New Topic Respond to this Topic
MooseTracks
MooseTracks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Need Help W/ Shine In Eyes & Fur Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 04:16 AM Reply

Hi, I've been practicing realism (boy, is it difficult!) for a while and currently I'm trying to draw a raccoon on iScribble (I think I've got the proportions correct, now I just need to add detail. The thing that's bugging me is the shine in the raccoon's eyes. I used the eraser tool and a white pen but it just ended up looking wrong. Not sure what I'm doing wrong (I'm horrible at shading and textures). If you could give me some advice on how to do it better and maybe some help on how to do fur (it just looks like a mess to me in the photograph) I would appreciate it. I know it's bad but bear with me please. Thanks!

P.S. I'm not that good at drawing forms from simple shapes either, but that's what I tried to do.

Here's my attempt. http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae150/ACritic/raccoonatte mpt_zpse21f444c.jpg

Need Help W/ Shine In Eyes & Fur

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Need Help W/ Shine In Eyes & Fur Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 12:01 PM Reply

At 4/5/13 04:16 AM, MooseTracks wrote: Here's my attempt. http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae150/ACritic/raccoonatte mpt_zpse21f444c.jpg

I've never used iScribble (I'd definitely recommend moving to something a little more professional.), but are there any softer brushes available? It looks like your highlight is very hard and sharp.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Need Help W/ Shine In Eyes & Fur Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 01:23 PM Reply

Here's what I'm getting at. This is the eye of the raccoon in your picture all close up and pixellated. The reflection of light in the eye isn't simply white (Infact there isn't any white at all but that's subjective), It's strongest points of light then fade outwards to black, softly. I believe the fact that you're simply using hard white lines is why it's not looking quite right.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Need Help W/ Shine In Eyes & Fur Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 01:27 PM Reply

Just to further the point.

MooseTracks
MooseTracks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need Help W/ Shine In Eyes & Fur Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 05:25 PM Reply

At 4/5/13 01:27 PM, Rumsworth wrote: Just to further the point.

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Need Help W/ Shine In Eyes & Fur Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 05:41 PM Reply

Its also worth mentioning that the eye itself isnt flat black either. Adding in the subtle shade changes will make it seem more three dimensional and will help make the highlights shine better.