00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Forum Archive Idea

604 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Forum Archive Idea 2013-03-28 23:56:03

Ok, I had my eyes open a couple of days ago by a few members of the writing community. I had my mind so fixed on "PORTAL PORTAL PORTAL" that I didnt see something crucial. Having a writing portal is pointless if a post or submission will not be reviewed or even seen. There needs to be a sense of community between the writers and readers of the forum, even if we dont get a portal. What I thought of doing was creating a thread, and each post would have a link to a story someone has posted to the forum, or if they are like me, have uploaded to their profile. For you see, a writer can post a story, it never gets reviewed, slides of the first page, and no one ever sees it.

With this thread, it would create almost like an archive. If it is updated twice a week, the stories will be there for everyone to see even if they are completed or never finished. Any Newgrounds writer knows it is hard getting feedback on any story you post. Maybe this will help. KNOW THIS: If I do it, I will only post links to stories on the thread after I ask permission from the author and they agree.

Here is an example of how the post to the thread would look:

Title: Yadada
Author: BOOM
Link:----------------
Description: (up to author what it says or if there even is one)

Well, there is my idea in a nutshell. I want to apologize to any moderators I may have pissed off with my persistence lol.

Response to Forum Archive Idea 2013-03-29 11:33:27

I'll be willing to support this idea. Never know if you don't try, right?

Let me clarify some things - are you the sole de facto 'link poster' of the thread, or are authors allowed to post their own links themselves? Are there requirements for authors to meet in order to get their stories accepted into the archive? (word count max 10k, links must be on Newgrounds, etc) Things like this could get disorganised really fast.

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Archive Idea 2013-03-29 12:38:58

At 3/29/13 11:33 AM, tinytim12 wrote: I'll be willing to support this idea. Never know if you don't try, right?

Let me clarify some things - are you the sole de facto 'link poster' of the thread, or are authors allowed to post their own links themselves? Are there requirements for authors to meet in order to get their stories accepted into the archive? (word count max 10k, links must be on Newgrounds, etc) Things like this could get disorganised really fast.

Thank you for bringing that up, that was something I forgot to mention that. Starting out, it will probably be just one person adding post, either me or a moderator if they think it is better for them to control it. The concept of the archive would that a reader would ask permission, then post it. The only thing if authors post them, I am worried that they would write just to be on the archive and not for the forum. So word count would depend on the authors post, but it would not be like a paragraph long story. The archive would only be taking forum post.

Let me give a run through of how I thought is would start out: You would have one or two readers. They would read stories posted. If the story has a body, plot, and quality they would ask the author if they can post a link to it on the thread. Some authors could request to be on it, but I dont think that will start happening till it the thread got older.

It will start off very simple, and I dont see it gaining a lot of speed off the bat.

Response to Forum Archive Idea 2013-03-29 15:23:10

Response to Forum Archive Idea 2013-03-29 15:33:13

At 3/29/13 03:23 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: http://lit101.newgrounds.com

So as not to be entirely oblique, the purpose of linking to that user profile was to point out that something like this has been started. A userpage would have infinitely more flexibility over a thread. A couple people have access to it at the moment. If you want to take up the project, I'd recommend reading:

Regarding Critiquing on this forum
Discussion: Location, Expectations,

The purpose of the userpage is to create a sort of Survival Guide for the forum, teach people how to get the best out of what's being done here. If you want to take up the mantle of that project, let it be known and I'm sure the credentials will find their way to your inbox. Just be prepared. It's a lot of work.

Response to Forum Archive Idea 2013-03-29 16:00:05

Thank you for the resources:) If I start anything, it is going to be after I am prepared.

Response to Forum Archive Idea 2013-03-30 00:09:36

Well, whatever you guys decide to do, count me in. If you ever need any extra manpower, I'll happily do the job.

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum Archive Idea 2013-04-01 00:10:10

Reading over resources, talking to a few people, and planning some things out. Should be able to have something to put together by the end of this week or the weekend.