New Topic Respond to this Topic
1NerdUnderGod
1NerdUnderGod
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 12:44:34 Reply

For a design class, I'm trying to design a controller, and I need some feedback on what people like and dislike about them. If you guys could take this survey, It'd be much appreciated. I will have to delete any ridiculous answers though, so consider yourself warned. Thanks!

Survey

Finally! A Signature That is Not Legally Binding! My Suffering Is Over!

naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 13:29:32 Reply

I dislike the fact that they're not all mouse and keyboard.

BBS Signature
BleachFanatic12
BleachFanatic12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 14:24:34 Reply

I have not met a single person who has not played a video game before

The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning

Xbox Gamertag: AnyColorYouLike__Wii: 2865 2343 3618 8142_Steam: AnyColorYouLike_3DS Friend code: 0001 - 4379 - 0602

BBS Signature
MonoBro
MonoBro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 15:03:49 Reply

I don't suggest adding any extra gimmicks to the controller. As an example - the gyroscope in the PS3's Sixaxis is rarely used; the Wii Remote's controls can often be replaced with an analog stick. I'm assuming your design project is based on cost, efficiency, and ease-of-use, so just keep in mind what you don't need as well as what you do.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 19:09:22 Reply

If this helps:

I liked the Gamecube's controller a lot. It was easy to handle and felt solid and strong. It had lots of buttons, but they were laid out over the controller such that you could get used to them pretty quickly.

I never liked the Playstation's controller much, because the triangle, square, X, circle pad just makes no sense to me. I remember as a kid I always had trouble finding the right button. A, B and X, Y feels more intuitive.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 20:45:53 Reply

At 3/17/13 01:29 PM, naronic wrote: I dislike the fact that they're not all mouse and keyboard.

Could you stop forcing your PC gaming elitism everywhere?

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 23:26:33 Reply

Is there any way to see the results if youre curious?

naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 23:48:10 Reply

At 3/17/13 08:45 PM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote:
At 3/17/13 01:29 PM, naronic wrote: I dislike the fact that they're not all mouse and keyboard.
Could you stop forcing your PC gaming elitism everywhere?

Who says mouse and keyboard has to be strictly a PC feature?
I'm simply stating an opinion, could you?

BBS Signature
TracyJacksonTAW
TracyJacksonTAW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 23:59:45 Reply

it would be interesting to see if people can play all games using a joystick type of controller...imagine the rage that ensue....lol

TracyJackson
The Art of Warfare gaming community Member
Apply into one of our dozen supported clans today! (TAW Clan)

Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 00:08:55 Reply

What about driving games? What about 3D platformers? They work best with an analog stick.

naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 00:12:46 Reply

At 3/18/13 12:08 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote:
What about driving games? What about 3D platformers? They work best with an analog stick.

Okay those are good with analog sticks I'll admit

BBS Signature
BANGsquared
BANGsquared
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 05:53:01 Reply

My thoughts exactly.

// Kongregate // Tumblr // Reddit // Steam //

BBS Signature
simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 08:26:03 Reply

Just filled it in, I've always wanted a universal video game controller. For now I use the PS3 controller on 360.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry || Steam ID: GNS_SimpLe
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218 || Nintendo ID: SCParry

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 09:06:31 Reply

Hah, same here! I did like he GC controller though, that one was surprisingly easy to use even though it had remarkably few buttons compared to regular computer accessories. :) Will partake in the survey though.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 09:53:40 Reply

At 3/17/13 07:09 PM, Auz wrote: If this helps:

I liked the Gamecube's controller a lot. It was easy to handle and felt solid and strong. It had lots of buttons, but they were laid out over the controller such that you could get used to them pretty quickly.

I voted the Gamecube controller as my favorite as well. That thing had the perfect grip and the trigger buttons were pure perfection. Makes me miss mine :(

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
MonoBro
MonoBro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 15:08:46 Reply

At 3/17/13 07:09 PM, Auz wrote: If this helps:

I never liked the Playstation's controller much, because the triangle, square, X, circle pad just makes no sense to me. I remember as a kid I always had trouble finding the right button. A, B and X, Y feels more intuitive.

I liked the Gamecube controller. The only problems that I had with it were with the two sticks. It was a bit difficult to use the C-Stick for instruments in the Legend of Zelda games (especially the Collector's Edition) and it wasn't properly tuned for non-static camera usage. The C-Stick was also much smaller than the analog stick giving it substantially less grip. The analog stick was a bit annoying because of the octagonal shape of the plastic surrounding it - thus keeping the stick from making a perfect circular revolution; a problem the C-Stick had as well - and because of the unnatural grooves.

The Gamecube's face buttons were sized and placed based on how often you used them, hence the A button was so large. I liked that the A button was easiest to hit (and the most often used), the B button was in the second most comfortable place (and the second easiest to hit), and the X and Y buttons were the third most comfortable (and used accordingly).

I would like to see a Gamecube controller that has resized grips, a redesigned C-Stick, a flatter backplate, and a second Z button (functioning as a separate button).

Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 19:02:22 Reply

At 3/18/13 08:26 AM, simon wrote: Just filled it in, I've always wanted a universal video game controller. For now I use the PS3 controller on 360.

That's funny, because I use the xbox controller for the PS3. I can never get used to the playstation controllers after fiddling with my xbox. This survey is pretty cool.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature