New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 23:34:05 Reply

At 3/21/13 11:18 PM, stafffighter wrote: Well you can't outright dismiss a film for being flashy.

I'm not. There are plenty of flashy, purely visually entertaining films that I love. I like action movies and cartoons and musicals and big-budget epics as much as anyone, but the spectacle has to complement good story construction and coherent stylistic choices, not replace them. The movies listed in that post do other things wrong that I feel ultimately deflate their visual pleasures for me and undermine the whole film (another common theme in those movies: delusional, smug pretensions of deeper meaning, my biggest pet peeve in all pop culture).

Yes style over substance is a thing but film is a visual medium. It's part of the tool kit to tell the story. If you're going to ignore that aspect all together then you have a very limited genre of claustrophobic talkers. Are there great films like that, yes, but not all great films are. Clerks and T2 are both good flicks.

I totally agree. I'm just saying that these kinds of visual spectacle films are by their nature more prone to initial popularity and later backlash, and that those criticisms can be and usually are legitimate.

At 3/21/13 11:20 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Believe me, it was accused of being a conservative propaganda.

Are you sure about that? That seems really fucking bizarre and I've never come across that argument before. Links? I'm not arguing with you or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 23:35:16 Reply

You'd better call Kenny Loggins, 'cause you're in the danger zone.

Get it?

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 23:49:24 Reply

At 3/21/13 11:34 PM, Dr-Worm wrote:

Are you sure about that? That seems really fucking bizarre and I've never come across that argument before. Links? I'm not arguing with you or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

The criticisms came in 1990s so it will be tough to find, I'll look it up tomorrow.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 23:56:30 Reply

maybe you have not seen alot of them because i seen lots and dont think of just a musical theres lots somant great scenes and actors.

~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-22 05:03:25 Reply

At 3/21/13 07:25 PM, Xenomit wrote: Dammit, I know I'm forgetting a few

You probably forgot the hated ones. :) Apart from Avatar, which I really do hate (unless you're talking about the Airbender Avatar) that's a list of classics. Was a bit disappointed with the Matrix Revolutions but it did have some great fight scenes. As for Transformers, the first one was the only one I really liked, it was just perfect; after that it looks like it just kept rolling on old intrigues.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-22 16:40:44 Reply

At 3/21/13 11:56 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: maybe you have not seen alot of them because i seen lots and dont think of just a musical theres lots somant great scenes and actors.

Read carefully and you'll know I was referring to the general assumptions that classics are musicals.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature