Drive/Genesis and the Turbografx 16 (which was technically an 8-bit console, but it had 16-bit graphics due to some clever trickery)
it could also refer to the commodore amiga and the atari ST- both of which were 16 bit home computers released in the mid 1980s.

the playstation, however, was 32-bit, and therefore none of the games for it are 16-bit gems
they may be 32-bit gems, but they are not 16-bit.

NickScott
NickScott
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 11th, 2013 @ 02:33 AM Reply

I find it a bit strange that Secret of Evermore is number four, when it's cousins, Secret of Mana (and Seiken Densetsu 3, it's japanese only sequel) aren't even on the list! Very strange indeed!

For those that are reading this, get to your local video game store / emulator website and pick up a copy of either game immediately! Especially if you loved Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Gameplay-wise they are similar games, but the SoM series adds so much more to the table with jolly co-operation (you could play it on the SNES with TWO friends, not just one), one of the best videogame soundtracks, fantastic story, and a fantastic combat system. Great game. Great. Loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KCcrnOkjrA

On a side-note, I actually snagged a copy of Secret of Evermore a few months ago, but haven't been able to play it since my SNES died :(

16-Bit Gems


[ Soundcloud | HarryJarry.com | Last.fm | Kongregate | Real life? none]

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 11th, 2013 @ 02:38 AM Reply

At 4/11/13 02:33 AM, NickScott wrote: I find it a bit strange that Secret of Evermore is number four, when it's cousins, Secret of Mana (and Seiken Densetsu 3, it's japanese only sequel) aren't even on the list! Very strange indeed!

Well Secret of Mana was one of the biggest hits on the Super Nintendo. It wasn't exactly a hidden gem. A lot of people have played Secret of Mana and loved it (I myself do not love Secret of Mana and prefer Secret of Evermore, but that's just me).


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
NickScott
NickScott
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 11th, 2013 @ 02:47 AM Reply

At 4/11/13 02:38 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Well Secret of Mana was one of the biggest hits on the Super Nintendo. It wasn't exactly a hidden gem. A lot of people have played Secret of Mana and loved it (I myself do not love Secret of Mana and prefer Secret of Evermore, but that's just me).

Oh haha, I'm watching the review for Evermore right now. I didn't realize Mana was so popular


[ Soundcloud | HarryJarry.com | Last.fm | Kongregate | Real life? none]

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 11th, 2013 @ 02:47 AM Reply

my favorite episode has to be the bs zelda one, Since i really liked how roo informed the viewer of how the game worked and its value around it.


BBS Signature
Pkmn2
Pkmn2
  • Member since: Jan. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Animator
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 11th, 2013 @ 05:05 PM Reply

That list clearly lacks Super R-Type.


Nintentrix. Presto Sprites! Retro Sights!

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 11th, 2013 @ 05:41 PM Reply

I was one of the lucky people that got to play secret of mana on the SNES. It was a cool game, didn't find out until later is was a squaresoft game.
I remember getting stuck on a part, very vividly in fact. My female team member wanted to explore a cave, I was low on health so I said no, she called me a baby and said she'll go in by herself. I went to town immediately and got some potions and ran back to the cave, I found her near a cliffside, she was beaten by a wolfman, It was clearly a boss fight, but the bastard did 700 damage per hit. I couldn't take him on, and everytime I died the game would load before the fight, I couldn't leave.
I believe I broke the game....*sigh*
I would have beaten legend of mana if it wasn't for that wolfman....


I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 11th, 2013 @ 05:52 PM Reply

I do not know why this game doesn't get mentioned enough, but Shadow Dancer for the genesis is an awesome video game. Probably one of my favorite Sega Genesis games.

16-Bit Gems


I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 08:52 AM Reply

There is a Suggestion Thread on their forums. However unless you have a WordPress account, you can't really post on the forums. I have made an account their though and will gladly share Newgrounds suggestions there.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 10:24 AM Reply

At 4/13/13 08:52 AM, The-Great-One wrote: There is a Suggestion Thread on their forums. However unless you have a WordPress account, you can't really post on the forums. I have made an account their though and will gladly share Newgrounds suggestions there.

Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures for the SNES and Toy Story for the Genesis would be cool ones to see done.


Sig by FB - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 10:48 AM Reply

At 4/13/13 08:52 AM, The-Great-One wrote: There is a Suggestion Thread on their forums. However unless you have a WordPress account, you can't really post on the forums. I have made an account their though and will gladly share Newgrounds suggestions there.

I'd definitely recommend Shinobi 3, Gain Ground, Total Carnage, and Super Ninja Boy.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 03:46 PM Reply

At 4/13/13 10:48 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 4/13/13 08:52 AM, The-Great-One wrote: There is a Suggestion Thread on their forums. However unless you have a WordPress account, you can't really post on the forums. I have made an account their though and will gladly share Newgrounds suggestions there.
I'd definitely recommend Shinobi 3, Gain Ground, Total Carnage, and Super Ninja Boy.

Why not Shadow Dancer? Isn't that a Shinobi game? Why do people hate it too? It has good graphics and fun gameplay elements. Awesome music, boss battles, and I don't see why people don't like Shadow Dancer.


I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 03:53 PM Reply

At 4/13/13 03:46 PM, TheKlown wrote: Why not Shadow Dancer? Isn't that a Shinobi game? Why do people hate it too? It has good graphics and fun gameplay elements. Awesome music, boss battles, and I don't see why people don't like Shadow Dancer.

I don't know. I never heard of Shadow Dancer until you brought up. I added it to the suggestions though. If it is what you say I could see it as a future entry. Especially since Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures got the much deserved love that it did.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 04:22 PM Reply

At 4/13/13 03:53 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 4/13/13 03:46 PM, TheKlown wrote: Why not Shadow Dancer? Isn't that a Shinobi game? Why do people hate it too? It has good graphics and fun gameplay elements. Awesome music, boss battles, and I don't see why people don't like Shadow Dancer.
I don't know. I never heard of Shadow Dancer until you brought up. I added it to the suggestions though. If it is what you say I could see it as a future entry. Especially since Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures got the much deserved love that it did.

If you still have your Sega Genesis, buy it. You can also play it on an Emulator but for me, I think the best way to experience the quality of a game is to play it on the original device or atleast with the same controller it was meant to be played on. It's funny this game is sold cheap used and new online. It's probably of the best Sega Genesis games for the console. You can have your dog attack enemies! Now, I've heard from the review if people played other Shinobi games they might be not happy with the level of difficulty in this game.(Pretty easy game but fun in my opinion) But I still think its a fun game. I'm not a gamer who personally enjoys overly hard titles, so maybe thats why I like the game too. I actually hate games that try to be overly hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw5yT99LYfM


I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to 16-Bit Gems Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 04:31 PM Reply

At 4/13/13 04:22 PM, TheKlown wrote: If you still have your Sega Genesis, buy it. You can also play it on an Emulator but for me, I think the best way to experience the quality of a game is to play it on the original device or atleast with the same controller it was meant to be played on. It's funny this game is sold cheap used and new online. It's probably of the best Sega Genesis games for the console. You can have your dog attack enemies! Now, I've heard from the review if people played other Shinobi games they might be not happy with the level of difficulty in this game.(Pretty easy game but fun in my opinion) But I still think its a fun game. I'm not a gamer who personally enjoys overly hard titles, so maybe thats why I like the game too. I actually hate games that try to be overly hard.

I have only owned a Sega Genesis once and I don't have it anymore. However I am guessing the full name of the game is Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi. There it is on the Wii Virtual Console. I guess when I updated the thread once I added it, but it didn't really catch my interest.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature