New Topic Respond to this Topic
Rhoder
Rhoder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
is it worth remixing? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 12:17 AM Reply

I have only made a couple remixes over the past few years because I wanted to learn more about the DAW I was using.

Why do you like to remix? What are the benefits of remixing?

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to is it worth remixing? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 01:07 AM Reply

At 3/7/13 12:17 AM, Rhoder wrote: What are the benefits of remixing?

Its either fun, or for a contest, or maybe even a legitimate improvement of a piece.

If you're lucky its a combo.

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to is it worth remixing? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 05:19 AM Reply

Remixes could be done fairly easily for useful purpose. For instance, changing the genre of Track A from Dance to House. This could be done by altering the sounds and rhythms of the track, or adding other tricks involved.
Ultimately, what matters most with this kind of remix is that the track blends and flows with your whole live set.
This is also a good practice for electronic artists to apply to themselves, so that listeners aren't jerked back and forth between genres. Not to mention that most listeners enjoy that the song isn't exactly the same live as it was on the CD. This is lost with a lot of electronic artists, and I feel like I'd rather be home listening to the record without sweaty men jumping up and down beside me and screaming. A tasteful genre shift to one of the more flowing kinds (House, Dance, Disco, Downtempo) can keep listeners interested.

BBS Signature
LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to is it worth remixing? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 09:01 AM Reply

Remixing is good when you're new to making music. Instead of having to come up with an idea by yourself, you already have a base plan you can alter and give a twist to.
When done well, remixing can also get you exposure. When a pop song is released and becomes an instant hit, and you're the first to remix it, you're bound to get a good amount of listens.
Last but not least, remixing is just fun as hell.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to is it worth remixing? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 10:56 AM Reply

Whenever I get a complicated new VST, I like to try to accurately recreate a piece that's already been written (usually composed by someone else). While this isn't remixing per se, I find it a fantastic way to get comfortable with new tools without worrying about having to compose in the process. Plus, it's much harder to cut corners and you're bound to pick up a new technique or two if you try and recreate a piece of music by someone else. Just don't go and claim it's your own creation, though!

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to is it worth remixing? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 11:43 AM Reply

At 3/7/13 12:17 AM, Rhoder wrote: What are the benefits of remixing?

Your remix gets to leech off the popularity of whatever you're remixing. Case in point, my Dub FX remix has about 4 times as many plays on Soundcloud as any of my original songs, and here are the stats on another Soundcloud account I have access to:

is it worth remixing?

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to is it worth remixing? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 11:45 AM Reply

Making your own songs is much more fun than making remixes I think. Much more rewarding also. Generally I don't like covers or remixes at all. Often they're simply not as good as the original, because a song has to be good to begin with before anyone would want to remix it, and the remixers aren't always that good themselves. But even when a remix is actually good on its own, you're still like "Yeah, but they didn't actually invent this song, which is halve the work. Liking this is betraying the 'original' song.". I seldomly think a remix is an improvement. If the remix get more famous than the original, I just feel sad for the creators of the original for missing their chance to shine. But then again, the original may get better publicity, because people who like the remix may still want to hear what the original sounds like.
Having said that making remixes can have some benefits. First of, it's usually only halve the amount of work it is to create an original song. It's fun to play around with songs you like and do something totally different with it. Or make something comedic or entirely different with a song you don't like at all can be fun too.
I make a lot remakes of old video game songs. I change as little as I can to stay true to the original. Al I want to do is find out how those songs could sound if they were made with more advanced equipment (better sounding samples, effects, mixing and mastering), and more lively sequencing (more different velocity levels, tone lengths, tempo, fades, modulation, pitch bends, etc). This is a little too easy almost, but fun to do, and you get a lot of appreciation, especially on youtube. Also you learn a lot about mixing and mastering this way, in a very quick tempo. Sometimes I totally change the mood of the song, or add instruments I felt were missing from the original.
These remakes I call arrangements, which is kind of a pretentious word, but it's more accurate than remix. Technically a remix is when you use the original tracks that were recorded, and you re-do the mixing process. Generally when people say remix, they don't use the original tracks, but just the melody or lyrics. That should actually be called a cover or remake or whatever.

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to is it worth remixing? Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 12:32 PM Reply

I think remixing is awesome. More specifically making covers or arrangements or whatever you want to call them. @SourJovis while I see where you're coming from, I think that making a GOOD cover from scratch can be just as hard as making original music. In fact, it can even be harder sometimes. When you make original music you're a lot more free, whereas when you're remixing, you're making music out of composition that isn't yours, so it becomes a challenge to interpret it in your own way.

Also, to make the cover worth listening to, you'd often have to practically reinvent the original song in a new genre or use the same genre but make it sound better than the original. A good cover is one that gives the listener a reason to listen to it even if there's the original to listen to. A cover that does a wholly new take on the original and still sounds really great does demand a large amount of respect, I feel.

For instance, listen to this and then to this. It may not be apparent at the beginning (it becomes more obvious at around 0:45) but the second is a cover of the first. I think it takes some serious talent to pull something like that off.

Not to mention making covers is very fun. Now of course to each his own but I find making covers a phenomenal and fun way to be creative. It's different from making original music though; I personally enjoy doing both.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to is it worth remixing? Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 03:29 AM Reply

At 3/7/13 12:17 AM, Rhoder wrote: I have only made a couple remixes over the past few years because I wanted to learn more about the DAW I was using.

Why do you like to remix? What are the benefits of remixing?

I like the songs, it also brings fans of the artist, game, anime, etc. to come listen to your music, and if they like it, they may check out your other music. My 5 most viewed youtube vids are all remixes.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to is it worth remixing? Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 05:12 AM Reply

At 3/7/13 11:45 AM, SourJovis wrote: But even when a remix is actually good on its own, you're still like "Yeah, but they didn't actually invent this song, which is halve the work. Liking this is betraying the 'original' song.". I seldomly think a remix is an improvement.

You should check out

- Benny Benassi ft Gary Go - Cinema (Skrillex Remix)
- deadmau5 - Raise Your Weapon (Madeon Remix)
- Labrinth - Last Time (Knife Party Remix)
- Porter Robinson - Unison (Knife Party Remix)
- Pendulum - The Island (Madeon Remix)
- Avicii - Levels (Skrillex Remix)
- Martin Solvieg - The Night Out (Madeon Remix)
- PSY - Gangnam Style (Tim Ismag Remix)
- Swedish House Mafia - Save The World (Knife Party Remix)

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to is it worth remixing? Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 10:53 AM Reply

At 3/8/13 05:12 AM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 3/7/13 11:45 AM, SourJovis wrote: But even when a remix is actually good on its own, you're still like "Yeah, but they didn't actually invent this song, which is halve the work. Liking this is betraying the 'original' song.". I seldomly think a remix is an improvement.
You should check out

- Benny Benassi ft Gary Go - Cinema (Skrillex Remix)
- deadmau5 - Raise Your Weapon (Madeon Remix)
- Labrinth - Last Time (Knife Party Remix)
- Porter Robinson - Unison (Knife Party Remix)
- Pendulum - The Island (Madeon Remix)
- Avicii - Levels (Skrillex Remix)
- Martin Solvieg - The Night Out (Madeon Remix)
- PSY - Gangnam Style (Tim Ismag Remix)
- Swedish House Mafia - Save The World (Knife Party Remix)

These are awesome producers who remixed awesome songs by other awesome producers (except for PSY). The remixes are barely improvements because of the awesomeness of the original mixes.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to is it worth remixing? Mar. 8th, 2013 @ 10:49 PM Reply

At 3/8/13 10:53 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: These are awesome producers who remixed awesome songs by other awesome producers (except for PSY). The remixes are barely improvements because of the awesomeness of the original mixes.

The remixes have very different takes than that of the originals.

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to is it worth remixing? Mar. 9th, 2013 @ 07:10 PM Reply

At 3/7/13 12:32 PM, Step wrote: For instance, listen to this and then to this. It may not be apparent at the beginning (it becomes more obvious at around 0:45) but the second is a cover of the first. I think it takes some serious talent to pull something like that off.

Oh yeah, that's brilliant. That's what I was saying I try to do when I'm making snes game remixes, though I generally don't take that much creative freedom, and I'm not as good at it as this remixer is. I can't give you any examples of what I do since that's self advertising.

There are two main advantages of old video game remixes over regular remixes, because in the first case the original song is very limited by the medium.

1. Old video game consoles have sound chips that impose many limitations on how a song can sound. When you remix it you can use more tracks, better samples, and even real instruments or vocals that wouldn't have been possible for the original composer.
2. The original songs are made to loop, and fit the context of the game. In a remix you're much freer in terms of song structure. You can give it a nice intro and outro, make some nice variations etc.

I'm not saying making great video game remixes doesn't take skill though. You can raise the bar as high as you want, and make it sound as good as you can. The example you gave was very nice, thanks.

BBS Signature