00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mirenamak just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Draw Your Summer Collab

7,201 Views | 53 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-27 10:12:08

Hello fellow Newgrounds art forum regulars.

It's been a while since I've seen a collab in here that has really sparked the imagination of a good portion of us. Hopefully I will correct this now *finger crossed*.

The Idea

The basic point is to draw what you will be spending your summer doing. It obviously doesn't have to be what you're really doing. If you want to draw yourself on a beach yet you have no plans to travel that's cool (I could imagine some idiot would have asked). Ity could even be a memory you have of one summer, anything really as long as it screams summer.

The Rules

- Artwork must be 550px wide by 350px tall.
- All pieces need to be original and not stolen (obviously)
- I'd quite like this collab to be no higher rating then teen, so please keep this in mind.
- If you want your piece to be an animated that's fine, as long as it doesn't break the rules.
- All artworks will be accepted or turned down by me. If I think it's bad or needs improvement then it's not in, sorry.
- The Deadline will be some time in the summer, for now I'd say mid june.

If anybody wants to help with putting this together please get hold of me. we've got the time so I want lots of added little extras, a few songs to pick from in the background for example. Help is always appreciated.

Let's have fun with this one guys and can't wait to see what is produced.
Let it begin, here comes the sun!

Here's just a little something that I have throw together, maybe the starts of some menu art, I don't know.

Draw Your Summer Collab

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-27 10:44:22

ooo i like this. well im gonna be working a whooooole bunch during summer, and i work at CEC as the mascot*spoilers kids, chuck e. isnt real*, so i may draw somethin related to that

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-27 13:54:05

At 3/27/13 10:44 AM, Jugg4n4ut wrote: ooo i like this. well im gonna be working a whooooole bunch during summer, and i work at CEC as the mascot*spoilers kids, chuck e. isnt real*, so i may draw somethin related to that

That sounds like a really interesting idea for a piece. Maybe some comedy in there with a few people throwing stuff or a slippy floor, classic.

At 3/27/13 10:48 AM, Amaranthus wrote: is line-art allowed?

If it's good I see no reason why not

and am I allowed?

Same answer as above.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-28 04:00:12

Anybody else wanna join? You know you wanna share a summery experience with the rest of us through a drawing.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-28 06:34:18

At 3/28/13 06:06 AM, Amaranthus wrote: sadface.jpg

Well, that doesn't scream summer or effort. If that was a genuine attempt I'm afraid it's not in. If it was just a sketch that you are dumping here please refrain from doing so.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-28 07:00:52

At 3/28/13 06:35 AM, Amaranthus wrote: Yeah, can you make the size requirement a bit bigger?
Kinda sucks putting detail into something that small, (at least with the program I'm using.)
I could do better, but not in that size. (Yeah, i'll draw something else)

I really fail to see how the size requierments have led you to create that!? Dude if I had given you the side of a skyscraper that drawing would still be crap. The size stays the same, this way there can be a boarder for the whole collab, excluding the menu, not too sure.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-28 08:19:40

Sounds like fun, I'll join in! Plenty of time before deadline too. :)

At 3/28/13 07:02 AM, Amaranthus wrote: I'll try again now.

You don't need to actually draw it that size, just resize it after you're done, or zoom in while drawing. :P

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-28 08:42:39

Yeah sure i can probably throw something together for this.

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-28 15:57:40

At 3/28/13 08:19 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Sounds like fun, I'll join in! Plenty of time before deadline too. :)

Yeah, I was thinking with a good lengh of time we could add lots of little extras, easter eggs maybe a mini game, medals etc. So if anybody has any ideas or wants to help they can and have the time. I'm not a programmer.

At 3/28/13 08:42 AM, ornery wrote: Yeah sure i can probably throw something together for this.

Good to have you on board.

Best get to making my piece.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-28 16:02:11

At 3/28/13 03:57 PM, Decky wrote: Yeah, I was thinking with a good lengh of time we could add lots of little extras, easter eggs maybe a mini game, medals etc. So if anybody has any ideas or wants to help they can and have the time. I'm not a programmer.

I'd be happy to help out with medals/easter eggs if I have some extra time later on. As for a minigame, how about a memory game featuring the included artworks, alternatively artist user icons?

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-28 16:08:31

At 3/28/13 04:02 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: I'd be happy to help out with medals/easter eggs if I have some extra time later on.

That'd be a great help man.

As for a minigame, how about a memory game featuring the included artworks, alternatively artist user icons?

The memory game sounds like it could work, we'd have to think about it more later, long time to do all of this, for now I think art works are the things to start getting. Once there's a few of them in we'll think of extras again.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-28 22:05:46

Here's my contribution for this collab, in or out?

Draw Your Summer Collab

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-29 03:41:51

At 3/28/13 10:05 PM, Mabelma wrote: Here's my contribution for this collab, in or out?

It's good man though I'm worried that you can't see anything summer thrown in there. Maybe if you changed the background to a sunny park or beach scene then it'd be better. Also, my fault for not saying this earlier, but there will be a display below each image that'll state the artists name, so no need to sign it.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-29 15:35:20

I should be able to do something in the next few weeks :)

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-30 06:35:37

At 3/29/13 03:35 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: I should be able to do something in the next few weeks :)

The more the merrier. Feel free to post WIPs or whatever, wanna keep the thread alive whilst we are creating.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-30 09:21:19

At 3/29/13 03:41 AM, Decky wrote:
At 3/28/13 10:05 PM, Mabelma wrote: Here's my contribution for this collab, in or out?
It's good man though I'm worried that you can't see anything summer thrown in there. Maybe if you changed the background to a sunny park or beach scene then it'd be better. Also, my fault for not saying this earlier, but there will be a display below each image that'll state the artists name, so no need to sign it.

Well it's ultimately your decision when it's accepted, but I gotta note that it wouldn't make much sense if he meditated while floating in a park or on a beach. Medititating + all those stuff flying around him is kinda a psychedelic thing referencing the "Summer of Love" era. So with that in mind, maybe it would be sufficient if the background had a more "summer-like" color scheme (warm colors; like reds, oranges and yellows) to bring the idea across? I'm just thinking loud here. Of course it would be good to hear what Mabelma thinks, too.

By the way, I hope I can come up with something and join in.

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-30 12:32:55

At 3/30/13 09:21 AM, Luwano wrote: Well it's ultimately your decision when it's accepted, but I gotta note that it wouldn't make much sense if he meditated while floating in a park or on a beach.

Yeah, I've been thinking since I posted that that I was probably wrong with what I suggested.

Medititating + all those stuff flying around him is kinda a psychedelic thing referencing the "Summer of Love" era.

Didn't get that reference until you said that but now it seems so obvious.

So with that in mind, maybe it would be sufficient if the background had a more "summer-like" color scheme (warm colors; like reds, oranges and yellows) to bring the idea across?

Better then my suggests, It's growing on me as a piece so I'll leave it up to @Mabelma if he wants to change it, if not I'll say it's in.

By the way I've desided that with the new project system I'll be adding members to the project when they get their first piece in. So Mabelma will be getting the first invite shortly.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-31 03:23:41

Oh cool, this seems really fun. I may just join! Should I just send you the finished art piece in your PM inbox when I'm done or on this forum? Email? Hahah.

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-31 06:20:03

At 3/31/13 03:23 AM, Theheatisrushing wrote: Should I just send you the finished art piece in your PM inbox when I'm done or on this forum? Email? Hahah.

Posting it here is probably the best way as you can get some feedback from me and the other art forum users.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-31 11:40:09

Luwano got the reference completely. And personally I kinda like how it came out, and I think it does a good job at referencing the Summer of Love era, so I'm just going to leave it as it is and maybe work on a new piece that's a little more summery. Thanks for letting me in on the collab, glad you all like the piece.

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-31 13:23:27

At 3/31/13 11:40 AM, Mabelma wrote: Luwano got the reference completely. And personally I kinda like how it came out, and I think it does a good job at referencing the Summer of Love era, so I'm just going to leave it as it is and maybe work on a new piece that's a little more summery. Thanks for letting me in on the collab, glad you all like the piece.

Personally I think a touch of colour to the background wouldn't hurt, because the dark colours aren't as summery as say maybe some yellows or purples.

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-31 15:14:27

At 3/31/13 01:23 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Personally I think a touch of colour to the background wouldn't hurt, because the dark colours aren't as summery as say maybe some yellows or purples.

Seems to be too much controversy with my piece so how's this?

Draw Your Summer Collab

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-31 16:15:23

At 3/31/13 03:14 PM, Mabelma wrote: Seems to be too much controversy with my piece so how's this?

That looks a lot better now.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-31 16:36:04

At 3/31/13 04:15 PM, Decky wrote:
At 3/31/13 03:14 PM, Mabelma wrote: Seems to be too much controversy with my piece so how's this?
That looks a lot better now.

Great, use that one instead then :)

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-31 18:54:33

Now the psychedelic love is flowing :D

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-03-31 23:51:36

I like it so much, very good job

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-04-01 09:38:06

I just noticed that we are the current hot topic of the art forum. Lets keep this pace up guys and get some summery lovin' in the forums (even if it is freezing where I am currently).

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-04-01 12:19:48

do you have a specific deadline yet? its autumn here so its hard to keep track of you summer

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-04-01 15:49:30

At 4/1/13 12:19 PM, kakalxlax wrote: do you have a specific deadline yet? its autumn here so its hard to keep track of you summer

Nothing to specific but I want it to be released at some point in mid june so I'd say early june should be the deadline for art submissions. Hope that helps :).

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Draw Your Summer Collab 2013-04-01 16:03:08

At 4/1/13 03:49 PM, Decky wrote:
At 4/1/13 12:19 PM, kakalxlax wrote: do you have a specific deadline yet? its autumn here so its hard to keep track of you summer
Nothing to specific but I want it to be released at some point in mid june so I'd say early june should be the deadline for art submissions. Hope that helps :).

ok thanks, ill start something this week

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.