Be a Supporter!

Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little

  • 835 Views
  • 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 15:19:28 Reply

Wall of text vs. Saying very little.

Wall of text pro: You get your point across without leaving room for misinterpretation.
Wall of text con: Nobody reads it.

Personally, I use this method for the reasons listed below.

Saying very little pro: It's a quick easy read. People might even respond.
Saying very little con: If you don't examine every single angle, people automatically assume you are ignorant because of everything you left out. It leaves room for people to insert their own little spin on why you failed to mention whatever. When people respond, they insert all the thoughts you should be having because they are paranoid you have a certain kind of persona. (What utter horse shit. As if someone wholly and completely could be broken down and characterized on the basis of what they said or how they acted out of a minute in their lives.

I hate saying very little.

What do I always hear? People need to be less narrow-minded. Think outside the box. Open their fucking eyes. Wake up. Grow up. These are the things I hear.

It's just a shame that when these same people are confronted by a wall of text they are too fucking lazy to read all the thoughts aiming to be less narrow-minded, more outside the box. Thoughts with eyes wide open. Text designed to inform your judgmental little ass that we have indeed woken up and have matured into someone who can speak volumes on one topic.

So, how do we remedy this?

How is it that we get our point across, without saying too much, at the same time leaving no room for someone to come in and remind us of all the shit we already know, but chose not to add?

Also, on the same topic, how can we start an internet community that is geared more towards giving other users the benefit of the doubt. Assuming instead that the person we are speaking with is moderately intelligent with good intentions. Ridding ourselves of this very petty and paranoid feeling that others are obviously stupid and ignorant will one day be detrimental to our species. If this internet, and this technology is to be our future, and the way we communicate with each other, we need some form of online inflection in tone of voice, and a way to let on that we are being sarcastic, or funny, or serious. Some kind of virtual body language that is so important to any conversation.

I can see this with emoticons and this this and this.

Yet, it is a poor substitute. I guess we have only come so far with online chatting and forums.

I just have these thoughts in life in general. Communication is always made difficult by others because you never know if they take you seriously, with a grain of sand, as a joke, etc..

I have a bigger problem with the fact that misinformed judgments are so easily made. A deformation of character can be as easy as saying too little. People often hear what you don't say and are quick to pretend like you don't know the things you omitted.

I feel like way too much of conversations between human beings are explaining ourselves. We can have one simple point, and feel the need to explain ourselves, thus wasting more breath. An example: I'm NOT saying THAT, I'm just saying THIS. I'm not trying to say THAT, I'm just trying to say THIS. We can't just say THAT or THIS because if we don't explain it, and draw you a fucking map basically, you WILL think we mean it the wrong way.

Finally, I would just like to say that nobody is perfect. I don't think anyone has the right to be judgmental because they themselves are projecting and applying their own moral standards, (or whatever opinionated-based crusade they happen to be on at the moment) and this is simply cruel and unfair. Nobody, even close brothers or sisters could 100% put themselves in another person's head, or feel the feelings another person is having. One sentence uttered by one person out of one day in that person's life, which probably only took a few seconds to think about and say or type should not be looked at as the definition of that person's entire character. That is so fucking stupid I want to wretch. Generally, people are moody, mind changing, hypocritical creatures who rarely back up anything they have to say with examples, facts, or courage. The second someone tries to disprove them, they turn into a petty coward who uses the opportunity to try out some dumbass insult that happened to be on their mind at the moment. I'm sure they think this insult is very clever too. It isn't.

Dragen
Dragen
  • Member since: Apr. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Animator
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 15:25:55 Reply

I'll finish reading this later.


BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 15:28:43 Reply

Being a Grunter is the best thing to be.

Mansell
Mansell
  • Member since: May. 18, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Reader
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 15:30:12 Reply

I dare say it is down to the reader.
If they are lazy or retarded it isn't hard for them to dismiss text as "A wall".

What is bad is if these mongoloids have an issue with the amount of text, then fuck off and forget about it, don't cry that your feeble mind had neither the will nor the way to intake it in it's entirety.


Prone to typos.

BBS Signature
samuelclemens
samuelclemens
  • Member since: Nov. 30, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 15:35:04 Reply

At 3/2/13 03:19 PM, Stereocrisis wrote: I hate saying very little.

Whoa! Really dude? Never would have guessed!

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 15:39:55 Reply

At 3/2/13 03:19 PM, Stereocrisis wrote: Wall of text vs. Saying very little.

Wall of text pro: You get your point across without leaving room for misinterpretation.
Wall of text con: Nobody reads it.

Personally, I use this method for the reasons listed below.

Saying very little pro: It's a quick easy read. People might even respond.
Saying very little con: If you don't examine every single angle, people automatically assume you are ignorant because of everything you left out. It leaves room for people to insert their own little spin on why you failed to mention whatever. When people respond, they insert all the thoughts you should be having because they are paranoid you have a certain kind of persona. (What utter horse shit. As if someone wholly and completely could be broken down and characterized on the basis of what they said or how they acted out of a minute in their lives.

I hate saying very little.

This is as much as I'll read.

You and GreenesRcool are now friends. Thursday evening
You and GreenesRcool are now friends. Thursday evening
You updated your profile. Thursday morning
You left Jesteeri a shout. Thursday morning
You left a shout somewhere, but itâEUTMs since been deleted. Thursday morning
You left the group Indie and Alternative. Tuesday evening
You left Indie and Alternative a shout. Tuesday evening
You left Kill Them With Colour a shout. Tuesday evening
You left Jesteeri a shout. Monday afternoon
you and Jesteeri are now friends. Monday afternoon


BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 15:48:11 Reply

At 3/2/13 03:30 PM, ManSell wrote: I dare say it is down to the reader.
If they are lazy or retarded it isn't hard for them to dismiss text as "A wall".

What is bad is if these mongoloids have an issue with the amount of text, then fuck off and forget about it, don't cry that your feeble mind had neither the will nor the way to intake it in it's entirety.

At least some people like you understand. This is great BTW. "Their feeble mind had neither the will nor the way to intake it in it's entirety." That's a good one. You get it. You know.

I just think that more times than not, obvious mental disorders are overlooked. Or age. Age is always a factor, and most time will prohibit rational discussion because that person is 12 and is underdeveloped and still living by the moral standards of a child. They do have a saying. From the mouths of babes. It means that they usually see things as they really are, or at least in an innocent way. But then I thought about that. It's bullshit. Kids see things differently because they lack huge amounts of experience and can not possibly understand things like the trouble of the world at anything more than face value. They see in black and white. They can't see the gray areas. They don't understand what it is to have a bitch wife attacking your self-esteem and manhood. They don't understand needing money badly enough to steal it. They just know it's wrong. Well junior, have you ever been homeless and so hungry you couldn't move? Of course not. Plenty of things you think you know are not as easy to solve for adults. Oh, you would just do it a certain other kind of way instead. The right way. I'm sure. Let's put you in that situation and see how you react. Your standards would go out the fucking window if it was you against the world.

(p.s. I'm saying this about those types of individuals, not you ManSell.)

Havegum
Havegum
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 15:51:26 Reply

As with most things on the internet you need to compete for the attention. A wall of text might be endlessly insightful, but it doesn't matter because no-one will bother to read it. There are a number of ways to make your post more exciting to read, but cramming it down to the essentials is usually vital.

Sometimes the main point you're trying to get across, can be crammed down to one sentence, other times it's more complicated. Regardless of additional information and insight, it can't be expected that users will bother to read anything beyond a few lines of text.


BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 15:59:03 Reply

At 3/2/13 03:46 PM, Bantam wrote: There's no magic here. Be fucking concise.

Being "fucking concise" requires drawing most people a map. That's the problem. You need to explain everything and spoon feed people your true meaning or else they will take you the wrong way.

Another issue with a wall of text as you say is making the same point over and over again, usually in run-on sentences, turning what you wanted to get across as unnecessary ranting. Edit yourself, and learn how to attract someone to read what you said.

That is the problem. I may attract someone to read what I said if it's short and to the point. Sure. I attracted that particular mind to respond because he or she felt the need to add something that they think I forgot. I would rather say it first, because the only other option is being patronized and condescended to.

Right now it does sound a bit whiny and demanding, so expect some NG flavored negative feedback.

Yeah, what's new? NG can suck my dick. Bunch of man-children who need strangers on an online forum to see their worth and intelligence. How do they accomplish this? Of course, by coming up with negative and arrogant ways to "school" each other and try to come up with clever insults for comebacks.

Can we say emotionally repressed closet case?

Sectus
Sectus
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 26
Artist
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 16:09:49 Reply

Part of getting people to read your posts lies in formatting, as well. If your post shares a lot of information, yet has poor grammar and breaks in paragraphs, people will be less inclined to read it. If you post a literal block of text with no breaks, it does not look as attractive to the eye as a properly broken up set of paragraphs.

The same easily applies to shorter posts as well. The goal is to properly convey your message in a way that will encourage people to read and respond to it.

Nor
Nor
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Reader
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 16:11:26 Reply

Yes i notice that if it is a wall I am less likely to read it, a simple short response might look like no effort was put into it though.


わたしのぺにす

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 16:23:43 Reply

At 3/2/13 03:30 PM, ManSell wrote: If they are lazy or retarded it isn't hard for them to dismiss text as "A wall". [...] mongoloids
At 3/2/13 03:48 PM, Stereocrisis wrote: I just think that more times than not, obvious mental disorders are overlooked. Or age.
At 3/2/13 03:59 PM, Stereocrisis wrote: Yeah, what's new? NG can suck my dick. Bunch of man-children who need strangers on an online forum to see their worth and intelligence.

There's no reason to be rude or demeaning. If people decide against reading your posts it's not because "They don't understand what it is to have a bitch wife attacking your self-esteem and manhood". And it is not the readers fault for not reading. You have to sell your post and make it attractive to read in some way.

When you start a thread, I'm guessing you have some form of goal. It could be as simple as "get attention", and it could be more complicated like "inform and spark discussion". One obviously needs readers to accomplish this goal, and though they are a harsh crowd, it is definitely not their fault for choosing not to read. And refraining from reading long posts is not evidence of mental disorders.

It's a battle for the limited attention of the BBS, if you don't get replies it's either because the topic at hand is not interesting to discuss, or because the way it was presented was discouraging. Sell your posts.

Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little


BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 16:24:56 Reply

At 3/2/13 04:11 PM, Nor wrote: Yes i notice that if it is a wall I am less likely to read it, a simple short response might look like no effort was put into it though.

Exactly. You can't win with people. They either think you put zero thought in to what your trying to say, or they think you talk too fucking much.

Right now, I'm being seen as a nerd who talks too much. A whiny bitch because I brought this issue up.

I'm not seen as a loving father, or husband. I'm not seen as being 26, and thus a bit more worldly and wise than a 12 year old. (Not saying I know it all, so put that shit to bed people.) I'm not seen as a man who carries around any particular burdens and thus have the right to do a fair amount of complaining.

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 16:26:55 Reply

At 3/2/13 03:59 PM, Stereocrisis wrote: Being "fucking concise" requires drawing most people a map. That's the problem. You need to explain everything and spoon feed people your true meaning or else they will take you the wrong way.

As opposed to shoving what you think we should know down our throats? What do you think will come out of this thread? Do you think people will be more inclined to read your longer than average posts?

You are the only exception to a forum of "fucking concise" posts so you are not in a position to demand anything. Put simply (because I don't want to write something longer than I have to) get over it. Nothing will change and you can act like a child and give me all the reasons in the World why this is wrong but it will be a waste of effort. Get over it, move on.

I see it all the time. People thing they can demand things from websites everywhere. You're being here earns you nothing. You made the decision to be here. You do not have to be here. I do not have to agree or even read what you write.


BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 16:44:06 Reply

Is this a psychological experiment? Trying to see how many people actually take the time to read that gigantic wall of text and post something relevant in response? I have a simple remedy for textwalls, just add a TLDR notice at the bottom for those without the time or willpower to plow through the textual content. Problem solved, and if they misinterpret the TLDR notice they can always skim through the full text for a reinterpretation.

The benefits of shorter texts apply equally to writer and reader though, doesn't take as long to read; doesn't take as long to write.

Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 16:47:46 Reply

At 3/2/13 04:26 PM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 3/2/13 03:59 PM, Stereocrisis wrote: Being "fucking concise" requires drawing most people a map. That's the problem. You need to explain everything and spoon feed people your true meaning or else they will take you the wrong way.
As opposed to shoving what you think we should know down our throats?

I'm not trying to shove it down your throats. I'm simply presenting an issue, weighing the pros and cons, and adding my two cents. It's not my fault that your inner monologue chose to read what I wrote in the voice of whatever you think a dick sounds like. And if I'm bitching, you need to weigh it out in your head if maybe I have a right to bitch or not. Not everyone who bitches has no right like some spoiled kid who didn't get a much wanted toy. I'm bitching because this actually affects me, and causes much confusion and fighting in my day to day life. It's because people more times than not take what you say and how you act the wrong way that we have perfectly innocent people being stripped of their respect and integrity.

What do you think will come out of this thread?

I didn't think that far ahead because I don't really care about the ones, like you, who found no meaning in what I was saying. This thread is for people who meet me eye to eye, and if you look, some people did respond without being negative. They responded with understanding.

Do you think people will be more inclined to read your longer than average posts?

I think the kind of people I want to read any other posts I make will be more inclined. Yes. The people who won't, what do I care? They have already made up their minds about whether or not they want to read more. (And yes, I have friends on here, and in life.)

You are the only exception to a forum of "fucking concise" posts so you are not in a position to demand anything.

Whoa, hold on right there. Where is my list of demands exactly?

Put simply (because I don't want to write something longer than I have to) get over it.

No. Fuck that. I won't get over it and neither should anyone else who has to be patronized and condescended to. It's grating, and it's a daily occurrence with some people. To get over something, it needs to stop happening. Right? Right. You can't let something go if that something is clinging to you.

Nothing will change and you can act like a child and give me all the reasons in the World why this is wrong but it will be a waste of effort. Get over it, move on.

Whatever I said sure made an impact with you. Could it be because your one of the dense fucks I was talking about in my OP?

I see it all the time. People thing they can demand things from websites everywhere. You're being here earns you nothing. You made the decision to be here. You do not have to be here. I do not have to agree or even read what you write.

Okay. Here's my message in a nutshell. Give others the benefit of the doubt and don't assume anything. Is this such a bad message? No. So why are you stepping on my dick?

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 16:48:28 Reply

I like small, concise sentences that are to the point.

Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 16:55:24 Reply

At 3/2/13 04:48 PM, BumFodder wrote: I like small, concise sentences that are to the point.

Oh, so you dislike large sentences that have no point to make. BLAH BLAH BLAH!

See, this would be a response I try to avoid, (and have gotten many times) by making myself clear the first time.

Piggler
Piggler
  • Member since: May. 1, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Artist
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 16:57:35 Reply

Hey, what's this thread about? The original post is far too long to spend time reading.


BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 17:00:45 Reply

At 3/2/13 04:57 PM, Piggler wrote: Hey, what's this thread about? The original post is far too long to spend time reading.

The title pretty much sums it up.

Nor
Nor
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Reader
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 17:02:16 Reply

At 3/2/13 04:48 PM, BumFodder wrote: I like small, concise sentences that are to the point.

At times I prefer this.
As stated above the format and layout really matters.
I think the 3 main things are
1: Format
2: Grammar
3: Illusion

Format and illusion (Illusion being not the best choice of words)
Example: Typing like this with
no paragraph formats is so much
more annoying to read. It makes the
whole thing seem more messier and
condensed. It also gives the illusion
that it is longer than it actually is.

Another example is bag grammar and punctuation
Example: I MEAN If You Capitilauze Everything It Makes It More Confusing 'Nd Un-Desirable.
bad grammar,puncuation,and speling also, makes...a lot of ppl not want 2 rd it.

So a wall of text may be readable and easy, but it matters how you plan it out.
This also applies to short sentences, no one want to read something that they have trouble doing.


わたしのぺにす

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 17:15:18 Reply

At 3/2/13 04:47 PM, Stereocrisis wrote: I'm not trying to shove it down your throats. I'm simply presenting an issue, weighing the pros and cons, and adding my two cents. It's not my fault that your inner monologue chose to read what I wrote in the voice of whatever you think a dick sounds like. And if I'm bitching, you need to weigh it out in your head if maybe I have a right to bitch or not. Not everyone who bitches has no right like some spoiled kid who didn't get a much wanted toy. I'm bitching because this actually affects me, and causes much confusion and fighting in my day to day life. It's because people more times than not take what you say and how you act the wrong way that we have perfectly innocent people being stripped of their respect and integrity.

dud, that's all great. Contine to write about that. Just not as long. I never said the content was bad, just the lenth. You are shoving it down my throat because you wont listen and accept that people do not want to read something that long. It is just something people don't want to do.

I didn't think that far ahead because I don't really care about the ones, like you, who found no meaning in what I was saying. This thread is for people who meet me eye to eye, and if you look, some people did respond without being negative. They responded with understanding.

You can't make a thread for people who agree with you only. That's not a discussion. That is a blog post.

I think the kind of people I want to read any other posts I make will be more inclined. Yes. The people who won't, what do I care? They have already made up their minds about whether or not they want to read more.

Holy shit do you not know what a blog is? It's the thing that isn't a public forum.

(And yes, I have friends on here, and in life.)

Hahah, lovely.


You are the only exception to a forum of "fucking concise" posts so you are not in a position to demand anything.
Whoa, hold on right there. Where is my list of demands exactly?

You demand that we read your long posts. Once again, this is a public forum. If people tell me to stop doing something (People have told me to stop talking about my personal problems with depression on here for example) you stop doing that thing. I mean, if it's pissing people off. If you don't care that it's pissing people off then you are either demanding that they listen, why else would you broadcast to everyone? Start a club or something, seriously. Call it the long discussion club where you will bring up the discussion, Why does this club need to exist? Why can't people read my long posts? and long discussion will be had by the people who want a long discussion.

If the community doesn't want it then who are you to say they should? A discussion is one thing but it seemed like you were spamming the BBS with long posts just to get a rise out of some people.

No. Fuck that. I won't get over it and neither should anyone else who has to be patronized and condescended to. It's grating, and it's a daily occurrence with some people. To get over something, it needs to stop happening. Right? Right. You can't let something go if that something is clinging to you.

You're analysing the saying and not the meaning behind it effectively not solving anything and being as lazy as the BBS you're fighting. Yes, get over it.

Whatever I said sure made an impact with you. Could it be because your one of the dense fucks I was talking about in my OP?

ya, it's all me bud. That's right, real discussion we're having here.

Okay. Here's my message in a nutshell. Give others the benefit of the doubt and don't assume anything. Is this such a bad message? No.

I'm just going with what the board seems to think. You obviously feel like you're alone, apart from a few friends in your opinions so maybe you can see where I'm coming from when I say I'm just speaking for the majority.

Maybe people like long posts? I don't know. But not all do, as you've said. So accept it.

So why are you stepping on my dick?

Because you're not listening to me. If you were you wouldn't have to ask this question. You love long topical discussion, I provide some and now I'm stepping on your dick? First of all, that's a pre big dick and secondly please get over yourself. More words don't make your argument any less valid.

Give others the benefit of the doubt
Could it be because your one of the dense fucks I was talking about in my OP?

BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 18:17:17 Reply

At 3/2/13 05:15 PM, TheColourAwesome wrote: dud, that's all great. Contine to write about that. Just not as long. I never said the content was bad, just the lenth.

It's not that simple. If I continue writing, it gets longer. If I'm passionate about what I'm saying, no short sentences will do. Plus, like I said in my cons section of saying to little, you open yourself up for people coming in and reading more into what you didn't write, instead of what you did write.

You are shoving it down my throat

Impossible. Leave if you feel like that. Don't read.

because you wont listen and accept that people do not want to read something that long. It is just something people don't want to do.

I can accept the fact that most people here don't want to read long walls of text. What you don't understand is my feeling that it is necessary to stave off smart-asses who make patronizing and condescending responses based on things I know, but didn't say. So, if I post too little, I must be ignorant, and people jump all over me to stop being narrow-minded. If I post too much, I must be shoving it down people's throats, (even though these same people told me I need to put more thought into things I already fucking knew and didn't say). How exactly can I win?

You can't make a thread for people who agree with you only. That's not a discussion. That is a blog post.

I don't have a blog.

Holy shit do you not know what a blog is? It's the thing that isn't a public forum.

See, there you go. I didn't say I knew what a blog was, so obviously I must not. Right? You keep proving my point with all your little observations about things you think I don't know, or have not considered.

You demand that we read your long posts.

No I don't.

Once again, this is a public forum.

Assuming I didn't know that because I didn't post this on my fictional blog?

If people tell me to stop doing something (People have told me to stop talking about my personal problems with depression on here for example) you stop doing that thing.

No. Fuck all that. People can either read, or not. If they have a problem, they can stop reading, and click the back button. If it bothers them so much that they are in your thread, they would just leave. People who make shitty responses want a fight.

I mean, if it's pissing people off. If you don't care that it's pissing people off then you are either demanding that they listen, why else would you broadcast to everyone?

Sorry. I just can't get behind your logic. I don't set aside rules like that for myself when I post something. It's not supposed to be a list of demands.

Start a club or something, seriously. Call it the long discussion club where you will bring up the discussion, Why does this club need to exist? Why can't people read my long posts? and long discussion will be had by the people who want a long discussion.

No. We don't need a club. People can either read and respond, not read at all and respond anyway, or leave. (See, now because I didn't list all options of what people could do, some of you are now thinking about it. You want to call me out on the other options people have that I didn't list. You think that I think that their aren't other options because I didn't give you a wall of text. While they are having these clever thoughts, they are also thinking about whackin' it later, after they take a crap of course.)

If the community doesn't want it then who are you to say they should?

Some people agree. Some people don't. You could say the same thing about any other thread, so don't project that nonsense at me.

A discussion is one thing but it seemed like you were spamming the BBS with long posts just to get a rise out of some people.

No. I was making thought provoking posts that were of greater length than the average "Dude, I just saw a blue car. Discuss" posts this forum is generally all about. Why would I spend my time writing about something with the thought in my head, "dur-hur, this will piss them off because it's long." Are you serious? People actually think these things? Like I would purposely do it for that specific reason? Instead of reading what I wrote, people instead made the distinction that the whole topic was a mask for my true intent, which was to make them read something long? Get fucking real.

You're analysing the saying and not the meaning behind it effectively not solving anything and being as lazy as the BBS you're fighting. Yes, get over it.

Actually, I was offering solutions. Give people the benefit of the doubt. Don't assume. Be understanding. These are not lazy conclusions. You get over it. And by IT, I mean the fact that you could just as easily not come back here to debate this with me.

I'm just going with what the board seems to think. You obviously feel like you're alone

No I don't. I feel like a minority. Not alone. It's actually not that bad of a minority to be in either. I don't act like a chump who unwillingly has to do a book report when I have to read more than a paragraph, and put thought into something.

apart from a few friends in your opinions so maybe you can see where I'm coming from when I say I'm just speaking for the majority.

A majority of trolls and people who get twitchy when they have to read something longer than a few sentences...

Maybe people like long posts? I don't know. But not all do, as you've said. So accept it.

I accept it. The message flew way over your head. I'm saying that the same people who hate walls of text are often the ones who have to come up with some cunty remark when I don't post things attempting to look at it from every angle. People who hate walls of text are the same people who try to push their "You shouldn't be so ignorant, things could be THIS way ya know!" preachy crap when you don't explain yourself.

I know you have no reason to trust me on this one, but I don't LOVE walls of text. I would love to just go in and out of forums, leave my point of view, and leave. The point is that when I do so, I get all these responses that judge me for not putting much thought into it. So I must be narrow-minded, ignorant... blah blah blah...

Because you're not listening to me. If you were you wouldn't have to ask this question. You love long topical discussion,

Not really. I would love for people to get the point I was making without wasting my time drawing a fucking map.

I provide some and now I'm stepping on your dick? First of all, that's a pre big dick and secondly please get over yourself. More words don't make your argument any less valid.

The path to Hell is littered with good intentions. The main point of "wall of text vs. saying very little" was that we should be able to say very little, and be understood. Not to take things the wrong way. This is impossible because everyone and their mother wants to put a little thought bubble over the quiet guy and girl's head and fill it with thoughts that the people is not even having. A quiet person is like a clean slate for a paranoid person to start filling in the blanks. If you are not saying anything, you MUST be thinking THIS! Herp a derp! What bullshit...

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 18:28:07 Reply

Find balance


lel

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 20:40:00 Reply

Haha, I give up man. Think what you want to think. You're so passionate about this whole thing when really no one cares. Either write shorter posts and get replays or longer posts and be happy that you got whatever you wanted off your chest. People aren't going to reply to them though.


BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 21:02:56 Reply

Personally, I would prefer a shorter post that gets to the point, rather than a wall of text to read and understand in one go. In a longer post however, it's much easier to break down and explain whether you agree or disagree and why, whereas in a shorter post, that really isn't the case. The grammar comparisons are usually much better in short, concise posts as compared to long ones, where some of them misspell words on a consistent basis, and don't even bother to use punctuation.

It's mostly due to the person's preference in the end, but I've tend to notice that the shorter posts are much better and generally more understandable than walls of text.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
PlantFetishPerson
PlantFetishPerson
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 21:03:11 Reply

I didnt see any mention of this, but lots of words =! wall of text. A wall of text refers to when the writer makes one large paragraph instead of breaking up his or her point into smaller more manageable paragraphs.

Havegum
Havegum
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 21:04:36 Reply

At 3/2/13 06:17 PM, Stereocrisis wrote: If you are not saying anything, you MUST be thinking THIS! Herp a derp! What bullshit...

You are exaggerating how much words get twisted, either that or you're bad at providing context. It's perfectly possibly to get a basic point across without providing too much room miscommunication.

For example, in your OP, you could easily go with something like:
"I've noticed a trend where people will completely misinterpret another users post simply because it is lacking the substance to be covering all aspects of his argument, who's at in situations like this?"

It's short enough for people to read, the point of the thread is clear for everyone, and it is open enough to allow room for discussion, and asks a question that might spark that discussion. Of course all of the above is subjective to some extent, but it's hell of a lot more user-friendly.

The pros and cons are sort of unnecessary to include because they don't add that much, and it's more interesting to see what other users take on the pros and cons are. It's also a good thing to sneak in to a follow up post, if it comes to that.

It's really as simple as @sequenced, and just about everyone else put it; find a way to get your point across in a concise manner. If "being right" is the goal of your thread, that's fine and all, but it won't spark as much discussion as a thread that has discussion as primary focus.


BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Wall Of Text Vs. Saying Too Little 2013-03-02 21:11:58 Reply

At 3/2/13 09:04 PM, Havegum wrote: For example, in your OP, you could easily go with something like:
"I've noticed a trend where people will completely misinterpret another users post simply because it is lacking the substance to be covering all aspects of his argument, who's at fault in situations like this?"

I accidentally a word.


BBS Signature