New Topic Respond to this Topic
RamenRider
RamenRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Use of Creative Commons Liscense... Mar. 19th, 2013 @ 01:06 PM Reply

Looking briefly through the forums, I find that there is a lack of creative commons license or my sight is going bad.

So I got a couple of questions:

Does NG emphasize on Creative Commons license (CC)?

How does CC work? Do our members on NG patent/copyright their work or do they rely on the CC license?

Is it just better to protect our artwork with a CC or a patent/copyright?

Newgrounds Profile
DeviantArt

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Use of Creative Commons Liscense... Mar. 19th, 2013 @ 02:41 PM Reply

At 3/19/13 01:06 PM, RamenRider wrote: Does NG emphasize on Creative Commons license (CC)?

Given that the Creative Commons license box is already checked when you submit art to the art portal, I'd say it does.

There is no such Creative Commons license feature in the forum. However if you wanted to license the work you post in the forum, all you have to do is say that you're licensing it under whatever Creative Commons license you want in your post.

How does CC work? Do our members on NG patent/copyright their work or do they rely on the CC license?

Is it just better to protect our artwork with a CC or a patent/copyright?

When you create an artwork it automatically gains copyright protections (as long as it's original). That means that you retain the exclusive rights to the artwork, in terms of copying it, selling it, adapting it, etc.

When you license an artwork under the Creative Commons you're not gaining any rights under copyright. What you're actually doing is giving up some of your rights (licensing those rights) to the artwork to the public. Depending on the license you choose, this can be the right to reproduce your work/post it on other websites, the right to use your work for commercial purposes, etc. All of these rights are given on the condition that you be attributed every time the work is used.

The Creative Commons isn't an alternative to copyright, it's a way of releasing some of your rights under copyright to an artwork to allow the public to use it.

Patents relate to inventions so they don't have anything relevance here.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature