New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ericho
Ericho
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:19 PM Reply

I heard that for awhile (maybe even until recently) women were not allowed in the military. So it's probably just something that we have grown into our culture. More likely, it's because women have to spend nine months being connected to a kid they're going to have, whereas a man only has to do it for one night and that's it.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Sparkley
Sparkley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:19 PM Reply

It's not so much that we're into violence as we're into victory. To us I think it's more of the competition and the outcome that matters rather than the actual violence.

Mmm. Oh, yeah. That's good. That's a nice apple.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:22 PM Reply

You're right and honestly I have no Idea. My girlfriend asks the same thing. I don't know why but I just love mild violence. I love getting into fights and boxing my friends, it's just fun lol.
Anything too violent like murder or anything makes me sad though. :(

scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:48 PM Reply

Masculinity.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:08 PM Reply

Men like violence because it makes them feel they have power of things. Nothing more, nothing less. The same reason women like things we consider "girly", because they dislike thinking about negative emotions and instead prefer idealism. Tom boys and Tom girls are just like that except reversed from the social norm.

Grotty
Grotty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Writer
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:13 PM Reply

Because it's fun?

Pretend violence prepares us for the real thing. Well, no, it doesn't, but it makes us familiar with it.

Protect the Muska.

TracyJacksonTAW
TracyJacksonTAW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:16 PM Reply

I'm not into violence, in fact I tried to stop a bully a couple times back in middle and high school before. I mean, sure I like playing Counter Strike and Battlefield 3 and such...but that does not mean I like killing folks and seeing their brains splattered...it's weird people think males are more into violence and killing.

I know a lot more girls who are into shooting games than my guy friends are!

TracyJackson
The Art of Warfare gaming community Member
Apply into one of our dozen supported clans today! (TAW Clan)

Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:17 PM Reply

It could be because the people or things us boys tried to imitate were figures that we aspired to be, like police officers or soldiers - job usually men would have. I think watching cartoons like G.I. Joe and the like also were factors too.

BBS Signature
steph2568
steph2568
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:21 PM Reply

For the adrenaline rush, maybe?

Boys are weird.

<3

BBS Signature
fuzzum111
fuzzum111
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:21 PM Reply

It's the "alpha mode" for some of us.

It's the massive adrenaline rush of fighting or watching a fight unfold, asking yourself what would you have done, could you take that guy on, etc?

No it's not pleasant but it's a way to settle things. It is a way to finally get people to stop fucking with you when nothing else works. When they seek you out just to show they own you, then you turn around and shoot them, or crack them with a bat. then you show "Yea asshole, you think you were on top, try again buttfuck" and walk away.

There can be dignity in fighting, there can be grace. There can be complexity and extreme skill. There can also be senseless violence and acts of brutality rarely seen by people. It serves a purpose, there are some who know nothing but fighting, some who only learn to grow the fuck up after getting the shit beaten out of them once or twice, hell. That could very well mean just society shitting on them a few times, doesn't take a burly man for it to be a "fight"

My Youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzum1 11
If you get a ban, it was totally worth it. 10/10, I love you. -Skaren

BBS Signature
Schizo-Sephy
Schizo-Sephy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:58 PM Reply

I was always into violence from a young age.
I will always be violent.

Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Writer
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:40 PM Reply

Have you ever seen the documentary Tough Guise ? It explains a lot about the male psychology from toddlers to adults.

I recommend seeing it

Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
kaeleb
kaeleb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:52 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 02:28 AM, T3XT wrote: Don't lie; if you were a little boy you played cowboys & Indians or cops & robbers or this vs. that and fake-fought your friends all the time. And there's really nothing wrong with that.

Of course, clearly actual violence isn't a pleasant thing, so why do we like the idea of it so much? Why is it that ever since we're little, we need to have toy weapons and fighting roleplays and watch Madness on Newgrounds?

I'm not going to lie. I love fighting-based video games, movies and novels as much as the next guy. However, I've been in enough intense situations to know being in the presence of a fight is not at all a fun thing to actually have happen. Some boys I've met can't even make that distinction (though most can), and end up being violence-loving fuck-ups.

Why is it that we love the idea of fighting so much, Newgrounds? It's a psychological question that's bugged me for quite some time, and there's no straightforward answer to it, but...

What do you think, Newgrounds?

violence is hotwired into our bodys and brain if something threatens us we f#ck it up
think about wars mostly guys right all the testostron runing around us also makes us like that
violence is a scary thing having grown up in a voilent home for the past 12 years of my life i was around it 24/7
but like i said its a instince thing

DARK ANGEL

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:26 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 10:04 AM, KiwiSundae wrote: Fighting gets guys rock hard. That's why.

Yeah, women would probably like that sort of thing more than you would think, hee hee.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:29 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 09:32 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/2/13 08:52 AM, BumFodder wrote: Creating fake conflicts for fun is hardly 'being into violence'
Humans are drawn to it though. Violence fuels our inner fire.

People arent into violence because they dont want to die, theres a very large difference between 'lol i just shot u on cod' and 'oh my god that guy just shot someone'.

JBK
JBK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:31 PM Reply

I played ninja and sometimes house with my toys.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:41 PM Reply

At 3/3/13 03:26 PM, Ericho wrote:
At 3/2/13 10:04 AM, KiwiSundae wrote: Fighting gets guys rock hard. That's why.
Yeah, women would probably like that sort of thing more than you would think, hee hee.

Hmm ... People are really into some weird stuff.

MidoriKatsu
MidoriKatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:51 PM Reply

My little cousin used to help me burn my Bratz dolls.

I have cancer on my anus. Should I see my gynecologist?

BBS Signature
PotHeadParadise
PotHeadParadise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 04:25 PM Reply

I'm not. It's just a waste of time. even when im mad i know that im smart enough to not use physical violence to solve something. If its defending myself that's a different story.

Smoke. Sleep. Life. "Inhale the good shit exhale the bullshit" - Your peaceful dude PotHeadParadise

Peace And Love For A Better World

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:34 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 11:58 AM, mothballs wrote: And you sound like a pansy.

I am.

At 3/2/13 07:09 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 3/2/13 02:28 AM, T3XT wrote: What do you think, Newgrounds?
I think you should bother to do your own simple fact and research finding rather than leeching off others.

There's not one simple answer to this. I've heard many theories and studies before, but it's all up for discussion. And so far I've got some juicy discussion so I guess this is going pretty well.

Also, has anyone read the book Lord of the Flies? Or hastily read the back cover before English class? Well, it's a pretty dull read but it makes some good points on human male nature. It's sort of symbolic of what boys do when left to their own devices.

Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:21 PM Reply

Perhaps we've been raised into gender roles. You know, the man has to be big and strong and fight to protect the women and children.

Or perhaps it's a bit more primal, in the sense that our instincts tell us we must be strong in order to provide for and protect the women and children.

Or maybe we're all just crazy. Who knows, really.

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
Slint
Slint
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:29 PM Reply

Because human nature.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
Stark-Heather
Stark-Heather
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:45 PM Reply

In boys it seems the violence is more tolerated and in girls is more restrained. There is this conception that girls do not engage in physical violence, but it is not completely true. Girls fighting are perceived more as crazy, because the society does not assume violence in women as in men.

I am a woman, and hell, as a child I engaged in a lot of stone fights with homemade slingshots. When we ran out of stones, then we used our hands. Growing in rural Spain helped. Sending or being sent to the closest hospital for stitches was common in the long hot summers. We were little, sadistic fucks and without those lawsuits so common in the US, we ran wild. My gender did not save me from that neither. A game between two teams could become a brawl. Boys and girls included. Forget about a soccer match gone wrong... ugh

Violence seems to have something addictive. I got into boxing in my teen years and found the fights exciting and adrenaline rushing. Kicking ass (and getting my ass kicked in the process) had something. Even with a bloody nose and an eyebrow fucked up you continue at it, but at the end you shaked hands with the oponent. Looking back there was not logic in getting your ass busted for entertainment, but well

Today I do not fight no more, as I am a socially adapted adult.. I am not a gamer neither, so no games for me, but still, I find combat sports on TV and violent movies interesting.

It is human nature, I guess, like the morbid curiosity for death

At 3/2/13 02:28 AM, T3XT wrote: Don't lie; if you were a little boy you played cowboys & Indians or cops & robbers or this vs. that and fake-fought your friends all the time. And there's really nothing wrong with that.

Of course, clearly actual violence isn't a pleasant thing, so why do we like the idea of it so much? Why is it that ever since we're little, we need to have toy weapons and fighting roleplays and watch Madness on Newgrounds?

I'm not going to lie. I love fighting-based video games, movies and novels as much as the next guy. However, I've been in enough intense situations to know being in the presence of a fight is not at all a fun thing to actually have happen. Some boys I've met can't even make that distinction (though most can), and end up being violence-loving fuck-ups.

Why is it that we love the idea of fighting so much, Newgrounds? It's a psychological question that's bugged me for quite some time, and there's no straightforward answer to it, but...

What do you think, Newgrounds?

Growing up, other girls wanted to be princesses..., shit, I wanted to be an outlaw

BBS Signature
YenMuffin
YenMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:46 PM Reply

I hope this comic is informative.

Why are boys so into violence?

Gamertag: YenMuffin || Minecraft ID: YenMuffin || Noticing a pattern? Pikachu.

BBS Signature
Stark-Heather
Stark-Heather
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:57 PM Reply

LAWL!!

At 3/3/13 08:46 PM, YenMuffin wrote: I hope this comic is informative.

Growing up, other girls wanted to be princesses..., shit, I wanted to be an outlaw

BBS Signature
Lucian-MK-IV
Lucian-MK-IV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:58 PM Reply

At 3/3/13 08:46 PM, YenMuffin wrote: I hope this comic is informative.

Oh yes, the penis. Natures best and most advanced creation ever. Everything else is pitiful when compared to the penis.

"GROOOOAAAAAR!!!!" - Tyrannosaurus rex, 65 million years ago

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Why are boys so into violence? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:13 PM Reply

to stand upon the defeated, knowing full well of our power to defeat our foes in combat and send shock and awe into all those who see

also, swords and guns are cool!

BBS Signature