Spacefish
Spacefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 00:08:34 Reply

Hey guys,

I had a cool question that I'm sure has been asked many times, but didn't see it come up anywhere recently in this specific forum. I was wondering for those that adore video game music; which soundtracks have been most influential on your style or taste in music? Why, and what do you admire about the particular soundtrack in question?

For me personally, I absolutely adore the Cave Story soundtrack. Not only was the whole soundtrack written and produced by one man originally, he actually made the whole game himself from scratch over the course of 8-10 years. I don't know about you, but the unbelievable amount of patience and dedication is truly staggering, and I admire him greatly for what he's done.

The soundtrack covers many different genres of music, and is predominantly done in the chiptune style. I'm not sure if his focus was the 8 or 16 bit style of music, but he definitely draws influences from many different places. One track in particular, Geothermal, really shows his creativity and understanding of dynamics with the sudden shifts of volume and spacing with the percussion track. Truly amazing.

Now that I've shared, I'd love to hear some of your influences in your writing!!

P.S. Hopefully I didn't the HTML right, it's literally been years since I've posted.

TheyCallMeCaudex
TheyCallMeCaudex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 00:39:13 Reply

Hands down Kya: Dark Lineage! Best soundtrack for a game ever!

Reality is a sandwich I did not order.

TheyCallMeCaudex
TheyCallMeCaudex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 00:45:47 Reply

At 3/26/13 12:39 AM, TheyCallMeCaudex wrote: Hands down Kya: Dark Lineage! Best soundtrack for a game ever!

I mean, that is, after considering all of the classics like Zelda, Final fantasy, and Mario.

Also Kingdom Hearts, I really loved Kingdom Hearts. But damn, I still have the Traverse Town song stuck in my head!

Reality is a sandwich I did not order.

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 05:21:28 Reply

I try not to be too much influenced by other music, and just do my own thing. But when I'm influenced, I take small things from a whole lot of different sources, so no one can tell where I got my inspiration. I've listened to much video game music in my life. Perhaps that influenced me slightly more than other music I listen to. I guess the most influential soundtracks for me are Super Castlevania IV and Seiken Densetu II. Nice compact soundtracks from the time I enjoyed videogames best. Lots of interesting stuff going on there.

BBS Signature
Genclops
Genclops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 08:08:13 Reply

At 3/26/13 05:21 AM, SourJovis wrote: I try not to be too much influenced by other music, and just do my own thing.

Literally impossible.

For me its definitely anything Nobou Uematsu. Final Fantasy IV (II for snes at the time) may have to take the cake because I played it so much as a child - but I remember of course spending many hours with VII and IX as well.
Now if the subject is more "what is a really great game soundtrack" rather than "what influenced you the most" that is a whole different subject/rant.

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 08:56:07 Reply

Including film soundtracks:

Terminator soundtrack - done on a small budget in MONO! and yet even today is one of the most incredible pieces of work done by a film composer in my opinion.
Legend Of Ashitaka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XOV2L-eM38 in Princess Mononoke. My favourite piece of "scored" soundtrack ever.
Worms theme by Bjorn Lynne
Sonic. All of Sonic.
Final Fantasy X - Sudeki Da Ne
Castlevania - it always has at least one "Great" track and many good ones.
The flash game "Starwish", Starwish OST - 01 Sky Fish (by Wohali) influenced my electronica style directly, if only a little.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 09:58:04 Reply

At 3/26/13 08:08 AM, Genclops wrote: Literally impossible.

There is a balance I suppose. The basic things in music have already been done, yet will reappear all the time anyway, simply because they sound pleasant. (4/4 measure, melodic minor scale, standard instruments like piano, guitar, drums, etc.) Sometimes you hear something unique, and you're like I want to do something like that too. Often you like to do something that's somewhat refreshing, or perhaps even completely unique.

For me its definitely anything Nobou Uematsu.

I like his work, though I wouldn't say I'm influenced by him much.

Now if the subject is more "what is a really great game soundtrack" rather than "what influenced you the most" that is a whole different subject/rant.

Unless the soundtrack you liked best has influenced you most, which isn't unthinkable. People try to make music they like.

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 10:33:22 Reply

At 3/26/13 08:56 AM, MetalRenard wrote: Worms theme by Bjorn Lynne

Wow, I thought I was the only one who thought that track was awesome. So much nostalgia.

Link to it for reference.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 11:59:31 Reply

Definitely a lot of Koji Kondos work. He is Nintendos composer and writes just incredible music. From the mario games to zelda, I can't find a bigger influence. Also Grant Kirkhope is a another one too. He was the composer for Rareware, I'm not sure if he did the original donkey kong country games but I know he did the banjo kazooie and donkey kong 64 games for Nintendo 64. But most recently, I have been inspired by Koji Kondo with Super Mario Galaxy, if you are a fan of orchestral music, then Super Mario Galaxy is incredible. Also the soundtrack for Sonic Colors is incredible, they really break away from the typical heavy rock sound you get from sonic games and it goes Orchestral and Piano based a lot of the time. It really is incredible :) I am greatly inspired by those at least.

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 12:20:05 Reply

Aside from many of the ones that have already been mentioned I'll add the soundtrack from Rogue Galaxy. It's not only a great game but the OST is also very memorable. I found myself sometimes humming the tunes while playing the game or going back to hear them again once I was finished.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 12:20:37 Reply

We do have a club thread dedicates for just video game music.

Anyway, I think probably my most influential games soundtracks are Cybernoid 2 and Turrican. I love the chords they used. All the arrangements were splendid. Especially Cybernoid series, their music influences my style later on.

A bit more 'modern' soundtrack is Assassin's Creed 2. The contemporary music is amazing. They are influenced on my orchestra works.

Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 14:37:25 Reply

A lot of what I write is influenced by soundtracks like echochrome(if you don't know this game, LOOK IT UP) Pokemon, and Shadow of the Colossus. Those soundtracks have given me so much greatness to listen to and so much variety I've like 15 or so WIPs that were influenced/derived from those games.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 14:37:45 Reply

At 3/26/13 08:56 AM, MetalRenard wrote: Including film soundtracks:

Terminator soundtrack - done on a small budget in MONO! and yet even today is one of the most incredible pieces of work done by a film composer in my opinion.

If you mean The Terminator by Brad Fiedel. That's definetly not in mono. You can hear the drums go left to right as well as synth effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68I3j2luW64

=P

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 14:40:42 Reply

May I add the Monster Hunter Tri soundtrack. I love the game and I love the music in it.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 14:46:01 Reply

Russell Brower is the man. Basically scuplted the music for all the Blizzard games. It's also some of the best orchestration and production out there for game music.

Any songwriter could learn a thing or two from that guys soundtracks.

Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 15:27:39 Reply

Probably every single track which is played in Metroid Prime 1. Even the Theme for it is absuredly bad-ass.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 15:28:28 Reply

I draw almost all of my inspiration and influences from game music so there are almost too many soundtracks and composers for me to name. Koji Kondo's work has really inspired and influenced me in various ways, especially his earlier works in Super Mario RPG, A Link to the Past, and Yoshi's Island. All of his work is absolutely golden though.

Graeme Norgate's work has also been something I've always admired as well, specifically the Timesplitters Future Perfect soundtrack. Then there's Nobuo Uematsu and Final Fantasy, Kumi Tanioka again with Final Fantasy, Danny Baranowsky with Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac, C418 with Minecraft, and...I'm going to stop here because I could go on for hours. All of the soundtracks these composers have worked on are all fantastic and have helped shape my own style in many ways.

However, the most influential soundtrack for me would have to be Motoi Sakuraba's work on the Baten Kaitos Origins soundtrack...the man is simply a genius and the soundtrack is stunningly beautiful. A masterpiece in my mind.

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:
[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 16:01:11 Reply

At 3/26/13 02:37 PM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 3/26/13 08:56 AM, MetalRenard wrote: Including film soundtracks:

If you mean The Terminator by Brad Fiedel. That's definetly not in mono. You can hear the drums go left to right as well as synth effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68I3j2luW64

=P

Nah, the original composition was in mono. :) I watched the DVD extras on the special collector edition and they said it on there. The stereo version is remastered.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 16:04:40 Reply

...Brave Fencer Musashi...

BBS Signature
Mawnz
Mawnz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 16:16:30 Reply

Yoko Shimomura, Grant Kirkhope, Nobou Uematsu and Koji Kondo probably.
Would like to add Takeshi Abo as well.

wat

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 16:17:20 Reply

At 3/26/13 11:59 AM, stunkel wrote: Also Grant Kirkhope is a another one too. He was the composer for Rareware, I'm not sure if he did the original donkey kong country games but I know he did the banjo kazooie and donkey kong 64 games for Nintendo 64.

The soundtracks for Donkey Kong Country 1-3 were composed by David (Dave) Wise. You can download them for free from Dave Wise's last.fm page.
Good stuff. In terms of pure sound quality, they're probably the best soundtracks made for the snes.

You can also download the soundtrack from World of Goo by Kyle Gabler for free. At his own official site.
I like the world of Goo Soundtrack. It has a sort of artistic quality to it, that you don't find in many more commercial games.

ps when I say free download, I mean legally free. No pirated torrents or whatever.

BBS Signature
Mawnz
Mawnz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 16:24:17 Reply

However for special game soundtracks I'd say the Metroid Prime series has some really good tracks even though I haven't really done aything inspired by them yet. Kingdom Hearts, Zelda- and Mario series. The Romancing SaGa series as well even though I haven't played them. Same goes for Touhou.
Chrono Trigger. I mainly get inspired by individual songs, and some times those songs are from games I either haven't played or haven't even heard of before.

wat

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 20:02:19 Reply

Shinji Hosoe is a big one for me, as well as Yousike Yasui (kinda "new" in the scene compared to most of my other favorites, but his work is just mind blowing), and probably one of the biggest would also have to be Jerry Martin, specifically his work on the sims games really influenced me.

Antaeus2
Antaeus2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 23:12:48 Reply

At 3/26/13 12:08 AM, Spacefish wrote: Hey guys,

I had a cool question that I'm sure has been asked many times, but didn't see it come up anywhere recently in this specific forum. I was wondering for those that adore video game music; which soundtracks have been most influential on your style or taste in music? Why, and what do you admire about the particular soundtrack in question?

For me personally, I absolutely adore the Cave Story soundtrack. Not only was the whole soundtrack written and produced by one man originally, he actually made the whole game himself from scratch over the course of 8-10 years. I don't know about you, but the unbelievable amount of patience and dedication is truly staggering, and I admire him greatly for what he's done.

The soundtrack covers many different genres of music, and is predominantly done in the chiptune style. I'm not sure if his focus was the 8 or 16 bit style of music, but he definitely draws influences from many different places. One track in particular, Geothermal, really shows his creativity and understanding of dynamics with the sudden shifts of volume and spacing with the percussion track. Truly amazing.

Now that I've shared, I'd love to hear some of your influences in your writing!!

P.S. Hopefully I didn't the HTML right, it's literally been years since I've posted.

Man...where do I start!!

Well I grew up playing sega genesis as a kid, and I remember loving the music from Sonic the Hedgehog(1,2,3, and Knuckles), Road Rash(1,2, and 3), Shinobi 3, and more.

By the time I got to playstation I enjoyed Spyro the Dragon, Red Asphalt, and Tekken 1 and 2.

After a while I found out you could find other VGM soundtracks online, so I started looking for video games solely for the music, not really playing the games. Some of the composers who literally changed my life are: Masashi Hamauzu(Saga Frontier 2, Sigma Harmonics, FFXIII/XIII-2), Junya Nakano(Dew Prism), Tim Follin(Ecco the Dolphin), Panzer Dragoon ORTA and ZWEI to name a few..

The thing these composers and albums have in common are the wide range in styles, as well as pleasing chords progressions. And to this day, I have never heard a soundtrack capture the essence of what it was trying to portray better than Tim Follin's Ecco the Dolphin. It's almost too beautiful for words. You can really see yourself in the ocean..

Spacefish
Spacefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 23:19:38 Reply

Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone! I'll be sure to check out at least a few these links. I have a lot of the same interests in composers listed above, and if you can't jam to Chemical Plant's music, I don't know what's wrong with you.

Deflektor
Deflektor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 23:31:38 Reply

As many people here, video games music is great source of inspiration for me. But not only.
There are also some other music composers i take some inspiration of, such as Mike Oldfield or Yasuharu Takanashi.
However, when composing, i seem to be inspired by just one piece. The kind of piece i fell in love with.

BBS Signature
Deflektor
Deflektor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-26 23:34:46 Reply

At 3/26/13 11:12 PM, Antaeus2 wrote:
After a while I found out you could find other VGM soundtracks online, so I started looking for video games solely for the music, not really playing the games. Some of the composers who literally changed my life are: Masashi Hamauzu(Saga Frontier 2, Sigma Harmonics, FFXIII/XIII-2), Junya Nakano(Dew Prism), Tim Follin(Ecco the Dolphin), Panzer Dragoon ORTA and ZWEI to name a few..

It's nice to see someone who likes the music from Ecco the Dophin. And seeing you liked Panzer Dragoon Orta's music, i suggest you check out Panzer Dragoon Saga's music.

Sorry for the double post everyone...

BBS Signature
Antaeus2
Antaeus2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-27 17:19:43 Reply

At 3/26/13 11:34 PM, Deflektor wrote:
At 3/26/13 11:12 PM, Antaeus2 wrote:
It's nice to see someone who likes the music from Ecco the Dophin. And seeing you liked Panzer Dragoon Orta's music, i suggest you check out Panzer Dragoon Saga's music.

Sorry for the double post everyone...

Yeah man, almost anything from the panzer dragoon series was hot..I've really taken a liking to it(and most VGM) because of the sense of adventure, and creativity put into the music. No stone is left un-turned. As much as i love film music, it's music for film. I'm starting to see this big trend where more and more video game soundtracks have to sound like orchestral film soundtracks, with "real" instruments and such. Some video games did the orchestral approach, and i loved it, think Dragon Quest VIII. Beautiful stuff. That's the thing I like about VGM in general. These are virtual worlds, so we're not bound by our normal rules in music, which we might be in film.

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-27 21:10:50 Reply

The soundtrack to Ocarina of Time has been a big influence on my music. I don't think I have to explain why, lol.

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Influential Game Soundtracks 2013-03-27 22:09:08 Reply

Super Metroid, and Metroid - Helps me get a basis on how to write darker music, the feel inspires me in different ways over and over again.

Tropico 3/4 - Upbeat and really influences how I make my town I noticed, when I mute and play other music my town seems to differ entirely.

Singularity - Seriously this music creeps me out all the time.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City / Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Really puts me into the game, old school tracks to give the authenticity of being at that very time and place.

There's more, but can't be arsed to write the rest down.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature