Be a Supporter!
maxxster
maxxster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Art Lover
batch files Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 08:31 PM Reply

so i am quite new to programming. so far i have only made batch files that do simple things like say words, display time, and connect to the web. i also made a simple chat bot with a vbs file but it was pretty lame.
are there any suggestions/tips for me being new to programming?
i realize i cannot do much and i am not looking to be made fun of. everyone has to start somewhere, and i have simply just started.
give me some tips if you wish
-maxxster

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to batch files Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:00 AM Reply

Python is an excellent language for a beginner to learn. You can grab it from here; it's very easy to install. There is also the excellent, free, book Learn Python the Hard Way which assumes no prior Python, or programming, knowledge.

Ruby is another great language for beginners which you can get here; it's just as easy to install as Python. There is also a Ruby book written by the same guy, and in the same format, as the Python book which is also free: Learn Ruby the Hard Way.

Personally I think you cannot go wrong with either language. If you were to press me to make a decision about which language I think would be better to learn I would have to go with Python, but only by a small margin.

And as a bit of a side note I also recommend using Sublime Text for writing languages like Python or Ruby. It has an excellent GUI and syntax highlighting, and is able to compile and run your Python and Ruby applications within the program itself by simply pressing CTRL+B (which is far more convenient than having to open a command line and running the program from there).

maxxster
maxxster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Art Lover
Response to batch files Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:07 AM Reply

thank you much my friend, you have been a great hellp :)