Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 07:08:29 Reply

Beyond The Black Rainbow

A strange little Canadian film starring unknowns Michael Rogers (as a crazy Carl Sagan lookalike (and later Maynard when he goes bald) Barry Nyle) and Eva Allan (Elena, who reminds of River Tam from Firefly at times). This movie looks like a 70's film but takes place in the 80's and came out in 2010 in Canada (although it goes into slasher film territory near the end). Now i know not everyone will like this movie. It does have negative reviews like nothing else but i'm here to ask exactly why that is. There's worse films. Far worse. I can maybe understand that the visuals are too bright and the film is really quite odd and incomprehensible at times but art films aren't always meant to be straight-forward. David Lynch's films in particular are really quite hard to understand, Inland Empire, Mullholland Drive and the like.

Even still i will defend this movie. Cause i, like the title suggests, find it criminally underrated.

You fucking people make me sick Chat:http://tlk.io/newgrounds "The big bang theory is top notch anime"-Amaranthus.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 07:17:58 Reply

Aachi wa Ssipak
Dark City
Fantastic Planet
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
the Man from Nowhere
the Raid: Redemption
Tekkon Kinkreet
Undisputed 2
Undisputed 3

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 07:20:30 Reply

The Final Sacrifice

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 07:32:03 Reply

Mulholland Drive was a terrible movie. There's no meaning to be found. it's just random, meaningless bullshit that's just weird for the sake of it. Blue Velvet and Eraserhead were alright, though. bugged out stuff.

At 3/27/13 07:20 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: The Final Sacrifice

Rowsdower!

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 07:48:11 Reply

At 3/27/13 07:17 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: the Raid: Redemption

Isn't that one a bit over-rated? Everyone keeps saying it's the best, most intense, most brutal, most awesome action movie ever made. I liked it, but it's far from the best there's been. I'd swap that with Hard Boiled since barely anybody I know has heard of the latter. Now that was intense.

As for a few others I can think of...

Return of the Killer Tomatoes
Inception (why isn't it #1 on IMDB's Top 250 already?)
Max Payne
SALT

thatkidkenji
thatkidkenji
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 07:49:02 Reply

You're confusing underrated with underexposed.
No one has even seen that film.

A textcee without boundaries.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 07:56:19 Reply

At 3/27/13 07:48 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Isn't that one a bit over-rated?

I don't know anyone who has even heard of it. Hard Boiled is a cult classic and one of the most influential action films ever made.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 08:07:25 Reply

At 3/27/13 07:56 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't know anyone who has even heard of it. Hard Boiled is a cult classic and one of the most influential action films ever made.

Hey, you know about it! :D I suppose people who aren't very familiar with Asian movies don't know either, but it seems to me like the new generation that is accustomed to Asian cinema (naturally linked to anime and all that) still miss out on all theclassics, John Woo's old movies, the Jackie Chan - Samu Hung - Yuao Bien trio, Shawn Brothers etc. But maybe those are also just underexposed, not really underrated..

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 09:50:41 Reply

I think Vanilla Sky deserved a bit more praise than it got.

I know Tom Cruise isn't the most brilliant actor and I know they screwed up at the ending by explaining every little thing that happened, but the film was pretty good overall in my opinion.

At 3/27/13 07:32 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Mulholland Drive was a terrible movie. There's no meaning to be found. it's just random, meaningless bullshit that's just weird for the sake of it.

Agreed.

To me, the film felt just like one of those abstract pieces of art where the artist created something without any idea and then wants the beholder to make something out of it. Some may like that approach, but it often leaves me unsatisfied.

Furthermore, from what I read about the film, I really think it was just David Lynch trying to mess with the viewers and nothing more than that.

At 3/27/13 07:56 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Isn't that one a bit over-rated?
I don't know anyone who has even heard of it.

I watched it somewhere last year. What I didn't like about it was that the film felt like a 100 minutes long action sequence without much of a plot or anything.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod] Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 10:15:07 Reply

At 3/27/13 09:50 AM, Auz wrote: I watched it somewhere last year. What I didn't like about it was that the film felt like a 100 minutes long action sequence without much of a plot or anything.

Isn't that great though? It just kept going, rarely slowing down, just a long fight without filler. :) I wonder if the new Dredd movie was inspired by this one btw, it's similar in many ways though the style of action is based more on fire-arms than hand-to-hand combat. Have you seen Hard Boiled btw?

triplenoob
triplenoob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 10:24:30 Reply

Inception (why isn't it #1 on IMDB's Top 250 already?)

Because it's hard to dethrone a movie that's been in that spot for the last 13 years. Yes, I'm talking about Shawshank Redemption. But you're fucking high for even thinking Inception is underrated in any way. If anything, it's overrated for getting so much praise. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, but it's just not #1 material.

Anyway, my underrated movie is probably Dial M for Murder.

[My Art] Sig made by me PM me if you want one just as sexy, or request one here

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 10:34:15 Reply

At 3/27/13 10:24 AM, triplenoob wrote: Because it's hard to dethrone a movie that's been in that spot for the last 13 years. Yes, I'm talking about Shawshank Redemption. But you're fucking high for even thinking Inception is underrated in any way. If anything, it's overrated for getting so much praise. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, but it's just not #1 material.

Out of all the movies I've watched so far (including at least half of the ones in the Top 250), Inception is the only one that struck me as perfect. There was just nothing out of place, not plotwise, nor in any other aspect of the making. Everything looked great. The actors synced, the effects looked real, the script seemed to naturally weave in all the questions you might wonder when watching, and the music... that's probably one of my favorite soundtracks as well. Even the fight in the tumbling-gravity looks real (which, coincidentally was filmed in a rotating room, I realized later). It's not a first impression either, I watched the movie shortly after it came out and my aw is lasting. There are plenty of great movies, but they all seem to err in some aspect. With this one, I haven't found that yet. If you could fill in the #1 spot with any title, which would it be? Which movie deserves it better than this one?

Hope ^ doesn't sound like fanaticism, hah, I would be surprised if it really reached the top of the list, people have different tastes and views after all, but IMO it does deserve it.

triplenoob
triplenoob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 10:44:49 Reply

At 3/27/13 10:34 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:

There are plenty of great movies, but they all seem to err in some aspect. With this one, I haven't found that yet. If you could fill in the #1 spot with any title, which would it be? Which movie deserves it better than this one?

Hope ^ doesn't sound like fanaticism, hah, I would be surprised if it really reached the top of the list, people have different tastes and views after all, but IMO it does deserve it.

Fair enough. But you didn't need to explain to me why the movie is great because I know. I am a movie fanatic. I've watched every movie above 7,5 on IMDb and am currently working my down the ladder even further. I have seen most relevant movies of the last 100 years. I'm not bragging on anything, but my favorite director is by far Quentin Tarantino. And my favorite movie of his (which is also my favorite movie of all time) is Pulp Fiction, as you can guess with my banner down there. It's just such a fun movie to watch, that I can't begin to explain why I even like it in the first place. A close second would also be The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, and probably a little Fight Club if all else fails.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 11:44:39 Reply

At 3/27/13 10:44 AM, triplenoob wrote: And my favorite movie of his (which is also my favorite movie of all time) is Pulp Fiction, as you can guess with my banner down there. It's just such a fun movie to watch, that I can't begin to explain why I even like it in the first place. A close second would also be The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, and probably a little Fight Club if all else fails.

That was definitely a great movie. As for reasons I'd place it below Inception, I guess it would primarily be how random it was. Inception has a script that doesn't leave much to chance, whereas Pulp Fiction pretty much leaves everything to chance. Granted, that's also one of the strong aspects of the movie, that you constantly get surprised, but it's not a continual experience that way. Or maybe that's not it, IDK, Tarantino is one of my favorite directors too, along with Luc Besson, John Woo, Jackie Chan & Nolan. Have you seen The Good, the bad and the Weird? Much better than the original. ;)

triplenoob
triplenoob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 12:15:54 Reply

At 3/27/13 11:44 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Have you seen The Good, the bad and the Weird? Much better than the original. ;)

Very sorry, but I hate you for saying that. It was simply horrible. This statement alone proves to me that you don't know anything about what a good movie is, basically rendering your opinion worthless to my attention.

Your underrated films?

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 12:21:14 Reply

Pan's Labyrinth.
Yes it is in Spanish, that adds more to the atmosphere so live with reading subtitles to enjoy a brilliant movie.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship. Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 12:23:27 Reply

At 3/27/13 12:15 PM, triplenoob wrote: Very sorry, but I hate you for saying that. It was simply horrible. This statement alone proves to me that you don't know anything about what a good movie is, basically rendering your opinion worthless to my attention.

That bad, huh. :D Do you watch a lot of Asian movies btw?

FrozenFire
FrozenFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Game Developer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 12:25:06 Reply

Die Hard 5

How can anyone not like the daddy issues theme while within a toxic radioactive wasteland that is seemingly lined to the brim with explosives?

Seriously though "The Game" with Michael Douglas was pretty good I'm not sure how rated it was upon release though.
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 13:07:49 Reply

At 3/27/13 11:44 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Have you seen The Good, the bad and the Weird?

awesome movie

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 13:16:42 Reply

At 3/27/13 12:25 PM, FrozenFire wrote: How can anyone not like the daddy issues theme while within a toxic radioactive wasteland that is seemingly lined to the brim with explosives?

It's nu-understandable! Great movie, just like all the others in that series.

At 3/27/13 01:07 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: awesome movie

Glad to hear it

triplenoob
triplenoob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 14:29:48 Reply

At 3/27/13 12:23 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/27/13 12:15 PM, triplenoob wrote: Very sorry, but I hate you for saying that. It was simply horrible. This statement alone proves to me that you don't know anything about what a good movie is, basically rendering your opinion worthless to my attention.

I saw a lot of John Woo movies, and I can remember Oldboy being pretty freaking awesome. I saw a bunch of asian movies, most of them are great, but some others... not so much. Off the top of my head, I can't really say... I like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, too.

BBS Signature
triplenoob
triplenoob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 14:32:05 Reply

At 3/27/13 12:23 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:

And I'm awfully sorry, I didn't mean what I said back there, I really hated The good, the bad and the weird is all...

BBS Signature
CresIsis
CresIsis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 14:33:18 Reply

Faces of Death
Traces of Death
Banned from Television

~Sweet memories of us I do recall~ ~Dear angel please come back before I fall~

T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 14:49:48 Reply

I made this thread before

My underrated film is Safety Not Guaranteed.

T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 14:56:50 Reply

At 3/27/13 02:49 PM, T3XT wrote: I made this thread before

My underrated film is Safety Not Guaranteed.

Also, Jackie Brown.

Probably Quentin Tarantino's least-known movie.

joe-mayson
joe-mayson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Movie Buff
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 15:05:56 Reply

K-pax

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 15:07:58 Reply

Krull.

It's mostly remembered for being a cheesy 1980's fantasy flop, but I love it.

Your underrated films?

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 15:13:51 Reply

At 3/27/13 03:07 PM, Darthdenim wrote: Krull.

It's mostly remembered for being a cheesy 1980's fantasy flop, but I love it.

I grew up with that movie. I've been watching it since before I can even remember. I have it on my hard drive now and still watch it all the time. I grew up with a lot of epic fantasy adventure movies like Krull, Clash of the Titans, Flash Gordon, Jason and the Argonauts, Jack the Giant Killer, the Sinbad movies, etc.

BBS Signature
Grotty
Grotty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Writer
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 15:15:26 Reply

Dark Floors, that movie with Lordi in it. I fucking love it. You should too.

Protect the Muska.

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Your underrated films? 2013-03-27 15:16:28 Reply

An underrated comedy is Freaked.

This movie is fucking hilarious.

I can't stress it enough. SEE.THIS.MOVIE.

Your underrated films?