00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

deadenddraws just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Video Game Controller Survey

1,370 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 12:44:34

For a design class, I'm trying to design a controller, and I need some feedback on what people like and dislike about them. If you guys could take this survey, It'd be much appreciated. I will have to delete any ridiculous answers though, so consider yourself warned. Thanks!

Survey

Finally! A Signature That is Not Legally Binding! My Suffering Is Over!

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 13:29:32

I dislike the fact that they're not all mouse and keyboard.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 14:24:34

I have not met a single person who has not played a video game before

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 15:03:49

I don't suggest adding any extra gimmicks to the controller. As an example - the gyroscope in the PS3's Sixaxis is rarely used; the Wii Remote's controls can often be replaced with an analog stick. I'm assuming your design project is based on cost, efficiency, and ease-of-use, so just keep in mind what you don't need as well as what you do.

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 19:09:22

If this helps:

I liked the Gamecube's controller a lot. It was easy to handle and felt solid and strong. It had lots of buttons, but they were laid out over the controller such that you could get used to them pretty quickly.

I never liked the Playstation's controller much, because the triangle, square, X, circle pad just makes no sense to me. I remember as a kid I always had trouble finding the right button. A, B and X, Y feels more intuitive.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 23:26:33

Is there any way to see the results if youre curious?

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 23:48:10

At 3/17/13 08:45 PM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote:
At 3/17/13 01:29 PM, naronic wrote: I dislike the fact that they're not all mouse and keyboard.
Could you stop forcing your PC gaming elitism everywhere?

Who says mouse and keyboard has to be strictly a PC feature?
I'm simply stating an opinion, could you?

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-17 23:59:45

it would be interesting to see if people can play all games using a joystick type of controller...imagine the rage that ensue....lol

TracyJackson

The Art of Warfare gaming community Member

Apply into one of our dozen supported clans today! (TAW Clan)

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 00:08:55

At 3/17/13 01:29 PM, naronic wrote: I dislike the fact that they're not all mouse and keyboard.

What about driving games? What about 3D platformers? They work best with an analog stick.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 00:12:46

At 3/18/13 12:08 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote:
What about driving games? What about 3D platformers? They work best with an analog stick.

Okay those are good with analog sticks I'll admit

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 05:53:01

My thoughts exactly.

// Kongregate // Tumblr // Reddit // Steam //

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 08:26:03

Just filled it in, I've always wanted a universal video game controller. For now I use the PS3 controller on 360.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 09:06:31

Hah, same here! I did like he GC controller though, that one was surprisingly easy to use even though it had remarkably few buttons compared to regular computer accessories. :) Will partake in the survey though.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 15:08:46

At 3/17/13 07:09 PM, Auz wrote: If this helps:

I liked the Gamecube's controller a lot. It was easy to handle and felt solid and strong. It had lots of buttons, but they were laid out over the controller such that you could get used to them pretty quickly.

I never liked the Playstation's controller much, because the triangle, square, X, circle pad just makes no sense to me. I remember as a kid I always had trouble finding the right button. A, B and X, Y feels more intuitive.

I liked the Gamecube controller. The only problems that I had with it were with the two sticks. It was a bit difficult to use the C-Stick for instruments in the Legend of Zelda games (especially the Collector's Edition) and it wasn't properly tuned for non-static camera usage. The C-Stick was also much smaller than the analog stick giving it substantially less grip. The analog stick was a bit annoying because of the octagonal shape of the plastic surrounding it - thus keeping the stick from making a perfect circular revolution; a problem the C-Stick had as well - and because of the unnatural grooves.

The Gamecube's face buttons were sized and placed based on how often you used them, hence the A button was so large. I liked that the A button was easiest to hit (and the most often used), the B button was in the second most comfortable place (and the second easiest to hit), and the X and Y buttons were the third most comfortable (and used accordingly).

I would like to see a Gamecube controller that has resized grips, a redesigned C-Stick, a flatter backplate, and a second Z button (functioning as a separate button).

Response to Video Game Controller Survey 2013-03-18 19:02:22

At 3/18/13 08:26 AM, simon wrote: Just filled it in, I've always wanted a universal video game controller. For now I use the PS3 controller on 360.

That's funny, because I use the xbox controller for the PS3. I can never get used to the playstation controllers after fiddling with my xbox. This survey is pretty cool.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature