Be a Supporter!
zag
zag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Cigarettes Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 3/27/13 04:32 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Just curious, doesn't anybody smoke cigars? :/

I occasionally smoke cigars. Only cheap, flavored ones though.
I have a strawberry one out on my porch that I need to finish.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cigarettes Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 03:26 PM Reply

At 3/27/13 04:32 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Just curious, doesn't anybody smoke cigars? :/

I would only get them for rolling blunts. You're not supposed to inhale cigar smoke, and I only smoke cigarettes and cigarillos to feel more lightheaded when drinking.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Cigarettes Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 03:30 PM Reply

I used to inhale the shit out of Swisher's Sweets (if those count as cigars). It made my tongue go numb lol

Jeffyx
Jeffyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Cigarettes Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 04:36 PM Reply

At 3/27/13 03:22 PM, zag wrote:
...You fucking asshole! XD
I have to pay eight dollars for a back of Pall Malls. A back of Marlbs is like nine.
America Spirit are twelve fucking bucks.

Fucking New York State :/

Damn! That's expensive. 0_o

"Life is a bitch, so learn how to fuck it" | Become my NG fan! | #teamsuckdick

BBS Signature
zag
zag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Cigarettes Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 04:37 PM Reply

At 3/27/13 04:36 PM, Jeffyx wrote:
I have to pay eight dollars for a back of Pall Malls. A back of Marlbs is like nine.

That it is :(
I love New York State, but sometimes its laws can be really fucking stupid.

BBS Signature
CresIsis
CresIsis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Cigarettes Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 04:38 PM Reply

American Spirits is amazing though, pure fucking tobacco.

~Sweet memories of us I do recall~
~Dear angel please come back before I fall~

Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to Cigarettes Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 3/27/13 12:59 AM, Latere wrote: That's awful nice of you, Seasons. Makes me feel fortunate I live in an area were smoking away from the bus stops is a federal law.

It is was federal law that would mean that it would be illegal to smoke at a bus stop everywhere in the U.S. Maybe a local ordinance sure.

Jeffyx
Jeffyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Cigarettes Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 06:20 PM Reply

At 3/27/13 04:37 PM, zag wrote:

You should try buying them online. Ciggiesworld has some pretty good deals.

"Life is a bitch, so learn how to fuck it" | Become my NG fan! | #teamsuckdick

BBS Signature
zag
zag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Cigarettes Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 08:49 PM Reply

At 3/27/13 06:20 PM, Jeffyx wrote:
At 3/27/13 04:37 PM, zag wrote:

You should try buying them online. Ciggiesworld has some pretty good deals.

I can't entirely be bothered. It's nice just being able to pick them up.
If I can ever get around to it, I'll probably start getting them from the Native American Reservation though. They sell them for about half the price we usually pay.

BBS Signature
unowned
unowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 02:46 PM Reply

At 3/26/13 12:29 PM, Entice wrote:
At 3/26/13 02:10 AM, unowned wrote: harms not just you the smoker
Bullshit.

passive unfiltered smoke is more likely to cause cancer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_smoking

Cigarette smoke contains radioactive polonium and lead

Kman
Kman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 03:15 PM Reply

On the occasion i do get a pack, i get Camel Crushes or L&M Turkish Blends. Love em.

Steam: Kman
Sig by YenMuffin
"Women these days don't appreciate a gentleman, or chivalry, and they're especially not deserving of it."

BBS Signature
Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 03:42 PM Reply

Rollies, yo. Golden Virginia, menthol filters.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 03:43 PM Reply

At 4/4/13 03:42 PM, Rumsworth wrote: Rollies, yo. Golden Virginia, menthol filters.

American spirit if I feel particularly swanky.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 07:38 PM Reply

At 4/4/13 05:20 PM, ClockworkSpace wrote:
At 3/26/13 12:29 PM, Entice wrote: Besides, smoking publicly is banned in most places now.
What???

It's true. In the UK they're super anal about smokers. Shopkeepers aren't even allowed to have their tobacco products on display in their shop, they have to be behind a metal cover that gets pulled up when somebody asks for tobacco.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 07:40 PM Reply

fags are horrible, why do people like them

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 4/4/13 07:40 PM, BumFodder wrote: fags are horrible, why do people like them

Taste mostly.. That's like asking why people don't like onions just because you don't like onions.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 07:46 PM Reply

At 4/4/13 07:44 PM, Rumsworth wrote:
Taste mostly.. That's like asking why people don't like onions just because you don't like onions.

Wow I messed that up. I meant to say "why people like onions".

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 07:46 PM Reply

Isnt it mostly the taste of the nicotine? You have to actually try to get yourself addicted to that to be addicted.

VaguelyWonderful
VaguelyWonderful
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 07:49 PM Reply

Everybody loves onions

Cigarettes

BBS Signature
mechadude32
mechadude32
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 07:51 PM Reply

you do realize the state forces the rise of prices so people QUIT smoking, right?

"if you put quotes here you're an idiot" mechadude32 These are the jokes, people...

(INSERT IMAGE HERE)

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 4/4/13 07:51 PM, mechadude32 wrote: you do realize the state forces the rise of prices so people QUIT smoking, right?

No they don't. It looks that way, and not to sound like some crazy hippy anti-government nutjob here, but it's pretty obvious they know the score. People won't quit smoking, so they rise the prices to get more money on cigarette tax. If they wanted people to quit so badly, they'd ban smoking altogether.

Also about the public smoking thing, yeah, you're allowed to smoke in outdoor public places, but pretty much nowhere indoors that isn't your own house or car..

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 07:57 PM Reply

At 4/4/13 07:54 PM, Rumsworth wrote: No they don't. It looks that way, and not to sound like some crazy hippy anti-government nutjob here, but it's pretty obvious they know the score. People won't quit smoking, so they rise the prices to get more money on cigarette tax. If they wanted people to quit so badly, they'd ban smoking altogether.

They rise it to both get more money and to get people to quit. Im pretty sure smoking costs way more than it brings back in tax and business tax due to health expenses and lost work and death. Plus banning smoking would just create a black market and solve nothing.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 08:18 PM Reply

At 4/4/13 07:57 PM, BumFodder wrote:
At 4/4/13 07:54 PM, Rumsworth wrote: No they don't. It looks that way, and not to sound like some crazy hippy anti-government nutjob here, but it's pretty obvious they know the score. People won't quit smoking, so they rise the prices to get more money on cigarette tax. If they wanted people to quit so badly, they'd ban smoking altogether.
They rise it to both get more money and to get people to quit. Im pretty sure smoking costs way more than it brings back in tax and business tax due to health expenses and lost work and death. Plus banning smoking would just create a black market and solve nothing.

Rising it to get money AND to get people to quit doesn't make sense. If people quit, they won't be making the money. They know that it's gotten to the point where people WILL always smoke. There is no chance that even if they were to ban it, people would abide by that law. As you said, creating a cigarette black market type dealio. So with that in mind, they don't want you to quit, they want your money - simultaneously making it seem like they want you to quit with the warnings and the price rise and the public bans. I'm not sure about the expenses of cigarettes being legal so you may be right, but I actually think the money brought in outweighs the money spent. They do make a whole load of cash.

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 03:27 AM Reply

At 4/4/13 07:57 PM, BumFodder wrote: Im pretty sure smoking costs way more than it brings back in tax and business tax due to health expenses and lost work and death

I dare you to research that for five minutes and I very much doubt you'll stick to the same conclusion. Total societal myth. Everyone gains from smokers - they don't claim their pensions and they die early so they don't require expensive late-life treatment. They bring in £17bn yearly (in the UK) from tax and duty alone while they 'cost' the NHS £7bn, leaving £10bn profit.

dozens of studies to look at if you don't believe me

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 09:20 AM Reply

Propaganda ftw

lel

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 09:31 AM Reply

At 4/4/13 08:18 PM, Rumsworth wrote: Rising it to get money AND to get people to quit doesn't make sense. If people quit, they won't be making the money.

Yes it does. It cost of money to treat health problems causes by smoking, so they raise the tax to cover that and to make people quit.

They know that it's gotten to the point where people WILL always smoke. There is no chance that even if they were to ban it, people would abide by that law. As you said, creating a cigarette black market type dealio.

Yeah, thats if you banned it instantly. Weening the whole public off of it already started a long time ago, in the past almost all adults smoked it.

So with that in mind, they don't want you to quit, they want your money - simultaneously making it seem like they want you to quit with the warnings and the price rise and the public bans.

They want both

I'm not sure about the expenses of cigarettes being legal so you may be right, but I actually think the money brought in outweighs the money spent. They do make a whole load of cash.

they dont make anywhere near enough to counteract the spending

At 4/5/13 03:27 AM, Earfetish wrote: I dare you to research that for five minutes and I very much doubt you'll stick to the same conclusion. Total societal myth. Everyone gains from smokers - they don't claim their pensions and they die early so they don't require expensive late-life treatment. They bring in Ã'£17bn yearly (in the UK) from tax and duty alone while they 'cost' the NHS Ã'£7bn, leaving Ã'£10bn profit.

dozens of studies to look at if you don't believe me

Im not sure if you meant to strawman me or not but I think youre forgetting the lost work days too, that loss alone far outweighs what the government makes in tobacco tax. I also found this reply from the department of health in my country.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/cigarette_tax_receipt s_v_cost_of

As it says, smoking causes "84 per cent of deaths from lung cancer and 83 per cent of deaths from chronic obstructive lung disease, including bronchitis.". Thats a tonne of lost work and income which could have been taxed and like I said it probably outweighs gained tax massively.

Rumsworth
Rumsworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 09:42 AM Reply

At 4/5/13 09:31 AM, BumFodder wrote: As it says, smoking causes "84 per cent of deaths from lung cancer and 83 per cent of deaths from chronic obstructive lung disease, including bronchitis.". Thats a tonne of lost work and income which could have been taxed and like I said it probably outweighs gained tax massively.

They're not LOSING money on lost work days.. They're just not making any..

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 09:45 AM Reply

At 4/5/13 09:31 AM, BumFodder wrote: Im not sure if you meant to strawman me or not but I think youre forgetting the lost work days too

you should click on my link, the scientists considered that. Generally smokers die after retirement age when they are no longer productive.

Thats a tonne of lost work and income which could have been taxed and like I said it probably outweighs gained tax massively.

I think the scientists considered that but still, that's not a loss, that's just a smaller potential gain. Like I said, research it.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 09:55 AM Reply

At 4/5/13 09:45 AM, Earfetish wrote: I think the scientists considered that but still, that's not a loss, that's just a smaller potential gain. Like I said, research it.

Small? lol, are you trolling? this source even agrees http://philcancer.org.ph/index.php/learn-more-about-cancer/l ung-cancer/125-rp-loses-p148-b-a-year-to-smoking-related-dis eases-deaths.html

Considering im the one finding the sources and youre not, I think youre the one who needs to research.

At 4/5/13 09:45 AM, Earfetish wrote: you should click on my link, the scientists considered that. Generally smokers die after retirement age when they are no longer productive.

Which still leaves a large amount of people who die before retiring.

At 4/5/13 09:42 AM, Rumsworth wrote: They're not LOSING money on lost work days.. They're just not making any..

yeah, theyre not making tax on the lost days, and thats a lot of lost money

Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Cigarettes Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 10:07 AM Reply

At 4/4/13 07:57 PM, BumFodder wrote:

Actually, I thought it was quite well known now that because smokers die younger and quicker i.e. heart attacks and aggressive cancers, the NHS saves money overall because it doesn't have to care for them into very old age.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature