New Topic Respond to this Topic
Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 11:19 PM Reply

It has been said that I do not care about other artists on here. This is not true.

In fact, there has been a question that's been on my mind as of late, and I'm trying very hard to make it a serious inquiry. The question is a simple one: 'What caused you to submit your first song to the Newgrounds Audio Portal?' You may think this is a boring question, but I am quite curious. Looking back to the reasoning behind my first submission, it definitely gives me a different motivation when I decide to submit future entries.

I believe most of you may have listened to other peoples' songs, or you may have had visions of grandeur after discovering that you too could submit audio here. Perhaps some of you lusted after the platinum discs which were obtainable for your songs (if you've been on here for a while, then you know what I'm talking about), or perhaps some of you became mad and that's why you submitted audio here. I don't know, but I am truly curious.

Also, while I'm at it, what is your current motivation for submitting songs? Power, superiority, monetary income, popularity, or just a cult following of Newgrounders? I know that one of these must apply to you.

These questions riddle me greatly.

Your First Submission..into madness

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
Deflektor
Deflektor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 11:46 PM Reply

Well, i would say that i first submitted here, because i was so proud of the music i created, and i wanted everyone to listen to it.
Also, listening to many submissions (mainly in the video game music section) back then gave me some more motivation ;
i thought "how cool it would be to be be a star on this site like them".

To sum it up, i basically wanted some recognition, because music is actually the only thing i can do.

As for now, i guess the reasons are the same, except i've become slightly more ambitious.

BBS Signature
DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 11:51 PM Reply

I started submitting back in October 2005 because Newgrounds was one of the most friendly, passionate communities I could find. At the time, my goal was to get at least one platinum record (1000+ downloads). Back then, very few artists had even one -- and even fewer had multiple. Soon after, I wanted to try and top the charts of the classical and trance. I had some luck, but those damn zero bombers always got the better of me in the end!

Now, I submit to Newgrounds mostly to keep the folks who are interested in my music updated with a sampling of what I'm up to. I'd post a lot more than I do, but most of the music I write now is commercial music under NDAs ... and given NG's licensing rules, I can't post it without breaching my contracts :(.

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:00 AM Reply

At 3/1/13 11:51 PM, DavidOrr wrote: I started submitting back in October 2005 because Newgrounds was one of the most friendly, passionate communities I could find.

I can relate with both you and Deflektor on this. But I have to wonder if you miss those days. I know the zero votes were maddening, but it was thrilling to get reviews and feedback on music (and there was no better feeling than having your song used in a flash for the first time), but now it feels as though the thrill has worn off, or at least it's not as strong as it once was.

It's beginning to seem a little boring, really.

BBS Signature
StaticBlu
StaticBlu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:11 AM Reply

At first when I even started composing music years ago, the reasons were about superiority and overall ego. Years later, I've matured. lost the ego, and now I want to branch out and pursue my passion of becoming a professional composer primarily for video games.

Also It gives me more motivation to keep making music by being immersed in the Newgrounds community because of the number of talented people sharing their music daily. I would also love to network and get as many critiques as possible as well as give as many critiques as I receive (if not more) because I want to encourage others as well.

I've been learning and practicing by myself for years, and it's been a while since I've even talked to another musician. As a new years resolution, I made sure that it was time to start sharing my music and becoming part of a community that can help me grow as an artist.

stunkel
stunkel
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:15 AM Reply

At 3/1/13 11:19 PM, Bosa wrote: 'What caused you to submit your first song to the Newgrounds Audio Portal?'

Also, while I'm at it, what is your current motivation for submitting songs?

I gotta be honest, when I first signed up to newgrounds, I was very hesitant to submit music because the idea of giving away music for free was a little weird to me. I wasn't sure if I was protected and all of that jazz. I wanted to post my music to as many websites as possible and newgrounds seemed like a pretty awesome site. Part of the reason I joined newgrounds is so I could have my music put into games and animations on and off of the internet. When I joined newgrounds though, I didn't realize how great and helpful of a community it had. Since I have joined newgrounds, I have improved so much. And it's all thanks to the community.

But I didn't know any of that going into newgrounds. So to answer the question, I guess I went into newgrounds hoping for more exposure, but I got myself into something much greater. I thought I was way better than I actually was, and I realized I had wayyy more to learn. So I guess I got into newgrounds for the wrong reasons, but the outcome was far better than I could have imagined. And that being said, knowing that I still have room to improve on my work is all that I need to keep me publishing music to newgrounds.

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:22 AM Reply

When I was first submitting, I wanted to show people what I had done. I was honestly embarrassed by those submissions soon afterwards and deleted them (though I still have the audio files somewhere).

Eventually, as I continued submitting, I started receiving feedback. From that point until now, my greatest driving factor for submitting my musical pieces is this: Feedback. Criticism (preferably constructive).
As a secondary incentive, I'm starting to build up a fanbase. Since I love music and want to do it for a living, both of these things are very important to me. Money is back in my list of priorities concerning music and wouldn't even be a factor if it weren't necessary in today's society.

Not sure if my main motivation is really part of your list. ^_^

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:37 AM Reply

because my dad didn't allow me to.

lol

lel

DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:44 AM Reply

At 3/2/13 12:00 AM, Bosa wrote:
At 3/1/13 11:51 PM, DavidOrr wrote: I started submitting back in October 2005 because Newgrounds was one of the most friendly, passionate communities I could find.
I can relate with both you and Deflektor on this. But I have to wonder if you miss those days. I know the zero votes were maddening, but it was thrilling to get reviews and feedback on music (and there was no better feeling than having your song used in a flash for the first time), but now it feels as though the thrill has worn off, or at least it's not as strong as it once was.

It's beginning to seem a little boring, really.

I remember seeing my music used in a flash for the first time -- it was awesome! There was something magical about the old system. Part of it is nostalgia for sure, but the simple nature of the audio portal was really alluring to me. Only being able to vote for a track once was maddening, but encouraged me to rank up my level to make my vote count as much as possible. I loved the record system. 500 Downloads was a gold album, 1000 for platinum, 2000 for a 2x platinum, 5000 for a diamond (my first diamond was an adrenaline rush, man!) The new audio portal has loads of awesome features we could only dream about back then, but it has lost a little of the magic it used to have.

Nonetheless, I have Newgrounds to thank for getting me started in the world of flash composition, and it has paid for itself many times over. In fact, this conversation has prompted me to go and purchase the Supporter donation from the shop -- something I've been meaning to do for a while!

BBS Signature
DylnMatrix
DylnMatrix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:35 AM Reply

Honestly, I don't really know what motivated me to start submitting here. I was barely even coming to Newgrounds anymore after Dimrain went on his hiatus and completely disappeared off the map in 2010. Although he was one of my big inspirations to start writing, and I loved the way Newgrounds was set up (before the redesign), I'm still completely unsure as to why the heck I came back to Newgrounds to submit audio. Me aspiring to be like the Newgrounds greats? Get featured in a flash here? I dunno. Hell, I don't even remember what my first submission sounded like before I completely revamped it in June. I just know it was awful, and didn't even get accepted onto the portal until I submitted my second song a month after I first submitted.

Now, I submit audio here simply because of the community, and how it's slowly beginning to support me like the Newgrounds community's good reputation proceeds itself. Although I still have a very long way to go to get a foothold and really be noticed, I'm starting to have people give me tips here and there that have helped me greatly in my music production since I started, and I don't want it to stop until I've mastered the art of making music, my own way. Yeah, it's a bit conceited and far-fetched to think like that, but hey, everyone needs a drive, right?

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:57 AM Reply

Some time after finding out that Newgrounds wasn't all about games, I decided to start submitting works that Echo and I did. I wanted to submit because of the feedback, mainly. It's true that back then, getting a review was so much more of a big deal. When I saw my first big bunches of 10/10s streaming in from my Mortal Kombat remix (which is crap but meh) I was through the roof.

What's awesome now is that before there were people I looked up to as musicians (Envy, Blackhole12, B0UNC3, DavidOrr, even you Bosa) and I saw them as so popular that they were untouchable. And now I'm posting on the same forum as them and have some of them on Skype/MSN too.

How cool is that.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:42 AM Reply

Because I wanted people to look at the cool shit (i thought) I was making.

SilverPoyozo
SilverPoyozo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:59 AM Reply

I have been visiting Newgrounds since 2006, so I knew the audio system pretty well.
My first upload here was actually my first song ever, and my motivation was, and still is, to hear one of my works in a flash game or movie.

Plus, besides the zero-bombers, it's a pretty cool community.

eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 05:48 AM Reply

I knew my music was shit but I wanted to do music for video games.
So I started out with flash games and game modes where people are basically happy if you make them anything and are looking forward to it

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 06:43 AM Reply

Interesting and diverse reasons all round. :)

For me, I'd heard of Newgrounds way back, even watched stuff on here occasionally. David Orr was actually a small part of my reason for getting into music for games when I heard his track in Sonny on Armor Games (There you go mate, hope that makes you feel good!). Another inspiration was Bjorn Lynn, but that's besides the point.
I'm on here to gain a following, to help others and to learn. I don't upload much because of the CC license which gets on my nerves, but I've stuck around because of the interesting conversations and to continue to help others in the hope they'll maybe one day return the favour by telling just one person about what I do. :)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 10:49 AM Reply

Came across this site various times when I was searching the internet for things. It seemed like a nice community. I paid a little more attention to it when I found out about the web series TOME by Kirbopher. That showed me a little more about the creative possibilities of the site. I knew I had to keep it in mind for when I was going to do my web series. Which still isn't there btw, because animation takes me too long. It was only until VaeViktuz let me know on my youtube channel, that my video game music covers would do well on Newgrounds, that I signed up.

When I read the rules it said it was advised to submit work that was 100% your own, so that was what I did until I got scouted. After that I also submitted some of the aforementioned covers, but I'm glad original songs get as much if not more recognition here as covers. Unlike on youtube.

The reasons why I signed up and posted music was to share what I've made, so it has more reason to do it. A fan base sounds good. I sure wish a lot of people will get to hear and like what I do.

The thought of having other people use my work is quite appealing. I like to help out others by letting them use my music, or by making music specifically for them. Unfortunately 80% of the time I only find out later people used my songs. I wished they let me know more.

There were a couple of composers I knew (off) here before I signed up. FantomenK, NemesisTheory, Kubi, Satyre and the forementioned VaeViktuz, who has been idle for the last months probably to let his family come First.

After I signed up I got know a number of just as great musicians who were very nice to me: wandschrank, dem0lecule, Elitistinen, ET16, Lowbit, Sequenced, TheyCallMeCaudex, Mattashi, MetalRenard, Jernemies, Car77, Stupor and of course Bosa himself.

I've gotten to know the community quite a bit since I've signed up. It's much nicer than I expected. A lot of cool stuff going on here. I like the competitions and events. Makes you much more involved with the people on this site.

Cheers to everyone here!

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:26 AM Reply

My first submission was basically just a start to this new musician name I was creating. Progressing onwards and onwards, the main goal of posting has pretty much been to give some spice and obscurity in this community of plain ass people. With this, I still hope to get to know the more diverse-minded people here, but there have been so few. Where are you guys?! I'm so ronery!! This is why I don't have fraaands!!

...INFIDELS :(

BBS Signature
DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:41 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 06:43 AM, MetalRenard wrote:
For me, I'd heard of Newgrounds way back, even watched stuff on here occasionally. David Orr was actually a small part of my reason for getting into music for games when I heard his track in Sonny on Armor Games (There you go mate, hope that makes you feel good!).

Rock on man, glad to hear it :)

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:48 PM Reply

I used to lurk here since the beginning of the time, probably 2004-2005 I honestly can't remember.
Then I started to get interested more and more into music, etc.
Btw my first submission was and still is shit, but I called it Ground's Gate in honour of this site lol

Good luck everyone guys

SUCK MY KICK

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:01 PM Reply

I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't for feedback. I had been playing around with some Garageband presets (I never did loop stuff believe it or not) and I was just proud that I had made a music. I don't really think I wanted much out of it then, I mostly came to the audio portal for the mario remixes (give me a break I was 11). I remember was super excited about my first review though. After a while I really wanted one of them pimp ass bling bling discs but I never got 500 downloads on anything until just after the redesign :c

my main motivation has never changed though, it's still just something I have to distract myself from the cold and empty meaninglessness of this world
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:37 PM Reply

I've been lurking on NG since the first few months it was around sometime back in the early 00's... I wasn't really interested in posting up material until two years ago. I figured that I had enough music to share and hopefully some animators, and game designers would use some of my music.

I kind of shook things up when my first two [x] [x] uploads became on the top 10 of "all time" whenever that was around within the first week of posting them up.

Ended up being on the top 10 board with two songs... Was kind of insane. From there I decided to just upload some of the best stuff from my collection of completed tracks that I could. Like David Orr, some of my commercial work is protected under NDA's and all that.

Also, I was never really interested in doing any contests until Bosa's Quest For the Crown contest was around. I was honored to first place amongst many NG Audio Portal users who have been around doing contests for years.

So that's pretty much it. The feedback and constructive criticism is nice too :3

NG AP 2011: "Best Tracks Ever"

Your First Submission..into madness

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:41 PM Reply

At 3/1/13 11:19 PM, Bosa wrote:

'What caused you to submit your first song to the Newgrounds Audio Portal?'
A couple friends recommended Newgrounds as a place to find an audience for original audio.

At 3/1/13 11:19 PM, Bosa wrote: ...what is your current motivation for submitting songs?

The community is welcoming, and I like being a part of it. If I had the prerequisite skills, I would submit other types of content as well.

BBS Signature
krssvr
krssvr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:01 PM Reply

At 3/1/13 11:19 PM, Bosa wrote: It has been said that I do not care about other artists on here. This is not true.

In fact, there has been a question that's been on my mind as of late, and I'm trying very hard to make it a serious inquiry. The question is a simple one: 'What caused you to submit your first song to the Newgrounds Audio Portal?'

Two Words: Castle Crashers

After I played the game and heard the soundtrack I lurked around Newgrounds for a bit until I realized that they not only had used indie music for the game but songs people submitted to their contest and that's when I signed up and made my first atrocious tracks (most of which are deleted except for a few)

Now for the cheesy "aww" moment, Four Brave Champions, Dark Skies and Space Pirates inspired me.

even though I ended up making music that sounds nothing like those tracks.
Also, while I'm at it, what is your current motivation for submitting songs? Power, superiority, monetary income, popularity, or just a cult following of Newgrounders? I know that one of these must apply to you.

I don't really have any motivation anymore every once in a while I post something, but the user base seems colder and less helpful now. (I say that because even as a complete noob my songs averaged 3 reviews, now hardly anyone reviews on any song at all in the portal save the top and famous tracks.)

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me
Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 04:07 AM Reply

i was bored n didn't really impose any real quality control standards on myself back then :v

p.s. i am gay

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:00 AM Reply

What caused you to submit your first song to the Newgrounds Audio Portal?

A friend recommended me this place. I was looking for a good social place to submit my music. NG AP was looking quite attractive. There are a lot of unique music on here, and that suits me enough.

What is your current motivation for submitting songs?

Social. I use my music as one of the social tools. I enjoy to exchange information and discuss about it. I quite don't care about the fan numbers and views. I should spend my time more on reviewing other people's music/flash.

Another small motivation is competition. I learn through competition. I enjoy to compare my music to other and see how bad is mine. Then I learn how to fix it properly.

Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:22 AM Reply

At 3/3/13 04:07 AM, midimachine wrote: i was bored n didn't really impose any real quality control standards on myself back then :v

And now you're out of control. Good going.

BBS Signature
EmulateSF64
EmulateSF64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:12 AM Reply

I currently only have two songs up on Newgrounds... I'm a new composer, and I just wanted to show people what I was learning... I don't really know what made me post "Unexpected Victory", as it has almost no automation at all, and the beginning build-up was terrible, but nonetheless, I posted it as my first song on newgrounds.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:54 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 01:57 AM, Step wrote: What's awesome now is that before there were people I looked up to as musicians (Envy, Blackhole12, B0UNC3, DavidOrr, even you Bosa) and I saw them as so popular that they were untouchable. And now I'm posting on the same forum as them and have some of them on Skype/MSN too.

How cool is that.

You forgot Step. ;)

I remember coming on Newgrounds years back and listening to music by BAB, Bosa, Edgen, and countless others and being blown away... I downloaded a whole bunch and used to listen to it all the time (still do!), this being long before I even thought of composing music. January of 2010, I happened upon LMMS one day when I decided I wanted to try my hand at writing music... there had been a contest back a few months from then where someone provided a MIDI file with a melody... I played around with that for a few days in LMMS, then eventually cast off the bounds of arrangement and composed my first piece, which I subsequently put on newgrounds. I got my first review a few days later, called "Middle You- Middle me: different views" (4.5 stars), which was a very helpful one, and probably is the reason I am still here... so thank you random guy who left newgrounds long ago.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 4th, 2013 @ 03:21 AM Reply

At 3/3/13 10:22 AM, Bosa wrote:
At 3/3/13 04:07 AM, midimachine wrote: i was bored n didn't really impose any real quality control standards on myself back then :v
And now you're out of control. Good going.

haha wow okay cool thanks buddy

p.s. i am gay

Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Your First Submission..into madness Mar. 4th, 2013 @ 09:53 AM Reply

I was hoping to make some friends, OKAY!?

IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!?

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.