New Topic Respond to this Topic
TracyJacksonTAW
TracyJacksonTAW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
anyone play games competitively? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 12:18 AM Reply

Does anyone here play video games competitively, or semi-pro/professionally?

I used to be a part of a Madden NFL team that played Madden '10 and '11 competitively on the Xbox. We went to about a dozen competitions in and outside the state. Of course, we were never "extra good" and we got beaten by professional Madden gaming teams a few times (those who play Madden as a living). But we're fine with our achievements with that game, can't say anything poor with our 74-10 record in 11 competitions.Too bad we broke up after high school for college...

Currently, I do wish I can compete semi-professionally in CS:GO or SCII...prbly won't happen :-P

TracyJackson
The Art of Warfare gaming community Member
Apply into one of our dozen supported clans today! (TAW Clan)

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 12:58 AM Reply

I try to play SF4 and MvC3 pretty professionally, wish there were more tournaments in NM, or any for that matter.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 01:21 AM Reply

I play fighting games competitively.

silico
silico
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 01:26 AM Reply

While I can't deny that I'm in it to win it, It doesn't matter that I only manage to top the scoreboard once in a blue moon.

A good factor in playing games competitively depends on the game play; is it your style? Are you able to keep up a constant pace? To answer my own question, I never have been.

Never give up!

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 01:28 AM Reply

I've been invited to several tournaments for Trackmania to race against the worlds best... but... I've no interest in competitive gaming, I play strictly for fun... So I've turned down every offer I've gotten for either tourneys or for teams.

Audio/BBS Mod
---News: Ask Me Anything (Answers Video!)---Music: Only The Beginning---
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
TheGrim
TheGrim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 02:28 AM Reply

I haven't played a lot of competitive games recently, to be honest- been sinking hours into New Vegas and Fallout 3, though I did pick up Red Dead Redemption last weekend. Very fun game, but often I get into matches with headshot pro-gunners who can scope my skull from across the map with a Springfield 9/10 times.

But then again, nothing is more satisfying than locking on, flicking up just the perfect amount, feeling that sweet spot, and popping another player in the cranium. Man that shit is just jizz-worthy, to be perfectly blunt.

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer
HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 03:08 AM Reply

At 3/7/13 02:28 AM, TheGrim wrote: But then again, nothing is more satisfying than locking on, flicking up just the perfect amount, feeling that sweet spot, and popping another player in the cranium. Man that shit is just jizz-worthy, to be perfectly blunt.

that's why i love playing sniper classes.

even though i am trash at them.

something about scoring them skulls is so satisfying.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 03:47 AM Reply

I used to participate in Doom tournaments with prizes, if that counts.

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Reader
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 05:26 AM Reply

I play Team Fotress 2 competitively.

Elitistinen
Elitistinen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 10:05 PM Reply

I participated in several tournaments in Counter Strike in Finland and Sweden. Got to 3rd place once in a large tournament in Helsinki about 3 years ago.

Sig by Decimating

BBS Signature
frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Musician
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 12:08 AM Reply

I participated in a few Semi-Pro MLG tournaments during my Halo 3 years.

My friends and I had great teamwork. I was kind of a jack of all trades player with a focus on medium-close range combat. I had three friends who I played with.

Two were good at long-mid range, one specializing in long range.

The last guy was just a beast, unbeatable for the most part in all things Halo, and to this day he still is.

Check it! :) //// Never stop making music. Play MOTORJOUST!!!Check it! :)

YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 12:12 AM Reply

Nah, I just play games for fun.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 12:30 AM Reply

At 3/7/13 01:28 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I've been invited to several tournaments for Trackmania to race against the worlds best... but... I've no interest in competitive gaming, I play strictly for fun... So I've turned down every offer I've gotten for either tourneys or for teams.

Since you keep bringing up your supposed tourney invites I cant help but ask how does anyone even find people for competitive gaming leagues? I though you had to apply for that, but how is it you are so well known people actually reach out to you? Are you on the top of a leaderboard or something?

TheGrim
TheGrim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 12:43 AM Reply

At 3/7/13 03:08 AM, HighWay wrote:
At 3/7/13 02:28 AM, TheGrim wrote: But then again, nothing is more satisfying than locking on, flicking up just the perfect amount, feeling that sweet spot, and popping another player in the cranium. Man that shit is just jizz-worthy, to be perfectly blunt.
that's why i love playing sniper classes.

even though i am trash at them.

something about scoring them skulls is so satisfying.

Definitely- I may not be too great at sniping, but having a powerful weapon that can get me a one-hit kill from a distance so far away that my enemy can barely see me is just awesome. I love that in Battlefield 3- though I do miss the M24 from Bad Company 2, that rifle was just godly, though the L96 is a nice replacement.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 9th, 2013 @ 09:49 PM Reply

At 3/8/13 12:30 AM, sweet21 wrote: Since you keep bringing up your supposed tourney invites I cant help but ask how does anyone even find people for competitive gaming leagues? I though you had to apply for that, but how is it you are so well known people actually reach out to you? Are you on the top of a leaderboard or something?

I wasn't invited technically by the tournament organizers so much as teams that are going to them. But yes, part of the reason is because I'm on the top of a lot of leaderboards... I rank in the top 10 on the server I frequent often, and hold a few world records, a lot of top 5s, and a lot more top 10s.

I'm also well known for not being a twat in game, which helps a lot... And I play with a lot of the people who go to the tourneys on a regular basis.

Basically... I'm already part of the crowd that competes... I just don't compete myself, but I'll often train with them just so they have someone who can keep up with them and push their limits against.

Audio/BBS Mod
---News: Ask Me Anything (Answers Video!)---Music: Only The Beginning---
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 03:27 AM Reply

"I play for fun"

This is what losers say. Competing is fun. Winning is fun.

I am a sponsored Street Fighter player and a the best Zangief in my county.

Demonbrunch
Demonbrunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 11:48 AM Reply

At 3/10/13 03:27 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: This is what losers say. Competing is fun. Winning is fun.

I'm jaded against competitive online gamers, though perhaps this varies from community to community. Playing obsessively to the point where you must disown other players who refuse to play by tournament/pro standards makes the game less fun.

I used to play MGO, and while this probably doesn't happen in every online game, in this one, you had people who play 'for fun/casually' being subjugated by people who jumped into tournaments and played in a special tournament called 'SURVIVAL'. These people, these competitors, would often complain at having to play with players that were not at their skill level (and this game had levels, for instance, you might be decent, but your character is only Lv2 because you started someone new, or you didn't play a lot of game modes that would increase your level) and immediately started discriminating against anyone who didn't do things their way.

Then you've got players who play Super Smash Bros and have this hard-on for Wavedashing, counting the frames between moves, and pointing out that "items/stages/moves/characters are cheap and should never be used", and they go as far to hack the game so they can balance it out like its Street Fighter. These competitors/competitive people tearing apart game code and refusing to use most of the game's features or modes because they want it tournament-balanced.

Or a game like League of Legends, where there's plenty of tournament play, but it's pretty hard starting out unless you've got a clan of friends able to practice with you on a regular basis, because there are those rooms where there's simply going to be a group vote against a low-level player. The gradual learning process becomes even longer because there's those who have the 'play hard, or don't play hard at all' mantra in their heads. I guess you could play against the AI... as entertaining as that is.

So I'm a little jaded against competitive gamers... I know that not everyone acts like that but I roll my eyes whenever I catch onto some competitive/pro slang like AA, redping, noobtube, mid, top, bot, etc. Or when I hop into a room and listen to people talking about their clans and holding up the game to explain their stats to a clan leader (MGO)

But maybe those were just some unique observations...

I can edit my signature at will, but I can't edit my post. The hell, Newgrounds?

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 03:24 PM Reply

I play most shooter games professionally with my friends, Halo and Gears of War are the mains ones, WE have a mlg clan on game battles but we've been doing shit lately.

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! You shall watch and you shall like.

BBS Signature
dmansland
dmansland
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 10th, 2013 @ 06:31 PM Reply

I play fighting games competitively, mostly Street Fighter, but I do enter tournaments if I feel comfortable playing them, like KoF13. In SF4, I'm pretty good beating most of the people I play casuals with, only losing to other pro players like Online Tony. I just wish there was more Third Strike exposure since that is the one game I am truly beast in.

PSN ID: DMANSLAND, Wii number: too lazy to look up, Manliness level: GODLY

BBS Signature
GACBassPlayer
GACBassPlayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 01:58 AM Reply

I competed with a team in Counter Strike tournaments a very long time ago. Like 10 years ago. Won some computer parts and cash. I just loved playing and challenging myself to get better. Drawing up map-specific strategies during lunch period was fun, too.

Source: Zhaolu D2.5 w/ CS4398 DAC chip and lots of custom work on the output stage
Amp: Musical Fidelity X-Can v3
Phones: Denon D5000 and Senn HD485

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 08:46 AM Reply

I tend to not play competitively. It can put some stress on me and I'm playing games to have fun so I shouldn't have that fun taken away by being too hard on myself. The most I'll try and play competitively is in TF2 but that's about it.

[ BBS / Chat / Icon / Portal Möd ]

Formerly Bahamut

AntiHero
AntiHero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 03:22 PM Reply

I don't know if this counts as professionally or semi-professionally but I did participate in an Unreal Tournamet 3 and Gears of War 3 tournament at local gaming event in the town I live in but after those two never again. I'm one of those people that once in a blue moon I obliterate everything that dares stand in my way and if anything does survive my wrath its only so that they could send the message to the others before I slaughter them all and build a shelter from their skin. However, for the most part my ability to play games whether its multiplayer with games like CoD, GoW, or UT3 to fighting games like Street Fighter or MvC3 ranges from decent to fucking sucks.

"On rainy days, I just sit there and make deals with the devil. The fun never ends..."

BBS Signature
malachi117
malachi117
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to anyone play games competitively? Mar. 11th, 2013 @ 03:57 PM Reply

I played EA MMA competitively for quite awhile, as well as the UFC games.

360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3 - NarcolepticCat.

BBS Signature