New Topic Respond to this Topic
ClairBear3
ClairBear3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 01:13 PM Reply

I love playing games most of the times to enjoy the experience, I'm more of a casual gamer that's why I like NewGrounds. Some games although have achievements/trophies/metals/ect. that at times I don't really care for. But I can also understand that they can be great for challenges for the hardcore gamer. Right now I'm very unsure what to think if they are important or just something that's really annoying, mainly it could just depend on the player.

So I wanna ask if it has not been asked here before what people here on NewGrounds think. Great or dumb? And not just here on NewGrounds but also on game consoles and Steam.

BBS Signature
FightItJD
FightItJD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 01:40 PM Reply

Honestly, it shouldn't bother anyone. No point of anyone hating it, because it's not forced upon anyone.

Casual gamers can still play without caring about them. The hardcore gamer can specifically go after them. They really shouldn't be annoying to anyone unless players are started to be forced to get them.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 01:59 PM Reply

Personally, I don't have any objections against achievements in games and do like to collect them as sort of an extra challenge. As long as they don't require too much effort though, I don't want to have to replay the entire game three times over with various handicaps.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 02:00 PM Reply

They're a fun little gimmick for certain gamers. They're not terribly important but they're not hurting the game in any way so I don't see why one should hate them. If you don't like them just ignore them,

Also it is quite the clever way to get more game time out a game for those that achievement hunters. Since some achievements/trophies requires a bit of dedication and multiple playthroughs.

Also, everyone like to feel they achieved something, which is why games are fun to being with, because they make us feel good about ourselves and makes us feel that just achieved something by defeating a boss collected enough gold to buy the in game world three times over and still money to spend on ice-cream. Achievements/trophies are just a form of conformation that "you did good kid".

"Even death can be overcome"

BBS Signature
MacDonaldFin
MacDonaldFin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 02:13 PM Reply

In my opinion, they are fine for both casual and hardcore gamers. Casual gamers can just pick some of them up as they play the game naturally, whereas hardcores can aim specifically for them, adding another element of play for them.

The only time they aren't fine is when you are in a scenario where you absolutely must get them in order to get unlock another section of the game, takes the whole "get them as you please" vibe out and makes them less fun.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 02:30 PM Reply

I disagree with many here, some seem to use difficult achievements instead of actually having content.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 02:39 PM Reply

I don't really have a problem with achievements/trophies in games, mostly because it gives you an incentive to play the game multiple times, and add replay value. Not that we didn't need that before, but it's actually nice to have to get something that we wouldn't think of doing before.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 02:55 PM Reply

At 3/15/13 02:30 PM, Ceratisa wrote: I disagree with many here, some seem to use difficult achievements instead of actually having content.

I agree here. They're fine in principle and in the vast majority of cases, but some games are getting lazy and thinking that throwing a bunch of difficult achievements at a game is enough to make it replayable and add value. If a game is short and nothing is added to a second runthrough other than chasing achievements, then that is just lazy game making in my opinion. Especially if the achievements aren't well thought out- making you play the game in an entirely different way is fine (completing levels with the gravity gun in Half LIfe 2 spring to mind), making you replay levels/games over and over in the same way is not ok.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
robotking98
robotking98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 03:32 PM Reply

I don't care about them one way or another. If I get them while I'm playing it doesn't bother me, but I never go out of my way to earn any.

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 03:48 PM Reply

They add a fun challenge, but I don't let myself get frustrated or waste too much time over them.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
ClairBear3
ClairBear3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 04:01 PM Reply

And just to clear by saying that in my opinion I don't see a point of trophies in a game depending on the game.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 04:18 PM Reply

I find the medals are great motivation, and I've probably played/watched a lot of games/movies I usually wouldn't have just because they had medals. I now automatically favor medal games over those without since it gives a sense of achievement, and adds to my stats, and gives me something to boast about at the same time. :)

I have split views on the whole reward system in modern games though. On the one hand I don't think you should need a reward system to enjoy a game, and on the other hand I do enjoy the rewards. So... not sure what I really think. If medals didn't exist at all? Maybe things would be easier, but now that they're here it's all good!

VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 04:55 PM Reply

I prefer the system of Xbox achievements to PS3 trophies as I like the cumulative score rather than X Platinum, X Gold, X Silver and X Bronze. Overall I like achievements. I try to play through a game for my own enjoyment first just to take everything in. I always come back to try and go through as many achievements as I can on another playthrough and still get a good amount of fun out of it.

Heck, the only games I've got all the achievements in for Xbox are Mass Effect, Final Fantasy XIII and Assassin's Creed 2. There's a fair few I'm nearing full in but there's a couple of trickier ones that I'm missing. Some games like Fallout 3 I'll never get all the achievements in because I refuse to download the DLC (Mothership Zeta in this case purely for lore reasons).

MonoBro
MonoBro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 10:39 PM Reply

A terrible pun popping up after a dramatic moment just to tell me that I beat something, thus stating the obvious, is rather immersion breaking. Achievements and trophies either exist to artificially lengthen a game by making you do something that you would never normally do that does not enhance the story or gameplay, or to reward you for playing the game normally.

The only time I find Achievements/Trophies appropriate is when they involve finding hidden things in the game. I don't need to be rewarded for beating a game a Hard Mode; I do not need to be rewarded for getting a fifty hit combo. If a game developer wants me to play a harder mode or get multiple endings, they should focus on making the game fun enough for me to want to as opposed to bribing me with meaningless points to make me think I got my money's worth in game hours.

BANGsquared
BANGsquared
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 05:00 AM Reply

They are there to put a virtual fence between those who play games casually, just for fun and those who play for e-peen or stat whores.

I, myself, love achievements.

// Kongregate // Tumblr // Reddit // Steam //

BBS Signature
IGreenI
IGreenI
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 09:05 AM Reply

At 3/17/13 05:00 AM, BANGsquared wrote: They are there to put a virtual fence between those who play games casually, just for fun and those who play for e-peen or stat whores.

I, myself, love achievements.

So do I , other than unnecessary MP. I just read they are adding MP to the new Bio Shock....because MP is exactly what single player games need; Tomb Raider anyone?

Oi.

I tried, later then.

naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Opinion on achievements/trop hies? Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 01:30 PM Reply

They're a good distraction to keep the drones buying and playing but I really don't care for them at all.

BBS Signature