New Topic Respond to this Topic
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Could we legally use NG forums for? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 06:40 PM Reply

Okay. I noticed that since I've been a member on NG since 2009, I have compiled quite a bit of words. These amount to roughly 123 pages of everything I have ever posted on this website. EVER.

Could I legally copy and paste every post I ever made and turn it into a book?

I don't care if it's a book you would read. I'm not interested in your opinion. My interest is in legal matters. You don't own my words, do you? I would not post anything others wrote. I would just copy and paste every single post I ever made and edit it.

Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Could we legally use NG forums for? Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 02:05 PM Reply

I figured that at least one mod would respond to this. I'm actually planning this, so get back to me.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Could we legally use NG forums for? Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 04:30 PM Reply

At 3/16/13 02:05 PM, Stereocrisis wrote: I figured that at least one mod would respond to this. I'm actually planning this, so get back to me.

Moderators don't really speak for the legal entity that is Newgrounds, since they are just volunteers and are not employed by Newgrounds.

With that said, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do this. You are entitled to everything you post on the website, whether art, flash, music or writing.

ChloBro
ChloBro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Could we legally use NG forums for? Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 05:10 PM Reply

I am interested lol.

You might have to edit, I'm sure you've sound some creepy things.

Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Could we legally use NG forums for? Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 05:29 PM Reply

At 3/16/13 05:10 PM, ChloBro wrote: I am interested lol.

You might have to edit, I'm sure you've sound some creepy things.

Of course my dear. I've been a total douche on purpose most times.

TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Could we legally use NG forums for? Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 09:03 PM Reply

4urentertianment is right. A lot of people post stuff here that is in other places. I know a lot of artist post stuff here and to devient art. On the same tone, writers post stuff from a book they are working on, like myself.
If your still warry and if you havent done this already, check out the terms if use page for NG. For both the forums and your profile. Best of wishes and good luck on your book.

"Zombie of the mind, craves food for thought."

BBS Signature
Kofra
Kofra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Reader
Response to Could we legally use NG forums for? Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 10:46 PM Reply

Newgrounds is public. In the moment you put stuff on here, it can be considered "Internet public media", that means anybody can use the works in here. Exceptions for the people that have a patent of the work (a very small percentage of newgrounds). You can do something that we consider unmoral, but if it's legal, you aren't unable to do that. If you want to compile stuff, just ask to the autors, to avoid future personal discussions.

BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Could we legally use NG forums for? Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 04:35 AM Reply

At 3/16/13 10:46 PM, Kofra wrote: Newgrounds is public. In the moment you put stuff on here, it can be considered "Internet public media", that means anybody can use the works in here. Exceptions for the people that have a patent of the work (a very small percentage of newgrounds). You can do something that we consider unmoral, but if it's legal, you aren't unable to do that. If you want to compile stuff, just ask to the autors, to avoid future personal discussions.

Actually, what I mean to do is compile things I've written. I do not wish to rip anyone off. Just making it clear, nothing would be unmoral about it. I just figured since I usually type walls of text, I could turn everything in to sort of an auto-biography/journal styled book.

Kofra
Kofra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Reader
Response to Could we legally use NG forums for? Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 10:20 PM Reply

Oh, just that? a quick answer: Yes you can.

You made something, you can do what you want with that.

BBS Signature