New Topic Respond to this Topic
Yert
Yert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 09:26 PM Reply

Most days I wonder why anything is anything at all. Why is there something instead of nothing? What came first the chicken or the egg? When one considers these questions it seems like existence doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I don't know why anything is anything at all. I don't know why there is something instead of nothing, and I really have no hypothesis as to if the chicken or egg came first. Thoughts?

granddimensions
granddimensions
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 09:32 PM Reply

their paradoxes, haha, they have no real answer, and they never will. This sort of thing is way past normal chronological thinking, though im curious on what people will reply...

granddimensions
granddimensions
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 09:33 PM Reply

they'r, please excuse my bad spelling there

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 09:36 PM Reply

Based on the laws of evolution we have our answer:
Whenever ago a chicken like animal that wasn't quite a chicken laid an egg that contained an actual chicken.
The egg.

BBS Signature
Jeffyx
Jeffyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 09:51 PM Reply

Lay off the weed, and try not to think about shit like that. It fucks with your head.

"Life is a bitch, so learn how to fuck it" | Become my NG fan! | #teamsuckdick

BBS Signature
illicit
illicit
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 09:54 PM Reply

At 3/30/13 09:26 PM, Yert wrote: Most days I wonder why anything is anything at all. Why is there something instead of nothing?

Ditto

What came first the chicken or the egg?

the chicken came many years after the volcano's created land

When one considers these questions it seems like existence doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yep

:I don't know why anything is anything at all.
Me either.

I don't know why there is something instead of nothing

Sometimes I prefer to think nothingness is better then just something.

:and I really have no hypothesis as to if the chicken or egg came first. Thoughts?
Trick question. The chicken laid an egg and it hatched. The universe gave birth to the earth. Earth if seen as an egg came first. Is the 'universe" the chicken or the egg. And so on.

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 10:12 PM Reply

At 3/30/13 09:33 PM, granddimensions wrote: they'r, please excuse my bad spelling there

After 2nd chance, you couldn't spell "they're" properly. Kill yourself please.

Please review This Song [ Genre - Cinematic ] [Length - 3:33]

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 10:20 PM Reply

"why not?"-god

BBS Signature
ChineseBoar1995
ChineseBoar1995
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 10:21 PM Reply

At 3/30/13 09:26 PM, Yert wrote: Most days I wonder why anything is anything at all. Why is there something instead of nothing? What came first the chicken or the egg? When one considers these questions it seems like existence doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I don't know why anything is anything at all. I don't know why there is something instead of nothing, and I really have no hypothesis as to if the chicken or egg came first. Thoughts?

There really is no answer. If we found out already, it would've been revealed at some point. You know, the whole human race knows absolutely nothing about everything. Follow me on this: we have time, where we know it moves forward but have no idea how to stop it, slow it down, or even reverse. The evolution of life is another, which pretty much connects with time. Chemistry, where we only have a model of what an atom "would" look like, yet due to the lack of advanced tech we have no idea what it truly looks like. The list goes on and on. The point being is that we know less than half of 1% of everything in the universe, and it seems we're nowhere near discovering it all. Maybe at one point we'll reach 1%, but who knows how long that'll take.

That's what I kinda think...

I am a man, but I can change if I have to...I guess.

BBS Signature
Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 10:36 PM Reply

Go to sleep

いないいないばあ

BBS Signature
Piggler
Piggler
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Artist
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 10:43 PM Reply

Read some existentialist philosophy and metaphysics and then formulate your own answer.

BBS Signature
LionzNTiggerz
LionzNTiggerz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 10:44 PM Reply

IT's because a masochistic octopus had sex with the bum-devil.

Gramiscus
Gramiscus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 3/30/13 09:32 PM, granddimensions wrote: their paradoxes, haha, they have no real answer, and they never will. This sort of thing is way past normal chronological thinking, though im curious on what people will reply...

Maybe they do have a real answer. Scientists just recently discovered the Higgs boson, which makes up what makes up what makes up stuff that makes us.

Kind of a deep well. Who knows how far it will go.

I go to school to study how high frequency sound waves can heal, ...or KILL.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 10:56 PM Reply

At 3/30/13 10:12 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 3/30/13 09:33 PM, granddimensions wrote: they'r, please excuse my bad spelling there
After 2nd chance, you couldn't spell "they're" properly. Kill yourself please.

You're such an elitistinen.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Writer
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 10:59 PM Reply

One thing I got from 23 years of living is that some things just don't have to make sense to me to be in existence

It is what it is, I'm just happy to be here most of the time to experience the things i did

Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
UnsaltedBreadCakes
UnsaltedBreadCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:14 AM Reply

At 3/30/13 09:26 PM, Yert wrote:

Why something instead of nothing?

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:30 AM Reply

Yes that happens to me sometimes, but then I laugh at the guy who got hit in the groin on tv and I forget all about it.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:47 AM Reply

If you think of events in the universe as happening chronologically with traditional logic you might run into this problem, but quantum mechanics offers a way out.

BBS Signature
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:50 AM Reply

Why is anything anything? Who knows. Things don't need purpose to be unique or special, that goes for people to.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Reader
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 12:52 AM Reply

Genesis 1:1

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 01:06 AM Reply

The energy to make the big bang had to come from somewhere.

i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 04:26 AM Reply

At 3/30/13 09:26 PM, Yert wrote: Most days I wonder why anything is anything at all. Why is there something instead of nothing?

this is an interesting question actually, which does not have a trivial answer. in classical physics, there is not anything in a perfect vacuum, no electronmagnetic fields, no particles, etc... just emptiness. however, in quantum physics, this is not allowed. the expectation value of the ground state is 0 (vacuum state), but there is still some fluctuation around the vacuum state. virtual particles pop in and out of existence all the time and you cannot eliminate it.

and you can actually observe the effects of virtual particles experimentally because virtual particles are mediators of forces. (example: casimir effect,)

^Just another nonsensical forum post.^

SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 04:42 AM Reply

Life is simply a break from an eternity of nothingness. Just make it worth it.

"I felt like an avenging angel, what I looked like was a fat bald guy with a bad temper." - Max Payne
Dean is a winner Also, stop whining for the chat and go check this out ▾▾

BBS Signature
CresIsis
CresIsis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 04:42 AM Reply

Practice Nihilism, become a nihilist.

~Sweet memories of us I do recall~
~Dear angel please come back before I fall~

supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 04:47 AM Reply

in the beginning god created the heavens & the earth. now the earth was formless & empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep & the spirit of god was hovering over the waters. god said "let there be light" & there was light. god saw that the light was good & he separated the light from the darkness. god called the light "day" & the darkness "night" & there was evening & there was morning . . . the first day

--supergandhi64

BBS Signature
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 04:48 AM Reply

At 3/31/13 04:47 AM, supergandhi64 wrote: in the beginning god created the heavens & the earth. now the earth was formless & empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep & the spirit of god was hovering over the waters. god said "let there be light" & there was light. god saw that the light was good & he separated the light from the darkness. god called the light "day" & the darkness "night" & there was evening & there was morning . . . the first day

--supergandhi64

The Book of Scrotum.
1) In the beginning there were stickmen and rainbow gradients. 2) The internet was empty, and full of nothingness. And ye, Tom looketh outeth uponeth witheth his almighty gaze unto the internet, which was full of nothingness and empty. 3) The Creator said, "Let there be flash." and behold they were. 4) So it was on the first day that flashes were created. 5) Seeing the games and videos in all there splender, Tom knew it was good. 6) Then on the second day, The Creator separated the firmament holding the flashes. 7) Seeing the flashes isolated and more popular, Tom knew it was good. 8) On the third day He created The Portal. 9) Seeing The Portal's swirling majesty, Tom knew it was good. 10) Then on the fourth day, The Creator noticed the portal needed flashes to populate it. 11) So in His devine wisdom The Portal was willed into connection with the internet. 12) Seeing the Portal ripe with activity, Tom knew it was good. 13) On the Fifth day, Celebrity Kill, Dressup, and Hentai games were created. 14) Seeing the influx of preteens, Tom knew it was good. 15) On the sixth Day, The Creator looked out upon His creation in all of it's splendor, and knew it was good. 16) He said, "let us create one in our own image, and make him like us." Then Tom gripped a handful of code and art from the soil and breathed into it, naming it Pico. 17) Tom then realized Pico would become lonely as the only one of his kind, so he willed Pico into a deep sleep. 18) From Pico, Tom created Nene. 19) He then said, "go now, be fruitful and multiply. But I have only one commandment, do not eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Cock Jokes." 20) Tom then looked out upon His entire creation, and kneweth that it was good. 21) The first flash heroes never felt anguish or misery in their primordial lives, always taken care of by the nature Tom had created. 22) Then one day, Nene was walking alone in the garden, when she came across a serpent who spoke to her, "Have some fruit from my tree." 23) Nene answered, "But this tree is forbidden by Tom. Tom says if we eat of this tree then we will die." The serpent rose and said, "Tom is only afraid that you will become like him, eat my fruit and you will not die I swear." 24) Nene then ate of the fruit of the Tree of The Knowledge of Cock Jokes, not dying she returned to Pico. 25) Being offered the fruit by Nene, Pico exclaimed, "What do you offer me woman? Tom commanded we not eat of this tree!" 26) Nene giggled, "Tom just doesn't want us to be like he is, but look at me Pico I am not dead." 27) Pico then ate of the tree's fruit. 28) Suddenly a heavenly voice could be heard throughout the garden. 29) It was Tom calling out to Pico and Nene, but they were ashamed, for they were naked. 30) Quickly they wove together fig branches and clothed themselves with leaves. 31) "Pico, where are you?". 32) Pico answered, "I am here my Lord." 33) "Why dost thee conceal thyself Pico?", inquired Tom. 34) "We heard you and hid ourselves," said Pico. 35) "Did you eat of the Tree of The Knowledge of Cock Jokes?" 36) Pico then exclaimed, "It was this woman you brought me lord. She told me to eat the fruit." Nene then exclaimed, "My lord the serpent told me." 37) Tom then hung his head in grief, feeling his heart broken. 38) The Creator then stated, "you will never be admitted entrance to the garden from this day. 39) You will be made part of a flash game and serve as the backbone for generations of games to come."

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
CresIsis
CresIsis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 04:53 AM Reply

At 3/31/13 04:48 AM, DarkMatter wrote: Newgrounds Genesis

Ingenious.

I remember the first time I read this and it was even better reading it this second time.

~Sweet memories of us I do recall~
~Dear angel please come back before I fall~

NewgroundsMike
NewgroundsMike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 09:52 AM Reply

At 3/31/13 12:47 AM, naronic wrote: If you think of events in the universe as happening chronologically with traditional logic you might run into this problem, but quantum mechanics offers a way out.

Aren't quantum mechanics a scientific explanation for ghosts? Or at least at that point I yelled "F*** YOU!!!" at physics.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace.
NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!
Click here if you want to be my dinner!

Yert
Yert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 10:53 AM Reply

At 3/31/13 10:30 AM, Rummy0 wrote: Give Yert his account back you disgusting freak.

i'll think about it

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Why something instead of nothing? Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 11:44 AM Reply

At 3/31/13 04:48 AM, DarkMatter wrote: The Book of Scrotum.

That was beautiful man.

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature