New Topic Respond to this Topic
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 18:03:02 Reply

OK, i'm going to be serious, I like some Valve games (Half Life 1, TF2 (the game itself, not the community) one of the things I honestly don't understand is the hype over HL2, a few months ago, I thought HL2 looked cool from the trailers and screenshots, and there was a lot of love for the game over several websites, So I tried it out. Needeless to say, the game disappointed me, the first half, instead of being progressively good, shifts from somewhat fun (the airboat chase and the intro to the game) to extremely boring (going through sewers solving valve puzzles), the second half of the game was pretty decent, however, the AI in the resistance in Anti-Citizen One is so bad that I got in hallways at least 3 times and I was forced to restart the game. The ending of the game was also extremely abrupt and left a bad taste in my mouth, it SCREAMED to me that Valve just wanted your money if you wanted to keep on with the story. They should have at least give it a proper ending instead of a giant cliffhanger that said to people; "Will Alyx die? spend 10 bucks to find out!", The game also had problems with enemy variety, there were no real bosses that you had to THINK on how to use the environment to kill said boss like in HL1, the actual present enemies were mostly tiny gadgets that weren't fun to kill at all (manhacks), and the story was just 1984; the video game, the only real good things that made this game stand out was the atmosphere of the first ~10 minutes of the game and the soundtrack (most of which was re-used from HL1).
The gravity gun also wasn't really that special, it was fun for the first 5 minutes but having an entire chapter dedicated to it got old extremely fast.

So tell me, NG am I missing something? because I think this is no where near the holy grail of FPS's let alone PC gaming in general, if anything, that title should go to HL1 as it was dozens of times better than it's sequel, whose beta looked more like a fuller, funner sequel, but for some reason beyond my head the Valve team scraped a large portion of content that would of made this game so much better (more depressing atmosphere, Morpha boss, several enemies that would have just been cool to have like Combine assassins or the fish monster things from HL1)

BBS Signature
momijirabbit
momijirabbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 18:14:04 Reply

Because it's a good game.

The Ledge

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 19:03:41 Reply

You are asking this as the same reason why skids love COD so much.

It's a cult.

Centurion-Ryan
Centurion-Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 19:05:47 Reply

It's almost ten years old. I think to fully appreciate it you have to have played it when it came out. It just brought a lot of new stuff to the table.

My PSN: Obilisk745
"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."
Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 19:22:18 Reply

Why have you made like 6 threads about this

Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 19:49:06 Reply

At 3/21/13 06:14 PM, momijirabbit wrote: Because it's a good game.

What this guy says.

iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 19:55:46 Reply

At 3/21/13 07:49 PM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote:
What this guy says.

Fuck you. Seriously, stop with the useless sarcastic replies. Maybe you should read the thread and provide an actual answer, rather than just +1'ing your post count.

I agree OP, I played it way back and I didn't enjoy it, I played all the way through thinking "this must get better" but it just didn't. I got the Episodes, and they're awful as well.

People say it was innovative, but I never see why it was innovative. Oh? a Physics engine? Big whoop.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 20:17:50 Reply

At 3/21/13 07:05 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: It's almost ten years old. I think to fully appreciate it you have to have played it when it came out. It just brought a lot of new stuff to the table.

I got way more enjoyment from HL1, which is like 6 years older

Why have you made like 6 threads about this

My other ones weren't as serious as this one.

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 20:26:57 Reply

At 3/21/13 07:55 PM, iMini wrote:
At 3/21/13 07:49 PM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote:
What this guy says.
Fuck you. Seriously, stop with the useless sarcastic replies. Maybe you should read the thread and provide an actual answer, rather than just +1'ing your post count.

I agree OP, I played it way back and I didn't enjoy it, I played all the way through thinking "this must get better" but it just didn't. I got the Episodes, and they're awful as well.

People say it was innovative, but I never see why it was innovative. Oh? a Physics engine? Big whoop.

I like the first one, but I think what happened with the second one and possibly with the episodes (I haven't played the episodes, but judging from people who didn't like HL2 that much and their reviews on the episodes, I doubt they're that great, I might check them out) was that Valve wanted to "perfect" their game, and it lead to them cutting out a bunch of material that would made the game have a lot more variety, (if you check the beta and alpha versions of the game, you can find cooler versions of the weapons, neat ideas for maps, a better, darker atmosphere, and actual cool bosses like that morpha that they cut out because "the camera didn't match up right") I would be more lenient on the game, if the ending wasn't so bad. Seriously there were so many better fps's released around that time like Project Snowblind, Goldeneye; Rogue Agent, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, etc. but the majority of these fps's along with games in general that were released around that time get overshadowed by Half Life 2

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 20:39:11 Reply

Grizzlyone thread template:
Why do people love/hate ___ so much.

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 20:44:19 Reply

At 3/21/13 07:55 PM, iMini wrote: Fuck you. Seriously, stop with the useless sarcastic replies. Maybe you should read the thread and provide an actual answer, rather than just +1'ing your post count.

wow dude calm down.

In your opinion. This doesn't actually make your post anymore valuable than the aforementioned sarcastic replies you seem to condemn.
Ex. I hate COD because it's AWFUL and SHITTY wahhh

Actually it was a "big whoop" if you knew anything about the games industry back then.
I've mentioned before why Half life was innovative before so I'll simply dig that up for you.

"before Half life 1, any video game story that you would come across existed in a vacuum-sealed bag piggybacked on the game itself. You had games that would drown you in exposition (I.E japanese rpgs, classical adventure games) or games that would give you a light touch of setting, motivation, and character and nothing else for the entire rest of the game (Doom, Quake era shooters).
Half life was the first shooter (and game) that took a crack at the genesis of story and gameplay. A game where you could either not give a crap about the story, or become intrigued in it. A game where just the act of playing or listening to NPC's whilst playing could give you exposition, and Half life also did this so extremely well with the proper pacing and tension at just the proper times, and a complementary difficulty curve, it redefined what it means for a video game to have a story.
This all on top of the major graphical and technical leaps Valve made with friendly NPC characters and skeletal animation makes this game anything but generic. There was NOTHING like it at the time, hell I even played it about 3 months ago and still completed it in one evening fulfilled.
Half life 2 revolutionized the genre even more with the gravity gun, making physics a major asset to game play in a way nobody thought of before on top of keeping up the top notch pacing most games strive for, making enormous graphical leaps and having actual characters I cared for in the process.
And keep in mind that in both of these games, all this is accomplished without the player ever leaving or cutting away from the perspective of the character or the environment the character is in.
VERY few games can boast that."

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1331765/4

BBS Signature
iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 21:14:14 Reply

At 3/21/13 08:44 PM, naronic wrote: Half life 2 revolutionized the genre even more with the gravity gun, making physics a major asset to game play in a way nobody thought of before on top of keeping up the top notch pacing most games strive for

I'd have to disagree, the game slows to a crawl at times, the pacing is really off very frequently.

making enormous graphical leaps and having actual characters I cared for in the process.

Halo 2, MGS 3, Far Cry, all had far better graphics than Half Life 2. Personally, I didn't care who lived or not, you get so little time with each of them.

And keep in mind that in both of these games, all this is accomplished without the player ever leaving or cutting away from the perspective of the character or the environment the character is in.
VERY few games can boast that."

That's because it's not worth boasting, it essentially had cut scenes, but rather than being a cutscene or the like, they just had the characters walk about doing shit and explaining at the same time. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's good. I mean, you don't even get a lot of information or background lore about what exactly happened when the combine came, because all their is to figure out what happened are off hand comments and occasional new clippings scattered about. I know so much more about say MGS 3's world (bare in mind, it's a prequel and you have no knowledge of it's events from the earlier games) simply because all the information is handed to you in it's cut scenes, which is just a better way of handing out information.

I just don't see anything about Half Life that games released before or around the same time as it did better. It's just bland.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 21:39:25 Reply

You've asked this before. It's fun. That's why.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 21:48:57 Reply

At 3/21/13 09:39 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: You've asked this before. It's fun. That's why.

I played the game. It's not fun.
Contradiction.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 22:31:37 Reply

At 3/21/13 09:48 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:
At 3/21/13 09:39 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: You've asked this before. It's fun. That's why.
Contradiction.

That's just your opinion, though. Personally, I think it's an excellent game.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 22:33:18 Reply

I could have sworn that you made a similar thread to this a while ago.

Anyways, the reason why people love Half-Life 2 is because they say that it's an innovative take on the FPS with a powerful game engine, and of course, it's made by Valve. I've played this game, and I honestly did not care for it that much, nor did I even care for the characters who barely explain anything what's going on beyond the obvious. Also, the episodes were probably the dumbest concept that they thought up of, considering that even Valve didn't like to do that in the first place.

Now that doesn't mean that it was a bad game per se, but this is not even in my top 5 FPS games ever, and is certainly not better than the first or second Modern Warfare games, much less Doom. I believe the main reason why it gets so much undeserved praise is because it's made by Valve, who for whatever reason is supposed to be the opposite of Activision.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 22:52:05 Reply

Like I said, I wasn't as serious on those thread, when people on here and several other websites think greatest games in the timespan of 2003-2005, they usually don't think of GTA;SA or Wind Waker, they instantly think of HL2, I don't know why, there were several fps's released in that timespan that wee much better but are overshadowed by HL2, I'm just wondering why they think that HL2 is the greatest game veer, and it's not really helping me when they just say "it's a good game", that's not going in-depth.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 22:52:31 Reply

At 3/21/13 09:48 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:

Oh shit. You heard him, guys. It's official.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 22:53:54 Reply

; Valve, who for whatever reason is supposed to be the opposite of Activision.

Have you ever heard of the Left 4 Dead and Counter Strike series?

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-21 23:24:21 Reply

At 3/21/13 10:53 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: ; Valve, who for whatever reason is supposed to be the opposite of Activision.

Have you ever heard of the Left 4 Dead and Counter Strike series?

How many Left 4 Dead's were there, how many Counter Strikes, how many sequels to their popular franchises in general, how often where they released and and at what average price point? Now how many Cod's after MW are there and what's their release frequency and price?

That's because it's not worth boasting, it essentially had cut scenes, but rather than being a cutscene or the like, they just had the characters walk about doing shit and explaining at the same time.

You forgot the part where you could walk around discovering eastereggs and investigating your environment for increased context for the story itself (such as the part near the beginning of HL2 in the lab where you could look at discarded newspapers about the alien human struggle and old portraits of Gordon Freeman and the antagonist), and you're missing the point.
Half life's exposition was weaved in such a way as to make it explainable, palpable and nicely condensed without taking control away from the character, and it did so extremely well imo.
Creating a story like that all in an unbroken 1st person nonomnipotent is truly a show of skill even if it wasn't my particular thing.

A lot of things here seem to be coming down to personal taste so I'm not really sure we can argue objectively here. I'll just say that the reason I care so much about HL's universe is because it provides the ultimate engagement. When I took creative writing classes I remember the books that were most influential in were books that put in practice the old saying "show don't tell" as in reveal your world indirectly through imagery and small details, don't just blurt out what it is and how we're supposed to feel about it.

In video games the equivalent is more like "play don't show", and Half life does a fine job in my opinion; when I'm playing it I actually feel like I'm in the action.

That's because he has, although it was worded differently like "HL2 sucks" or something.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-22 00:06:25 Reply

Didn't you make a thread about this topic when you first signed up?

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 26
Writer
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-22 00:11:18 Reply

It isn't the worst game in the world. At the time it was made, this thing was something special. I guess it just resonates with me. I still love it.

Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-22 00:41:23 Reply

At 3/21/13 11:24 PM, naronic wrote: "show don't tell" as in reveal your world indirectly through imagery and small details, don't just blurt out what it is and how we're supposed to feel about it.

This is one of the things I like about Valve games. They don't have the characters shout out "The combine are a ___ under ___'s control and their objective is ___! Go to ___ and destroy ___ to stop them from ___!"

My experience was almost the opposite. I didn't like the beginning chapters of HL2 but it grew better, all the while keeping its pace. There's not a lot happening but I'm still engaged by the atmosphere.

When people are over-exposed to games which hand you everything on a plate, they don't enjoy games that do the same things subtly. They just push on in hopes of an "epic" cutscene/boss fight.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-22 08:55:59 Reply

I was a bit sceptical about the game when I played it for the first time last year, but I ended up really liking the game.

There were a couple of chapters in the beginning I didn't like that much (especially Ravenholm), but from Anti-citizen One onwards the game became totally awesome to me. I felt a lot of immersion when I was running through the streets in the rebellion war with all those War of the Worlds tripods roaming around.

I haven't played HL1 yet though. Maybe it's better like you said. I don't know.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
mrpwnzer
mrpwnzer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-22 09:23:35 Reply

Graphics continue to impress me for a 2004 game, it's fun (especially with the gravity gun), not as easy compared to most shooters today, and I like it.

To answer your question: probably because people find the game fun. Shocker I know.

Xbox live: C0n Queso
PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten
Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-22 14:24:15 Reply

At 3/22/13 09:23 AM, mrpwnzer wrote: Graphics continue to impress me for a 2004 game, it's fun (especially with the gravity gun), not as easy compared to most shooters today, and I like it.

To answer your question: probably because people find the game fun. Shocker I know.

instead of actually fully answering my question, you just say it's the graphics, graphics have nothing to do with gameplay, I'll be sure to use this as ammo when some retro hipster comes onto the video game forums bitching about games like Call of Duty using "people only care about the game for it's graphics" as an excuse

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-22 14:40:56 Reply

At 3/22/13 02:24 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: "people only care about the game for it's graphics" as an excuse

Call of Duty has terrible map detail.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-22 16:30:44 Reply

Why is it suddenly such a popular opinion here that Valve sucks?

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-22 17:00:17 Reply

At 3/22/13 02:24 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: instead of actually fully answering my question, you just say it's the graphics,

Except he also stated at least three other reasons as to why he likes the game.
Also, I love both Half-Life games. Just about everything they have to offer hits right for me. And there's also the fact that they're both really fun. A game doesn't need much more than that IMO.

Crazywill
Crazywill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Why do people love HL2 so much 2013-03-22 21:11:54 Reply

Why do people like something? Usually because it makes them entertained or happy in some way. I'm not really a person to go to for anything like that though. I remember when the game first came out though back in 2004. My room mate was quite entertained by it.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.