Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

Trapex
Trapex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Writer
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-07 23:26:06 Reply

Can we just agree that the whole always-online deal was a bad idea in the first place? Diablo III had a bad start, and now Sim City has had a bad start.

If you guys really want a game that's a simulated city builder, then go support this kickstarter campaign. It's for a game called Civitas that will not require online connectivity and also has set an extensive goal for themselves.

frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 00:10:27 Reply

At 3/7/13 11:26 PM, Trapex wrote: Can we just agree that the whole always-online deal was a bad idea in the first place? Diablo III had a bad start, and now Sim City has had a bad start.

If you guys really want a game that's a simulated city builder, then go support this kickstarter campaign. It's for a game called Civitas that will not require online connectivity and also has set an extensive goal for themselves.

I couldn't agree with you more. I really hate it when game developers force you to play online JUST to play the game. There is a portion of the population that doesn't even have internet access, so I have no idea why they would limit themselves in that manner.

TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 14:28:18 Reply

Won't get this game until they remove the DRM in it that requires to be connected to INTERNET the entire time you play this single player. Isn't SimCity a single player game?

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.

Patcoola
Patcoola
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Animator
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 14:52:22 Reply

At 3/8/13 02:28 PM, TheKlown wrote: Isn't SimCity a single player game?

No, the game is like Cities XL where you have a world and you build cities and trade resources between cities to help the economy of each city, you can play Co-op or share your city views with friends.

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 15:17:01 Reply

It's a shame this is getting such negative reception. I was really looking forward to this, I guess I can still always buy SimCity for the Super Nintendo.

BBS Signature
TracyJacksonTAW
TracyJacksonTAW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 15:42:50 Reply

the game is actually alright, except for the servers being down so much...

TracyJackson
The Art of Warfare gaming community Member
Apply into one of our dozen supported clans today! (TAW Clan)

Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 16:10:26 Reply

The sad part is, it's actually a great game. It's just that it's nearly unplayable due to the servers being unstable as fuck.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 16:12:43 Reply

At 3/7/13 11:26 PM, Trapex wrote: If you guys really want a game that's a simulated city builder, then go support this kickstarter campaign. It's for a game called Civitas that will not require online connectivity and also has set an extensive goal for themselves.

Or we could play one of the many already existing city buildings games, like Sim City. Sim City 2000, Sim City 3000, or hay, go nuts and play another of the identical sequels.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
k6ka
k6ka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 21:44:23 Reply

Grr... stupid DRM. C'mon Maxis, what happened to you? I like all the things they've added, plus the new game engine, but the DRM totally ruins it. Imagine buying a game, coming home, finding out you can't play it because your Internet sucks and you get disconnected frequently, and when you yell at EA Technical Support, they "Sucks to be you" and lol in the background. GRR.... damn you EA.

JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 22:49:13 Reply

My mom bought the game for herself, she ordered off of Amazon and it hasn't come in yet. Hopefully when it arrives the game will be playable. I really wanna play but hell I could always play SimCity 3000 if all else fails.

Stupid EA....

JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 22:51:18 Reply

At 3/8/13 09:44 PM, k6ka wrote: Grr... stupid DRM. C'mon Maxis, what happened to you? I like all the things they've added, plus the new game engine, but the DRM totally ruins it. Imagine buying a game, coming home, finding out you can't play it because your Internet sucks and you get disconnected frequently, and when you yell at EA Technical Support, they "Sucks to be you" and lol in the background. GRR.... damn you EA.

Don't blame Maxis... Blame EA for forcing them to release the game before it was ready.

TracyJacksonTAW
TracyJacksonTAW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 22:55:17 Reply

The game is ready in all aspects. Just that the EA servers cannot handle the stress of the amount of people trying to get on the game.

TracyJackson

Lucian-MK-IV
Lucian-MK-IV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 23:14:34 Reply

At 3/8/13 10:55 PM, TracyJacksonTAW wrote: The game is ready in all aspects. Just that the EA servers cannot handle the stress of the amount of people trying to get on the game.

If EA were a bunch of normal people, the players who want to play singleplayer wouldn't have to be always online, servers wouldn't be overloaded and eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone would be jolly happy. But why make things easy for the boys and girls, let us overcomplicate things and make a DRM that makes our butts clench really hard.

Ugh... and to think i wanted to pre-order. I really dodged a huge pile of crap.

"GROOOOAAAAAR!!!!" - Tyrannosaurus rex, 65 million years ago

BBS Signature
TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-08 23:16:59 Reply

It's astounding to me how little EA recognizes the target audience for a Sims game.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-09 00:47:29 Reply

What happens when 5-10 years down the road with this game and the servers are down entirely?

Patcoola
Patcoola
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Animator
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-09 00:54:37 Reply

At 3/9/13 12:47 AM, TheKlown wrote: What happens when 5-10 years down the road with this game and the servers are down entirely?

Chances are: the CD will no longer install because it rotted and the games may not run on Windows 10 and they only care that you buying the newest Sim game.

And always remember, when you buy the game, you don't own it, you bought a license to play it.

Trapex
Trapex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Writer
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-09 01:17:40 Reply

All I want Maxis to do is make a sequel/remake of Spore that preferably doesn't require internet connectivity to work.

And I'm not talking about that stupid Spore Heroes game.

TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-09 01:31:14 Reply

At 3/9/13 12:54 AM, Patcoola wrote:
Chances are: the CD will no longer install because it rotted and the games may not run on Windows 10 and they only care that you buying the newest Sim game.

And always remember, when you buy the game, you don't own it, you bought a license to play it.

Thats bullshit brother and Fable 1 pc still works for me on Windows 7.

HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-09 02:16:15 Reply

if the servers worked from day one, i'm pretty sure there wouldn't be as much fuss about the game.

but that's about as likely to happen as me getting laid.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-09 04:05:51 Reply

At 3/9/13 12:47 AM, TheKlown wrote: What happens when 5-10 years down the road with this game and the servers are down entirely?

Like with any MMO, (*cough* Sims Online) you will never be able to ever play it again, unless there is a private server, which is illegal.

The funny thing is that the only games that don't run on a modern OS are the very first Maxis games for Windows.

TracyJacksonTAW
TracyJacksonTAW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-09 10:19:46 Reply

It's a pity that SimCity is getting so many negative post-release reviews...if they only fix the servers, it'd be fine.

TracyJackson

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to New SimCity review 2013-03-09 15:49:53 Reply

Everyone is blaming the always-on DRM for the server problems, when really it is the constant cloud saving feature that is hogging all the bandwidth.

If they simply had a save to hard drive feature then there wouldn't be so many problems.