TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 05:00 PM Reply

The Construct 2 Touch Game Jam is in progress, with an April 30th deadline!

A big motivation behind the touch theme is the desire to play these games on phones and tablets. We have a growing number of HTML5 games on NG but most of them still require a keyboard, leaving them with a lot of the same platform limitations as Flash games.

Even with HTML5 and touch support, many roadblocks remain for making a web game work well on the phone. For example I've played some games where the controls overlap the back button in my iPhone browser - disastrous. Others have controls that are too small, dimensions that don't resize properly, audio that doesn't work, etc. To help guide developers, I've tested out a bunch of the Touch Jam games on my iPhone and logged my findings. If you are an experienced HTML5 / Construct 2 developer, this would be a great time to provide some tips and feedback in response to this thread!

• Platform Bear
    Platform Bear by 60vNeon

Simple html5 platform game

Score
    3.03 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Platform Bear is currently the top rated game in the competition but it crashes on my iPhone. Not sure what causes that but it's a bummer.

• The Journey to heaven?
    The Journey to heaven? by viivoices

(Demo) A story of sadness and love. (A Construct 2 Html5 game for the touchjam contest).

Score
    2.85 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

The Journey to Heaven was off to a great start but when I got to the part where I open and close portals, my character was off the screen. I switched from horizontal to vertical orientation on my iPhone and this solved it. I believe the game should have been able to resize itself properly for a horizontal orientation. The audio worked and the game played well overall, although the touchable objects were really small. Would definitely play best in a proper horizontal mode.

• Hit Spit
    Hit Spit by MACPK

Simple game of skill. Hit Spits (fishbones) of the right color. What's your highscore?

Score
    2.67 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Hit Spit more obviously needs to be played in a vertical orientation. Some HTML5 games default to full-screen on my phone but this one defaulted to around half the potential size, so I had to expand it with my fingers to make it fill the screen. Besides that it plays great on my phone. The music and sound effects didn't work, though.

• Poker Dice Solitaire
    Poker Dice Solitaire by ManleyPeterson

Poker Dice Solitaire is an exciting game of chance and strategy.

Score
    2.65 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Poker Dice Solitaire properly filled my screen in both horizontal and vertical orientation, so something was done right there! The audio also worked and it played well as a touch game. I don't normally seek out this kind of game but it turned out to be catchy and also serves as a good technical example of everything working right with a mobile web game.

• BroBalls 2
    BroBalls 2 by nolax

Two balls are better than one! BroBalls is BACK!

Score
    2.65 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

BroBalls 2 was an April Fools gag but still worth a try! The screen resized properly for both horizontal and vertical orientation. The "High Scores" and "Mute" buttons on the title screen didn't render properly on my phone. The game itself ran great and the touch controls for the paddles were responsive. A good example of web pinball on a phone. The music worked but the sound effects did not.

• Crane it Up!!
    Crane it Up!! by antpixel

Help Tifa to get a bear Dolls :-D

Score
    2.60 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Crane it Up opened with an advertisement countdown where no advertisement actually played. The game itself fills the screen great at a vertical orientation but gets cropped at horizontal. The dimensions were obviously made for vertical, though. Everything ran great on my phone and the controls worked but the music and sound effects did not.

• Zombie Creator
    Zombie Creator by linkaevolution

You must survive as long as you liquidate to over 5.000 zombies, if you make it!!

Score
    2.60 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Zombie Creator didn't resize to fill my screen so I held my phone horizontally and used my fingers to expand it. The game ran well on my phone but the controls were really small and made it a challenge to play. The sound also didn't work on my phone.

• Pick to Win
    Pick to Win by ManleyPeterson

Try to find 5 real gems scattered among the fakes.

Score
    2.51 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Pick to Win is another good example of everything working. The game resized properly in both horizontal and vertical, the audio worked, and it played well as a touch game. It's basically like Minesweeper but with gems.

• Grenadier Fox
    Grenadier Fox by klwong

Physics based demolition with grenades!

Score
    2.50 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Grenadier Fox played well on my phone. It is obviously meant for horizontal orientation but scaled to properly fill the space either way. Sadly, the audio didn't work on my phone.

• Avoid the Dino
    Avoid the Dino by tosoft

Touch anywhere on the screen to collect the Eggs. Avoid touching the Dinosaurs.

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Avoid the Dino is another one that doesn't resize to fill the screen, but works ok in the default horizontal size. The amusing thing here is that in the web version, the Dino follows your mouse movement. On a phone, the Dino simply warps to wherever you tap. It means you can just tap an egg to grab it without having to maneuver past dinosaurs but it still presented a challenge because you had to be sure to tap somewhere else before the incoming dinos got you. The sound didn't work on my phone.

So these are my findings so far! Again, I'm not an experienced HTML5 game dev so I'm hoping this post can open a dialog on NG that leads to a better mobile gaming experience. When the mobile version of NG launches, mobile-friendly games will have the spotlight. Hopefully we'll have lots of good ones by then!

NOTE: HTML5 upload access is invite-only at the moment. PM me to request access!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Saminat
Saminat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 05:11 PM Reply

Hoo nelly! We've come a long way since Pico's School!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 4/8/13 05:11 PM, Saminat wrote: Hoo nelly! We've come a long way since Pico's School!

I still need to try and get a proper HTML5 version of Pico's School... I ran one through that Google tool a while back but black lines appeared through a bunch of the vectors. Also no audio. I should just rebuild it in Construct 2.

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 05:21 PM Reply

At 4/8/13 05:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: I still need to try and get a proper HTML5 version of Pico's School... I ran one through that Google tool a while back but black lines appeared through a bunch of the vectors. Also no audio. I should just rebuild it in Construct 2.

Might as well make Pico 2 then, huh? :P

Also, Newgrounds having a mobile gaming section is going to expand the audience like crazy. I'm excited!

Jay
Jay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 05:24 PM Reply

I'm interested to see what games come out of all of this. Remade, new, or otherwise.

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 05:27 PM Reply

Tom, I'm trying out some of these games on my Nexus 7 tablet and Galaxy Nexus phone and they are doing pretty well. However this is with firefox beta browser, I plan on playing with the stock android browser, chrome browser, dolphin and boat but goddamn I don't have time for that - Have you had luck trying other browsers on your iphone?

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 05:30 PM Reply

At 4/8/13 05:27 PM, Malachy wrote: Tom, I'm trying out some of these games on my Nexus 7 tablet and Galaxy Nexus phone and they are doing pretty well. However this is with firefox beta browser, I plan on playing with the stock android browser, chrome browser, dolphin and boat but goddamn I don't have time for that - Have you had luck trying other browsers on your iphone?

I haven't tried other browsers on my iPhone but I'm working under the assumption most iPhone owners are using the stock browser. Still, worth adventuring.

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 06:04 PM Reply

I've been trying to use flash to make another better Android game.

It's easier and cheaper to test on.
It may involve kangaroos.
But that idea might get thrown out completely...

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 06:48 PM Reply

Hahha look at them scores :3

larrynachos
larrynachos
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 07:09 PM Reply

Ooh, i'm looking forward to submitting my submission :D It needs some work, so i hope i can get it done by the deadline!

Just making room for my inevitable NGAUC signature <3

GhostWriterNext
GhostWriterNext
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 07:17 PM Reply

There is an html5 player for animations under MIT license any chance you could help with it http://www.synfig.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3835
I was wondering if it would be possible that by 2015 Newgrounds would end flash as a supported format.

TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 07:26 PM Reply

At 4/8/13 07:17 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: I was wondering if it would be possible that by 2015 Newgrounds would end flash as a supported format.

That would be a pretty stupid decision if that happened

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 07:49 PM Reply

At 4/8/13 05:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: Even with HTML5 and touch support, many roadblocks remain for making a web game work well on the phone. For example I've played some games where the controls overlap the back button in my iPhone browser - disastrous. Others have controls that are too small, dimensions that don't resize properly, audio that doesn't work, etc. To help guide developers, I've tested out a bunch of the Touch Jam games on my iPhone and logged my findings.
Platform Bear is currently the top rated game in the competition but it crashes on my iPhone. Not sure what causes that but it's a bummer.

theres your problem Tom its your phone if you used a good Android phone and installed a modified Flash program you wouldn't have that problem!

NoLanLabs
NoLanLabs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 08:03 PM Reply

At 4/8/13 05:00 PM, TomFulp wrote:

:The music worked but the sound effects did not.

We tested on a few different devices and the sound sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. There were a lot of little incompatibility things like that but the gameplay itself seemed to translate flawlessly to the devices we had, which was cool.

Is Unity support on the horizon? I need an excuse to get into that.

Happy Robot Day 2014! Play our latest GAME! It's in 3-D!

Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 08:39 PM Reply

At 4/8/13 05:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: audio that doesn't work, etc.

To be fair though, that's because Safari iOS can only play one size at a time.

Also, a bit off topic, but mobile should be the at the forefront of everyone's mind. Design for mobile and then scale up. It's much easier and practical than design for web and scaling down.

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 08:46 PM Reply

Also, the biggest problem I had with HTML5 for mobile was performance. CreateJS is by far the best solution out there, but you're always going to have problems on old devices. And with screensize. Developing for Android is a nightmare.

I would say native apps are better, especially with tools like AIR3.6+, Unity3D, PhoneGap and GameClosure, that allow developers to use their existing skills.

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 08:50 PM Reply

At 4/8/13 05:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: I haven't tried other browsers on my iPhone but I'm working under the assumption most iPhone owners are using the stock browser. Still, worth adventuring.

All browsers on (non-jailbroken) iPhones are running Apple's implementation of WebKit, so there wont be much difference in capabilities between the stock browser (i.e. Safari) and 3rd party browsers (e.g. Chrome).

Apart form Opera Mini, which is a god awful proxy browser that doesn't implement JS.

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 8th, 2013 @ 10:09 PM Reply

Did you really just review "Avoid the Dino?"

Good.

ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 12:56 AM Reply

Yes! The way society digests it's media is constantly changing. Just like any media, from print, to the radio, to the TV; The web is not any different. So, I'm wondering if this could be the point at which there is a fundamental change from browser based plug-ins to straight up browser rendering.

Either way, Newgrounds is always charting new realms of creative media and I'm really glad to see that NG it's beginning to embark on yet another realm. HTML5/CSS/JS is definitely the way of the future.

Looking forward to watching the site grow!

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 05:38 AM Reply

I've considered making a mobile non-app based compatible game for a couple of weeks, now, since I believe gaming's moving away from desktop computers and onto phones.
My goal's to get a steampunk-ish platformer out for Robot Day, using Construct 2.

BBS Signature
Stix
Stix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 05:45 AM Reply

The future of Newgrounds is looking bright.

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 06:53 AM Reply

At 4/8/13 05:15 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/8/13 05:11 PM, Saminat wrote: Hoo nelly! We've come a long way since Pico's School!
I still need to try and get a proper HTML5 version of Pico's School... I ran one through that Google tool a while back but black lines appeared through a bunch of the vectors. Also no audio. I should just rebuild it in Construct 2.

You should call that version Pico's School 2 just for fun and giggles.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG Trophy Leaderboard / NG User Icon Makers / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
Nights57
Nights57
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 08:34 AM Reply

I haven't submitted anything to newgrounds since 04 (Gosh how time flies. . .), but I hope to submit something for this contest!

Kajenx
Kajenx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 09:38 AM Reply

HTML5 just never works very well for me. It never seems to understand my keyboard input and it freezes up my browser... I'm on an older computer, but it's not like a dinosaur. And, I'm using the latest version of Firefox.

It needs a lot of work before I'll touch it as a dev, I think.

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 09:40 AM Reply

At 4/8/13 05:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: I still need to try and get a proper HTML5 version of Pico's School... I ran one through that Google tool a while back but black lines appeared through a bunch of the vectors. Also no audio. I should just rebuild it in Construct 2.

sothink has a a SWF to HTML5 and it works great with AS1

original I am.

BBS Signature
Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 10:45 AM Reply

At 4/9/13 09:38 AM, Kajenx wrote: HTML5 just never works very well for me. It never seems to understand my keyboard input and it freezes up my browser... I'm on an older computer, but it's not like a dinosaur. And, I'm using the latest version of Firefox.

It needs a lot of work before I'll touch it as a dev, I think.

Hey the same for me. html5 is constantly dicking up my computer. I haven't tried to build with it yet but other people's games built in it are always crashing my browser or freezing shit up. I avoid html5 games at all costs now.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 11:03 AM Reply

At 4/8/13 07:17 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: I was wondering if it would be possible that by 2015 Newgrounds would end flash as a supported format.

The majority of the good web games are still being made with Flash and we have almost 15 years of Flash content - the goal will be to support that for eternity.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 11:04 AM Reply

At 4/8/13 08:03 PM, NoLanLabs wrote: Is Unity support on the horizon? I need an excuse to get into that.

Yes, Unity support is coming! You can already do it through the HTML5 upload feature, but we'll have more direct support soon.

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 11:29 AM Reply

At 4/8/13 07:17 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote:
I was wondering if it would be possible that by 2015 Newgrounds would end flash as a supported format.

only if furryart is banned first.

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Mobile HTML5 Games Progress Report Apr. 9th, 2013 @ 01:02 PM Reply

At 4/9/13 11:29 AM, MindChamber wrote:
At 4/8/13 07:17 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote:
only if furryart is banned first.

can that happen anyways

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature