New Topic Respond to this Topic
WyteNoiz
WyteNoiz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 12:58 AM Reply

Definitely going with Morrowind on this one. Skyrim just seemed to be less mysterious and overly you-are-the-only-one-to-save-the-world like...

Need beats? Instrumentals are now for sale and ranging anywhere from $250 to $500. Beats are mixed and mastered after purchase. Can also lease beats with contract agreement.

OwnageGiy223
OwnageGiy223
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:08 AM Reply

They're completely different games that need to be judged on their own merits; but then again this forum is populated mostly be elitists and children (there's very little difference between the two), so that's never going to happen.

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Reader
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:40 AM Reply

Honestly I loved Morrowind so much that even if Skyrim was a better game in every way, I would probably pick Morrowind anyways. I loved exploring in Morrowind so much.

I have a feeling that I might have enjoyed Skyrim more if I had a computer capable of running it on highest graphics, but graphics have never been terribly important to me anyways so I doubt it. The world of Morrowind is just way more interesting to me. Skyrim and Oblivion both feel a lot more restricted, with the quests intruding into freeplay with things like invulnerable characters, un-openable doors, etc, and the invisible barriers with the "you can't go this way" on the edges of the Oblivion world REALLY pissed me off for some reason. At least in Skyrim they used mountains, but in Morrowind you can just levitate over that shit, and that concept is basically what I like more about Morrowind.

I also don't like how they grouped some of the skills and whatnot together; I really like the specific and varied skills that you can play around with in Morrowind. As far as the story goes, I never spent very much time on the story in either game. Honestly I don't think I've even read all the dialogue for the storyline in Morrowind, despite having logged countless hours into that game.

I really REALLY like casting destruction spells in Skyrim though. I'm not ashamed to admit that I haven't even completed the main storyline in Skyrim but I have spent more than one hour running around electrocuting everyone in sight, pretending to be a Sith lord (this is when the invulnerable assholes get annoying)

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Reader
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:44 AM Reply

At 3/22/13 04:08 AM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: They're completely different games that need to be judged on their own merits; but then again this forum is populated mostly be elitists and children (there's very little difference between the two), so that's never going to happen.

Look at Mr. No-opinion over here with his factual non-opinions. Objectively a better person than us scrubs who actually talk about things, damn.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 05:55 AM Reply

Both games have strong and weak points, and what it all comes down to is what you like to have most in an Elder Scrolls game so I have to go with Skyrim. Sure I think would be even better if the could take some elements back from Morrowind. But in my own opinion I think Skyrim is the better game amongst other very awesome games.

Heads or tails?

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:24 AM Reply

At 3/22/13 04:44 AM, Tremulos wrote: Look at Mr. No-opinion over here with his factual non-opinions. Objectively a better person than us scrubs who actually talk about things, damn.

Damn...

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:34 AM Reply

I still haven't finished either, but I got about 80 hours in Morrowind and 125 hours in Skyrim.

Up to now, I think both have their pros and cons.

Morrowind
So far I've completed the main story up until the fourth and fifth trials and I think it's superior to that of Skyrim's. The cultures and background stories of the Dunmer and Dwemer are also far more interesting than the tales of the Nords in my opinion.

The game suffers from being very slow though, especially in the beginning. Your character moves like a snail and everybody battle is annoying as hell since all your attacks keep missing. The random success system is bullshit in general if you ask me. It feels too much like dice rolling.

Lastly, everybody always praises the landscape of Morrowind. I do like the alien look of it, but I think a large part of island is quite cumbersome to explore (mainly referring to the Ashlands).

Skyrim
Way better than Morrowind in terms of gameplay. I like the level system a lot and the battles are far more fluent. The fast travel system is a plus to me and the quests are also better overall (quests in Morrowind had very little variety). Lastly, Skyrim has the best soundtrack in my opinion.

On the negative side: The main story seems so-so to me (I'm at Alduin's Bane quest). Also, the sidequests are a little disappointing. You'll blaze through most of them within an hour or three.

----

To be honest, Oblivion is actually my favourite Elder Scrolls game. The major sidequests were way better (especially the Mages Guild) and I think it had the nicest landscape to explore. The landscape was colourful, had a lot of variety and was easy to traverse.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
IGreenI
IGreenI
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 09:01 AM Reply

Morrowind, and only because I played it first on xbox a very long time ago. I was, and still am blown away with how fun it was/is. Skyrim is amazing too, and so is Oblivion. So my bias is just that, I can't really give specifics as to who>why.

I tried, later then.

fawnret
fawnret
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:10 PM Reply

I prefer skyrim myself. It has better combat and a huge area to explore full of interesting quests. I do enjoy morrowind too. It certainly has more skills to work on. In the end I have more fun with skyrim though.

Why skyrim removed the unarmed skill I will never know.

Gamertag: Catspirit123
home forum

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 07:28 PM Reply

I get lost in the world of Morrowind, I get bored of Skyrim.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:11 PM Reply

I was hooked on Morrowind back in like 2003 or 2004. I can hardly play it now, though. It has aged pretty badly. What I hate the most is how your attacks work like a roll of the dice.

Skyrim may have been simplified, but it works quite well. I think it's a very good game. There are some things it should have kept from previous games, though.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Valjylmyr
Valjylmyr
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:33 PM Reply

I've always preferred Morrowind. Skyrim had me hooked faster but if I had to choose one it'd be Morrowind. Skyrim was a prettier game and more fun to just run around in but Morrowind felt like playing a tabletop. The way combat worked and how it was more stat based than skill based just felt better to me.

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 09:05 PM Reply

Morrowind

BBS Signature
WyteNoiz
WyteNoiz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 09:11 PM Reply

At 3/22/13 07:28 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: I get lost in the world of Morrowind, I get bored of Skyrim.

Very true Sir..

Need beats? Instrumentals are now for sale and ranging anywhere from $250 to $500. Beats are mixed and mastered after purchase. Can also lease beats with contract agreement.

BANGsquared
BANGsquared
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:16 AM Reply

Personally I liked Skyrim more.

Nothing beats trekking through the windy mountains, making your way around the abrupt peaks, and suddenly you come faced with an amazing vista of the land as the snowy condition clears. It's the little things like that.

// Kongregate // Tumblr // Reddit // Steam //

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 23rd, 2013 @ 09:35 PM Reply

At 3/23/13 06:16 AM, BANGsquared wrote: Personally I liked Skyrim more.

I did, too, but I really hope the next Elder Scrolls game has a more exotic or alien-like setting like Morrowind did. What I'd like the most would be Summerset Isle and the surrounding islands. Black Marsh would be my second choice. Or they could go back to Morrowind.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 23rd, 2013 @ 10:59 PM Reply

I never played Morrow wind, so Skyrim wins.

tha-chiller
tha-chiller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 24th, 2013 @ 11:33 AM Reply

the true question is "Morrowind V.s Oblivion...after modding"

SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Reader
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 24th, 2013 @ 01:45 PM Reply

I prefer Skyrim.

First of all, I thought the landscape was much more breathtaking in my opinion. Second, the gameplay was WAY better than that of Morrowind. I hated the combat of Morrowind because of that dice roll combat. Third, the soundtrack was really kickass.

That being said, I still like Morrowind. The larger variety of weapons and spells was pretty neat. Creating your own spells was fun. The story, I admit, was better. It was always cool to explore the mysterious land of Morrowind and uncover its secrets. Plus, the enemies were more unique.

Stretch those glutes, Flitter!
"You are a generally happy and carefree person." - Sectus
"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 24th, 2013 @ 03:00 PM Reply

At 3/23/13 09:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 3/23/13 06:16 AM, BANGsquared wrote: Personally I liked Skyrim more.
I did, too, but I really hope the next Elder Scrolls game has a more exotic or alien-like setting like Morrowind did. What I'd like the most would be Summerset Isle and the surrounding islands. Black Marsh would be my second choice. Or they could go back to Morrowind.

I'd say either those or Elsweyr. With Elsweyr they could introduce some new geography into the series, like rainforests and badlands. Also, the Khajit were pretty cool in Skyrim and the creators could do some fun things with Moon Sugar.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 09:49 PM Reply

At 3/24/13 03:00 PM, Auz wrote: I'd say either those or Elsweyr. With Elsweyr they could introduce some new geography into the series, like rainforests and badlands. Also, the Khajit were pretty cool in Skyrim and the creators could do some fun things with Moon Sugar.

Maybe, but I'd much prefer the southwest islands.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 08:19 AM Reply

At 3/26/13 09:49 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 3/24/13 03:00 PM, Auz wrote: I'd say either those or Elsweyr. With Elsweyr they could introduce some new geography into the series, like rainforests and badlands. Also, the Khajit were pretty cool in Skyrim and the creators could do some fun things with Moon Sugar.

Well, it would be interesting to see how the Aldmeri Dominion played out and what effect it had on the elves' homeland. Plus, there's gotta be nice architecture and interesting landscape like you said.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Morrowind vs. Skyrim Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 09:15 AM Reply

At 3/27/13 08:19 AM, Auz wrote:
At 3/26/13 09:49 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Well, it would be interesting to see how the Aldmeri Dominion played out and what effect it had on the elves' homeland. Plus, there's gotta be nice architecture and interesting landscape like you said.

I picture some kind of Avatar aesthetic. bioluminescent plantlife and stuff. And you'd ride a boat to the other islands and fight sea creatures on the way.

also, sloads.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature