New Topic Respond to this Topic
drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 11:44 PM Reply

Page 4. Last one. Welp I guess this will be a nice daily exercise for me, if not daily then I hope at least twice a week.

Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 12:07 AM Reply

At 3/14/13 11:44 PM, drakena wrote: Page 4. Last one. Welp I guess this will be a nice daily exercise for me, if not daily then I hope at least twice a week.

Yeah, the 30 second pose offers a nice warm up to get your drawing juices flowing.
However, don't forget to use the individual poses as references for your own pictures when needed.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 01:51 PM Reply

At 3/15/13 12:07 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 3/14/13 11:44 PM, drakena wrote: Page 4. Last one. Welp I guess this will be a nice daily exercise for me, if not daily then I hope at least twice a week.
Yeah, the 30 second pose offers a nice warm up to get your drawing juices flowing.
However, don't forget to use the individual poses as references for your own pictures when needed.

Definitely! That's also something I'm working on, is when I start to draw I need to work from references for now, I'm so used to just going from my head. It's going to be nice because I know the bodies will start looking waaay better. Now to attempt another human...after work :P

monsterparty
monsterparty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 07:11 PM Reply

At 3/14/13 11:39 PM, drakena wrote: I headed to posemaniacs.com today, because I wanted to do the 30-second figure drawings. I shall post what I did, I have 4 pages.

Hey. :)
Great job taking the time to just sit down and practice this stuff. All the studying will definitely pay off.

Just something that might help later on if you decide to attack the gesture drawings again is to think in 3 dimensions. Right now, it looks like you're just outlining what you see. Try to break the body up into individual forms. That way you'll be able to see not just whats visible from your perspective. You'll be able to take a pretty good guess at what's happening on the other side as well and build the rest of the body accordingly. That helps out a lot when coming up with your own dynamic poses and putting them in interesting perspectives. It also helps when just drawing from observation so you can check yourself against your reference.

But yeah. Keep drawing! You've got a great start so far.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 12:01 AM Reply

At 3/15/13 07:11 PM, monsterparty wrote:
Hey. :)
Great job taking the time to just sit down and practice this stuff. All the studying will definitely pay off.

Just something that might help later on if you decide to attack the gesture drawings again is to think in 3 dimensions. Right now, it looks like you're just outlining what you see. Try to break the body up into individual forms. That way you'll be able to see not just whats visible from your perspective. You'll be able to take a pretty good guess at what's happening on the other side as well and build the rest of the body accordingly. That helps out a lot when coming up with your own dynamic poses and putting them in interesting perspectives. It also helps when just drawing from observation so you can check yourself against your reference.

But yeah. Keep drawing! You've got a great start so far.

Ya know...You are so right... I'm a pretty visual/spatially aware person so I think about my drawings in 3 dimensions, but I don't draw them that way...AH MAH GOD thank you so much for pointing that out, that is going to help me tons!
I really appreciate your input!!! Figure drawings, here I come. BITCHESSS.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 12:34 AM Reply

HAYYYY!!! I present, my practice today! I consider this a definite improvement over yesterday's, I DID however up the time from 30 sec to 60 sec per figure, but I really wanted to spend more time working up my confidence on form. I feel 60 seconds is the perfect amount of time for what I'm trying to accomplish right now; one day I shall move up to 30 seconds again :D

BTW hope you don't mind sexy lady bodies, that's all it really wanted to give me today :)

Also huge thanks to monsterparty for the tip, it was drawing those few extra lines to show the mass of the figure & it's body parts that is helping me out quite a bit!

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 12:36 AM Reply

nummer zwei. I only did 2 pages today, but I am really excited by the results so I'll just leave it that for today. I am so ready to continue this tomorrow!

GUTEN NACHT

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 17th, 2013 @ 01:24 AM Reply

Skipping a "real" update today, I've got to watch a horror movie & go to bed.

I'll leave this here though.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 12:48 AM Reply

Yay! Another update, definitely had to do something tonight as I slacked a bit last time :)

This is page 1 of 4 pages.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 12:50 AM Reply

Page 2; once again these are done with 60 seconds. I think tomorrow I will decrease the time a little because I found myself finishing the poses before the time went up :D

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 12:51 AM Reply

Page 3

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 12:54 AM Reply

Page 4. Nighty night.

I just realized, that pose on top looks like she is slapping her ass, lol. Good times.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 20th, 2013 @ 04:55 AM Reply

HI EVERYBODY

Alright so I didn't post yesterday, too much Star Trek & tiredness.
And today is half-ass day! Mainly because I'm only a little drunk, so here be the pleasures of my drink/ingness---I did not feel like using a reference, I really just wanted to doodle today. And use color! I just have to say, when I was drawing this & outlinining it, I just kept thinking, "BLUE" so blue it is. Her arms seem fairly wobbly but whatevs. She feels like a mage.

Also HOLY CARP I can't believe how small I keep making legs. I am going to just practice a whole page of small little figures with long ass legs. I mean really now.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 21st, 2013 @ 04:48 AM Reply

Not much going today either. I do have some doodles I did yesterday, some from reference & also me trying & failing really really hard at drawing without reference.

So insteeeead I'll just drop this guy here, bein' all...coy I guess?

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 03:26 AM Reply

Here we are, Thursday. So I drew at work today, it was a really reeeally empty day. All I had was a regular pen, so nothing too fancy, but these were fun at least. Nice to finally flesh out some characters rather than keep drawing very faceless, lifeless poses.

PS I think my leg proportions are getting better!?

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 03:29 AM Reply

YAY I haven't gotten to draw a dragon in ages it feels like. I started with just the chick but then I wanted to draw what she was reaching out to, so... I'll find pretty much any excuse to throw dragons into something :)

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 25th, 2013 @ 12:50 AM Reply

Here is something at least, I made an evil pope.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 25th, 2013 @ 01:46 AM Reply

So I wanted to draw a bunny & some big scarier creature, but then I was like, "man I should really work on anatomy some more..." & so I thought, bunny girl! So this picture is allowing me to use a reference pose & also fleshing out a sketch a bit more than I have lately. Feels good. I'm wanting to at least get this picture to a solid lineart, who knows. Maybe I'll color it.

Also try not to get emotionally invested in her hands, kinda not referenced at all :P

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 28th, 2013 @ 12:24 AM Reply

Hello me, & meh art thready thread! First I will present one sketch, like a really crap one, me trying to be all semi-dynamic with an unreferenced pose & not doing so great! So this is a sketch that I did while at work today & not really trying apparently...

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 28th, 2013 @ 12:27 AM Reply

And then I started THIS one, which is way more dynamic & actually a lot more successful. I know the arms are a bit off, but I drew them like 3 times & then I had to get to customers...Also not sure if the legs really look right but I'm OK with how this turned out for the most part.

It at least shows some improvement :D Fuel to go on!!

gayhobbit
gayhobbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 28th, 2013 @ 01:40 AM Reply

At 3/28/13 12:27 AM, drakena wrote: And then I started THIS one, which is way more dynamic & actually a lot more successful. I know the arms are a bit off, but I drew them like 3 times & then I had to get to customers...Also not sure if the legs really look right but I'm OK with how this turned out for the most part.

It at least shows some improvement :D Fuel to go on!!

I enjoy seeing more art from you! Your forms seem to be working out. I hope you try some portraits.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 04:28 PM Reply

At 3/28/13 01:40 AM, gayhobbit wrote:
I enjoy seeing more art from you! Your forms seem to be working out. I hope you try some portraits.

Thank you for saying so, I feel way more confident in the forms now...and you're right, it is time to tackle some faces!

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 05:20 PM Reply

Here is some face work I did just now, yes I am taking the time on this beautiful Friday to do some work :)

Here is all four, I wanted to focus on details & proportions of the individual faces so that they at least kinda looked like the source. I'll post the individual faces next to their sources after this.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 05:27 PM Reply

Here is the first one, a little girl missing an eye ball, screaming joyfully.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 05:33 PM Reply

Here is the bearded man. Actually from the same picture as that little girl. Also this man is Kerry King.

I keep tilting the faces...

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 05:37 PM Reply

Here is a female. I forget the name but she is the singer of a band somewhere. This one probably turned out the worst of all of them.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 08:10 PM Reply

Another chick, Maria Brink from In This Moment. Once again with the tiltiness. But I think this one is my best attempt at getting the proper proportions for her face & everythings in about the right place. Making her semi-recognizable!

I will work on more like these again tomorrow, ciao.

gayhobbit
gayhobbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 3/29/13 08:10 PM, drakena wrote: Another chick, Maria Brink from In This Moment. Once again with the tiltiness. But I think this one is my best attempt at getting the proper proportions for her face & everythings in about the right place. Making her semi-recognizable!

I will work on more like these again tomorrow, ciao.

The first of the four I find to be very amusing and crazy. The bearded one I think looks the best, you did well at capturing the expression. You're definitely getting better with realism here~

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 11:38 PM Reply

At 3/29/13 08:22 PM, gayhobbit wrote:
The first of the four I find to be very amusing and crazy. The bearded one I think looks the best, you did well at capturing the expression. You're definitely getting better with realism here~

The beard guy is my favorite, especially looking at him without the reference I think he looks like he'd be a great pirate king or something, haha.

So here is another face, this time no reference, just something I did at work. Trying to use the guidelines, I like it except the mouth is all kinds of screwy, maybe later I'll bother to fix it.

drakena
drakena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Drakena's Fantastical Sketchbook Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 11:45 PM Reply

Here's something neat I drew today while trying to nap. You know how you start drawing lines, not really thinking that you are drawing anything with any particular subject or meaning, yet when you finish you realize it does have meaning?
Well played, subconscious.

I enjoyed drawing something that's not a study of some kind, this was done in all pen & sharpie, reminds me of another piece I did a while back. I'll have to upload that one too.