Be a Supporter!

I was FP'd; why so little feedback?

  • 423 Views
  • 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
EVanimations
EVanimations
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Animator
I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Feb. 28th, 2013 @ 09:48 PM Reply

For the record, this isn't me complaining, I'm just really confused and want some answers.

Some of you may have noticed that my latest flash, ET Excursion 4, was featured for a week.

I had worked on it for about a year, and in fact posted it on the same exact day I posted my prior flash last year. It had a very tough run to begin with, spending a whole 18 hours under judgement and as a result it was considered ineligible for the daily top 5, which was like a punch in the gut.

After a rough start and a whole day of trouble wrestling the video quality, ET Excursion 4 was featured for about a week.

So I ask: why did it only get 11k views and 25 reviews by the end of its run? In my experience, that's really meager for a featured short. The last thing I posted got upwards of 32k views and twice as many reviews, and it was only about half as good. Sure ET Excursion 4 got featured, a high score, and weekly fifth but when you spend about a year on something you expect to get more feedback at least.

Maybe someone can provide some kind of reason why most people didn't even give it a chance before clicking on it? Was the choice of title, icon, or summary boring-looking? What can I do about this for the future to prevent this from happening again?

Haggard
Haggard
  • Member since: Dec. 25, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 54
Writer
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 04:28 AM Reply

I don't think there's much that you can do. The problem is, that the portal just isn't as active anymore as it used to be. You can see that the portal is clogged up with "under judgement" submissions. I vote each day in the portal on UJ-submissions. On some submissions I vote THREE days in a row, just because there aren't enough voters to get the submission out of the UJ-Status...


Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 06:16 PM Reply

To add to what Haggard said, it seems like your previous submission was uploaded shortly after the 2012 redesign (which was on the 6th of February if I remember correctly). Activity around the site peaked for a while after that point so that could explain why it got more views.

Secondly, your previous submission got a daily first which probably leads to more exposure than a daily fifth award (if only because it's featured on the main portal page for 15 days).

I understand your frustration though. What you could do is make a request for reviews in the Review Request Club. That'll give you some extra feedback.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
SickDeathFiend
SickDeathFiend
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Animator
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:59 PM Reply

At 2/28/13 09:48 PM, EVanimations wrote: For the record, this isn't me complaining, I'm just really confused and want some answers.

Some of you may have noticed that my latest flash, ET Excursion 4, was featured for a week.

I had worked on it for about a year, and in fact posted it on the same exact day I posted my prior flash last year. It had a very tough run to begin with, spending a whole 18 hours under judgement and as a result it was considered ineligible for the daily top 5, which was like a punch in the gut.

After a rough start and a whole day of trouble wrestling the video quality, ET Excursion 4 was featured for about a week.

So I ask: why did it only get 11k views and 25 reviews by the end of its run? In my experience, that's really meager for a featured short. The last thing I posted got upwards of 32k views and twice as many reviews, and it was only about half as good. Sure ET Excursion 4 got featured, a high score, and weekly fifth but when you spend about a year on something you expect to get more feedback at least.

Maybe someone can provide some kind of reason why most people didn't even give it a chance before clicking on it? Was the choice of title, icon, or summary boring-looking? What can I do about this for the future to prevent this from happening again?

The icon and name/description is the most important, its really gotta catch peoples attention, or it gets ignored. I'd of gone with a different icon image than you used, it can be tricky to find one that draws the attention though. Then the name of your movie is also not as attention grabbing either, so maybe you could experiment with new names/descriptions as well on your next project. good luck :D


Bringing the violence back to NG, one flash at a time..

EVanimations
EVanimations
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Animator
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:14 PM Reply

At 3/2/13 12:59 PM, SickDeathFiend wrote:
The icon and name/description is the most important, its really gotta catch peoples attention, or it gets ignored. I'd of gone with a different icon image than you used, it can be tricky to find one that draws the attention though. Then the name of your movie is also not as attention grabbing either, so maybe you could experiment with new names/descriptions as well on your next project. good luck :D

Yeah, come to think of it the primary reason I didn't get many views was because of a not-that-interesting title and icon. I was going to go with ET Excursion 4: Cybronia but it was already taken by Shock-Dingo for whatever reason... choosing a decent icon is always so difficult.

I guess I'll submit this to the Review Club. Maybe Reddit could give this a boost, I dunno.

Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Member since: May. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 02:37 AM Reply

Just because it was featured doesn't mean every single person who visits newgrounds will look at it, it probably didn't look too interesting. Hell, I don't even watch or play shit that's on the front page unless it appeals to everything I want in a flash game which is very rare to find.


BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:38 AM Reply

Personally, I don't pay much attention to the featured submissions on the frontpage. I do watch through the daily Top 5 when I have the time, and leave reviews for each one. Also skim through all new submissions in the portal, but there are too many of those to leave reviews on all. For me, the title is the most important part of the content. When I view the submission page I also pay attention to author (if it's someone I know or have high expectations of), description (if it seems interesting, if the author has humor) and.. well that's it. Obviously a lot of other aspects probably play a role but those are the ones I knowingly pay attention to.

It's been said before, but the userbase isn't as active as they used to be, either. Maybe FPd submissions gained a bigger response earlier because there weren't so many of them, but anyway, I'll leave a review now. ;)

EVanimations
EVanimations
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Animator
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:01 PM Reply

At 3/3/13 03:38 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Personally, I don't pay much attention to the featured submissions on the frontpage. I do watch through the daily Top 5 when I have the time, and leave reviews for each one. Also skim through all new submissions in the portal, but there are too many of those to leave reviews on all. For me, the title is the most important part of the content. When I view the submission page I also pay attention to author (if it's someone I know or have high expectations of), description (if it seems interesting, if the author has humor) and.. well that's it. Obviously a lot of other aspects probably play a role but those are the ones I knowingly pay attention to.

It's been said before, but the userbase isn't as active as they used to be, either. Maybe FPd submissions gained a bigger response earlier because there weren't so many of them, but anyway, I'll leave a review now. ;)

Shame, that is. The icon and title may have been boring, but now that I think of it the lack of a daily prize is what did me in. To me it feels like I've been failed by the Newgrounds Flash Portal itself (not by Tom and Wade though, they were really cool about it.)

:When I view the submission page I also pay attention to author (if it's someone I know or have high expectations of)

That's where I want to be. I want people to see that I made something and click on my submission regardless of first impressions, like Krinkels or Oney. Now that I know the NG portal probably won't get me there, and is more likely to screw me over at this point, I don't really know where to go. In this later stage of Newgrounds' life as a site, is it too late to gather a large-enough fanbase?

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 04:41 PM Reply

At 3/3/13 03:01 PM, EVanimations wrote: Shame, that is.

At least you got a portal award, each one of those is a merit. :)

That's where I want to be. I want people to see that I made something and click on my submission regardless of first impressions, like Krinkels or Oney. Now that I know the NG portal probably won't get me there, and is more likely to screw me over at this point, I don't really know where to go. In this later stage of Newgrounds' life as a site, is it too late to gather a large-enough fanbase?

Just keep going! Krinkel's created an entire genre, has a day named after his creation, a collection, and he's been around for a long time so measuring up to him in terms of popularity won't be easy. As for Oney, I don't even know who that is, sounds like you have a fighting chance. There are so many more great artists now than there were back then though, the ones that eventually gain most recognition are those that persevere when the other just stop, or those who invent something unique. Don't be discouraged!

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 4th, 2013 @ 09:41 AM Reply

At 3/3/13 03:01 PM, EVanimations wrote: Shame, that is. The icon and title may have been boring, but now that I think of it the lack of a daily prize is what did me in. To me it feels like I've been failed by the Newgrounds Flash Portal itself (not by Tom and Wade though, they were really cool about it.)

Blaming the portal, good grief. On the day your submission got through, there were 5 others which had a better score than your's.

You're lucky to walk away with a weekly award ... probably because the score shot up by being on the front-page.

I want people to see that I made something and click on my submission regardless of first impressions, like Krinkels or Oney. Now that I know the NG portal probably won't get me there, and is more likely to screw me over at this point, I don't really know where to go.

There's not many people who have their work up on front page, yet feel like they've been screwed over.


BBS Signature
EVanimations
EVanimations
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Animator
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 5th, 2013 @ 02:54 AM Reply

At 3/4/13 09:41 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: You're lucky to walk away with a weekly award ... probably because the score shot up by being on the front-page.

I think you missed the point. Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful for the FP and Weekly 5th. In fact, Weekly 5th is the highest-ranking medal I've ever gotten. I'm just unsatisfied with the relative lack of attention the flash has gotten so far compared to everything else that was FP'd at the time, and I'm trying to figure out why that is so I can do better next time and grab peoples' attention better.

There were 5 others which had a better score than your's.

Well damn, I never saw that. I didn't know! I submitted my flash 9AM Wednesday and it didn't pass judgement till 1AM that night! I guess it got rolled over into the next voting day and got lost amongst the riffraff, which would explain why so few people saw it once it was out of judgement.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 5th, 2013 @ 05:15 AM Reply

At 3/5/13 02:54 AM, EVanimations wrote: I think you missed the point. I'm trying to figure out why that is so I can do better next time and grab peoples' attention better.

In the post I was replying to, you said "To me it feels like I've been failed by the Newgrounds Flash Portal itself" and "Now that I know the NG portal probably won't get me there, and is more likely to screw me over at this point". This isn't so much looking to improve your work, but blaming the portal setup itself. Which I was replying to. I got your point.


BBS Signature
Famas
Famas
  • Member since: Nov. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 5th, 2013 @ 12:51 PM Reply

You're no Krinkels or Oney, so I don't know exactly why you think you automatically deserve the same sort of attention as them. Nobody actively screwed you over, the score you get is the score you get. If Newgrounds isn't getting you the type of exposure you thought it would, then the onus is on you to diversify and spread your portfolio to places like youtube and whatnot.


"R.I.P. Gunther Hermann - 2002-2052

He wanted orange. The world gave him lemon-lime"

BBS Signature
EVanimations
EVanimations
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Animator
Response to I was FP'd; why so little feedback? Mar. 5th, 2013 @ 01:28 PM Reply

At 3/5/13 12:51 PM, Famas wrote: You're no Krinkels or Oney, so I don't know exactly why you think you automatically deserve the same sort of attention as them.

I don't. I want to know if/ how I can raise to their level. I'm not some entitled prick, though I definitely think this submission could have performed better than it did.

Nobody actively screwed you over, the score you get is the score you get.

The score it got once out of judgement stayed with it until it got FP'd because nobody saw it after that. No submission gets out of judgement with a truly exceptional score unless you already have a loyal following. I'm happy with the score I have now, it's the lack of feedback I don't understand.

If Newgrounds isn't getting you the type of exposure you thought it would, then the onus is on you to diversify and spread your portfolio to places like youtube and whatnot.

I'm already on Youtube but my subscribers are in the mid-100's range; I'm not really sure how to gain subscribers other than luck and shameless self-promotion. It feels like you can only gain popularity on Youtube if you already have some kind of following from elsewhere. Reddit seems like a great way to get attention but as it's been established, I'm not the best at giving my work attention-grabbing titles and involves more trial/ error.