00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NarikoNabi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests

33,370 Views | 78 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 13:44:45

Itching to make a game? Whether you're participating in One Game a Month or just want to try some new tools, we're launching a competition to help get you moving: The Construct 2 Jam!

Construct 2 is a tool for developing HTML5 games with no programming experience required. Check out the Construct 2 website for downloads, tutorials and additional info, or play some games already made with Construct 2!

The theme of the jam is "Touch" - because these are HTML5 games, they will work on mobile devices and tablets. Instead of making something that requires a keyboard, we'd like to see people develop touch-based games! Read this Gamasutra article before getting started, to get your head in the touch game.

The deadline for this competition is April 30th - you can publish your game any time between now and then. Tag your game with "construct2" and "touchjam" so it doesn't go under the radar! We'll feature all entries on a Construct 2 Touch Jam page, as part of our Game Jams showcase.

Prizes:

1st - $200 and Steam key for Construct 2 Business Edition

2nd - $100 and Steam key for Construct 2 Business Edition

3rd-8th - Steam key for Construct 2 Personal Edition

If you purchase the Personal Edition and place in the top eight, you will receive a complimentary upgrade to the Business Edition as your prize.

Supporting members of a winning team (ie Artist) will receive $25 store credit. No limit on team sizes but max store credit for up to two supporting members per team.

This next month will be a great opportunity to familiarize yourself with Construct 2 and decide if you want to upgrade beyond the free version. The Personal and Business editions allow for more complex games and the ability to export as apps for iPhone and Android. All versions can publish as a Windows 8 Metro app or web game.

If you have an HTML5 game to upload on NG, PM ME for HTML5 upload access.

Want to team up with people to develop your game? Check out The Collabinator!

We'll be exploring various ways to make games in 2013 and will ultimately highlight the devs who experiment with the most platforms, soliciting feedback on their favorites. Begin the journey by downloading the free edition of Construct 2, trying some tutorials and making a game!

In other news...

The winners of Comic Jam 4 have been announced! Participants had three days to create a narrative comic.

1st place went to Sockembop and Legolass for their eight page comic, "Seed": [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8]

Second place went to deathink:

Third went to Escalas with this untitled piece.

Thank you everyone who participated in Comic Jam 4 and thank you Aigis for creating and organizing these Comic Jams!

The winners of the Orchestral Audio Contest have also been announced! Here are 1st-4th:

Thank you BrokenDeck for organizing that competition and thank you everyone who made music!

Winners of the Sketchswap Contest have also been announced! There's a lot of art in there so go take a look. The theme was Beauty and the Beast, here are the top three:

Thank you Ornery and ImpendingRiot for organizing the Sketch Swap and once again thank you everyone who participated! Lots of great art in there.

Finally, check out the recent interviews with Sabtastic, scriptwelder and Zombie-Pimp!

Woah that ended up being a lot of stuff. Also Pico Day has been announced although there are no plans at the moment for a party at the office this year.

Ten days remain to contribute to the prize fund for the Newgrounds Annual Tournament of Animation! The bigger the fund, the more people will likely compete!

Ok now I'm done.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 14:01:01

Looking forward to all the stuff being released for the Construct Jam.

At 3/14/13 01:44 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also Pico Day has been announced although there are no plans at the moment for a party at the office this year.

Also you like...need to have a party. Even if its just the staff members (or just you dancing in front of a web cam dressed as Pico, please dear god my life would be complete if this happened).
That and the fact that Pico Day is the most important NG Holiday period.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 14:12:29

Just a heads-up, it's not NG-specific, but there's a new Stencyl Jam going on as well.

:)

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 14:24:09

Sounds interesting!

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 14:37:51

Kinda strange to see Pico Day "moved" again like last year, but exciting nonetheless! Definitely looking forward to it.

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 14:42:01

At 3/14/13 02:12 PM, NoLanLabs wrote: Just a heads-up, it's not NG-specific, but there's a new Stencyl Jam going on as well.

We're planning to have one on NG after the release of Stencyl 3.0!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 14:42:29

At 3/14/13 02:37 PM, LDAF wrote: Kinda strange to see Pico Day "moved" again like last year, but exciting nonetheless! Definitely looking forward to it.

Trying to keep it on weekends so people aren't stuck at work / school.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 16:32:30

At 3/14/13 02:42 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/14/13 02:37 PM, LDAF wrote: Kinda strange to see Pico Day "moved" again like last year, but exciting nonetheless! Definitely looking forward to it.

Let's just have a Pico week Tom... and give all your employees time off to celebrate it... and new company cars too... maybe a personal rub n' tug.

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 16:33:57

Wow, great news!

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]

[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 16:43:04

Sounds like lots of fun!

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 16:55:07

At 3/14/13 04:32 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
Let's just have a Pico week Tom... and give all your employees time off to celebrate it... and new company cars too... maybe a personal rub n' tug.

Nah I'd rather make you work er "celebrate" on a weekend.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 17:34:13

With the help of the Chrome Inspector and a Flash decompiler, I've managed to port part of the Newgrounds API to HTML5.
If I can get this working with Construct 2? Sweeeeeeeeet.

Games, Toons, and Other Escapes From Reality.

NutcaseNightmare [dot] com

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 17:56:29

It's funny, I was just thinking last night how badly I want to make a game. I'm gonna hit up that collabinator, for sure!

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 18:59:15

WOOT! 2nd place in the comic jam! Thanks guys.
Sexy green support badge here I come!

On a side note, all the comic entries where awesome, I was really blown away with golden-monkey15 entry. His comic is very unpolished, but it really exhibits a strong grasp of the visual narrative, composition and over all story telling in general. I was really impressed.

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 19:14:15

Are you still planning on having a regular 2-3 day game jam in the near future?

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 19:23:22

At 3/14/13 06:31 PM, mandog wrote: I hate making HTML5 shit, the code is messy and hard to learn.

Flash is much better.

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-14 23:54:02

I'll be attending to this one Tom! >:D Wait and see~

My art! :D

My Company <3

Stats: Frontpaged 3 times so far!

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 07:33:57

At 3/14/13 06:59 PM, deathink wrote: WOOT! 2nd place in the comic jam! Thanks guys.
Sexy green support badge here I come!

Congrats with your second place! Your comic is awesome. Have fun with your support badge.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 08:41:44

At 3/14/13 01:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Also Pico Day has been announced although there are no plans at the moment for a party at the office this year.

Here's to hoping the moment comes.

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 09:01:52

What a bundle of abundance going on at the same time, nice. :)

I'd be hyped about the Touch tournament if I had a screen I could finger on that would do more than just get smudge marks, but as long as there are alternative controls provided for those without, this ought to be fun. Congrats all winners!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 11:00:31

At 3/14/13 01:44 PM, TomFulp wrote: Itching to make a game?

Well jeez. I wasn't before..

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 11:18:17

At 3/14/13 07:14 PM, MSGhero wrote: Are you still planning on having a regular 2-3 day game jam in the near future?

Yes, still want to do that!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 11:36:21

At 3/14/13 02:42 PM, TomFulp wrote:

I work on weekends...

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 12:05:21

At 3/14/13 06:59 PM, deathink wrote: On a side note, all the comic entries where awesome, I was really blown away with golden-monkey15 entry. His comic is very unpolished, but it really exhibits a strong grasp of the visual narrative, composition and over all story telling in general. I was really impressed.

That really was a charming comic!

LINK

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 12:22:40

Sockembop is on fire! watch out art contests!

fantastic up and coming events, contests and what nots.

shame there's no party this year, still planning on heading over that way in the near future :)

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 16:47:46

Hello! Excited about sharing Construct 2 games! Very cool!

As a Construct2 user, just a couple of questions before jumping in:

1) What format to export/publish - to submit to NewGrounds? (ZIP files, HTML files - dropbox?) or do these need to be PhoneGap or CocoonJS optimized/wrapped?
2) Any "Don't use Browser Object" or "No full screen" stuff we need to know about?
3) Since these are mobile games, I assume WebGL is out of the question?
4) Will these be "hosted" here on NG? Should we make "non touch" versions/options so people can play them from a computer w keyboard to check them out? (it's not hard to do, just want to make sure the instructions include keyboard as well)

Awesome! Thanks!

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 16:57:23

At 3/15/13 04:47 PM, scobot wrote: 1) What format to export/publish - to submit to NewGrounds? (ZIP files, HTML files - dropbox?) or do these need to be PhoneGap or CocoonJS optimized/wrapped?
2) Any "Don't use Browser Object" or "No full screen" stuff we need to know about?
3) Since these are mobile games, I assume WebGL is out of the question?
4) Will these be "hosted" here on NG? Should we make "non touch" versions/options so people can play them from a computer w keyboard to check them out? (it's not hard to do, just want to make sure the instructions include keyboard as well)

1) Our system accepts an upload as a ZIP file, where the index.html is in the root of the ZIP.

2) No limitations off the top of my head.

3) GOOD QUESTION... We should really have another jam that lets people show this off. I'd say no one would be disqualified for using WebGL but the goal should be to run well on phones, so it is probably best to avoid right now.

4) Yes they will be hosted on NG and will hopefully work fine with a mouse in place of a finger - let me know if I'm missing a major issue there. You can also provide alternate keyboard controls but if the game plays well with a mouse, that should cover most players.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 17:28:02

How can i add my game to newgrounds?? i need tutorial where i can do this.
Regards

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 17:39:28

So, when submitting as a team, it has to be done under one single username, right?

I'm also wondering if there are any additional guidelines, like the desirable screen size, etc...

Thanks

Paulo

Response to Construct 2 Jam & Other Contests 2013-03-15 17:51:23

At 3/15/13 05:28 PM, delgad3do wrote: How can i add my game to newgrounds?? i need tutorial where i can do this.
Regards

I currently need to give you access, which I just did. On this page:
http://www.newgrounds.com/pojects/all/submitYou should see a field to upload a ZIP. The system expects to find an index.html in the root of the ZIP. You can preview before publishing to make sure it works!

BBS Signature