Be a Supporter!

Need Va+music For Commercial Game

  • 749 Views
  • 21 Replies
New Topic
StingrayStudio
StingrayStudio
  • Member since: Mar. 9, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-20 17:15:46

Hey guys, I'm Jamie, a commercial indie developer working on my debut title, Project Zero.
(Conceptual trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t7RuBjDqkA)

I have next to no budget for yet a quite ambitious project, which I'm looking for a musician and voice actor for.

I only need three tracks for now, and one voice actor, in addition to those I already have from the generous contributions of various talents on the internet.

However, the things I do need, are quite specific.

Please do understand, if you're hoping for payment, then this is not the project to contribute to, sorry.

As much as it's commercial, I cannot give anyone any "divide" of revenue, as there is little ability to predict this for a debut title. What I can promise, is a free copy of the end product to each contributor and a place in the credits. In addition, you have the right to sell anything you make for this project or use it for a portfolio.

Anyway, onto what I'm looking for:

-A voice actor who with a distinct cinematic/dramatic voice, in the likes of Liam Neeson, but not necessarily an impressionist, just a kickass epic voice ;)

-A fantasy final boss track, similar to Born Anew (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7VCTBn6TjQ)

-Another final boss theme, similar to Bowser's 3D Land Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSZ_eRAeapo)

-And finally a menu theme. No inspiration in particular, be creative!

-Should you have any ideas for music compositions that may help out or have anything already made, let me know about that too!

I understand none of this is an easy task, and I upmost appreciate that. I'm not looking to freeload, I'd like to deliver with my project and ensure all you gamers are getting what you deserve. A massive thankyou in advance to anyone who can help me out, ALL people who contribute for each thing, regardless of whether another version by another user was used, will be credited and receive the end product free.

Feel free to get your submission to me any way you choose.

Many thanks from me for taking the time to read this at the very least, and I hope someone here can help a developer in need here out :)

-Jamie

InYourDreams
InYourDreams
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-20 18:08:12

  • IYD - Dead Hope (July NAC)
    IYD - Dead Hope (July NAC) by InYourDreams

    Song for the July NAC Zombies

    Score
    4.32 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Heavy Metal
    Popularity
    1,218 Views
  • IYD - ...game you'r playin'
    IYD - ...game you'r playin' by InYourDreams

    VG music attempt... nice for a puzzle game

    Score
    4.43 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity
    766 Views
  • GM - Zombies Nearby
    GM - Zombies Nearby by InYourDreams

    New song for my solo Project

    Score
    4.60 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Heavy Metal
    Popularity
    907 Views
  • IYD - Embrace Temptation
    IYD - Embrace Temptation by InYourDreams

    An old song I never got to upload

    Score
    4.56 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Heavy Metal
    Popularity
    416 Views

or if you want, I can do something new for you in one of those stiles, better suited for your needs.
Just pm me if you are interested. I would love to write something new and starcraft-like.

cheers

Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-20 18:26:20

Don't tell me you did all of the stuff in the trailer yourself o.o. This looks incredibly professional, even for indie game standards. Honestly, if that was all your work, I'm speechless.

I'm very much interested in this project and while I don't exactly have any tracks that are what you're looking for at the moment, I would be willing to make some under the condition that I'm able to start in June (since I have A-Levels before then) and the deadlines aren't too strict.

Here's some of my music if you're interested in getting me on-board!

  • Trinity
    Trinity by Step

    A Monster Hunter Tri medley. (8:12)

    Score
    4.48 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity
    5,985 Views
  • Sanctuary
    Sanctuary by Step

    A full-blown orchestral song for the MAC competition. (4:01)

    Score
    4.48 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity
    24,255 Views
  • Polargeist
    Polargeist by Step

    A cold-themed arcade-style drum'n'bass loop for a university project! (1:52)

    Score
    4.20 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Drum N Bass
    Popularity
    1,526 Views
  • Unwavering Assault
    Unwavering Assault by Step

    A rock/orchestral remix of three different Metroid tunes put together into one. (4:35)

    Score
    4.50 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    General Rock
    Popularity
    3,576 Views

As for voice-actors, there's a wealth of them over here!


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-20 18:40:13

At 3/20/13 05:15 PM, StingrayStudio wrote: Please do understand, if you're hoping for payment, then this is not the project to contribute to, sorry.

Have you contacted any publishers for funding? Judging from the trailer, many publishers may be interested in funding the development of this game. The graphics look very professional.

samulis
samulis
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-20 22:11:39

Trailer looks real slick, great job! Not quite sure what genre of music you are going for specifically, but if straight orchestral is what you're going for, I'd be more than glad to help out. Just one question- what is the game about/what's the plot/genre? It was hard to tell from the trailer.

Here are a few of my own already-existing tracks, just to give you a feel for my style and sound when writing dark orchestral. I assume you want custom exclusive (just yours, not put up anywhere else) music for your game.

  • Opening Theme 4
    Opening Theme 4 by samulis

    Cliche epic game music for a menu.

    Score
    4.34 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity
    333 Views
  • {AoW- Omaha} Battle Theme
    {AoW- Omaha} Battle Theme by samulis

    Nice dark battle theme for a game.

    Score
    4.43 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity
    597 Views
  • Dark Battle
    Dark Battle by samulis

    A dark and warlike loop with warlike intent.

    Score
    4.37 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity
    970 Views
  • The Noble Cause
    The Noble Cause by samulis

    Heroic loop for a game.

    Score
    4.40 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity
    1,558 Views

Let me know if you're interested! Good luck on the project, looks like it'll be great. :D


My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-20 22:50:55

That trailer, I'm not convinced it's all original content considering certain aspects that seem out of place - the sound design is bad, it's unusual for something of that quality to have such bad sound design with it, then there's the "most anticipated" etc hype, and yet the video has less than 200 views.
The most anticipated indie game this year is probably Starbound. Just saying. :)

As for music:
https://soundcloud.com/metalrenard/danger-in-the-realm-1
What about that?


Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 01:27:44

To make it clear

NONE OF THIS VIDEO FOOTAGE IS HIS OR HIS WORK.

I will prove this and more in just a second.

On top of that he claims he can't do rev share or even pay you after the project is released. Really? What is the danger of doing rev share on a project? He can't LOSE money and the things he's asking for demand a very high skill to accomplish.

Herp Derp make AAA quality music for my shitty videos and I give u nothing but hey you can sell it later if you want.

I mean even this video is a complete mess of random game/movie footage. In one moment we have a giant spider mech, then we have a girl playing piano and a guy playing bass (with way different graphics), then suddenly we're in space. I MEAN IF YOU LOOK AT 0:16 IT EVEN SAYS BOTTOM RIGHT IT'S AN EFFECT FOOTAGE FROM BLENDER.

As for proof I don't even have to say anything. I will merely supply the links and let the rest of you draw your conclusions.

the legendary Stingray Studio site : Site
Stingray "Studios" dev blog : Dev Blog

Members of this no girls allowed club : Founders

The great co-director : https://www.facebook.com/george.k.hudson
Founder himself : https://www.facebook.com/jamie.towns3nd

George Hudson even has his own gaming blogwhere he is, and I quote "a 15 year old who enjoys playing video games."

oh and here is another video footage of their last greatest project that went really far. Link

There we have it. If you guys really want to waste your time on this, by all means submit away. As for you mister Jamie, don't steal other people's clips, put them together in a shitty collage of failure and then start ranting about the great indie game project which will both never exist or will even get started.

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Member since: May. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 01:33:13

At 3/21/13 01:27 AM, MaestroRage wrote: As for you mister Jamie, don't steal other people's clips, put them together in a shitty collage of failure and then start ranting about the great indie game project which will both never exist or will even get started.

awww man wait waaaat? someone would pretend to be cool on the internet?? no freaking way.

can I get an "oh snap?"

Need Va+music For Commercial Game

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 02:58:04

At 3/21/13 01:27 AM, MaestroRage wrote: To make it clear

NONE OF THIS VIDEO FOOTAGE IS HIS OR HIS WORK.

Awww... you didn't let him try to pull it off for a bit longer...

StingrayStudio
StingrayStudio
  • Member since: Mar. 9, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 03:21:20

Thanks for the compliments guys.

As for those of you who are apprehensive, I understand entirely.

The variety of clips is mainly because of the fact it's a conceptual trailer

The reasoning behind the text in the bottom right? Because I felt to credit the person who did the early render for me

Sound effects? This is a work in progress, these are only placeholders for now.

The falsified anticipation? Because I wanted to showcase the potential of such a project. Though rest assured the quotes are genuine.

Most of the renders were in actual fact done by myself, so I appreciate you may be critical of all this, but rest assured, I'm not a thief or a fake, I'm a genuine developer.

I'm not seeking out to steal from anyone, not freeload with this music, it's because there's absolutely no way I can be sure of its success, since its my first published game. I am sorry if anyone feels this way in regards to my project, but for those of you who still have faith in me, I assure you, you are not being fooled.

For those of you who elsewhere, thankyou for helping out, I'll try and message each of you.

StingrayStudio
StingrayStudio
  • Member since: Mar. 9, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 03:57:05

And as for that Facebook page, it appears to be a fake, I'll inquire about its removal, must be some kids who think they can get away with passing it as their own. Though their link was a genuine one to that project yes, it wasn't commercial nor was it reminiscent of my current ability.

Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 07:08:49

Thanks for that post MaestroRage.

Listen, I'll still be interested in working with you, however I shouldn't have been so assuming at the beginning by thinking that all of those graphics were made by you. Since they were not, I have no proof that you're not just here to pass someone's time by asking him/her to make music for a game that might not even exist. I'll only provide custom music if I see actual screenshots and prototypes of a solid game in the works and if I deem it likely to be completed.

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post; the idea of people making free music for a game that will be sold is very sketchy. I don't see the problem of giving the musician(s) and voice-actor(s) a cut of the revenue; the deal doesn't necessarily have to be done with a fixed payment at the beginning.


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 10:16:56

At 3/21/13 03:21 AM, StingrayStudio wrote: Sound effects? This is a work in progress, these are only placeholders for now.

No. Sound Design. The way the whole thing is put together sonically. Sound effects is just the tip of the iceberg, sound design is also how you mix it all in together, how you create an atmosphere using sound etc.

At 3/21/13 07:08 AM, Step wrote: Also, I forgot to mention in my first post; the idea of people making free music for a game that will be sold is very sketchy. I don't see the problem of giving the musician(s) and voice-actor(s) a cut of the revenue; the deal doesn't necessarily have to be done with a fixed payment at the beginning.

Yeah, it's odd. Not sure what the OP is really expecting considering he has nothing to show as of yet anyway.

StingrayStudio - You need to sort this out quickly before it gets worse. Get rid of the trailer or stop claiming it's a trailer of your game (because it isn't) and research into your games potential revenue so you can offer real numbers rather than expecting others to do stuff for nothing.


Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Member since: Nov. 5, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 10:51:21

My first reaction to this was, "Wow! I want to be a part of this!" Then I immediately was concerned about the fact that given the seemingly high production value, no monetary compensation is being offered for music. It's unrealistic and even insulting. Games of far lesser "quality" have fair wages for musicians built into their budgets, so this is a big red flag for me.

Thanks @MaestroRage for the links as well. Even if this was legit, I don't think I'd work for someone who has the capability of producing a high quality game but won't pay a professional to do music properly.

btw, who is WB21 anyway? And who would give a 10/10 for "A highly anticipated game" that has yet to be released? Go spend your time elsewhere people...

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 11:26:27

At 3/21/13 10:51 AM, bassfiddlejones wrote: btw, who is WB21 anyway? And who would give a 10/10 for "A highly anticipated game" that has yet to be released?

WB21 is "TheAnimusGamer", aka George Hudson his own co-producer.

Proof's in the pudding, check out the gaming blog, bottom of the page

Email:Wolvboy21@gmail.com <---aka WB21
YouTube:TheAnimusGamer
Twitter:www.twitter.com/TheAnimusGamer
Facebook:www.facebook.com/TheAnimusGamer

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 39
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 12:08:32

At 3/21/13 03:57 AM, StingrayStudio wrote: The falsified anticipation? Because I...

You put your foot in your own mouth. Where's your credibility now?

JosephAS1
JosephAS1
  • Member since: May. 22, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 12:11:51

Well, I've made some stuff like that...
"Futuristic Epic Action-ish" music is not my favorite branch of music of the cinematic-videogame music....
But.... here's small demo about what I can do about this topic (:

https://soundcloud.com/josephas1/joseph-aldrich-demo

If you like you can come and visit the rest of MY WORK so you can hear my music, style (if needed).

Hope you like it!


Plinkydinkydonk

StingrayStudio
StingrayStudio
  • Member since: Mar. 9, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 13:03:51

The personal attack on myself here, is absolutely ridiculous, I'd be careful treading onto that ground lightly.

I honestly don't care if people hate me because I over-hyped my game way out of proportion. Fine, I made an error there, but it's a human mistake, and will be rectified. I'm sure we can all get over that.

But besides that, there is NO need to bandwagon in such a way.

The content of the trailer is MINE, I either have the license to use said content or it is my own. It needs a lot of polishing, but hey, have you ever seen an indie game in conceptual stage that DIDN'T?

I have addressed this issue and I expect it to not be followed ANY further, as this is just becoming an immature bash on the game.

As for the splitting/money issue, I have virtually no budget I can work with right now, to pay anyone with. If I split, things get very complicated and I don't have the resources to manage said split at this current time, nor is it necessary, as many are willing to do so for free, as I'm not looking for a AAA standard of music, just something I can use for the situation.

I am unsure how much I can stress, that I will not tolerate any further of this nonsense, and if needbe will take action should it get out of hand.

I've overhyped it. That is my only mistake. I should of made it clearer that it was to showcase my potential. Acknowledged and my apologies are sincere. Everything else, either a result of being in the early development stage or the fact you are strongly apprehensive about the project.

The very next comment that I feel is completely unnecessary, I will take action against the owner of it, as I have the right to do so. If you cannot comply with this, I suggest strongly, you do not add to this thread any further. This is no longer constructive criticism, but a personal attack. I do not need to prove using a work in progress screenshot library, as this is much time and effort I must displace in favour of what could of been used in development.

Thankyou to those of you who have already understood me on this (inboxed), and this needn't apply to you.

Now, submissions only please. Proof conditional ones will be ignored, irregardless to my standing with others, as I have done enough to prove the project exists, and needn't waste time to prove to a few that it does.

Again, thankyou to those of you who haven't partaken in this.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 13:17:33

At 3/21/13 01:03 PM, StingrayStudio wrote: The very next comment that I feel is completely unnecessary, I will take action against the owner of it, as I have the right to do so.

You're over-reacting Stingray. That advice I gave earlier should not be taken lightly as you could be accused of "false advertising" and if anything you'd be in the wrong for doing so.
I don't see any personal attacks in this thread, I see people getting upset, sure, but nothing was said about you as a person so take it down a notch. Don't forget, this is an online community, the "Internet", no point getting too wound up by it all.
The only person who can take any real action here is a moderator.

As for music, why is it so difficult to work out a cut for someone who does something for you? You could just put 5 to 10 % to one side for music and share it out between those who give you some.


Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
StingrayStudio
StingrayStudio
  • Member since: Mar. 9, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 13:29:32

And in the unlikely event I need it, where a moderator fails to intervene, I assure you, there are others who will, for future reference.

I understand your point, point being, I have taken this all onboard, and I'd prefer it if people could just stick the topic now that I have done. As a compromise, when I have completed a second trailer (which I aim to be even better), it will ONLY consist of my own renders, to reassure people, and it will not contain misleading titles. This is an error of my own, and I have shown how I will fix this.

I appreciate you were only trying to do the right thing, but it has all been done, so the end of such, I hope, we can set this aside :)

Reason it's so hard to do splits, is because income is a consistent thing, and it's very difficult to keep the 5-10% share going to who it needs to. If in future, I can get this arranged, I will do, but for now, I'm afraid people will have to run under the assumption I can give no pay currently.

I do seriously apologize for this, and would LOVE to support the artists who I am forever thankful for, but it's not as easy as it looks upon a first glance.

Now, I hope we've set aside our differences on that issue, and now those who are interested, can contribute :)

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Member since: May. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 13:35:50

At 3/21/13 01:03 PM, StingrayStudio wrote: The very next comment that I feel is completely unnecessary, I will take action against the owner of it,

"take action". Like you're going to call a lawyer and say some people on the internet are questioning your credentials?

Now, submissions only please. Proof conditional ones will be ignored, irregardless to my standing with others, as I have done enough to prove the project exists, and needn't waste time to prove to a few that it does.

Actually, what's the harm in proving that all this content is yours? Wouldn't that only legitimize you? Personally, if I was showcasing something that was mine, and people were questioning that fact, I would supply proof. Like project files or if I didn't want to give away project files, take a video of yourself with your 3D modeler open and show the work that way. And if you had licensed some of the art like you claimed, cite the sources.

The fact that you're getting so upset, and saying you're going to "take action" against people who further question your legitimacy, only serves make you seem less legit. That's not me flaming you for no good reason, that's common sense.

If you want to be taken seriously, this isn't how you go about it..

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 39
Musician
Response to Need Va+music For Commercial Game 2013-03-21 13:45:17

ZStriefel put it best IMO.