Be a Supporter!

don't call yourself smart

  • 1,397 Views
  • 65 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
EmilyDotson
EmilyDotson
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 19:42:54 Reply

At 3/2/13 07:38 PM, TheColourAwesome wrote: One of the key teachings in Philosophy is that you don't need a formal education to partake. Just a willing mind.

What is smart? Someone less tired than me can make that argument.

i dont like the word "smart" itself anyway. It implies to me shit like the OP is talking about, I know it doesnt mean that, but it does.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 19:45:08 Reply

At 3/2/13 07:35 PM, EmilyDotson wrote:
At 3/2/13 07:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 3/2/13 07:29 PM, EmilyDotson wrote: this isn't a hard concept to grasp ng
Nobody thinks or says that, though.
then i guess you've never been to highschool or out in the world

I graduated an honor student and I indeed have been "out in the world".


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
notYert
notYert
  • Member since: May. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 19:45:41 Reply

i get bad grades in high school because i don't try


BBS Signature
Dragen
Dragen
  • Member since: Apr. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Animator
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 19:45:45 Reply

At 3/2/13 07:38 PM, TheColourAwesome wrote: What is smart? Someone less tired than me can make that argument.

A lot of people can be called smart, depending on the context, but all of us are also "dumb" in some way or another.


BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 19:52:06 Reply

At 3/2/13 07:16 PM, Sequenced wrote: Knowing bits and pieces of everything does not make you smarter either.

It doesn't make you smarter but it's necessary. You need knowledge to be successful, not just intelligence. Being intelligent but uninformed/ignorant gets you nowhere.

Would you rather be an ignorant cunt that doesn't know any facts at all?

EmilyDotson
EmilyDotson
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 20:05:20 Reply

At 3/2/13 07:52 PM, Entice wrote:
At 3/2/13 07:16 PM, Sequenced wrote: Knowing bits and pieces of everything does not make you smarter either.
It doesn't make you smarter but it's necessary. You need knowledge to be successful, not just intelligence. Being intelligent but uninformed/ignorant gets you nowhere.

Would you rather be an ignorant cunt that doesn't know any facts at all?

its a give a man a fish/teach a man to fish sort of argument
If i tell you how to make a chair you could memorize those steps and eventually be able to make a chair yourself, but could you ever create rocking chair, a couch, anything that advances beyond that?

of course you can get by doing that, buy you will never actually be "successful"(success is subjective anyway) doing the same old thing. or maybe you could could if you aspire to just work in some cubicle with multiple degrees

Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 20:10:22 Reply

At 3/2/13 08:05 PM, EmilyDotson wrote: its a give a man a fish/teach a man to fish sort of argument

No it's not. To learn how to fish you still have to know some facts about fishing, like which bait to use or whatever. Knowing that alone won't make you a good fisherman but it's still absolutely essential.

If i tell you how to make a chair you could memorize those steps and eventually be able to make a chair yourself, but could you ever create rocking chair, a couch, anything that advances beyond that?

I would learn woodworking skills that I could apply to making other things with a little bit of imagination.
Funny that you claim that isn't effective because the best way to learn crafts like that in my experience is to dive in and start completing small projects.

doing the same old thing.

I never said that people should continue doing the same old thing forever so I'm not even going to bother responding to the rest of your post.

Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Writer
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 20:14:29 Reply

I don't really care, but I'm smarter than the average bear

don't call yourself smart


Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
EmilyDotson
EmilyDotson
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 20:21:33 Reply

At 3/2/13 08:10 PM, Entice wrote:
At 3/2/13 08:05 PM, EmilyDotson wrote: its a give a man a fish/teach a man to fish sort of argument
No it's not. To learn how to fish you still have to know some facts about fishing, like which bait to use or whatever. Knowing that alone won't make you a good fisherman but it's still absolutely essential.

why are you trying to make this whole concept black and white? no one is saying that someone is an idiot because they have good grades. No shit sherlock you have to know basic facts to complete things. Im saying just because you know those facts that does not imply that you to be an actual thinker.

If i tell you how to make a chair you could memorize those steps and eventually be able to make a chair yourself, but could you ever create rocking chair, a couch, anything that advances beyond that?
I would learn woodworking skills that I could apply to making other things with a little bit of imagination.
Funny that you claim that isn't effective because the best way to learn crafts like that in my experience is to dive in and start completing small projects.

No one said anything about going to school to learn woodworking skills. I asked a basic question and you are working your ass off to fit this whole concept in a box. I never said that wasn't effective but its pretty well known that just because you went to school for something doesn't mean you can do it, you need hand on experience.

doing the same old thing.
I never said that people should continue doing the same old thing forever so I'm not even going to bother responding to the rest of your post.

aight watever

Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 20:28:02 Reply

At 3/2/13 08:21 PM, EmilyDotson wrote: why are you trying to make this whole concept black and white? no one is saying that someone is an idiot because they have good grades.

It'd really be better if you just stepped back and realized that my first posts were response sto something the OP said and not your opinions.

Im saying just because you know those facts that does not imply that you to be an actual thinker.

Well yeah. I was replying to what the OP said.

The OP said that school is useless because it mostly teaches you facts. I say that's horseshit because facts are still important. Simple.

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 20:33:40 Reply

At 3/2/13 08:21 PM, EmilyDotson wrote: I asked a basic question and you are working your ass off to fit this whole concept in a box.

Are you retarded?


BBS Signature
JadeTheAssassin
JadeTheAssassin
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 21:00:14 Reply

I knew a bunch of classmates (well, I was friends with a good lot of them) that were considered incredibly book-smart.

The trade-off was that they were very lacking in common sense and basic "street smarts".

My friend, for example, knows how to drive, but I had to teach her how to fill up the gas in her car.

This same friend is becoming a lawyer.


Tsukino Usagi of the NG /a/ {Sig by cast}
A ninja may be fast, but my dick is faster.

BBS Signature
EmilyDotson
EmilyDotson
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 21:02:11 Reply

At 3/2/13 08:28 PM, Entice wrote:
OP

well yes i agree, the OP is probably dumb anyway

372
372
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 22:15:26 Reply

Look you get good grades when you are dedicated to the subject, you're smart in that area. Someone who gets good grades in high school knows a bunch of things about humanity studies, mathematics and science's. Because that's...what you learn in highschool. And these days it's hell of a lot more then the average person cares to know. I wouldn't contradict a person saying they think they are smart because they get very good grades. This is a assuming the person knows how to apply the knowledge; If they don't then that's an error in the learning system, that's half of what you're supposed to take out of highschool.
Also kids who actually do well in highschool aren't in the easiest, basic Regents classes, they take college credit courses.

But I do know some kid's who get 100's in AP classes but lack common sense. I wouldn't call them dumb though, I'd just wouldn't call them witty.
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 22:32:51 Reply

I dont call myself smart but other people do

satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 22:33:46 Reply

I am not in school anymore.


(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
SolXeroEraser
SolXeroEraser
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Game Developer
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 22:47:48 Reply

At 3/2/13 07:24 PM, Entice wrote:
At 3/2/13 07:23 PM, SolXeroEraser wrote: No,Entice. No.
Even if I put yours in mine?

Yes Not even.


BBS Signature
UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Artist
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 22:59:57 Reply

At 3/2/13 07:05 PM, Sequenced wrote: if you get good grades in high school.

stop it.

Heh. I got average grades in high school, but since I started college, my grades are perfect or near it. I assume because it's more of a challenge and also because what I'm learning is interesting and useful. But yeah, it's weird actually getting good grades now. :3


BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 23:01:05 Reply

I can be a little cocky.


I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 23:26:27 Reply

At 3/2/13 10:59 PM, UVSoaked wrote:

Heh. I got average grades in high school, but since I started college, my grades are perfect or near it. I assume because it's more of a challenge and also because what I'm learning is interesting and useful. But yeah, it's weird actually getting good grades now. :3

This is what im saying also.

The whole reason why I didnt put 100% in highschool homework bullshit was due to my highly interest in music making and piano


lel

i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-02 23:54:26 Reply

getting good grades in highschool/university =/= you are smart or even knowledgable in the area.
it only means you can do the exam questions by providing predictable answers. that's it.

and why i said so? i have seen people graduating with first class honours who do not even know what an eigenvector is.


^Just another nonsensical forum post.^

MidoriKatsu
MidoriKatsu
  • Member since: Aug. 28, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-03 01:49:14 Reply

Yeah! Good grades don't mean anything! Because studying things and having a knowledge on a wide verity of subjects doesn't mean you're any smarter then anyone else! It just means you know more....

I agree. You start to find out who really is smart when you take AP classes. It begins to take more than just doing homework to get that A in the class or 4-5 on the test.


I have cancer on my anus. Should I see my gynecologist?

BBS Signature
Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Member since: May. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-03 02:03:33 Reply

Grades only measure how much effort you put into schoolwork, they're not an accurate measure of your intelligence.


BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-03 02:29:26 Reply

At 3/3/13 02:03 AM, Magical-Zorse wrote: Grades only measure how much effort you put into schoolwork, they're not an accurate measure of your intelligence.

i like you lets make babies


lel

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-03 05:19:02 Reply

At 3/2/13 07:05 PM, Sequenced wrote: if you get good grades in high school.

I didn't get good grades in high school. I guess that makes me smart. :P

dreaming-loudly
dreaming-loudly
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Filmmaker
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-03 10:16:00 Reply

Don't consider yourself in a position to make the judgement on who is smart or stupid

If you are some teenager striking a lame myspace pose on their profile pic
I'm just say'n

Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-03 10:21:53 Reply

At 3/2/13 07:05 PM, Sequenced wrote: if you get good grades in high school.

stop it.

We called it Secondary School, thus I'm allowed to.


When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
TruBluFoxx
TruBluFoxx
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-03 10:23:04 Reply

Hi, I'm smart, and you're mad.


BBS Signature
Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Gamer
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-03 10:34:12 Reply

At 3/2/13 07:05 PM, Sequenced wrote: if you get good grades in high school.

stop it.

Can I call myself smart if I get shitty grades?

Otto
Otto
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Animator
Response to don't call yourself smart 2013-03-03 10:40:26 Reply

Knowledge and wisdom are different, everyone knows this. Reeling off facts doesn't mean you're better at processing those facts - Sherlock Holmes, however fictitious, is the ideal image for intelligence; he may not know the earth goes around the sun, but he can make the most remarkable of deductions from such little evidence.


This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature