Be a Supporter!
Jewelz123
Jewelz123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
How do you... Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 04:49 PM Reply

How do you get back into music after a long layoff? Has anyone had this experience and care to share some wisdom with the rest of us?

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to How do you... Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 05:45 PM Reply

Make sure you warm up properly. 5 minutes of finger drumming on your desk and a good 10 minutes of screwing around mindlessly on a keyboard or guitar will make a good transition and prepare your body for the composing.

Do light stretching exercises between the warmup and the composing.

Since you haven't been composing in a while, start with light pieces and gradually increase the intensity of your compositions over the next sessions. It's important that you don't jump right into a high intensity music making program after a long layoff as you risk overcomposing and also increase the risk of so-called repetitive gain injuries (RGIs).

Drink water before, during and after the production. It often helps with a small meal of fast carbs 10-15 minutes before making music to get your blood sugar and performance up. Follow up with a healthy meal with lean protein and unsaturated fats. You should of course have a healthy and varied diet in general as it is just as important as regular and disciplined music composition.

Making music outside and with friends is a fun and social way to compose that makes for good lighthearted music making. Try making a jazz quartet with 3 other guys and play in the park for an evening, as an occasional alternative to your regular DAW sessions.

Resist the temptation of using performance-enhancing plugins for quick and dramatic progress. While it might make your beats sound fatter and louder for some time, I've heard it makes your Soundcloud player shrink and gives your tracks supersaws after some time.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to How do you... Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 05:47 PM Reply

My point being: what are you talking about, just start making tunes again, what's the problem?

Jewelz123
Jewelz123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to How do you... Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 06:06 PM Reply

At 3/14/13 05:47 PM, Buoy wrote: My point being: what are you talking about, just start making tunes again, what's the problem?

Yes sir!

On another note, thanks for the funny reply dude. I think I'm taking things a bit too seriously, gonna have more fun with tracks rather than thinking about it too much.

Versa
Versa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to How do you... Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 09:49 PM Reply

Not entirely sure if this is a direct connection question to OP's topic, but here goes--how do I begin to make music for NG? I play improvised piano, mostly for myself, and am worried about...well, how to start making music for other people. Is this different? Need I change my mindset? Am I being a paranoid so-and-so too focused on theory and thinking who should just start uploading and see how things turn out?

--Thanks a bunch for any and all comments.

Versa.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to How do you... Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 09:52 PM Reply

At 3/14/13 05:45 PM, Buoy wrote: Resist the temptation of using performance-enhancing plugins for quick and dramatic progress. While it might make your beats sound fatter and louder for some time, I've heard it makes your Soundcloud player shrink

lol!

AetherX
AetherX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to How do you... Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 03:25 AM Reply

At 3/14/13 09:49 PM, Versa wrote: Not entirely sure if this is a direct connection question to OP's topic, but here goes--how do I begin to make music for NG? I play improvised piano, mostly for myself, and am worried about...well, how to start making music for other people. Is this different? Need I change my mindset? Am I being a paranoid so-and-so too focused on theory and thinking who should just start uploading and see how things turn out?

--Thanks a bunch for any and all comments.

Versa.

Making music for other people is boring. The trick is to make music that you love so much that other people end up liking it too. If you can play a decent tune on the piano, that's a good start. Make something you like, upload it, get feedback, improve, repeat.

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--
Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

DrFunkMonkey
DrFunkMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to How do you... Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 03:06 PM Reply

At 3/14/13 04:49 PM, Jewelz123 wrote: How do you get back into music after a long layoff? Has anyone had this experience and care to share some wisdom with the rest of us?

I personally just listen to as much awe inspiring music as possible. Just surround yourself with the music that you love till you get to the point where you have to create something. Watch a ton of movies and play loads of games with awesome soundtracks. My favs include How to train your dragon, American Beauty and Bastion. You just need to get back the drive you had when you first started making music. I had a similar problem during my 3rd year at Uni so i just listened to my favorite bands nonstop and listened to as many incredible soundtracks as possible.

You just need to find what works for you

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to How do you... Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 06:39 PM Reply

At 3/14/13 05:45 PM, Buoy wrote: Make sure you warm up properly. ...

Sublime.

There are some good points in there though, just jamming away on a keyboard can get you into it pretty well. For me it did help to just jot down a basic drum rhythm, then jam along to make a little bass line, then just record a ton of melodies as you jam away. Then you can go ahead and build a song out of these melodies.

I think that might just be a general useful approach though; you don't have to lay out the whole structure of your song and start building the perfect synthesizer patches before you actually have any ideas, regardless of whether it's been a while.

Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to How do you... Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 06:43 PM Reply

I just load up a random VST in my collection and jam along to something until I have an idea to sequence.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to How do you... Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 10:46 PM Reply

after a long hiatus, I usually start by doing covers, and then slowly transitioning back into originals. Making your own take on things is good, too. helps you develop a style. but yeah, covering fun stuff and dicking around with MIDI files.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
Versa
Versa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to How do you... Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 10:25 PM Reply

Thanks, folks!
As soon as your lives are no longer in immediate danger by the invasion of the NegaTentaGirls from the Underworld--I mean, as soon as I get homework and school stresses out of the way--I'll be putting together some music for y'all.

<3
Thanks again for sharing. Much appreciated.