New Topic Respond to this Topic
jamewages
jamewages
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 02:44 AM Reply

Right, first of all, this is not a Nintendo Bashing thread, I own a Wii U and its great, but with the recent news that Rayman Legends has gone multiplatform and Nintendo have lost exclusivity and activision openly slamming the console, is this a sign that third party developers are abandoning the console this early in its lifespan? We have the launch of two powerhouse consoles over the next 12-18 months which will almost certainly overshadow Nintendo's latest offering- I can definately see shades of the Dreamcast in the Wii U launch but what do you guys think, can Nintendo claw it back?

Emlfuryoflion
Emlfuryoflion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 04:37 AM Reply

When the Wii U has it's megaton first party games that we know sell like hot cakes and once those $500-600 PS4's and Xbox3's launch everything will be fine in Nintendo world.

All this nintendoomed garbage is making me sick. Why is it so hard to get people to understand that both the console and Nintendo are going to be fine? The console isn't even 6 months old yet and it's doom this doom that. I guess the thing is just going to be forever doomed even once its sales numbers take off.

kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 07:32 AM Reply

At 4/10/13 02:44 AM, jamewages wrote: activision openly slamming the console

Aka the people who are concerned about the distribution of the hardware with 6-11 year olds and the ones who published Skylanders, a game whose purpose is to suck money out of this target demographic.

BBS Signature
HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 08:43 AM Reply

the problem is that it's only about 10% or 20% more powerful than the current gen consoles, and we're getting next gen (PS4/720) THIS year.

it a big case of "too little, too late for Nintendo"

The best case scenario for them, in my mind, would be to stop making consoles and start developing games for the other ones.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
CalamityCB
CalamityCB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 09:21 AM Reply

At 4/10/13 02:44 AM, jamewages wrote: Right, first of all, this is not a Nintendo Bashing thread, I own a Wii U and its great, but with the recent news that Rayman Legends has gone multiplatform and Nintendo have lost exclusivity and activision openly slamming the console, is this a sign that third party developers are abandoning the console this early in its lifespan? We have the launch of two powerhouse consoles over the next 12-18 months which will almost certainly overshadow Nintendo's latest offering- I can definately see shades of the Dreamcast in the Wii U launch but what do you guys think, can Nintendo claw it back?

Well, third party publishers are starting to settle down with the console, in the past two days Batman arkham origins and the new splintercell have been confirmed for the WiiU

boop

FrostGuardian
FrostGuardian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 10:57 AM Reply

Its too early to tell its starting off slow but i wont be surprised if its number 1 in sales again.

Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 12:10 PM Reply

At 4/10/13 02:44 AM, jamewages wrote: Right, first of all, this is not a Nintendo Bashing thread, I own a Wii U and its great, but with the recent news that Rayman Legends has gone multiplatform and Nintendo have lost exclusivity and activision openly slamming the console, is this a sign that third party developers are abandoning the console this early in its lifespan? We have the launch of two powerhouse consoles over the next 12-18 months which will almost certainly overshadow Nintendo's latest offering- I can definately see shades of the Dreamcast in the Wii U launch but what do you guys think, can Nintendo claw it back?

That's not recent news. Rayman was announced that it was going multiplatform at the beginning of Februrary. Since then games like MH3U and LCU have been released, WiiU sales grew in several places and many more games have been confirmed for release. And we still haven't seen Nintendo first party which is what everyone is most looking for.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 02:39 PM Reply

At 4/10/13 08:43 AM, HighWay wrote: the problem is that it's only about 10% or 20% more powerful than the current gen consoles, and we're getting next gen (PS4/720) THIS year.

Who the FUCK cares about "power". Power does not make good games

Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 03:32 PM Reply

People seem to say this about every new Nintendo system. Then the big first-party games come out and everyone forgets that the system was selling poorly initially.

People don't seem to understand that Nintendo consoles never needed tons of third-party support to survive. They have more than enough high-selling first-party franchises to help sell them. If the Super Nintendo didn't have much third-party support, it'd still be a great system with it's massive amount of fantastic first-party games.

Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 06:09 PM Reply

At 4/10/13 02:39 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Who the FUCK cares about "power".

I can think of one guy.

Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 06:38 PM Reply

If a Handheld such as the 3ds is outselling Nintendo's WII U console than you know there's a problem because the handheld business is struggling as is. It's ashame, they should have planned it out better and released Zelda on day one of the console release. Yes, I know it takes years to make games but they're suppose to have planned it out much better. Right now the Wii U is on the same path as the Dreamcast, except unlike the Dreamcast, it doesn't even have quality titles yet. Dreamcast came out with what Powerstone, Soul Caliber, and Sonic. Big time titles, which for the time period were very impressive when the Dreamcast was only competing against ps1 and n64 at the time of its 1999 release date. Yes, I know later it competed against PS2, but thats another story.

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 07:37 PM Reply

At 4/10/13 06:38 PM, TheKlown wrote: If a Handheld such as the 3ds is outselling Nintendo's WII U console than you know there's a problem because the handheld business is struggling as is.

This logic is really really flawed.

Cheaper system, that doesn't need to occupy a T.V, parents love that kind of thing. The fact that the Gameboy and DS sold hundreds of millions of units is because the handheld market should be more active than the console market. Jesus.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 07:48 PM Reply

I have yet to find a must-have game for my Wii U.

Hopefully the latest 3D Mario, Mario Kart, or Zelda game will come soon.

Freaki-boy92
Freaki-boy92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Is The Wii U Dying Before Its Begun Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At 4/10/13 08:43 AM, HighWay wrote: the problem is that it's only about 10% or 20% more powerful than the current gen consoles, and we're getting next gen (PS4/720) THIS year.

it a big case of "too little, too late for Nintendo"

The best case scenario for them, in my mind, would be to stop making consoles and start developing games for the other ones.

remember how the wii wasn't much more powerful than the gamecube?
remember how that was the best selling console of its generation?
remember nintendo's dominance in the handheld market- the ps vita has nothing on the 3ds

i think nintendo are a-okay