00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Matilly just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What is a Genius?

2,730 Views | 27 Replies

What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 01:09:57

....Or a savant, prodigy, fluke, etc. There really isn't a good definition of this type of person. What do you guys think it is?

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 01:17:48

At 4/9/13 01:14 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 4/9/13 01:09 AM, thelastsamaritan wrote: There really isn't a good definition of this type of person.
A person highly skilled, talented or knowledgeable in a particular area.

So lets say in theory they are really good at something obscure, like the best techno producer in the world, but they suck at math, are they still a genius?

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 02:08:50

At 4/9/13 01:23 AM, Entice wrote:
At 4/9/13 01:17 AM, thelastsamaritan wrote: So lets say in theory they are really good at something obscure, like the best techno producer in the world, but they suck at math, are they still a genius?
No one is magically good at everything
there's only so much time in life to develop yo skills

True.

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 02:13:29

I'm a genius in some areas but a complete moron in others.

IQ has little to do with it.

~Sweet memories of us I do recall~

~Dear angel please come back before I fall~

BBS Signature

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 02:24:22

At 4/9/13 02:13 AM, CresIsis wrote: I'm a genius in some areas but a complete moron in others.

IQ has little to do with it.

What is a Genius?

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 02:30:00

Those guys who work at the apple stores

Let's all catch thumbtacks on our bare eyes!

BBS Signature

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 04:55:55

At 4/9/13 01:09 AM, thelastsamaritan wrote: There really isn't a good definition of this type of person.

I personally wouldn't define a genius by those attributes. I'd hand those traits over to the term "master," instead.
To be a master, or expert, means that you've acquired skills through years of research and experience in a particular subject, martial art, etc.
Knowledge and skill imply that you've spent time training or learning, but a genius is often naturally proficient.

I usually pair the terms "genius" and "prodigy" together as synonyms most of the time; someone who is a prodigy is likely to be precocious, whereas a master probably spent years developing the skills necessary to call himself a master.

tl;dr genius: naturally intelligent/talented

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 05:12:34

I agree with toshiglance; a genius is a person who can do amazing things incredibly well without actually having to go through the process of earning the ability to do so, or at least they just went through that process MUCH quicker than the average person. Generally I think genius is most commonly used to describe mental abilities, not physical abilities, but those mental abilities seem to allow them to learn physical skills far quicker than the average person.

tl;dr geniuses suck unless they invent something useful that benefits real people

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 09:42:18

At 4/9/13 01:09 AM, thelastsamaritan wrote: ....Or a savant, prodigy, fluke, etc. There really isn't a good definition of this type of person. What do you guys think it is?

Well... the generally accepted definition, and the one favored by the dude who first coined the term "genius" to refer to someone with outstanding mental ability, is someone who's IQ, as measured on any of the standard instruments, is three or more standard deviations above average. On the Stanford-Benet, that comes in at around 145. Only about 1:1000 people who take that particular test score that high. On other tests, the scores vary (although the ratio of genius to non-genius does not), but, generally, you're looking at something in the 140-150 range above.

It's hard to say for certain though, because, frankly, none of the standard tests are really all that accurate at the extreme high and low ends of the scale. They're just not designed for that.

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 13:46:31

"A genius is a person who has exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality, typically to a degree that is associated with the achievement of unprecedented insight."

So yeah basically.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius

Note that every year, it's harder to be a genius. It was way easier to be a musical genius in Mozart's time, or a scientific genius in Leonardo Davinci's era. The things we discover today require a lot more basic knowledge, equipment and skill.

BBS Signature

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 16:48:18

At 4/9/13 01:17 AM, thelastsamaritan wrote: So lets say in theory they are really good at something obscure, like the best techno producer in the world, but they suck at math, are they still a genius?

Unless your area of proficiency happens to be the ability to learn new things.

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 20:21:17

At 4/9/13 01:09 AM, thelastsamaritan wrote: ....Or a savant, prodigy, fluke, etc. There really isn't a good definition of this type of person. What do you guys think it is?

Ummm. A genius is someone who passes the MENSA exams on the first try. A savant is a kind of retard who is incredibly skilled in only one area, like painting, or farting the alphabet. A fluke is a kind of aquatic parasite that lives off fish. And original is not using Google to change an opinion before you state it.

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-09 21:17:08

Something that doesn't exist on the Internet.

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-10 00:03:58

At 4/9/13 09:04 PM, Profanity wrote: I think people have a hard time talking about intelligence. It can stir up feelings of unequality.

I think you hit the nail on the head sir.

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-10 00:53:21

+1 +1 +1 +1 :D

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-10 01:09:24

Pretty much. We can close this thread now.

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-10 01:28:25

Genius is the one who do the smart thing and make all look not smart when stand next to

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-10 08:17:25

At 4/9/13 01:09 AM, thelastsamaritan wrote: What do you guys think it is?

Someone who has greater control over their mind than anyone else. It seems physical achievements do not apply.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-10 12:19:13

Savant is an autistic prodigy.
Prodigy is someone who is a genius from a very young age.
I think the second post explained very well what genius is.

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-04-10 12:35:13

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-11-08 20:27:22

Usualy it's some wunderkind who gets to hear "What a smart children", "Unbelievable, a young.. GENIOUS!" and such a lot, and after few shining years of starting real life and hitting puberty get lost in some kind of narcisstic, elitist view on life which was tucked into the poor kid since he/she started showing high intelligence.

The same goes with non-geniouses tho. Look what fame did to JB or Mcculkin's parents and in consequences to Macaulay himself.

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-11-08 21:05:26

Someone who has a brilliant idea without being able to understand why it's so brilliant.

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-11-08 21:51:05

Modern neuroscience going into detail put the causal variant simply at the way your brain is wired, where your neurons are and how efficient your brain is as a whole. It mostly depends on the way your brain is wired, the meta-plasticity of those wiring's and how your genes effect the path your neurons wire give or take experience.

I recommend reading up on acquired savant syndrome and some of the experiments neuroscientists are replicating to artificially create this quality of information processing in normal humans. There's still a lot we don't know but we're beginning to expand our bases.

BBS Signature

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-11-08 21:56:29

A genius is a person who displays exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality, typically to a degree that is associated with the achievement of unprecedented insight.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-11-08 21:59:28

I usually use genius to mean someone with cutting insight who can solve complex problems in a unique way. I don't think many of the people I think of in this light actually have high IQs though, they might score hella high on divergent thinking tests though.

BBS Signature

Response to What is a Genius? 2013-11-09 07:19:56

I beg to differ. There is not a single topic in which I do not know everything about.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to What is a Genius? 2016-01-11 22:52:05

A show off

Response to What is a Genius? 2016-01-11 22:55:16

At 1/11/16 10:52 PM, forgivemysinz wrote: A show off

nice necro

BBS Signature