Be a Supporter!
MidoriKatsu
MidoriKatsu
  • Member since: Aug. 28, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Melancholy
Newgrounds Culture 2013-03-01 21:50:22 Reply

It's funny; I joined this site without ever learning the proper culture of this place. I just caught on by replying to BBS. What is the culture of Newgrounds? What is taboo what don't you talk about?


I have cancer on my anus. Should I see my gynecologist?

BBS Signature
Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Culture 2013-03-01 22:20:55 Reply

At 3/1/13 09:50 PM, MidoriKatsu wrote: What is taboo what don't you talk about?

Weed and religion.
It NEVER ends well. Every damned thread about either that appears ends up a 4-page spazfest and spawns 2 or 3 spin-off threads, each also gaining another 2 pages of spaz-outs themselves.

Don't.

MidoriKatsu
MidoriKatsu
  • Member since: Aug. 28, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Culture 2013-03-01 22:23:02 Reply

At 3/1/13 10:20 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
At 3/1/13 09:50 PM, MidoriKatsu wrote: What is taboo what don't you talk about?
Weed and religion.
It NEVER ends well. Every damned thread about either that appears ends up a 4-page spazfest and spawns 2 or 3 spin-off threads, each also gaining another 2 pages of spaz-outs themselves.

Don't.

Hmmm anything else. Sometimes I don't get why people get mad at threads people post. I guess some people are just flat out rude, right?


I have cancer on my anus. Should I see my gynecologist?

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 26
Artist
Response to Newgrounds Culture 2013-03-01 22:37:10 Reply

Well, brony and MLP:FiM related discussion is pretty much a giant taboo as well. It starts too many flame wars for its own good. Best to just keep discussion to the FiM crew found in the Clubs & Crews forum.

UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Artist
Response to Newgrounds Culture 2013-03-02 00:32:45 Reply

At 3/1/13 10:23 PM, MidoriKatsu wrote:
At 3/1/13 10:20 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
At 3/1/13 09:50 PM, MidoriKatsu wrote: What is taboo what don't you talk about?
Weed and religion.
It NEVER ends well. Every damned thread about either that appears ends up a 4-page spazfest and spawns 2 or 3 spin-off threads, each also gaining another 2 pages of spaz-outs themselves.

Don't.
Hmmm anything else. Sometimes I don't get why people get mad at threads people post. I guess some people are just flat out rude, right?

It's how they release their anger, I assume. I wish the general forum was more of a happy place, some threads in there aren't too bad though.


BBS Signature
LDAF
LDAF
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Culture 2013-03-02 09:10:31 Reply

Discussion on music also tends to end in a blood bath from what I've seen. In general, people here care more about their taste in music than their own religion.


Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Culture 2013-03-02 09:43:49 Reply

At 3/2/13 09:10 AM, LDAF wrote: Discussion on music also tends to end in a blood bath from what I've seen. In general, people here care more about their taste in music than their own religion.

On that note, religion always sparks the biggest wars. :)

Music as a religion... that sounds nice.
Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Culture 2013-03-02 19:17:28 Reply

At 3/2/13 09:10 AM, LDAF wrote: Discussion on music also tends to end in a blood bath from what I've seen.

Oh god, this.

Anything along the lines of "Why is [insert music genre here] so popular?" is always a sure way of causing a pointless opinion-war, that usually ends only when the mods lock it for being 6 pages of nothing but bitching at each other for liking different bands / styles.

EVanimations
EVanimations
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Animator
Response to Newgrounds Culture 2013-03-02 23:20:10 Reply

In all fairness, aren't religion/ music/ MLP all touchy subjects pretty much anywhere the forum isn't based around those things?

Another thing I've gathered, from the couple of days I've spent here, is that the community is pretty divided between an Anime vs. Western animation conflict.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Culture 2013-03-03 03:47:50 Reply

At 3/2/13 11:20 PM, EVanimations wrote: In all fairness, aren't religion/ music/ MLP all touchy subjects pretty much anywhere the forum isn't based around those things?

Probably, but NG consists of a particularly wild and easily flammable userbase. :)

Another thing I've gathered, from the couple of days I've spent here, is that the community is pretty divided between an Anime vs. Western animation conflict.

To top it off, most people of speak of anime don't know more than DBZ! It's a harsh world.