00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KamenRider01 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

solutions for erasing harddrives?

819 Views | 18 Replies

solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 11:14:42

I use D-Ban which is good program but it takes so long. It takes about 7-9 hours to Erase my two 500gb harddrives. Are there any other programs that I can burn to a cdr that work much quicker at erasing harddrives and do a decent job at erasing? Thanks

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 11:25:17

I don't know of any software for that purpose, but it *will* take that much time as it overwrites the information on the drives so it will be impossible for other people to retrieve your private files. If you aren't concerned of this, you could just simply delete the partitions, I guess.

BBS Signature

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 11:35:45

Just format the hard drive obviously

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 11:58:22

Well, do you want to format your HDD before you boot your OS?
As far as I know, you have the option to format your HDD before installing Windows for example.

But if you want to wipe your HDD clean normally, then your OS' standard formatter should do the trick. It does its job.
I've never needed an extra program for formatting a hard drive.

BBS Signature

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 12:19:57

At 3/18/13 11:28 AM, kanef wrote: if you want to erase EVERYTHING (including the windows files that are required for the computer to work) then go to command prompt, type "format C:" and "y" and everything will be baleeted instantly. everything. meaning your computer won't even start. use as a last resort

Will this Method get rid of viruses and spyware? I have something stupid on my pc that isn't being picked up by Avast-Free or Malware bytes that crashes Windows every so often. It says Windows has experienced a problem and then crashes the desktop and than desktop goes back to normal a second later. I hope i dont have a harddrive issue.

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 12:25:39

At 3/18/13 12:22 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 3/18/13 12:19 PM, TheKlown wrote:
if you want to erase EVERYTHING (including the windows files that are required for the computer to work) then go to command prompt, type "format C:" and "y"
Will this Method get rid of viruses and spyware?
Formatting gets rid of practically every scrap of data on the hard drive. Every bit of software, the operating system, every file. Everything.

If it really gets rid of everything, then how come FBI can still find remains of stuff, or is that a Myth to scare people?

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 12:29:19

At 3/18/13 12:27 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 3/18/13 12:25 PM, TheKlown wrote: If it really gets rid of everything, then how come FBI can still find remains of stuff, or is that a Myth to scare people?
What exactly are you trying to hide?

Nothing, but if they can find stuff on your harddrive from a simple erase, what is to say a virus or malware can't survive some how? Get where I'm coming from or no?

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 12:32:08

At 3/18/13 12:29 PM, TheKlown wrote: Nothing, but if they can find stuff on your harddrive from a simple erase, what is to say a virus or malware can't survive some how? Get where I'm coming from or no?

If someone formats their hard drive, nothing is left at all.

BBS Signature

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 12:39:08

At 3/18/13 12:25 PM, TheKlown wrote:
At 3/18/13 12:22 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 3/18/13 12:19 PM, TheKlown wrote:
if you want to erase EVERYTHING (including the windows files that are required for the computer to work) then go to command prompt, type "format C:" and "y"
Will this Method get rid of viruses and spyware?
Formatting gets rid of practically every scrap of data on the hard drive. Every bit of software, the operating system, every file. Everything.
If it really gets rid of everything, then how come FBI can still find remains of stuff, or is that a Myth to scare people?

Yes, it does get rid of everything, but like I said in my previous post, files can still be "retrieved". When you permanently delete a file on your computer, it doesn't really erase it. It just frees up the harddisk sectors to be overwritten by other data.

I don't think it's worth it to erase a harddrive due to malware. I can't imagine why that would be necessary. Just reformat your harddrives like everybody else does.

BBS Signature

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 12:40:03

throw your harddrive in the river

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 12:42:26

At 3/18/13 12:39 PM, KevinHR wrote: Yes, it does get rid of everything, but like I said in my previous post, files can still be "retrieved". When you permanently delete a file on your computer, it doesn't really erase it. It just frees up the harddisk sectors to be overwritten by other data.

You can get stuff on the internet that erases all the freed sectors with one file.

I don't think it's worth it to erase a harddrive due to malware. I can't imagine why that would be necessary. Just reformat your harddrives like everybody else does.

Or antivirus.

BBS Signature

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 12:46:27

At 3/18/13 12:42 PM, BumFodder wrote: You can get stuff on the internet that erases all the freed sectors with one file.

Or antivirus.

That is obviously what he's doing, considering it takes "7-9 hours".

Reformatting has always been (at least for me) the last resort in battling malware. I expect him to already have exhausted his opportunities.

BBS Signature

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 12:49:26

At 3/18/13 12:46 PM, KevinHR wrote: That is obviously what he's doing, considering it takes "7-9 hours".

Clearly not as D-Ban scans and removes files, not replacing them with anything.

Reformatting has always been (at least for me) the last resort in battling malware. I expect him to already have exhausted his opportunities.

yes it is

BBS Signature

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 13:29:53

At 3/18/13 12:49 PM, BumFodder wrote:
At 3/18/13 12:46 PM, KevinHR wrote: That is obviously what he's doing, considering it takes "7-9 hours".
Clearly not as D-Ban scans and removes files, not replacing them with anything.

It doesn't? I have to admit I didn't look up D-Ban, but I'm really surprised if it doesn't do that.

The official website *does* include this description, though: "This method can help prevent identity theft before recycling a computer."

BBS Signature

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 13:32:04

First search up ways to fill your hard drive with junk files and then format it with a right click or simply take it to a computer repait place to have it whipped

BBS Signature

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 13:51:32

Delete the partition and do a clean install of Windows.

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 17:14:40

At 3/18/13 12:29 PM, TheKlown wrote:
At 3/18/13 12:27 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 3/18/13 12:25 PM, TheKlown wrote: If it really gets rid of everything, then how come FBI can still find remains of stuff, or is that a Myth to scare people?
What exactly are you trying to hide?
Nothing, but if they can find stuff on your harddrive from a simple erase, what is to say a virus or malware can't survive some how? Get where I'm coming from or no?

I just got deja vu, have you made this thread before? I had to check the post date to make sure.
Anyway, if you were caught doing something illegal they still have your history and they can access it through your internet provider.
As far as reformatting your hard drive make sure you have a back up of your operating system. If not get Linux until you can afford to repurchase your current operating system.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-18 19:07:29

If I want to erase a particular file, I just overwrite it. I know not all of the previous file will end up corrupted, but it's much more effective than just deleting it.

I would think formatting your computer would get rid of everything, but you might as well toss it in a trash compactor if you're going to do that.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to solutions for erasing harddrives? 2013-03-19 07:00:51

There are no quick ways to really erasing data on harddrives, and they still aren't all that secure if someone really really really wants to extract the data. The best option would be destroying the drive physically, or with strong magnets.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature