Be a Supporter!

Legal question

  • 396 Views
  • 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Legal question 2013-03-23 04:38:04 Reply

Hey everyone, I recently downloaded a sample pack and I was wondering if anyone could clarify what this means:

"The Licensee may use the Sounds in combination with other sounds in music productions (which include soundtracks of such as films, video productions, radio/TV programs or commercials, computer games and multimedia presentations, library music), public performances, and other reasonable musical purposes within musical compositions. The Licensee MAY NOT use the Sounds in isolation as sound effects (i.e. a sequence of musical events) or within any competitive products that are sold or relicensed to multiple third parties"

I can read, but I don't really understand what I'm not allowed to do with them.

Also, if said samples are used, would my submission pass stated NG rules? They are free and are royalty-free if that helps.

Thanks in advance.


New drum and bass song

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
DanMasterFlash
DanMasterFlash
  • Member since: Apr. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to Legal question 2013-03-23 04:43:49 Reply

At 3/23/13 04:38 AM, DjAbbic wrote: Hey everyone, I recently downloaded a sample pack and I was wondering if anyone could clarify what this means:

"The Licensee may use the Sounds in combination with other sounds in music productions (which include soundtracks of such as films, video productions, radio/TV programs or commercials, computer games and multimedia presentations, library music), public performances, and other reasonable musical purposes within musical compositions. The Licensee MAY NOT use the Sounds in isolation as sound effects (i.e. a sequence of musical events) or within any competitive products that are sold or relicensed to multiple third parties"

I can read, but I don't really understand what I'm not allowed to do with them.

Also, if said samples are used, would my submission pass stated NG rules? They are free and are royalty-free if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

I think they're just saying you can use the samples royalty free for your tunes, but you can't just re-sell their sample pack. Like if you were to buy it, then distribute it out to others for money. Same with like buying a CD. It's illegal to make copies of that CD you just bought and selling it publicly.


moozik is fuhn ye.

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Legal question 2013-03-23 04:51:09 Reply

At 3/23/13 04:43 AM, DanMasterFlash wrote: I think they're just saying you can use the samples royalty free for your tunes, but you can't just re-sell their sample pack. Like if you were to buy it, then distribute it out to others for money. Same with like buying a CD. It's illegal to make copies of that CD you just bought and selling it publicly.

Ok awesome, but do you know whether using these samples in my my music passes as "my own original work" to submit to NG?


New drum and bass song

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Musician
Response to Legal question 2013-03-23 05:19:01 Reply

basically as long as you don't resell the library, or use ONLY the library in such a way that somebody else could cut it up and get the same files.

Like for example, if this pack had a kick drum in it, if your entire song is just this kick drum every 4 seconds that would be illegal because somebody could download your "song", cut out the kick drum from it and then they have the sample.

If you put anything else on it, any other sounds, then it's fair game. Hell you could even just layer sounds from the same pack on top of each other and it would still equate to the same thing. So yeah i'd think your stuff would be fine.

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Legal question 2013-03-23 05:24:18 Reply

At 3/23/13 05:19 AM, MaestroRage wrote: basically as long as you don't resell the library, or use ONLY the library in such a way that somebody else could cut it up and get the same files.

Like for example, if this pack had a kick drum in it, if your entire song is just this kick drum every 4 seconds that would be illegal because somebody could download your "song", cut out the kick drum from it and then they have the sample.

If you put anything else on it, any other sounds, then it's fair game. Hell you could even just layer sounds from the same pack on top of each other and it would still equate to the same thing. So yeah i'd think your stuff would be fine.

That's good to hear :). I guess I can get posting on my submission then :). Thanks a lot for your replies guys, I really appreciate it.


New drum and bass song

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 11
Musician
Response to Legal question 2013-03-23 05:35:11 Reply

Wrong. Everything you all do is illegal. I have informed the cyberpolice.

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Legal question 2013-03-23 05:44:59 Reply

At 3/23/13 05:35 AM, Breed wrote: Wrong. Everything you all do is illegal. I have informed the cyberpolice.

pls noe.


New drum and bass song

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
Cross666
Cross666
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Legal question 2013-03-24 10:14:17 Reply

At 3/23/13 05:35 AM, Breed wrote: Wrong. Everything you all do is illegal. I have informed the cyberpolice.

gooby pls.


BBS Signature
joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Member since: Nov. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Legal question 2013-03-24 12:40:35 Reply

At 3/23/13 05:19 AM, MaestroRage wrote: basically as long as you don't resell the library, or use ONLY the library in such a way that somebody else could cut it up and get the same files.

Like for example, if this pack had a kick drum in it, if your entire song is just this kick drum every 4 seconds that would be illegal because somebody could download your "song", cut out the kick drum from it and then they have the sample.

If you put anything else on it, any other sounds, then it's fair game. Hell you could even just layer sounds from the same pack on top of each other and it would still equate to the same thing. So yeah i'd think your stuff would be fine.

^^ This is correct.

At the same time, it's a bit of a moot point in certain areas, because plenty of times you'll end up with a break in a song or soundtrack where you want like a "sad horns" effect with nothing else in the mix to emphasize the cue. In a case like that, what else are you supposed to do? Use a different library that doesn't have such restrictions? That's silly. Also, technically as long as there is some form of "noise" in the "mix" you're covered in a legal sense (EULAs or what are referred to as "click-wraps" or "shrink-wrap" contracts are often overturnable if they are stupid, viz. how people in the Europe can transfer any software they want now legally regardless of what an EULA says).

Source: Business Law 101

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Legal question 2013-03-24 16:28:10 Reply

At 3/24/13 12:40 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: ^^ This is correct.

:Also, technically as long as there is some form of "noise" in the "mix" you're covered in a legal sense (EULAs or what are :referred to as "click-wraps" or "shrink-wrap" contracts are often overturnable if they are stupid, viz.


Source: Business Law 101

Ok, thanks for clarifying and stating the boundaries. I really appreciate it :)


New drum and bass song

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to Legal question 2013-03-25 18:00:53 Reply

At 3/24/13 12:40 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: as long as there is some form of "noise" in the "mix" you're covered in a legal sense

A bit of dithering will do the trick lol