New Topic Respond to this Topic
Axel7
Axel7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
I wants Vortex Involute like Drums! 2013-03-26 15:31:42 Reply

I've been trying to create DnB drums similar to vortexx Involute's song "Yana Kay - Sun (Vortex Involute remix)" ...and I tried looking up tutorials but they don't appear in any tutorials...guess they mgiht not be famous enough, if anyone knows an artist that makes drums similar and has aaaa tutorial videos, plz send it me waaay!

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to I wants Vortex Involute like Drums! 2013-03-26 19:14:58 Reply

sounds like it went through a high pass filter
idk i'm shooting in the dark here

Axel7
Axel7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to I wants Vortex Involute like Drums! 2013-03-26 19:35:55 Reply

At 3/26/13 07:14 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: sounds like it went through a high pass filter
idk i'm shooting in the dark here

actually, not bad, I'll try that one ttoo...but then again I forgot I could just slow it right the hell down using firtual dj and really listen to what happened there XD

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to I wants Vortex Involute like Drums! 2013-03-26 19:38:57 Reply

The Amen Break

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to I wants Vortex Involute like Drums! 2013-03-26 19:55:24 Reply

Look into a few dance genres from the 90's/early millennium. Jungle, IDM, DarkStep, Nuero, liquid. Those are all DNB genre off shoots and forerunners so you'll notice some similarities to the example you offered up. In regards to that dark heavy DNB vibe you'll want to look into artists like Spor, Evol Intent, Dieselboy, Noisia... if you want more experimental dnb sounds then hit up The Flashbulb, Aphex Twin, or Squarepusher. Dunno, just a few ideas. These are by no means guaranteed to be what your looking for but with any luck you'll find some inspiration.

As for writing better drum rhythms, do it all by ear. It's how I started around 10 years ago. You can take lessons or have someone explain it all to you but I think you'll have more fun just fucking around with the tech. You can also try learning drum sheet music and just start ripping rhythms from places you enjoy. No one will ever get mad at you for "stealing a drum rhythm" and if they do, tell them that Quarl said to go suck a fat dick chode.

If you're just starting and you want to hit that hard DNB sound it will take a few years to hone your skills and knowledge but you should feel free to hit me up if you ever want my advice.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to I wants Vortex Involute like Drums! 2013-03-26 20:26:06 Reply

yea its just the amen break cut up and rearranged.