New Topic Respond to this Topic
Answerer
Answerer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
A long way to go. Let's shorten it. Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 03:52 AM Reply

So, uh...I said to myself that I wouldn't come here until I was good enough to have my work be seen by people who would leave their judgements.

But now I see that my inability to draw well is precisely why I need to post here. I think. I dunno. I guess I just got tired of running from myself. Now I'll open this thread to any criticisms/comments on my artwork or me. Or whatever.

Sorry, didn't mean for my first thread on NG to be so melodramatic. Actually was planning to open this thread with a bunch of self-demeaning jokes and crap, but eh. Tired of it. So yeah, here's this piece I'm working on. Rip it a new one for me, will ya? ^ ^

By "new one", I mean ass.

A long way to go. Let's shorten it.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to A long way to go. Let's shorten it. Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 04:09 AM Reply

Welcome.
its good to see that you are trying to at least take that first step in helping your improvement. That alone deserves some commendation. Don't bee too hard on yourself either. a little realist streak is a good way to keep yourself grounded, but too much will push you to be pessimistic and then you'll be noshing on the end of a gun barrel, and those things contain an unhealthy dose of lead.

This first pic is a bit rough, but thats alright. although being loose in the sketching stage is fine, you will need to tighten it up a little when you try and get a more final piece out.
And damn that guitar has a long ass neck.
Here is a solid pro tip. Get some photo reference, and don't be ashamed to use it. Google Image Search is your best friend, I promise. Sure its best to actually have live models and objects, but lets face it, we can't have the whole universe in out art studio, trust me I tried. So use photos.

Work on the composition a bit. Looking at this pic. I see a big blank space on the upper 3/4 if the composition.
Learn the rule of thirds, yes its a camera trick, but as we draw, aren't we just pretty much taking a picture with out pencils?

Work on the proportions a little and you'll be on your way. Th proportions of the girl playing the guitar has some wonky arms there. One is a good bit longer than the other. I used to preach about learning anatomy, and although that is very, very important and you should learn it, I realized that good proportions and composition can make up for lack of anatomy and such.

Anyway, you have a start there, and you already seem to have a couple miles of the path walked, so you just got to keep going down that road, but I will warn you, the journey has no end, and if you so choose to go down that rabbit hole, it will be one of the hardest things you'll ever do, it will consume your entire life, and in the end, you'll have an amazing adventure that was your life and your only regrets will be that you couldn't have started the pain and suffering sooner, and that you can't go back to do it all again.

Carry on soldier.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Answerer
Answerer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A long way to go. Let's shorten it. Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 02:35 PM Reply

At 3/10/13 04:09 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Carry on soldier.

Haha, never thought I'd get a reply so soon. Thank you, though, I think I needed that. The arms were really bothering me, and thanks to you I now know its the length that was the problem! Hopefully I can fix it up enough to look half-way decent. Same with da guitar.

And yeah, I think I will continue to walk this path. It seems like a fine place to be.

Answerer
Answerer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A long way to go. Let's shorten it. Mar. 19th, 2013 @ 07:07 PM Reply

Oh jesus, look at me. Preachin' all about increasing my skills when I haven't even posted anything in 9 days! Well that's okay, because I'm gonna make up for it with this!

Voila, a loose sketch that took me over an hour to do because I can't draw hats. Or bodies. Or heads.

I hope you are content with generic tropes of detectives grinning and standing complacently, because I sure as heck am not.

Answerer
Answerer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A long way to go. Let's shorten it. Mar. 25th, 2013 @ 09:36 PM Reply

Ehh, just some rough sketches of a Peacock-rip-off through various stages of her life. I wanted to, for once, sketch a character of the stories in my head that I never get around making. So, I guess even if I toss the story out, at the very least I've gained the balls to do some concept art. On a side note, that stiff boxer pose bothers the heck outta me.

I hope this doesn't count as useless Newgrounds spam. Sorry if it does.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to A long way to go. Let's shorten it. Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 12:31 AM Reply

At 3/25/13 09:36 PM, Answerer wrote: I hope this doesn't count as useless Newgrounds spam. Sorry if it does.

As long as you're posting some artwork every time, just post away. Post post post :)

Answerer
Answerer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A long way to go. Let's shorten it. Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 06:56 PM Reply

Eh, just a rough sketch for an art poster I'm doing for school. Or, ehem, should of done >.>.

Critiques are always welcome!

Nempatriarch
Nempatriarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to A long way to go. Let's shorten it. Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 08:18 PM Reply

I think your sketches are great!!

As the other guy already said, i'd recommend you to use photos for reference. See it as a way of training yourself about anatomy, proportions, some intuitive perspective and even a little bit of technique if you are willing to try.

Copying from photos is great. You dont need to copy a pose and then draw on top, what you should do is to copy hundreds and thousands of different poses and body features. Thing is you cannot draw something you dont know, and to get to know the human anatomy, you have to see it, and reproduce it over and over. It will be recorded in your mind and in your muscular memory. Once your brain comprehends the volumes and overall rules of the human body, and your hands know what the hell is needed to draw those lines, you'll be one step closer to be a great artist. Of course, if you manage to get live models, better.

As for technique, you can also experiment on your own but i'd recommend tutorials, videos or actually tutors, since the technical part is always a set of rules to get the hang of more than something of expression and meaning. Read about different materials, color theory, perspective, layouts, etc.

The last part is the artistic part, your sensibility. If you wish to be a designer, i guess there's no need to invest that much time in this department since your job would be design with functionality in mind. You do a character like this or that and thats it. Otherwise if you wish to go to the more artistic meaningful path you need to study. Study art history, study artists, read and read more until you get it. This is the part where you learn without touching a pencil, its entirely inside your head, you have to develop your artistic sensibility, and there is no right and wrong. Is the most subjective part, you can be either acclaimed or rejected, regardless if people actually gets your message and the meaning behind your work and expression. And of course this is the kind of art that will make you feel more rewarded, since ,supposedly, you wont be doing it for money or for commercial purposes. You would be making actual art. And art, for me, is the exploration of the very nature of mankind and the exploration of the meaning of life itself. I believe that anything you make art from is linked to this ideas, one way or another.

Answerer
Answerer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A long way to go. Let's shorten it. Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 10:01 PM Reply

At 4/17/13 08:18 PM, Nempatriarch wrote: I think your sketches are great!!

Wow, thanks for such a great reply! I have been drawing a bit of figures from life, but no where near the thousands that you recommend. Guess I should get a crackin' on that. I'll try taking your advice on learning more about techniques and studying the masters. I have a few books on art that I have barely scratched the surface of.

Well, at the very least I'll know what I'll be doing in study hall now. That is, if I don't fall asleep again.

Answerer
Answerer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A long way to go. Let's shorten it. May. 13th, 2013 @ 06:54 PM Reply

I really hate to ask seeing as I've contributed absolutely zero to the community (due in part to my lack of faith in my ability to criticize anothers work properly), but if I may ask, how do you personally go about coloring? I placed an unnecessarily embarrassing amount of hours into this just completely lost, and accomplished absolutely zero. As ashamed as I am of this piece, I felt it might do me more good than harm if I posted it here, so I could at the very least know what I did wrong.

Answerer
Answerer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A long way to go. Let's shorten it. Jul. 8th, 2013 @ 05:39 AM Reply

Oh, hey, look at that. I'm alive, yay! Let's try to color, shall we?

*colors n' stuff, churns out results.*

...So, hey, look at that. Disappointment on a Canvas.

I think I'll go back to being dead again. Buh-bye now. Y'all stay good, ya hear?