New Topic Respond to this Topic
Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-06 00:34:35 Reply

One day, in my big dumb art college, we drew muscle groups in class. I found that to be enjoyable, and educational.

So yeah, this is basically an anatomy practice thread. Ain't that nice? After all, everybody needs to practice their anatomy. Certain people more than others.

The idea of this thread is to draw the layers underneath the skin; specifically, muscle groups and bones. This is so that we focus more on how these groups are shaped; skin and fat tends to cover up a lot of the detail of that. So, ideally, there should be about as much skin in your drawings for this thread as there is on Super Meat Boy.

read; none

Questions that may be frequently asked

Do I have to draw everything exactly the way it is? What if I don't want to exactly reproduce anatomy?

You don't have to. Stylization is allowed; after all, drawing every single muscle is a pain and complicated; the general shape of a group can be equally effective in getting the message across, and it's practice all the same. You don't even have to reproduce the same pose of a source (like I didn't in my incompetently done starter image) although I would advise always having some sort of reference (like I did in my incompetently done start image).

Can I do non-human anatomy?

Sure, why not.

Anything else doesn't really matter I think, as long as it's muscles and bones without skin.

So that's the ideal of the thread, now how about some rules?

RULES: PLEASE DON'T BREAK EM

1: Don't be a meanie face

This is a practice thread concerning something easy to fuck up; if you're going to critique, then you damn well better make sure it's a good critique because being mean spirited just makes a thread shit.

2: Pictures or advice only

Another precaution to prevent thread shitting-up. Please, please, please do not make superfluous posts all over the place. This includes bullshit like "I think I'll do this", "I will draw a picture for this thread" or "this is a good idea". I see that crap all the time on activity threads with zero followup. Show your enthusiasm to participate by participating.

3: Don't try to be cute by shitting up the thread in ways not specifically mentioned in the rules

I don't give a shit how much you dislike another user. Neither does anybody else. If somebody's breaking the rules, that doesn't let you break rule two in response. You can't call somebody an untalented shithead and then call that advice, because that's not good advice, much like you can't draw a picture of a stick figure and call that a good picture.
In short: your shitty critique is like a shitty picture, and it pisses everybody off when you do it.

I can't do anything to make you follow these rules; I just want everybody to have a good time getting better.

To start us off, I have a few links to anatomical illustrations right here, and if you want to suggest some websites or scan some books for more source material people don't have to search for, go right ahead and send it to me in a PM and I'll stick it in the news post.

rule 2

Also, if any forum moderators decide that somebody's being a stupid piece of shit, I definitely don't make the rules for them, so rule 2 doesn't protect you from mod-gifted one line burns that assault your lack of intelligence.

So let's do this thing.

Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-06 05:11:52 Reply

Some vanilla skull references I found. Nothing too exciting.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-06 06:10:06 Reply

At 4/6/13 05:11 AM, Lintire wrote: Some vanilla skull references I found. Nothing too exciting.

I drew one of these skulls.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Polyboom
Polyboom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Art Lover
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-06 07:06:12 Reply

At 4/6/13 06:10 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 4/6/13 05:11 AM, Lintire wrote: Some vanilla skull references I found. Nothing too exciting.

When you do these studies I recommend to not only draw the outlines of each shape, but instead try to indicate the curves and shapes inside of the reference.

Here is a link to one of my studies of a skull SKULL STUDY!

Don't be afraid of putting more down lines, it can be much easier to start with too many lines in your studies and then as you master it, you will naturally make less lines.

Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-06 08:18:25 Reply

At 4/6/13 07:06 AM, Polyboom wrote: When you do these studies I recommend to not only draw the outlines of each shape, but instead try to indicate the curves and shapes inside of the reference.

Whoop I draw the opposite way :( I drew this from life. I draw wobbly bits where shading should be because fuck the police.

I don't always do this but it's like my standard

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-06 11:25:38 Reply

At 4/6/13 07:06 AM, Polyboom wrote:
At 4/6/13 06:10 AM, Aigis wrote:
When you do these studies I recommend to not only draw the outlines of each shape, but instead try to indicate the curves and shapes inside of the reference.

Here is a link to one of my studies of a skull SKULL STUDY!

Don't be afraid of putting more down lines, it can be much easier to start with too many lines in your studies and then as you master it, you will naturally make less lines.

Aye, shade that shit! Lines are okay for learning proportions and where the muscles actually are.
Also for constructing characters, but this is only if you already know anatomy.
but shading allow you to feel the form of the object your studying, it help to understand how they interconnect into and over each other. and i can definitely recommend studying that way.

Also i would like to make something for this thread, but exams... so no :(

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-06 11:48:12 Reply

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-06 22:54:21 Reply

At 4/6/13 07:06 AM, Polyboom wrote: When you do these studies I recommend to not only draw the outlines of each shape, but instead try to indicate the curves and shapes inside of the reference.

I tried.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-07 02:47:17 Reply

Some more muscular views - this time on the side, because that's usually a blind spot for me.
[1] [2] [3] [4]

Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-07 20:25:16 Reply

Bonez

Used this, sort of.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-08 06:40:59 Reply

I drew another skull, and for fun I decided to try and imagine what the skull of one of my webcomic's characters would look like.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-08 22:14:38 Reply

Been wanting to post in this thread since it popped up two days ago.
I got some time at lunch to do some quick sketching today, lunch seems to be the only time I have to draw anymore... but at least I got something done. And then my damn scanner didn't want to work on my new computer, so that took me a half hour to fix, great as always, but at least here it is.

No reference used, and a bit overly stylized, but I have always kind of though super buff comic book muscles were kind of cool.

Sadly the piece doesn't look as "Skinless" as I would like, the muscle fibers look more like part of the gestural drawing rather than intentional. I might get some time to refine it in the future, or re do it all together. It felt good to get nice and loos with a quick sketch again, I haven't done it in way too long. I need to make more time to sketch.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-08 22:58:34 Reply

At 4/8/13 06:40 AM, Aigis wrote: I drew another skull, and for fun I decided to try and imagine what the skull of one of my webcomic's characters would look like.

Look into fetal skulls, and its eerily close to that of your comic characters.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Muscles N' Bones: Activity Thread 2013-04-11 20:55:15 Reply

Closest thing to practice I did in ages. Thanks, Felis.

Reference

BBS Signature