00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hello! I want to share my first art

1,786 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This is my first ever art made on a tablet. It started making it literally 2 days after i got my tablet (Wacom Intuos 5). Im a beginner and would like your opinion. I know the face looks bad but I can't really draw faces :( i need some help in that. This image is completely from my head which im proud of. It's the first time I could actually do something out of my head. Before I copied alot of work with pencil. This took me 4 days of drawing 6 hours each day at least. I have many other ideas.

Special thanks to Jazza for helping me with his tutorials on Painting in Photoshop. Thanks! :D

I am looking for advices.
NOTE: i made no background lighting so the shades are coming only from fire.

You can visit my profile (Im new, registered only today :P)

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-03-08 07:22:38

At 3/8/13 06:32 AM, Axonn94 wrote: NOTE: i made no background lighting so the shades are coming only from fire.

Well then, you need to fix things up here, because the shading you have on the body shows that the light source is coming from the middle in front, whereas the fire is outstretched in her right hand.
Also, avoid using the burn tool for shading unless you're really good with it, otherwise it just leaves a mediocre effect.

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-03-08 07:37:34

At 3/8/13 07:22 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 3/8/13 06:32 AM, Axonn94 wrote: NOTE: i made no background lighting so the shades are coming only from fire.
Well then, you need to fix things up here, because the shading you have on the body shows that the light source is coming from the middle in front, whereas the fire is outstretched in her right hand.
Also, avoid using the burn tool for shading unless you're really good with it, otherwise it just leaves a mediocre effect.

Not sure what a burn tool is since I'm all new to this stuff, but I used the Soft Round brush for all the shading. Thanks for advice though. How about body pose? does it look ok? are the proportions right? this is my first time I drew a human like this out of my head.

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-03-08 15:09:52

" Not sure what a burn tool is since I'm all new to this stuff, but I used the Soft Round brush for all the shading. Thanks for advice though. How about body pose? does it look ok? are the proportions right? this is my first time I drew a human like this out of my head."

This is my first post here, and I don't have my drawings up yet, but my impulse would be to lower the shoulders and perhaps widen them ever so slightly. She has no neck and a very narrow ribcage.

Posing... consider rotating the shoulders to the left. Left shoulder back bending the elbow if you still want it forward. I would project the sword back, perhaps interacting with the cape.

So, for what it's worth. Imho

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-03-08 22:54:10

Welcome! First off, I love, love seeing original fantasy costume concepts. It's one of my things, so that gives me a bit of natural interest in what you have here, even if I'm not keen on the practicality of it. Unless she's a dancer/performer of sorts, then it's a little more fitting! The proportions are not bad, but the pose is stiff and awkward. It does not feel natural. I'd start with using photo references for poses until you get a good comfortable feel for them. The lighting is definitely off and not defining her shape much, making her look very flat, especially in the face. I know for a lot of people starting out with fantasy, especially when pushing a particular idealism, are deathly afraid to touch the face with shadows and highlights. Don't. Get out of that comfort zone and add shades and highlights in her face as you would any other part of the body. If you mess up, and you will, we all do, it's a learning experience, not a failure. You'll do better the next try. If you never venture there, your character's faces will just never look natural. Face Lighting Example

I don't know quite what to say with the shadows in how you could fix them. It would definitely require a redo. One thing is if the light was coming from the front like that, she would cast a shadow on her cape, in which you have no cast shadow present, just a weird side shadow that doesn't make too much sense. Don't forget that light bounces (like so), which would help you more in defining the form. Also you need more definition from the skin and the cloth. It looks like most of her outfit is painted on her, rather than fitted.

I hope to see more from you. Also try adding a hint of an environment, even if it's just a ground shadow, so you don't get too many floating characters.

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-03-09 04:20:08

At 3/8/13 10:54 PM, gayhobbit wrote: Welcome! First off, I love, love seeing original fantasy costume concepts. It's one of my things, so that gives me a bit of natural interest in what you have here, even if I'm not keen on the practicality of it. Unless she's a dancer/performer of sorts, then it's a little more fitting! The proportions are not bad, but the pose is stiff and awkward. It does not feel natural. I'd start with using photo references for poses until you get a good comfortable feel for them. The lighting is definitely off and not defining her shape much, making her look very flat, especially in the face. I know for a lot of people starting out with fantasy, especially when pushing a particular idealism, are deathly afraid to touch the face with shadows and highlights. Don't. Get out of that comfort zone and add shades and highlights in her face as you would any other part of the body. If you mess up, and you will, we all do, it's a learning experience, not a failure. You'll do better the next try. If you never venture there, your character's faces will just never look natural. Face Lighting Example

I don't know quite what to say with the shadows in how you could fix them. It would definitely require a redo. One thing is if the light was coming from the front like that, she would cast a shadow on her cape, in which you have no cast shadow present, just a weird side shadow that doesn't make too much sense. Don't forget that light bounces (like so), which would help you more in defining the form. Also you need more definition from the skin and the cloth. It looks like most of her outfit is painted on her, rather than fitted.

I hope to see more from you. Also try adding a hint of an environment, even if it's just a ground shadow, so you don't get too many floating characters.

Wow! Thank you so much for your feedback. To be honest I hate when somebody tells me what to do without any foundation to base it on. But you sir, gave a very constructive feedback and also examples which will help me alot in future!
My next project will I think be a concept art of a scenery. (Houses built into and onto the walls of a huge mountain). It is obvious that practice is required to become a digital artist or any artist, but it takes alot of time especially for me because I'm learning and want to do everything from my head as opposed to copy other's work for practice :/ Well it seems that I have to do it :P

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-03-10 17:16:09

At 3/9/13 04:20 AM, Axonn94 wrote:

:To be honest I hate when somebody tells me what to do without any foundation to base it on.

Well I hope that's not meant for me! lol. I've posted some of my sketches. I would be honoured if you came and corrected my work :/

/bbs/topic/1334985

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-03-10 20:24:01

Nooo I didn't mean you or anyone in this topic :P I meant in general. Anyway, checked your work and am looking for finished projects! :)

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-03-11 13:13:17

At 3/10/13 08:24 PM, Axonn94 wrote: Nooo I didn't mean you or anyone in this topic :P I meant in general. Anyway, checked your work and am looking for finished projects! :)

Ok.

How long you been watching DrawwithJazza? His tutorials are my faves. Mark Crowley does great stuff, but I don't really like using manga style.

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-03-11 21:23:35

At 3/11/13 01:13 PM, Globalist1789 wrote:
At 3/10/13 08:24 PM, Axonn94 wrote: Nooo I didn't mean you or anyone in this topic :P I meant in general. Anyway, checked your work and am looking for finished projects! :)
Ok.

How long you been watching DrawwithJazza? His tutorials are my faves. Mark Crowley does great stuff, but I don't really like using manga style.

Hmmm I've been watching Jazza's vids for like 2 weeks now. And Mark Crilley is how you spell the name >.<. I watch him for almost 2 years now or so. I'm not into drawing manga but I enjoy watching his realism videos. I learned alot from Mark.

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-03-19 06:07:48

Ok, here is my second work.

More details on my page.

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-03-19 09:18:02

At 3/19/13 06:07 AM, Axonn94 wrote: Ok, here is my second work.

More details on my page.

Keep em coming, not bad for second work!

My art thread!

Clicky for my DA!

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-04-11 07:16:06

My third work. I think I learnt quite a bit about digital painting in this one. I am satisfied with it even though it looks barely decent. The more work, the better it gets :P

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-04-11 07:23:57

At 4/11/13 07:16 AM, Axonn94 wrote: My third work. I think I learnt quite a bit about digital painting in this one. I am satisfied with it even though it looks barely decent. The more work, the better it gets :P

Watch the shading again here.
Most of it is alright, because it's obvious the light source is from right above, slightly angled, but the shadow does not line up with that.

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-08-09 15:33:00

Sorry for not posting my stuff, I think this one looks decent enough to show here, so here it is:

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-08-09 15:35:07

Sorry for double post! My image didn't upload and I don't know how to edit it..

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-08-09 15:46:46

At 8/9/13 03:35 PM, Axonn94 wrote: Sorry for double post! My image didn't upload and I don't know how to edit it..

It looks great, I really admire the coloration and atmosphere. The foreground feels very unfinished, you should define and make it crisper as you did with the edge of those rocks and the fountain. The background looks fine.

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-09-15 13:07:15

My brand new painting. I think it looks cool, Do you? ;P

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-09-15 16:42:56

At 9/15/13 01:07 PM, Axonn94 wrote: My brand new painting. I think it looks cool, Do you? ;P

Dude have you been in a time machine and practice for years O_O

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-09-15 16:55:23

At 9/15/13 04:42 PM, justsomerandomdude wrote:
At 9/15/13 01:07 PM, Axonn94 wrote: My brand new painting. I think it looks cool, Do you? ;P
Dude have you been in a time machine and practice for years O_O

Haha! I know man.. I can't believe that such improvement is being made with every painting >.< But It keeps me motivated even more! You can see my deviant page (same name as here) and see all the paintings I've been doing up to date. I don't post all of them here :P Only the "good ones at a time" Thanks for the comment! :P

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-09-15 17:09:36

Jesus Christ, you improved like a motherfucker. Maybe I oughtta watch Jazza's videos.

Response to Hello! I want to share my first art 2013-09-15 17:16:27

At 9/15/13 05:09 PM, Jester wrote: Jesus Christ, you improved like a motherfucker. Maybe I oughtta watch Jazza's videos.

Jazza is really good but unfortunatelly he doesn't do landscapes at all (at least on youtube). He helped me getting acustomed to photoshop and (How to draw Boobs was very important too! xP) Basically I started off thanks to him. Later I just got my own style, favourite brushes, preferences. It all shapes up by practicing from my head. :P I tried using references sometimes but I never could get over the idea that I would be copying somebody else.. So all my paintings are straight from my head.