00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anti-Hipsters needs to stop

5,524 Views | 77 Replies

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-03-26 21:39:49

At 3/26/13 08:09 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: On the one hand, I agree in that I really don't like the anti-intellectual bent that "anti-hipsterism" often takes on. Automatically writing off activities and cultural works that are weird or esoteric or just fall outside the mainstream as "pretentious" and dismissing anyone who likes those things as a "hipster" just belies a total lack of curiosity and open-mindedness.

I can agree to a certain point, because certain works or activities were only meant and fully understood by a select group of people to begin with. It's mostly due to the old "one man's xxx is another man's xxx" line of thinking that people have, and considering that some people are so set in their ways, it's impossible to change their minds on anything, even if it is for the better.

The problem is that when hipsters attract themselves to anything, the reputation becomes tarnished in one way or another, either because something they like is becoming "mainstream" and they can't seem to handle the thought of being "sheep", or it simply creates a culture of exclusivity in which the average Joe can't get into for whatever reason.

On the other hand, the detached, ironic attitude of actual hipsters can be pretty horrible, too, in that it fosters an environment where it's no longer cool to sincerely enjoy anything.

As I said, the culture of exclusivity that most hipsters seem to have a negative reaction with the average person and that is why they stay away from certain things, and have such a deep seated resentment towards them. Exclusivity can be a pretty messy thing to deal with, especially from the hypocritical hipsters who feel like they are shunned by society for standing out, and yet shun others who want to be a part of them.

Really, I'd prefer it if people didn't put stupid pop-cultural labels on themselves and just liked the shit they liked.

I don't mind hipsters per se, {Starbucks cup, tight pants, MLP gear, etc.} it's just the attitude that most have is nothing more than either arrogance or pretending to be more intellectual than they really are because they hate something like Call of Duty or The Who, {or whatever else for that matter} just because it's popular, and happen to like indie bands, games etc. even if they are shit.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-03-26 21:42:07

i hate the way these fucking idiots dress

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-03-26 22:19:09

At 3/26/13 09:42 PM, Tstelie wrote: i hate the way these fucking idiots dress

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-03-26 22:21:27

you prolly dress like an idiot too keep bleating sheep

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-03-26 23:12:03

At 3/26/13 03:44 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. You just sound like these people who just don't know where to look. If the stuff that plays on the radio sucks, it surely doesn't mean that everything released nowadays is bad. It's quite the contrary, actually.

It's probably because I listen to Hip-Hop and I've noticed the decline in what we dare call Hip-Hop.

fuk

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-03-27 00:51:42

At 3/26/13 11:12 PM, SpankyG wrote: It's probably because I listen to Hip-Hop and I've noticed the decline in what we dare call Hip-Hop.

I can't really talk about hip-hop and rap, since I do not know a lot about this scene. But aren't there a couple good hip-hop artists around these days ? Like... Death Grips, Jedi Mind Trick, Dälek (Dalek, if NG fucks up the letters), Danny Brown, Captain Murphy.

Obviously, if by today's hip-hop you mean Lil' Wayne, Flo-Rida and Nicki Minaj... than obviously, hip-hop sucks nowadays...

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-03-27 01:04:57

At 3/27/13 12:51 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 3/26/13 11:12 PM, SpankyG wrote: It's probably because I listen to Hip-Hop and I've noticed the decline in what we dare call Hip-Hop.
I can't really talk about hip-hop and rap, since I do not know a lot about this scene. But aren't there a couple good hip-hop artists around these days ?

I'm not very familiar with rap, but there's lots and lots of good instrumental hip hop and trip hop and the like. As far as modern rap, there's Mos Def, Childish Gambino, Talib Kweli, Danger Mouse, and MF Doom.

But the most popular "hip hop" these days topping the charts seems to mostly be pop music with some hip hop influence. It's pitiful.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-03-27 01:36:24

At 3/27/13 01:04 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'm not very familiar with rap, but there's lots and lots of good instrumental hip hop and trip hop and the like. As far as modern rap, there's Mos Def, Childish Gambino, Talib Kweli, Danger Mouse, and MF Doom.

Trip-Hop and IDM is pretty cool :)

Ulver has some great trip-hop(ish) stuff. And I know edIT is a great IDM/Glitch-hop artist!

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-03-27 01:39:33

At 3/27/13 01:36 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Ulver has some great trip-hop(ish) stuff.

Hallways of Allways is definitely trip-hop.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-05-03 18:34:03

At 3/26/13 08:03 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: Ironically, all hipsters hate hipsters.

NOT ME, I HATE HIPSTERS BECAUSE ITS COOL

I even got a special hipster-bashing leather bracelet tailor-made for my dainty but heavily-furred arms. One of a kind, and made by a skilled leather worker that you've probably never heard of.

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-05-03 18:50:28

how about instead of trying to be something, we just be whoever the fuck we are?
i live by "if you have to try to be x, then it's not worth being"
hipsters try too hard to be different when they could just be different by being themselves.

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-05-03 18:51:21

I only wear cool clothes for cool people such as myself.

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-05-03 19:13:32

At 5/3/13 06:34 PM, TheShrike wrote:
At 3/26/13 08:03 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: Ironically, all hipsters hate hipsters.
NOT ME, I HATE HIPSTERS BECAUSE ITS COOL

I even got a special hipster-bashing leather bracelet tailor-made for my dainty but heavily-furred arms. One of a kind, and made by a skilled leather worker that you've probably never heard of.

Dainty build, artisan clothing, and I know your love of Mac products. But the crowning jewel here is that you heavily imply that Funk is the leather worker in question by suggesting he would not know. You are being IRONIC.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-05-03 19:17:21

When LAPD computer expert Peter Fowler investigates the killing of an old man in Chinatown, he finds the only witness is his dog, Cho Cho. But Fowler soon discovers Cho Cho is the only dog in the world who can speak to humans... not only that, Cho Cho is an expert in martial arts. When they join forces to track down the mastermind behind the death of Cho Cho's master, it leads these unusual partners into uncovering a dangerous conspiracy which puts both of their lives in danger.

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-05-03 19:49:20

At 5/3/13 07:13 PM, stafffighter

You are being IRONIC.

I was ironic before it was cool

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-05-03 19:55:31

At 5/3/13 07:49 PM, TheShrike wrote: At 5/3/13 07:13 PM, stafffighter
You are being IRONIC.
I was ironic before it was cool

No, you listened to the Alanis Morrisete song "Ironic" before it became a hit, because of what a fan of hers you are.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-05-03 20:32:12

At 5/3/13 07:55 PM, stafffighter wrote: No, you listened to the Alanis Morrisete song "Ironic" before it became a hit, because of what a fan of hers you are.

Now isn't that ironic?

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop 2013-05-04 09:26:51

At 3/25/13 09:56 PM, bigbadron wrote:
At 3/25/13 09:52 PM, Xenomit wrote: Shutter shades are the club and party culture, not hipster culture
they were. then they got mainstream.

The first evolutionary step in that list is an emo, whom of which isn't dressed anything like an emo.

I call bullshit.