Be a Supporter!

Why do you do drugs?

  • 3,845 Views
  • 149 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
the-goatman
the-goatman
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 02:57:39 Reply

At 3/21/13 02:27 AM, Xenomit wrote: Weed isn't a drug. It's a plant.

drug
/drÉTMg/
Noun
A substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body, in particular.

So yes weed is a drug because when consumed the active compound within it, THC, affects the body's physiological function. Same with caffeine, same with tobacco, same with alcohol.

SCIENCE AWAY!

CresIsis
CresIsis
  • Member since: Dec. 13, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 03:04:25 Reply

At 3/21/13 02:57 AM, the-goatman wrote:
At 3/21/13 02:27 AM, Xenomit wrote: Weed isn't a drug. It's a plant.
drug
/drÃo/ooTMg/
Noun
A substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body, in particular.

So yes weed is a drug because when consumed the active compound within it, THC, affects the body's physiological function. Same with caffeine, same with tobacco, same with alcohol.

SCIENCE AWAY!

You share my tendency to pull out online dictionaries in order to prove a point.

I applaud you as you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Why do you do drugs?


~Sweet memories of us I do recall~
~Dear angel please come back before I fall~

BBS Signature
morlockcleric
morlockcleric
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Writer
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 04:06:30 Reply

Heroine, its like the best sex you've had times by a thousand.


rar

BBS Signature
swiftstylerX
swiftstylerX
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 04:21:17 Reply

Why does anyone do anything? Because we don't live for very long. We will all eventually die and we won't remember what we did with our little time here anyway. Might as well have fun while you're here, rather than being Mr. Straight Edge and earning a hundred pointless bachelor degrees in order to make his family more rich and fuck over the poor some more.

And to the asshole who says he'd never befriend a stoner, you really need to ease up. Sure, some drug addicts can be dangerously insane lunatics, but most of them are just puffin' on some funny smoke and have awesome stories to share.

CresIsis
CresIsis
  • Member since: Dec. 13, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 04:24:44 Reply

At 3/21/13 04:21 AM, swiftstylerX wrote: Why does anyone do anything? Because we don't live for very long. We will all eventually die and we won't remember what we did with our little time here anyway. Might as well have fun while you're here, rather than being Mr. Straight Edge and earning a hundred pointless bachelor degrees in order to make his family more rich and fuck over the poor some more.

And to the asshole who says he'd never befriend a stoner, you really need to ease up. Sure, some drug addicts can be dangerously insane lunatics, but most of them are just puffin' on some funny smoke and have awesome stories to share.

tl;dr dis guy talkin all bout YOLO.

I see no problem with this way of looking at things - I've always set out to make the world my oyster and always have. I simply haven't found my happiness in drugs.

Why do you do drugs?


~Sweet memories of us I do recall~
~Dear angel please come back before I fall~

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 05:18:21 Reply

I use caffeine because it wakes me up, and endorphins because they make me happy, and melatonin because it's relaxing.

372
372
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 05:57:40 Reply

At 3/21/13 02:38 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 3/21/13 02:32 AM, 372 wrote: The opium poppy plant is a plant too
Want to know what drug that plant makes?
Yes, you take poppy seeds and turn them into a drug

You have to chemically do stuff to it to get it that way, it's just a plant before you do all that stuff to it

If you interested in learning about drugs in a realistic setting you should try Erowid
It may seem biased at first glace but read, its just people with stories.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 06:08:33 Reply

At 3/21/13 05:57 AM, 372 wrote: It may seem biased at first glace but read, its just people with stories.

Just? Stories are the most interesting thing.

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 07:47:22 Reply

lcohol erase the world


Sic semper amicitia!!!
Ambient Music Club.
Sig by Illicit, thankies ^_^

BBS Signature
Dragen
Dragen
  • Member since: Apr. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Animator
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 09:34:44 Reply

I don't do drugs and I've never had a good enough reason to start doing them, besides it would be too difficult to get them around here.


BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 09:49:18 Reply

At 3/21/13 04:21 AM, swiftstylerX wrote: Why does anyone do anything? Because we don't live for very long. We will all eventually die and we won't remember what we did with our little time here anyway. Might as well have fun while you're here, rather than being Mr. Straight Edge and earning a hundred pointless bachelor degrees in order to make his family more rich and fuck over the poor some more.

Id rather do that since its actually fun lol. Drugs have only ever been boring. Plus it would be out of spite.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 09:59:08 Reply

mainly just to see what it's like to have an altered state of mind.


lel

Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 12:05:15 Reply

Why do you think a fetus is a baby? Are you high?

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 20:38:10 Reply

At 3/21/13 05:18 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: I use caffeine because it wakes me up, and endorphins because they make me happy, and melatonin because it's relaxing.

Essentially what I gather is that many people do drugs simply because they're bored? Is there really no better use of your time than sit down and smoke weed? I find such a hobby to be seriously, well, pointless as all get out, it helps no one in any way, not even yourself. You might as well sleep if that's your reason. Videogames and music and tv are entertaining and can be informative, they persist of plots and can be very thought provoking or give you something to talk about or even expand your knowledge on certain topics. After doing drugs you just sit down and laugh at yourself. It's the largest waste of time I've ever heard of but hey, I suppose if its just you laying in your bedroom it's not too bad. Not for me at all though.

Also, don't use drugs to make yourself "happy", that's not happiness, it's just pleasure. Like eating candy or having sex with a prostitute, it's nothing but pleasure seeking and the worst thing you can do for yourself is mix the two up. Happiness is derived from accomplishment, it's what stays and lasts long after what you have done is accomplished like having a career you love or a starting a family. Nothing stays after the high is over or the pants get zipped up or the candy is all eaten. Which is why people come back for more, they believe if they keep doing it, they'll never feel not "happy". That's how addictions start and destroy lives, and then where's your happiness? If you must do drugs, I'd much rather it be occasionally out of boredom than to try and keep yourself "happy".

Finally, I'm surprised to hear a few of you actually confirming the "gateway" drug theory about weed. You started on that, and then expanded to bigger and harder substances, and one user's friends even became heroin addicts, that's just a damn shame but its what you have to expect when you tango with mind altering substances with addictive chemicals. Which is a pretty strong point against not allowing Weed to be legalized, you start on it and then one day take of the training wheels and do some other harder drugs which might end up rolling you off a cliff, sure a lot of you guys can be responsible with your drug consumption, but then look at this other guy's friends all addicted to a life destroying substance.


Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 20:44:11 Reply

At 3/21/13 04:21 AM, swiftstylerX wrote: And to the asshole who says he'd never befriend a stoner

Right, I'm an asshole for not wanting to be around people who do drugs just to feel good

Why do you do drugs?


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
CresIsis
CresIsis
  • Member since: Dec. 13, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 20:52:21 Reply

At 3/21/13 08:44 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 3/21/13 04:21 AM, swiftstylerX wrote: And to the asshole who says he'd never befriend a stoner
Right, I'm an asshole for not wanting to be around people who do drugs just to feel good

"I want more slaves MaMa!"


~Sweet memories of us I do recall~
~Dear angel please come back before I fall~

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 20:52:38 Reply

At 3/20/13 10:47 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: What does it do for you?

It helps me relax.

Why do you do it?

I started using drugs at a young age to cope with anxiety. Later it just because fun. Drugs are pleasure.

Does the price of doing it justify the effects?

Do you mean the money or the toll on my body?

The long term physical effects of quite a few drugs are minor enough for me to consider negligible. Those are the drugs I use. $5-30 a week isn't a bad price to pay for a huge boost to my happiness.

How often do you do it (habitually, occasionally or rarely)?

I use something at least once a week. Lately it's been more like 4 or 5 times a week.

and, Is it just a form of temporary escapism or simply the desire to artificially feel the sensation of happiness or calm?

Both.

my life isn't so bad I need an escape mechanism

Mine isn't either, but everyone practices escapism.
Don't tell me you don't daydream, play video games, watch TV, or read.

The first three have as much utility as any drug.

nor do I wish to have my emotions manipulated artificially

If it's positive why not?

What does it offer you that is better than sobriety

Relaxation. I don't feel socially competent unless I do drugs.

(if habitual) and if done occasionally, to what extent do these effects prove superior to say, drunkenness?

Alcohol is a drug. I don't do it because it's less healthy than the other drugs I do, and the hangover is shit.

Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 21:04:56 Reply

At 3/21/13 08:38 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: Also, don't use drugs to make yourself "happy", that's not happiness, it's just pleasure.

The whole problem with the way you view the subject is that you see in extremes.

"Why don't you get hobbies and work hard to accomplish something instead of sitting around smoking weed."

It's not an either or situation, you can easily do both and many people do. There's plenty of area in between and most people that use drugs fall in there.

Pleasure is still important, escapism is still important. You may think that it's meaningless but it sure doesn't feel that way and that's what matters.

At 3/21/13 02:38 AM, Xenomit wrote: You have to chemically do stuff to it to get it that way, it's just a plant before you do all that stuff to it

Bullshit. You can smoke natural opium and it's still very bad for you.
Whether or not a drug is "natural" has absolutely nothing to do with how healthy it is.

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 21:22:17 Reply

At 3/21/13 09:04 PM, Entice wrote:
At 3/21/13 08:38 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: Also, don't use drugs to make yourself "happy", that's not happiness, it's just pleasure.
The whole problem with the way you view the subject is that you see in extremes.

"Why don't you get hobbies and work hard to accomplish something instead of sitting around smoking weed."

It's not an either or situation, you can easily do both and many people do. There's plenty of area in between and most people that use drugs fall in there.

Pleasure is still important, escapism is still important. You may think that it's meaningless but it sure doesn't feel that way and that's what matters.

Although I disagree, I certainly see your point. Thanks for thoroughly answering my questions mate. And I do suppose it is possible to juggle drugs and hobbies at the same time. Those comments were more for the "extremes" type of drug user whose whole life revolves around getting back to hitting the bong because they have nothing better to do and because they never try to get a life (or a better one), which is really a fault of the person rather than the drug.

Also, Xenomit, I can respect your opinions on drug users but I would have to concur that only certain drug users (i.e. addicts) are the kinds of people you should avoid, because they will want you to get sucked into that kind of lifestyle too. But recreational users, the kind that most people are, are generally fine personality wise. If you don't wish to hit up some drugs from them, you don't have to, and if they call you puss, than its their fucking loss for thinking doing drugs make them cooler than you or in general.


Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
undowenEd
undowenEd
  • Member since: Feb. 5, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Reader
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 23:35:39 Reply

K lets me escape reality

EDUCATIONALWAGON
EDUCATIONALWAGON
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-21 23:59:14 Reply

At 3/20/13 10:47 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: I honestly want to know. Sell me on drugs, any kind of drugs, like pot and LSD and all that good shit. What does it do for you? Why do you do it? Does the price of doing it justify the effects? How often do you do it (habitually, occasionally or rarely)? and, Is it just a form of temporary escapism or simply the desire to artificially feel the sensation of happiness or calm?

I smoke pot a few times a week simply because it is pleasurable for me and I don't have a problem with it. I only tried because I was curious as to what the effects were, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I'd like to try shrooms or DMT at some point simply for the perspective change they purportedly bring. Everything is just an event when I'm stoned, and it can make a boring day like a snow day or a day off fun.

I'm in high school, with a +95 average and over 10 thousand scholarships to many of the 6 schools I've been accepted to already, drugs don't fuck up your life if you don't let them. Besides coke and shit, stay away from that.


Tweeter and the Monkey Man were hard-up for cash, they stayed up all night selling cocaine and hash.

BBS Signature
ViceFullbuster
ViceFullbuster
  • Member since: Sep. 16, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-22 00:30:39 Reply

Weed is a good relaxant especially after 10 hours a day at work and helps with sleep.

Xanax helps a lot with anxiety and keeps me in a calm relaxed state also helps the day to go by quicker when i'm at work.

Pain killers is fun when you wanna get into something and stayed focused and intense like in a video game or whatever hobby you are currently doing at the time.

That's pretty much the only three for me now a days i used to be a bad drinker but quit that dead pretty much and a few years ago i had spells with coke but i just enjoy my trees and meds now and that's about it. =)

Whatever keeps you happy n sane =)


NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature
jaxxDS
jaxxDS
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-22 00:41:29 Reply

I smoke weed because it kills brain cells and helps me cope.

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Musician
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-22 00:43:41 Reply

drugs ain't that big of a deal unless you're heavily addicted or use them to avoid life

they're like snackfood


trakt|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
ChloBro
ChloBro
  • Member since: Dec. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-22 01:15:26 Reply

Reality sucks.
Escape if you want to, stay if you don't.
That simple.

372
372
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-22 02:11:18 Reply

At 3/21/13 08:44 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 3/21/13 04:21 AM, swiftstylerX wrote: And to the asshole who says he'd never befriend a stoner
Right, I'm an asshole for not wanting to be around people who do drugs just to feel good

No you're an asshole for pre-judging people....when you don't know what the hell you're talking about. People have been smoking weed for thousands of years. It's not like it actually directly makes you fell good, it isn't sex or anything. It gives you a different way of looking at things. It makes a lot of people much more open minded, and they carry that with them once they're done being stoned. How you feel depends on how you deal with that feeling. Some people can get nervous and some people find everything funny.
A lot of people have found that smoking weed makes you feel like you're no longer trapped in your own mind. It helps you see how things could be different, how it is different to each person. It mean's more to some people then just getting high.
Of course I'm a stoner and that's all just a bunch of stoner shit.
I don't really think you're an asshole. To each is own.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-22 04:55:27 Reply

At 3/21/13 08:38 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: Stuff

I was referring to checmicals naturally produced in your body when you exercise/get sunlight. Except for caffeine...

From what I gather people do drugs to escape reality though.

IGreenI
IGreenI
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-22 09:04:14 Reply

I'm trying to find it. I thought I found it once on mushrooms, but that quite possibly was my finger. I know it's there though, I'v3 seen it, and I'm all but positive many of you have too.


I tried, later then.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-22 10:44:03 Reply

At 3/22/13 10:40 AM, CloseThyDoor wrote: OMG, Nobody has mentioned huffing! There's nothing better than sniffing some good old petrol and feeling your brain cells shrivel up as you hear the crazy waah waah noise and have disturbing visions.

huffing sucks

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Why do you do drugs? 2013-03-22 11:02:35 Reply

At 3/22/13 10:44 AM, BumFodder wrote: huffing sucks

huffin' and puffin' and muffins.